• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
And his accent is lovely.

But this is definitely around the time in the manga I started coming around on Taichi, myself, mostly thanks to his increased interest in Karuta for his own sake rather than a proxy to try and get together with Chihaya. (FWIW this is based on stuff we've seen like his attending the Meijin Qualifier).

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Taichi more as a character compared to Arata, but Arata is the better love interest for Chihaya. He's a sweet boy who is pretty respectful of Chihaya. Taichi is mostly a petty Rich kid who's pretty successful at pretty much everything except the thing Chihaya's heart is entwined to. And he has an unhealthy mindset of Chihaya being something to win.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Dorohedoro 01

Not sure why, but I think this En guy might be a little weird.
JkD0jj2.jpg

I'm only 4 volumes in with the manga but En is so extra and I love him for it.

The series is ostensibly about Caiman trying to solve his mystery with Nikaido but the more they show of En's sorcerer family the more I'm rooting for them. Look forward to meeting heart man and muscle girl next week.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
My take on Taichi is that his arc is about him realizing his own passion for Karuta that can't just be driven by his interest in Chihaya. While I do not think it's healthy for him to have started this whole Karuta thing to "win" over Chihaya, it's pretty clear why that he feels he is behind Arata in Karuta. My take is that he mostly wanted to be seen as an equal to Arata so Chihaya would notice him (quite frankly Chihaya's other interests are not a thing this show explores). That endgoal is not the same as using his victory as some weird tropey "victory is mine and now you shall be my bride" ego trip.

I for one would be fine with him just realizing he likes Karuta and that's sort of where these past few episodes have focused.

I also would rather this end with neither over Arata. He is super nice and has a cute accent, but he is not a compelling character. Half of his scenes are just flashbacks to that first Karuta game and you can't just build a character on that and your grandfather's legacy every time. He needs more screen time, more of that team recruiting, more self reflection that is not just Karuta or Chihaya.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
My take on Taichi is that his arc is about him realizing his own passion for Karuta that can't just be driven by his interest in Chihaya. While I do not think it's healthy for him to have started this whole Karuta thing to "win" over Chihaya, it's pretty clear why that he feels he is behind Arata in Karuta. My take is that he mostly wanted to be seen as an equal to Arata so Chihaya would notice him (quite frankly Chihaya's other interests are not a thing this show explores). That endgoal is not the same as using his victory as some weird tropey "victory is mine and now you shall be my bride" ego trip.

I for one would be fine with him just realizing he likes Karuta and that's sort of where these past few episodes have focused.

I also would rather this end with neither over Arata. He is super nice and has a cute accent, but he is not a compelling character. Half of his scenes are just flashbacks to that first Karuta game and you can't just build a character on that and your grandfather's legacy every time. He needs more screen time, more of that team recruiting, more self reflection that is not just Karuta or Chihaya.
Chihaya has no other interests outside of Karuta. She's becoming a teacher just so she can be a Karuta club advisor.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
A Destructive God Sits Next to Me 1
EOCyzpVXUAEXIoD

Me 2 minutes in: Oh, this is like Chuunibiyo, but without the romance parts
Me, at the end of the episode: Oh, this is like Chuunibiyo, but with super gay undertones that can barely be considered undertones. Also, I can't believe that Nintendo did a 3 minute paid infomercial for Animal Crossing 3DS in the middle of a 2020 anime. Also, why is the main character a catboy (complete with tail) and no one says anything. Why are there so many cat-people this season.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have to think Arata is not a big mess to think Arata is also boring. He has a cute moment once a season. We just don't see whats going on in his head that much and its not obvious from his actions either.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I guess it's better than letting the high school teacher hit on a high school student.
Or he could tell him to stop hitting on a high school student since he is a teacher. You know, telling the truth instead of lying his way out of the problem.
Taichi is a salty boy who gets easily flustered when he perceives others encroaching in what he considers "his territory". I'm betting a penny that Taichi would just mind his business if the high scholl student that was being hit on was someone other than Chihaya.
Funny how the thread has a spike of participation because of (friendly) husbando wars. :)

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Or he could tell him to stop hitting on a high school student since he is a teacher. You know, telling the truth instead of lying his way out of the problem.
Taichi is a salty boy who gets easily flustered when he perceives others encroaching in what he considers "his territory". I'm betting a penny that Taichi would just mind his business if the high scholl student that was being hit on was someone other than Chihaya.
Funny how the thread has a spike of participation because of (friendly) husbando wars. :)

I mean the episode was a two sided offensive in the husbando wars! Can't just sit idley and not take a side. But yeah this is just Karuta team dangling carrots in front of us before their eventual slam victory.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Suo is just a cram school tutor iirc. Still he's got like 10 years on Chihaya since he's been in college for 8 years which is pretty yikes.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Despite not getting much characterization, it's hard not to root for Arata since he's only really had karuta vs privileged ass Taichi who had everything growing up (except Chihaya lols). As we see more of Arata, I like that he's not just some nice kid but can feel jealous and competitive outside of the game and that despite being an incredible player, he still has much to learn.

