• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2017
I'd argue Zel was adventurous too considering the uhh...."work out" he got from the slime girl.
Yeah, "Zellie" definitely was quite the adventurer. The uncensored version is one frame away from an actual tentacle hentai.

"Stunkette" and "Challison"(or "Chalmie", if you prefer the manga version) erred by being overly cautious, and didn't experience the full package (pun intended).

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Woo new Studio Colorido film!

Studio Colorido announced on Tuesday that it will release Nakitai Watashi wa Neko o Kaburu(Wanting to Cry, I Pretend to Be a Cat) as its second feature-length anime film on June 5.

Last edited:

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura Quest END

Well damn, this was a pretty nice feel-good show. I may have gotten my hopes a little too high going into it considering how much I loved Hanasaku Iroha, but it definitely didn't disappoint in the end. Add this to the pile with the rest of the shows I really wish I'd seen closer to release. Something I actually realized with this show and Tsukigakirei, both airing around the same time in 2017, is that that year seemed to be pretty damn good for anime and looking at the other shows that aired that year, I suppose it's not surprising they slipped under the radar a bit. I was mainly sticking to playing games that year (which was also an amazing one for gaming), so I missed out on so much back then. I'm sure I'll keep missing out on stuff too since I'm spending so much time catching up (still have 16 BD sets to get through and like 8 others I'm about to buy) but fuck if the last month hasn't really rekindled my love of watching anime.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken 4
Wow, they did such a great job. I loved that the audience got immersed in the short and suddenly car everything in colour and felt all the action.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018

This looks so gorgeous and adorable!

I have been watching Toradora since yesterday. Yo thats one addictive show. Already on Ep.19. The one one thing i dont like so far: Kushieda. I dont see whats her purpose besides being the MC love interest. She reminds me of Mako from Kill la Kill. Also the way she treated Ryujii lately and then in the end dumped him was really shitty. She didnt even looked up in that conversation.

Last edited:

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The animation in that Ghost in the Shell trailer is very good. Better than something like Beastars. It's the artstyle that's kinda offputting. It's too soft/empty/plastic-looking. Compare this to something like that recent Lupin the Third movie and it's a day and night difference in CGI.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, on a technical level this CG animation is superior to the CG animation in Dorohedoro. It's just that the aesthetic design is so incredibly inferior. I don't like Shinji Aramaki's style in any instance, but it looks really bad when not using photorealistic designs.
Yeah, I hate Shinji Aramaki's work. Kenji Kamiyama's 3D stuff is pretty bunk too, and now we're stuck with the two of them co-directing at least 3 more shows :/ I'm semi-curious about the writing staff they assemble - the original SAC was kind of absurdly stacked in that aspect, but a lot of the people who helped there are busy on their own projects.

Doesn't help that Ilya Kuvshinov's designs for SAC are just blagh. Never really got any of the Kuvshinov popularity in the first place, especially with the rampant plagiarism and all, but now having them as a full-fledged character designer is so confusing.

EDIT: Speaking of the SAC writing staff, Dai Sato (who wrote a bunch of the best episodes / in general has been consistently great throughout his career) has a new original Mappa show:

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hate Shinji Aramaki's work. Kenji Kamiyama's 3D stuff is pretty bunk too, and now we're stuck with the two of them co-directing at least 3 more shows :/ I'm semi-curious about the writing staff they assemble - the original SAC was kind of absurdly stacked in that aspect, but a lot of the people who helped there are busy on their own projects.

Doesn't help that Ilya Kuvshinov's designs for SAC are just blagh. Never really got any of the Kuvshinov popularity in the first place, especially with the rampant plagiarism and all, but now having them as a full-fledged character designer is so confusing.

EDIT: Speaking of the SAC writing staff, Dai Sato (who wrote a bunch of the best episodes / in general has been consistently great throughout his career) has a new original Mappa show:

I feel like I'm more excited for the anime originals this year than the adaptations.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Pet #4

cqtdqi3.jpg

gktonUK.jpg

clPyZPA.jpg
Does everyone in this show have mommy issues.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken 1
Wow, incredible first episode. It's a very different take on animation than Shirobako which was must more industry focused, even in that first ep, but it's so imaginative and adventurous and even the 'grounded' sections are strange and just a bit off kilter in a really appealing way. The scene of nervously exchanging sketchbooks was so real (model-san's anatomy studies are on point). The slapstick with the guard was also hilarious in an almost loony toons kinda way.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Samurai Champloo 19
I really liked this episode. Champloo just had too many episodes focusing on petty gang stuff that these other episodes stand out.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
EDIT: Dai Sato (who wrote a bunch of the best episodes / in general has been consistently great throughout his career) has a new original Mappa show:
LF3JC5X.gif

I do love how Colorido works look.
Oh ...

