• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
A new decade is upon us, so let start it right with a new season of anime. The Winter 2020 season has something for everyone, mystery lovers, those who love hyped sport matches, a nice slice of life show to help you forget the suffering of reality and Narag shows....more on that later. So buckle up and see what wonders and production disasters that await us, in this new season of anime in a new decade.
XpPuu3Y.jpg

Anime of the Year Voting Thread

Anime Series of the Decade Voting Thread
The following are some of the potential highlights for this Fall season of anime. Like always, some of these will turn into duds and unforeseen gems in this season could have been overlooked.

Included in this season of the highlights is the Ecchi/Gore warnings which range from None through High. These are the somewhat expected levels of these two potentially off-putting aspects of an anime in each of the highlighted shows. These are iffy ranges, that could be completely thrown off both by changes from the source material and director choices. This iffyness is even more present in original anime or stuff that is being adapted based off properties that have no translations in the west (thus no research/idea of what to really expect in these two areas). So, don't take them as the gospel but rather as an expected range of what you may find in each of these shows.

kHSmcYC.png

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Director: Masaaki Yuasa (Ping Pong: The Animation,
Tatami Galaxy & DEVILMAN crybaby as Director)
Series Composition: Unknown
Studio: Science SARU
Genres: Adventure & Comedy
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Low for both.
Streaming Services: Crunchyroll
PV
May Yuasa bless us once again.

"Asakusa Midori wants to create an anime, but she's too disheartened to make that first step by herself. By pure chance, she meets Mizusaki Tsubame, an up-and-coming socialite secretly dreaming of becoming an animator. Together with Midori's money-loving best friend Kanamori Sayaka, the energetic trio slowly work towards making their "ultimate world" a reality!"

Haikyuu! Season 4

Director: Masako Sato (Haikyuu S2 Eps 8,19 & Haikyuu S3 Ep 4
as Episode Director & Storyborder)
Series Composition: Taku Kishimoto (Haikyuu Seasons 1-3 as Series Composition)
Studio: Production I.G
Genres: Sports
PV

""Inspired after watching a volleyball ace nicknamed "Little Giant" in action, small-statured Shouyou Hinata revives the volleyball club at his middle school. The newly-formed team even makes it to a tournament; however, their first match turns out to be their last when they are brutally squashed by the "King of the Court," Tobio Kageyama. Hinata vows to surpass Kageyama, and so after graduating from middle school, he joins Karasuno High School's volleyball team—only to find that his sworn rival, Kageyama, is now his teammate.

Thanks to his short height, Hinata struggles to find his role on the team, even with his superior jumping power. Surprisingly, Kageyama has his own problems that only Hinata can help with, and learning to work together appears to be the only way for the team to be successful. Based on Haruichi Furudate's popular shounen manga of the same name, Haikyuu!! is an exhilarating and emotional sports comedy following two determined athletes as they attempt to patch a heated rivalry in order to make their high school volleyball team the best in Japan.""

Asteroid in Love

Director: Daisuke Hiramaki (Shirobako Ep 19 & Sakura Quest Eps
6, 14, 22 as Episode Director)
Series Composition: Yuka Yamada (Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
as Series Composition)
Studio: Doga Kobo
Genres: Slice of Life & Comedy
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: None to Low for both.
PV
Your CGDCT of the season, with the theme being star gazing!

"When she was little, Mira Kinohata met a boy named Ao at a campsite in town. While gazing at the starry sky together, Mira learns that there's a star with the same name as herself, but no star named Ao. The two then promised to one day explore asteroids together and find a star to name it after him.

Several years later, Mira enrolls at the Hoshizaki high school and decides to join the astronomy club to fulfill her promise. However, she learns that the astronomy club will be merged with the geological research society to form the earth science club. Reluctantly, Mira goes to the club room and is reunited with Ao Manaka—the person she made the promise to explore asteroids with—and is shocked to learn that she is a girl!"

Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

Director: Masaomi Ando (Scum's Wish & Hakumei and Mikochi as Director)
Series Composition: Yasuhiro Nakanishi (Kaguya-sam: Love is War as Series Composition)
Studio: Lerche
Genres: Supernatural, Comedy & School
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Low to Medium for both.
Streaming Services: Funimation, Animelabs
PV
"At Kamome Academy, rumors abound about the school's Seven Mysteries, one of which is Hanako-san. Said to occupy the third stall of the third floor girls' bathroom in the old school building, Hanako-san grants any wish when summoned. Nene Yashiro, an occult-loving high school girl who dreams of romance, ventures into this haunted bathroom...but the Hanako-san she meets there is nothing like she imagined! Kamome Academy's Hanako-san...is a boy!"

