• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Basically every match? People just sit down quiet
Also no, tennis isn't more of a mental game than Volleyball, and volleyball require a lot of skill too. If anything because it is a team sport it requires more than Tennis because there are more people, on your side and the opposite, that you need to consider while playing.
OK_thumb.png

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I dont understand how someone can expect focus on both genders on a team sport anime, the focus is on the team of the main character and its rivals, they would need to make a completely separate storyline to focus on a female team and by that point might as well write a spin-off.
Also the main cast is bland?? Kageyama is a bit boring but the rest the team has great and/or funny personalities with Hinata, Nishinoya, Tanaka and Tsukishima.
Also Volleyball is much better than Tennis for me. For me Tennis was always a rich people sport so I can't help but view it with disdain. And the crowd is equally boring, tho in Rio olympics it was much better because it was the first time I saw a Tennis match with people cheering.

Attack no 1 did this, though much later. It devoted one episode to the men's national team reaching the final and losing to the Soviet Union, while the women's team beat them. One player of the men's team was friends and advisor to the MC. Earlier it also featured friendly matches between boys and girls. Soviet Union junior girls team beat a boys high school team easily, while the Japanese MC club team lost to another high school team.
Haikyuu spends more time explaining the strategy and game tactics instead of featuring drama and character depth, trying to be more realistic. Something difficult to keep interest later on for the story to proceed. Also Beach Stars is another good beach volleyball manga with some amazing panels full of motion, unfortunately no anime adaptation.

As for tennis, Happy! manga by Naoki Urasawa left me satisfied, not just focusing on the game but also on the characters. Though when it comes to the seinen content it is no wonder it was not adapted to anime.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu spends more time explaining the strategy and game tactics instead of featuring drama and character depth, trying to be more realistic.
This is a good thing tho. The drama in haikyuu is used to elevate the matches while in those it feels the opposite, the matches are used to create drama and I just lose interest because it just feels like I am watching a drama series with sports as the backgroung and by that point I might as well just watch a drama series that doesnt hide it is a drama.
I dunno, when I watch a sports fiction, I want it to give the same vibe I feel when I watch real sports, and Haikyuu is perfect at doing this.
Something difficult to keep interest later on for the story to proceed.
Considering the popularity of haikyuu I think most people disagree with that.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Budoukan - 05

Now it's time for an episode about Yume..... shes the blonde one..... shes gay. (probably) For the first time it feels like the show has an ensemble cast and i think that taking a break from Eri's game of lesbian cat and mouse with Maina is a good thing even if it gets harder and harder to buy that Eris love for Maina is purely on the level of being an idol. Speaking of Idols, Maina's colleagues have their own issues to deal with when it comes to the cutthroat popularity contests of stardom. Yume doesnt want to overshadow Maki's spotlight in the front row of the group because that would mean she doesnt get to stare at her ass while dancing. Or maybe Yume just admires Maki and wants her light to shine for others as it does for her. Either way Yume has star quality and enjoys her day in the sun center stage.

Meanwhile, Eri reaches rock bottom as she begs her mother for cash to buy more Maina merchandise for the express purpose of gaining votes for a popularity poll. The shame her mother feels is almost equal to the shame I feel when I watch each episode of this show for the 3rd time. I do wish more time was spend with Eris mother to see what her feelings are about her daughter's... hobby. One could surmise that next week Eri will be selling her body to pay for Maina's merch and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Demon slayer 4
Guys I was fooled by the first episode but I think this might just be kind of a stock standard shonen

This better get better fast

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
This is a good thing tho. The drama in haikyuu is used to elevate the matches while in those it feels the opposite, the matches are used to create drama and I just lose interest because it just feels like I am watching a drama series with sports as the backgroung and by that point I might as well just watch a drama series that doesnt hide it is a drama.
I dunno, when I watch a sports fiction, I want it to give the same vibe I feel when I watch real sports, and Haikyuu is perfect at doing this.

Considering the popularity of haikyuu I think most people disagree with that.

In case of Ashita no Joe I'd disagree though. It is breathtaking both as a sports and as a drama anime. But I'll also read Hajime no Ippo to make comparisons. But yes, drama in Haikyu is kept to a minimum compared to other sports series

One other reason for the popularity is that audiences have been thirsting for a good volleyball anime. Prior to that there was only Attack no 1 and Attacker You! and they were about girls and women's volleyball mostly and there were no original fansubs. Plus the latter was heavily edited in the dub because it contained few ecchi scenes and abuse from the coach towards the girls (eg slaps to the face).

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I can 1000% agree with you there. Akagi is too fucking good.

Episode 5 of Jeweller Richard was another surprisingly good one. The bitter ending to the friendship between MC and his former upperclassman was really refreshing.