RIP

Pet 01
Given the (I assume) sort of fake out nature of this ep, this probably warrants another to make sure what it really is but it really didn't grab me and the technical execution doesn't really do it favours so into the bin it goes.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
LF3JC5X.gif

I do love how Colorido works look.

Oh ...

RIP

Pet 01
Given the (I assume) sort of fake out nature of this ep, this probably warrants another to really make sure what it really is but it really didn't grab me and the technical execution doesn't really do it favours so into the bin it goes.
For context, Pet was broadcast as a two-parter / isn't really meant to be watched as a single episode (which was a huge fuck-up on the part of streaming services who just released a single episode that week anyway).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
man im still thinkin about eizoken and i only watched one ep

thats power

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
YouTube recommendations delivers again:

Can't believe I knew nothing about this, but glad I'm stumbled across it, seeing stuff like this after also seeing Studio Colorido announce a new movie makes me somewhat hopeful about the next generation of anime.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Babylon Ep. 12 (END)

What the hell. What did the show want to say? What was the point of this? What the fuck was this ending?

This show started promising with a ridiculous but unique premise but just went to shit as soon as the show returned from its break. What a shame, I really enjoyed Babylon despite how pretentious it seemed but this ending is just the worst. And Ai Magase was not a good villain nor was the plotline with the mayor resolved. Was the suicide-law adopted or not? We will never know.

Was the introduction of the GAMER president truly necessary?

No answers to any questions. Nothing. What a waste. What a shame.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain

I didn't expect a new series scripted by Sato, it looks really good. I suppose Carole and Tuesday is leaving a nice way for more non-idol, original anime series about playing and producing music.

I have already watched Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain and Samurai Champloo, and the few episodes he wrote in those series were pretty great. I am also interested in his more personal works (especially Eureka SeveN), so this could be the year for me to watch those.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

Canon ending for Symphogear.

Not that there was any doubt after the season 5 epilogue but it's nice to have a visual confirmation.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
A Certain Scientific Railgun S - Episode 5
It got really dark now.
2 weeks ago I didn't even know this show existed and that it was part of the Index universe consisting of over 40 books and several spin-offs.
Now I'm knee deep into this.

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ahiru no Sora

There are some things with sports anime that you just kind of have to close a part of your brain to enjoy. "Wow they went up 2 points, can we ever catch up, maybe they're just too good for us?". Saying that when your 1 minute into a game like what.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
For context, Pet was broadcast as a two-parter / isn't really meant to be watched as a single episode (which was a huge fuck-up on the part of streaming services who just released a single episode that week anyway).
Oh, that would make sense, it did feel weird to leave things hanging in that spot.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Babylon had a strong first episode, an almost OK first half until the hatchet dismembering. A boring and pointless second half until the G7 summit which is the most inane anime episode I have watched in an extremely long time. And then it gets a nothingburger of an ending with maybe one salvageable scene that is not even the final scene.

Sasuga from the author of "Kado, the right answer", or as the say: Fool me once... I don't think there's ever going to be a thrice for me.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Chihayafuru S3 16
Taichi hitting his weekly lie quota.

The Santa scene is incredible. More silly club antics are always welcome.

Ah yes, The King and Queen matches. Should be a a perfect place for Chihaya and Arata to meet again... oh. Well at least we can get Arata's analysis of stream culture.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Babylon had a strong first episode, an almost OK first half until the hatchet dismembering. A boring and pointless second half until the G7 summit which is the most inane anime episode I have watched in an extremely long time. And then it gets a nothingburger of an ending with maybe one salvageable scene that is not even the final scene.

Sasuga from the author of "Kado, the right answer", or as the say: Fool me once... I don't think there's ever going to be a thrice for me.
And the director of Psycho-Pass S2! A true dream team.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I have to admit I like the idea of an antagonist like Magase Ai (who I have compared to the Mule, from The Foundation) more than most people in this thread but she was only used effectively in like three episodes out of twelve.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I got around to seeing Devilman Crybaby. I didn't like the artstyle initially of the first episode. As I kept watching, I got hooked and couldn't stop. Even when I needed sleep, all I thought was about Devilman Crybaby to see what happens next. The tears wouldn't stop when I reached near the end. Had no idea this was a re-adaptation of the manga from the 70s. It really took me by surprise at how it ended. I can see why people praised it now.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So I got around to seeing Devilman Crybaby. I didn't like the artstyle initially of the first episode. As I kept watching, I got hooked and couldn't stop. Even when I needed sleep, all I thought was about Devilman Crybaby to see what happens next. The tears wouldn't stop when I reached near the end. Had no idea this was a re-adaptation of the manga from the 70s. It really took me by surprise at how it ended. I can see why people praised it now.
Never forget.

:*(

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say Babylon is the worst anime I've seen because Glasslip still exists, but it's up there. It certainly ended with a bang tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.