FBcGzfq.png

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo MadokaMagica Gaiden

Directors: Gekidan Inu Curry (Puella Magi Madoka Magica as Production Design)
Series Composition: Gekidan Inu Curry
Studio: SHAFT
Genres: Drama, Psychological & Magic
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Medium for Ecchi elements, and Medium to High for Gore elements.
Streaming Services: Funimation, Animelab, Wakanim, Crunchyroll* and HIDIVE*
(* means week delay)
PV
Our Gacha into Anime of the Season.

"In exchange for the fulfillment of a wish, Magical Girls keep fighting, unbeknownst to the rest of the world. But Iroha Tamaki can't seem to remember her wish. "When I became a Magical Girl, what did I wish for again?" There is a gaping hole in her life. Something important has been lost. But she continues to fight every day, without even knowing why… Then, a rumor begins to spread among Magical Girls. "Magical Girls can be saved if they go to Kamihama." Kamihama City, the city where Magical Girls and Uwasa are gathering. The story of Iroha Tamaki, in search for her lost wish, begins… "

Pet

Director: Takahiro Omori (Baccano!, Duraara!! series and Hell Girl series as Director)
Series Composition: Sadayuki Murai (Perfect Blue as Script Writer and Millennium Actress
as Co-Screenplay Writer alongside Director of the movie Satoshi Kon)
Studio: Geno Studio
Genres: Mystery & Psychological
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Unknown, likely medium too high for both elements.
Streaming Services: Amazon Prime
PV
After being delayed from Fall 2019 at the very last minute, Geno Studio is ready to blow our minds with Pet.

"There are people who can get into people's minds and control their memories. This power is used to eradicate mysteries and cases or worse, to assassinate. The potential of said power is strong enough that it is able to destroy people's minds, however, it can backfire and eat up ones own heart. To counter it, chains are used to lock and protect each other's weak and dangerous hearts. From one's growing fear and disdain, they're consequently called as a "Pet.""

Smile at the Runway

Director: Nobuyoshi Nagayama (Happy Sugar Life as Director)
Series Composition: Touko Machida (Chaika – The Coffin Princess series as Series Composition)
Studio: Ezóla
Genres: Drama & Slice of Life
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Low to Medium for Ecchi, None to Low for Gore.
Streaming Services: Funimation and Animelabs
PV
"Ever since she was little, Chiyuki's dream was to be the star model of her dad's agency and perform at Paris Fashion Week. With great looks and a gifted environment, it seemed like she was on the right track to fulfill her dream, but she soon found herself faced with a seemingly insurmountable wall when her height stopped growing at 158 cm; too short to be a professional model.

Although Chiyuki still kept on believing in herself for years despite everyone telling her it's impossible, Chiyuki's resolve starts to crumble as she enters her last year of high school. This is when she meets Tsumura Ikuto, a lame classmate with a surprising talent for designing clothes, who is also considering giving up his dream due to unfortunate circumstances. Together, they begin the journey of doing the impossible in order to realize their dreams."

A Certain Scientific Railgun Season 3

Director: Tatsuyuki Nagai (A Certain Scientific Railgun series as Director)
Series Composition: Shogo Yasukawa (Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma series as Series Composition)
Studio: J.C. Staff
Genres: Action & Sci-fi
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Low to Medium for both.
Streaming Services: Crunchyroll?
PV
Let us all pray that the third season of Railgun doesn't end up like the mess of a third and final season Index did.

"The student-filled Academy City is at the forefront of scientific advancement and home to the esper development program. The seven "Level 5" espers are the most powerful in Academy City, and ranked third among them is middle schooler Mikoto Misaka, an electricity manipulator known as "The Railgun.""

QghugFw.png

Healin' GoodPrecure

Director: Yoko Ikeda (Thriller Restaurant and Precure Super Stars! Movie as Director)
Series Composition: Junko Komura (Hugtto! Precure Futari wa Precure
All Stars Memories Movie as Script Writer)
Studio: Toei Animation
Genres: Magic, Fantasy & Action
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: None for both.
Streaming Services: Out on the open seas…..
PV

It's a Precure you know what to expect, some great sakuga, some fun stories and lots of reused transformation animation. Seeing as this will likely be the last time I will be doing the Anime OT when it comes to the season of Winter, which is when Precure always comes out. I felt that I needed to highlight this series at least one time, since it is a generally overlooked series when it comes to western viewers.