I love both of these boys and I think they deserve someone better than Chihaya. She's always been selfish but the Kyoto arc kinda hammered in the fact that the only thing in hear head is karuta. Every aspect of her life now revolves around karuta. Even when she should be supporting her friends, she's only thinking about karuta. Thats why Chihaya x Daddy Bear is the OTP.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Gundam vs Hello Kitty 1-3. ....I think Kitty White just needs to enter all Gundam series to bring peace of the galaxy :x

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Ascendance of a Bookworm 11-14 END

This has been such a strange show for most of the part, the story seemed almost aimless, nothing to indicate where it would head or if it would head anywhere interesting. I was beginning to think I made a mistake, though I was curious if indeed was going to end as unremarkable as it started off, given we're hinted about the end right at the very beginning.

Well, here we are, except it wasn't so much how Ascendance was ending at this point but it really seems to begin here. The initial segment of the show extensively gushed on all about Main's obsession with books (just an obsession to read, I wish this had better depth) and her other-worldly knowledge that helped her around financially but they're playing a bigger part than in the past only now. While it's understandable that Main needs to survive, find a profession and ultimately relive her obsession in this life - it never seemed to rise up beyond that. Don't get me wrong, that's actually enough elements to begin with but her talents and means are far more mundane for the viewers than they are to the characters of the show. Though, there is some world building here in the context of the trade, social structure and economics (and those one or two plants that seemed to have their use) - it's still really rudimentary. I suppose the most interesting tid bit was the idea of contracts binded by magic.

The 'world building' is where these last few episodes shine in understanding the theism of this world told through beautiful drawings and the social dynamic between Nobles and commoners. We remain as clueless as Main relying solely based on our interactions with the church who mistook her to be a Noble. Even while the reactions of Benno and her parents hinted on potential danger we never really realize this until the moment her parents meet the Head Priest. It all comes together elegantly at this point - not just the events of this final arc but also taking note of the Nobility's influence since the very beginning. This status quo is likely what Main's struggle is going to be from this point which seems more interesting.

All this is while the show remains consistently decent in terms of the character art and animation, if not also with geat background art. I do wonder if HosannaExcelsis watched it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only 4 volumes in with the manga but En is so extra and I love him for it.

The series is ostensibly about Caiman trying to solve his mystery with Nikaido but the more they show of En's sorcerer family the more I'm rooting for them. Look forward to meeting heart man and muscle girl next week.
He essentially plays the straight man to the rest of his familys insanity.
And is the best character in the series bar none.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Should I watch Assassination Classroom or read the manga? A friend recommended me the show a while back, but I can get all volumes of the manga for around €100 right now, which is pretty tempting.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The show has gorgeous colors. They really pop. One of the most colorful series I can remember. Solid dub too.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Should I watch Assassination Classroom or read the manga? A friend recommended me the show a while back, but I can get all volumes of the manga for around €100 right now, which is pretty tempting.
i enjoyed the anime but have no idea if there were many differences from the manga but you can get the boxset of the manga for 87 eur from bookdepository if you take that path

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Re: Zero - Rewatch 1-25

Well, like a fool I started re-watching Re: Zero not realizing that they were getting re-released as a bunch of OVA's with additional stuff.

With that out of the way though...fuck, what a good anime. It stands on it's own as an actual good Isekai, while also succeeding as a deconstruction of the entire genre. I love the way Subaru slowly and mostly organically figures shit out, screwing up realistically and making mistakes both out of his inexperience in the world he's found himself in and out of his misplaced good intentions. The supporting cast are all mostly excellent, with the standouts of course being Emilia and Rem, with Emila serving as the focal point of the overarching narrative and Rem serving as Subaru's greatest supporter (and best girl). Rem's speech to Subaru imagining the life they might have if they simply run away together is still one of the most poignant and earnest monologues in recent anime, it's heartwarming and heartbreaking all at once.