Richard is refreshingly wholesome and grounded. Now if Richard could just tell MC that he totally likes him if would be great.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've tried to get into Violet Evergarden twice now and it just isn't clicking for me..but being on Netflix makes it so easy to watch so I keep hoping it will. 😩

Just finished watching the first episode of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun and I absolutely loved it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
idk there was like a 3 year gap. i swear it wasnt this dull the entire time back then. maybe it was always bad like shokugeki no soma and just hadnt ran out of juice yet
I came to it late and was fairly liberal about skipping episodes while watching when the games were taking too long. Don't need 5 episodes for one game. My time is too valuable to slog through that. With that being said, I've enjoyed this season so far since Hinata is growing and improving as a player thanks to his observations.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to get into Violet Evergarden twice now and it just isn't clicking for me..but being on Netflix makes it so easy to watch so I keep hoping it will. 😩

Just finished watching the first episode of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun and I absolutely loved it.
Yeah, I don't really get any of the love for it outside of a single episode. But I haven't liked anything the director has done at KyoAni (Kyoukai no Kanata being the other show he lead).

Nozaki-Kun is awesome, and I wish we got more of it (is there enough source material? I haven't checked it out because it's a 4-koma).

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
The most unfortunate thing about Demon Slayer is that Muzan turned out to be a Naraku-tier villain. The final arc is boring as hell as a result. However, at least DS's author didn't try to redeem the villain, like how Rumiko blamed everything on the Sacred Jewel manipulating Naraku.

Edit: unrelated. I started this season at like 25 shows, now I've dropped all but 10 of them. I feel sad that Magia record and the two idol shows are what I'm looking forward to every week.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer is also dope lol. Granted the animation really carries but it does it's "by the numbers" story well imo.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
violet evergarden is tremendously overrated among the "pretty backgrounds = good animation" crowd, but underrated among people who know enough about directors/animators to call taichi ishidate a hack

though tbf I do think it's a project carried more by individual episode directors than the vision of the overall director, considering how the strongest episodes are basically showcases of the more recognizable kyoani directors. maybe the episodic format inherently emphasizes more individual expression like that, I dunno

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
This I would admit if tankery was an actual real sport. I know there's those videos of tank competitions between several countries in the Russian orbit with the same Russian tank but any similarity with reality is pure coincidence. Still, a great anime.

The only thing Violet Evergarden has going for it is that it looks consistently very good. There is, maybe, one episode with an interesting story and the rest oscillate between bollocks and boring.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
This I would admit if tankery was an actual real sport. I know there's those videos of tank competitions between several countries in the Russian orbit with the same Russian tank but any similarity with reality is pure coincidence. Still, a great anime.

The only thing Violet Evergarden has going for it is that it looks consistently very good. There is, maybe, one episode with an interesting story and the rest oscillate between bollocks and boring.

Sports anime is a state of mind imho. I haven't actually seen gundam build fighters but I was wondering if it was more of a sports anime than anything else

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
It's to be expected that different people will have either wider or narrower definitions of what constitutes "sports anime".
I'm the narrow definition kind so, for me, Build Fighters is more about a hobby (both gunpla building which is an actual real hobby and gunpla battle which is more or less fighting games spiced up with the fantasy of moving plastic models).
Thus, it would not qualify for me but it probably would for you.
HosannaExcelsis already commented on a previous thread how "sports anime" tends to be more about the themes that are a staple in the subgenre even when no actual sport is featured (which is the wide definition) but in that very same post it was argued that, by that definition, Ping Pong hardly fit because despite featuring a real sport, its themes were a bit different than what is expected of the subgenre.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Smile Down the Runway 1
This was touch and go for a little while. Fearing Chiyuki would be the lead I sweet myself up for a protagonist that's rude and vain. Instead we have a twist right at the end and our protagonist turns out to be the designer nerd with the bowl cut. Nice! I'm all for this.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Violet Evergarden was boring until a certain episode which made the previous episodes feel like they weren't a waste of time. I liked the series from that point, but the OVA was boring. Still interested in seeing the movies.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Melodrama melancholy so I love Violet Evergarden, the best thing in the genre since ARIA series IMO

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Emiya family 1-2
I already love this series but it's even more fun with my gf who has watched fate stay/night and this has completely different contexts for the characters

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Cold take: the only good sports anime is Ping Pong: The Animation. Before people ask, I don't consider karuta or shogi sports.
I can get behind this. I understand the appeal of it, but none of it is interesting to me.
Anime Ja Nai 4
I'm mostly kind of apathetic to every episode so far. 3 episodes so far of Judau and his junkyard mates just getting up to hijinks and shenanigans and Mashymre being like, "those rascally kids!". But then there's Kamille still a vegetable on the corner. I really want this to start moving with some plot already.
This was about the time I stopped watching the anime. It has to get better at some point. Or at least rise above the level of absolute boring, but I couldn't justify watching any more.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I mean the point of sports anime is usually to show a character or team rise to become the best at their sport. In the process they have to grow internally and in skill, enduring pitfalls along the way. I don't know how Ping Pong doesn't fit this mold, Peco is literally the archetype (even if he does have a depth of humanity that rarely do we see in these shows) . I guess Smile being driven by his hope to see Peco return is rare. I will say the show does more than most sports anime at dissecting the underlying motivations that people have to play a sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.