(Note: Machine Translation)
"Healing the earth and "treating"
The secret world [Healing Garden]
Crush the earth, try to get sick
[Bjögens] in the raid
Earth is in a big pinch due to crisis!

To save this pinch,
The three escaped "Doctors of the Earth"
Healing animals,
In "Healing Garden Princess"
With a latte with [Special Power]
I came to find a partner!

Three ordinary girls meet them
Transform into Pretty Cure and confront Bjorgens! "

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense

Directors: Mirai Minato (Masamune-kun's Revenge as Director) &
Shin Oonuma (Natsu no Arashi! series and Pani Poni Dash as Director)
Series Composition: Fumihiko Shimo (New Game! Series and
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells Your Lift as Series Composition)
Studio: SILVER Link
Genres: Action, Adventure & Comedy
Streaming Services: Funimation
PV
I will only use said name for this show above, and not the clusterfuck of a name that is attached to its localized name for it's Light Novel. We got no Isekai this season, so here is a cute & relaxing VRMMO type anime.

"After receiving an invitation from her friend Risa Shiromine, Kaede Honjou begins playing the VRMMO game New World Online as the character Maple. Lacking knowledge of the game, she allocates all her status points to defense. As a result, her movements are slow, she cannot use magic, and even gets attacked by the rabbits. However, she obtains a skill called "Absolute Defense" due to maxing out her vitality points, and a counter skill that kills in a single hit. A "mobile fortress style" novice with a poisonous skill that makes all attacks invalid and overrides all obstacles, she goes off to adventures, disregarding her irregularities."

ID: INVADED

Director: Ei Aoki (Fate/Zero S1-2 and Re:CREATORS as Director)
Series Composition: Otaro Maijo (Biorg Trinity and Spotless Love: This Love
Can't be Any More Beautiful as writing half of a Mangaka Duo)
Studio: NAZ
Genres: Mystery & Sci-fi
Ecchi and/or Gore Warning: Medium to High for Both.
Streaming Services: Funimation
PV
The most likely to turn into a train-wreck of the shows included in these highlights for this season. You have Ei Aoki who while did direct those shows mentioned above, also directed Aldnoah.Zero series. Then you have Otaro Maijo, who while wrote those mangas above also wrote the bizarre Jorge Joestar novel and gave us the middling The Dragon Dentist anime specials. Finally, we have the most potentially train wrecking cause of them all; with it is being animated by NAZ who...have a bad record when it comes to quality animation.

"Sakaido is a genius detective who can track down any criminal. But when his daughter is murdered, revenge lands him on the other side of the law. Now in prison, he helps the police solve mysteries using a system that invades a person's identity. Little by little, a trail of blood forms, and it all leads back to his daughter's murderer."

THE NARAG QUARANTINE ZONE

All who walk past this point may experience sin that isn't meant for mortals, you've been warned.

We use this final spot for five shows for the price of one, with this decade starting off by giving us five different Naragian shows in a single season. As you go further down this list, so does the amount of potential sin associated with each show grows.

Uchitama?! Have you seen my Tama?
PV

The least sinful looking of the five, seems like a simple slice of life anime that is being done 95% by Lapin Track (if the Sarazanmai partnership between Lapin Track and MAPPA is anything to go by).

"A brand new and modern version of Tama, the popular cat who debuted in 1983, and his friends come to life!"

Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!!
PV

A new spin-off season of Show By Rock!! this time being produced at Kinema Citrus. We can use the prior seasons of the series as the benchmark of what type of Nargain sin one can expect, which isn't that much.

"New Show by Rock!! TV Series featuring the new band Mashumairesh!!."

Seton Academy: Join the Pack!
PV

Now we enter the start of our descent into sin, with the running theme of interspecies relationships. This anime is being animated at Studio Gokumi and is being directed by Hiroshi Ikehata, who directed Mahojin Guru Guru and Robot Girls Z series. It's not best to think about how any of these animals (with small mammals in particular) were able to reproduce...