The series isn't perfect; Subaru's sudden shift in characterization towards the middle that leads to a schism between him and Emilia seems forced and out of character; and the suffering that he's forced to go through as a result jumps the shark from "redeeming" to "sadistic" in the span of a single episode. However, the over the top suffering does serve the narrative theme of foiling the Isekai Power Fantasy trope; though it does so very heavy handedly.

I'm really looking forward to the second season on this one.

Oct 25, 2017
There werent any major differences in plot (some content was brushed over/skipped in the anime, so the manga fleshed out some characters better), but I thought some of the imagery in the manga was done much better there than in the anime...also I love all the manga covers one of my favorite manga purchases.

Anime is really good and hilarious. Voices were great too and made content funny if not funner, or more suspenseful.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The series isn't perfect; Subaru's sudden shift in characterization towards the middle that leads to a schism between him and Emilia seems forced and out of character; and the suffering that he's forced to go through as a result jumps the shark from "redeeming" to "sadistic" in the span of a single episode. However, the over the top suffering does serve the narrative theme of foiling the Isekai Power Fantasy trope; though it does so very heavy handedly.
While I would say that the author could have handled the middle better, I would disagree that it feels forced and out of character.

you have to remember all of that mental damage that keeps building up. He tries to rationalize it, but it starts blurring together, making it nearly impossible for him to remember what really happened and what didn't, where he eventually tries to justify going through it in his own head that he's some sort of hero and thus he needs to be there to protect Emilia (it fits even better if you buy into the theory that part of the witch's curse on him is to be obsessed about Emilia in general)

It makes sense from a character standpoint that he would go like that, and that he would have problems dealing with what he went through. The Author just went a bit overboard and didn't quite build it right, but that whole thing is supposed to be about him dealing with that mental anguish, and it's something I really appreciated after the fact (I hated it while it was airing :P) I wish it was done better, but it's something rarely touched on in detail like that, and for good reason... It's really freaken hard to break a character like that and still have people like him. It's hard for a lot of people to actually sympathize with someone having mental issues who is just lashing out at those around them.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Ascendance of a Bookworm 11-14 END

This has been such a strange show for most of the part, the story seemed almost aimless, nothing to indicate where it would head or if it would head anywhere interesting. I was beginning to think I made a mistake, though I was curious if indeed was going to end as unremarkable as it started off, given we're hinted about the end right at the very beginning.

Well, here we are, except it wasn't so much how Ascendance was ending at this point but it really seems to begin here. The initial segment of the show extensively gushed on all about Main's obsession with books (just an obsession to read, I wish this had better depth) and her other-worldly knowledge that helped her around financially but they're playing a bigger part than in the past only now. While it's understandable that Main needs to survive, find a profession and ultimately relive her obsession in this life - it never seemed to rise up beyond that. Don't get me wrong, that's actually enough elements to begin with but her talents and means are far more mundane for the viewers than they are to the characters of the show. Though, there is some world building here in the context of the trade, social structure and economics (and those one or two plants that seemed to have their use) - it's still really rudimentary. I suppose the most interesting tid bit was the idea of contracts binded by magic.

The 'world building' is where these last few episodes shine in understanding the theism of this world told through beautiful drawings and the social dynamic between Nobles and commoners. We remain as clueless as Main relying solely based on our interactions with the church who mistook her to be a Noble. Even while the reactions of Benno and her parents hinted on potential danger we never really realize this until the moment her parents meet the Head Priest. It all comes together elegantly at this point - not just the events of this final arc but also taking note of the Nobility's influence since the very beginning. This status quo is likely what Main's struggle is going to be from this point which seems more interesting.

All this is while the show remains consistently decent in terms of the character art and animation, if not also with geat background art. I do wonder if HosannaExcelsis watched it.
Isn't a second cour coming soon?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
My local theater sadly isn't showing it. I've asked them and they're looking into doing a one time screening, but that's probably too expensive.
I can't imagine my local theater is taking a loss on the screenings otherwise they wouldn't be increasing them. So I would guess it's at most a few hundred to license otherwise my theater would be losing money as they only usually do 1-4 showings that can only support 40 people or so lol.

so perhaps your theater will give it a try down the line. Odds are there will be a new Dragon ball movie next year so that would be a great one for them to try as DB draws people still :P

Status
Not open for further replies.