"Seton Academy, a school full of animals where, thanks to population decline, there are fewer humans than any other creature. Mazama Jin, an animal hater and the only human male in his class, falls in love with Hino Hitomi, the only female human, the moment he lays eyes her. However he soon finds himself entangled with various other creatures after he reluctantly joins the 'pack' of Lanka the wolf, the only other member of her pack."

Nekopara
PV

Our day of reckoning is upon us, Felix Films has brought this sin that can't be sealed into this world. Pray for humanity, pray for ourselves, for the first sin of Naragian culture is upon us.

"You don't need a synopsis, we all know what Nekopara is and what it entails"

Interspecies Reviewers
No SFW PV's so...no​

A sin that is greater then Nekopara, a show who's whole purpose is about having sex with monster girls (full on cat girls included) at brothels and reviewing said sex….we have truly strayed from the light.

"In our world, the human race constantly debates about several important issues, such as: which girl is the best girl? How good is something as fapping material? Which fetish is the sexiest?
Accompany these great warriors as they present us with different girls, different opinions, different boners, and show us that the fantasy world may not be all that different from ours."

NARAG QUARANTINE ZONE END

Resources:
Winter 2020 Shows
Winter 2020, Who Has What Shows
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Results
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Results Full Spreadsheet Doc
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Voting Thread
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2017 Results

Discussion Ground Rules:
- Please do not discuss piracy.
- Please keep it work-safe.
- Please do not be stupid.
-DONT POST ANITUBER VIDEOS (In Particular the big name ones Gigg, Mother's Basement, Digi etc..(Those three in particular endorsed the scams of Flying Colors and/or Otakucoin), Baka-Bishie's post found here explains the rational of why this rule was put into place and links resources to more details on what occurred during one of these scams. Smaller Youtube channel videos can be posted, but please only post them if you think it if you think it will cause actual discussion or gives non-low hanging fruit knowledge.

Last edited:

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
A new year, a new decade, and a new chance to fall off posting because my life gets too hectic to keep up with a weekly schedule with nine shows at once.

I, for one, couldn't be more excited to repeat that experience. -_-

Thankfully, I don't think I'll have to, because even with leftover shows this season looks ROUGH.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I was promised flying anime in the future. I am disappointed.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching MHA, Magia Record, and Isekai Quartet 2. Maybe the romcom with the scientists since it has adults.

This might be a season where I focus on checking out classics that I never got around to.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Machikado Mazoku (Final)

FDMtfNx.gif

xriN429.jpg

What a hilarious and adorable show. The perfect thing to start the new year off with.

Came for the usual Doga Kobo like CGDCT to watch while eating, left with a wholesome story of a demon girl helping her magical girl frenemy cope with PTSD. I expected a regular SoL with magical antics so I was surprised to see a really interesting mystery and plot building towards the end (which we won't see the meat off until later on). The little twist at the end of the final episode had an unexpected emotional impact that'll makes rewatching the season more interesting. There's just a lot of foreshadowing and set up going on in general and it's pretty awesome.

Machiko's tail was so expressive, almost like it was its own character. It conveyed so much visual information and gave the viewers a peek into her thoughts and feelings. Great example of show, don't tell. Lilith was absolutely hilarious and all the gags with her in the statue were amazing. She just has the worst luck and Momo should stop bullying her but at the same time, it results in great comedy. I love the OP and especially the ridiculously high energy ED as well. The side characters are all really weird and colorful, especially Shamiko's mom.

I really enjoyed this and I hope it gets another season.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Well hello.

Beastars S1-End
wow. This was a much better ride than I ever imagined... S2 hype.

We Never Learn S2 -End
That was such a lame reveal/ending to the show. I mean, the rest of the show was pretty fun, buuuuuut that ending..... blurrggg

Oct 25, 2017
oof this season is dire. there dorohedoro and magia record which are like a coin flip if they will turn out watchable and then haikyuu, which its been so long im not sure if i care anymore

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I guess if I do the usual of just watching adaptions of things I know, there's Railgun, Infinite Dendogram, Bofuri.
But outside the kind of interesting first few chapters, Bofuri quickly got boring when the MC went the usual LN protag route of being super Overpowered. And the MC is the only kind of interesting character.

I like Dendogram, but there's nothing particularly special about it(except, maybe the MC avoiding being an overpowered, harem LN protagonist). But the anime character designs seem kind of off and with weird washed-out? colors.

Railgun, well, the OP, mentioned the problems with the newest Index anime. I think I did hear the anime is actually doing all canon stuff, rather than going half anime-original plots, though.

I think I vaguely recognize a few others, but remember nothing of them.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Haikyuu 4 and Madoka is good. Might just catch up on Vinland Saga, MHA and Beastars this season.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Welp I knew it would be impossible to beat Winter 2019...but man is that list empty. Glad I decided to catch up on Haikyuu!!.

Anyone know anything about The Case Files of Jeweler Richard? It has a BL vibe that I can't quite shake even if the description feels like a mystery show.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Still watching Dr. Stone and Yaiba, which seems to be a good thing since there doesn't seem to be a lot for me this season. Meh...

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Only one from this season is Haikyuu for me. I'll probably be catching up on Beastars and Vinland Saga and continue whatever shows in my queue like Re:Zero especially with the new directors cut coming out.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken, but I feel like I'm going to be watching a lot of my backlog this season because I bought too much at the Sentai sale again, lol.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy - Bewitching Melody of the West

Come for Lang Wu Yao's origin story, stay for Shang Bu Huan murdering 700 people with random pieces of bamboo lying around.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So... no Chihayafuru episode this week right? I can't be angry, they spoil us a lot the first two weeks. Maybe I should watch Re:Zero for first time.

What is a Narag? Explained by Professor moogs.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
TL note: Narag means , as a colloquial term, which can be read as "kedamono" or "kemono" in Romaji 「that's Japanese but romanized so gaijin [a foreigner, aka you, can wakarimasu (that means understand)]」. This denotes beings with the ears and/or shippo (that means tail) among other possible characteristics of beasts, and it can extend to full animal features, such as full-body , which is pronounced with the hiragana syllable "ke" but shouldn't be confused with the Spanish word qué because then you'll cause confusion when trying to talk about any of this because the "も" (mo) and "の" (no) that make up kemono sounds exactly like moño (that means monkey) so you'll end up asking about the particulars of a monkey when really you're after the fuwa-fuwa (that means soft) tail of any furry friend, like: 🐈 👋 (note the proximity). A quick example of proper use would be the following inquiry: "What greater gift than the love of a [narag]?" (C. Dickens). However, a key difference between narag and just kemono is that it can be used to describe all feline or feline-like creatures as well but is not limited to only the (that means "neko", which means cat) gensus, so caution is advised. It's suggested to contact your local Japanese furry expert (that means sensei) for further setsumei (that means explanation) :3
TL note 2: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Unleash the narag.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Gundam ZZ 1?
Is prelude to ZZ really the first episode? I skipped most of it because it was just a recap.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Haikyuu and ?? The Season

Hope something interesting bubbles up to the top

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really behind right now so I haven't even started looking at what's going on for this season. Checking out the Yuasa show makes sense, and obviously there is Haikyuu. I will watch Interspecies Review in support of friend Narag.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to make time for more old anime this year, so I smashed through the 2004 New Getter Robo after Christmas. It was generally pretty fun, but it was fascinating coming to this after Gurren Lagann and seeing just how much the Anti-Spirals and their fear of Spiral Energy are direct copies of the Four Heavenly Kings and their fear of Getter Energy. I know Gurren Lagann was intended to homage a lot of Mecha, but the parallels here were incredibly direct.
It probably helps that Getter Two also has a giant drill arm.
Aside from that it was a pretty fun romp about a group of arseholes totally fucking up a variety of monsters with their cool robot.

I've also been working my way through Blue Seed since after it popped up on Crunchyroll a while back, and seeing that it was from the author of 3x3 Eyes and All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku While it's not great, it's fun remembering that shows like this used to exist that fused genres like action, horror, romance, travel documentaries, historical drama and even an idol contest episode all in one show. Weirdly it puts me in mind of Escaflowne in some ways, like how the main character isn't really the guy doing all the fighting but the girl who helps him out and develops a romance with him.
You sure see the main character's panties a whole lot, though, enough that it actually turns into a running gag culminating in the rest of the cast buying her a pair with some writing on to help her send a message.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Haikyu!! 11
So apparently their female manager is an important character? I think she's had barely 5 lines in 12 episodes and looks set to be ogled at some more next episode. Joy.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
There are at least two shows that have a strong possibility of not turning into a hate watch. What a great season.

That Pet anime has had it's OP out (or leaked?) for a while now:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.