• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Smile Down the Runway 1
This was touch and go for a little while. Fearing Chiyuki would be the lead I sweet myself up for a protagonist that's rude and vain. Instead we have a twist right at the end and our protagonist turns out to be the designer nerd with the bowl cut. Nice! I'm all for this.
I have really enjoyed it so far. I think I saw it's in a shonen magazine so the fact it transfers to the boy as the lead is understandable, but surprising if you didn't know that (I didn't initially).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
A question: what makes a sports anime good to you?
The answer will probably leave you unsatisfied because the problem is that I don't specially like sports anime in general. Compare it with me being a mecha anime fan which means I have a very high tolerance for it and I will watch even the vilest ones (being a mecha fan is blight on me that I can do nothing about, everyone has their defects).
In contrast, because I'm not a sports anime fan, it means that I tend to enjoy only the ones that go beyond the staples of the genre. Therefore, I recognise that there is sports anime that is good but I simply happen not to enjoy. If this doesn't make it obvious, my "cold take" was me being hyperbolic, maybe needlessly so.

There is, however, stuff that makes me not enjoy sports anime that is unfortunately common: e.g. repeating detailed explanations for game rules unnecessarily often (I'm fine with being told once, thanks); displaying the same actions over and over, that the sport does include, as if it were a live broadcast (I don't need that in fiction, it adds nothing of value to me); overused bloated time-dilation that makes the last 5 seconds of a match last three episodes (this can be judiciously used in moderation but it's often not the case); characters that are too much of an archetype, which is a general anime thing but it feels exacerbated in sport anime (I'm tired of overly passionate genki guy with fiery red/orange hair and cool mannered blue/black hair guy despite knowing that red oni/blue oni has been a thing since forever; aloof white hair guy and overweight guy that is the butt of the jokes don't help either).

Trying to end in a less negative tone, I appreciate it when sports anime introduces me to a sport I didn't know anything about as long as it does it in a manner that isn't too grating (see previous comment on repetition but also not being explained it as if I were 5 years old unless the series is explicitly aimed at 5 year old children and I decided to watch anyways despite me being an old fart).

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
My Hero Academia Episode 70:

Either the Quirk Doomsday thing is going to be the most important thing out of this subarc down the line or a massive dead end in terms of foreshadowing.

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Demon School Iruma Kun Episode 19

They did not just do that for the cliffhanger, harsh.

Love Iruma kun finally having a family that loves him and doesnt use him like his biological parents did. I teared up and smiled.

lol at Kiriwo at the end.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Chihayafuru S3 e17

The NicoNico comments are amazing lol.

I feel really bad for Shinobu. Poor girl has no positive influences around her. I enjoyed the 20 seconds she and Chihaya were like normal friends until things went south. I'm really pulling for her to win and defend her title.

It's crazy how that other commentator won 13 times. Thats insane. I feel sorry for everyone in her era that missed their chance cause of her dominance.

I'm interested in Suo's motivation. Looks like he's trying to prolong the match for as long as he can so someone important to him can watch him play. He's also just really cocky and its frustrating how little he cares for insulting his opponents. Eager to learn more about this man.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 6

Felicia needs to learn to not piss off people who give her money. Makes it hard to get repeat customers. Hi Kyoko. Make sure to play nice. Iroha and Felicia just walking into the Usawa (is that the name of the specific monster or what they're called in general?) tavern without noticing everything weird makes me wonder how they perceive witches. Anyway, I do like wild card Felicia. Magical girls need to set up some sort of shared home plan. A bunch of super-powered orphans running around looking for monsters and money can't be healthy for the city.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Main problem I have with Violet Evergarden is that apparently the MC is just a regular person? I thought it was going to be about a robot with cool robot arms learning what love is but its just a soldier with PTSD.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Main problem I have with Violet Evergarden is that apparently the MC is just a regular person? I thought it was going to be about a robot with cool robot arms learning what love is but its just a soldier with PTSD.

The robot learning love thing is super overdone though. I already watched stuff like Chobits and Metropolis. I wouldn't even say she was a "PTSD" soldier, since war was all she knew when she grew up with it.

I feel like I watched a different show than everyone else...

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 6

Felicia going full Leeroy Jenkins at the sight of witches endears her to me already, her possibly betraying her [strike]employer[/strike]friend at a moment's notice not so much. We'll see what happens though.

mpc-hc_2020-02-08_14-l1ked.jpg

I'm not sure what Iroha and Felicia were even doing in the place where that --uh, Uwasa, is that what they're called?-- where that Uwasa was. Is all of Kamihama just filled with areas like this so it's just a normal day in the woods for these girls?

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
The robot learning love thing is super overdone though. I already watched stuff like Chobits and Metropolis. I wouldn't even say she was a "PTSD" soldier, since war was all she knew when she grew up with it.

I feel like I watched a different show than everyone else...
Robots are cool though and she already has robot hands

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 6
I'm not sure what Iroha and Felicia were even doing in the place where that --uh, Uwasa, is that what they're called?-- where that Uwasa was. Is all of Kamihama just filled with areas like this so it's just a normal day in the woods for these girls?

East side is poor and the magical girls there tend to react poorly to outsiders. Yachiyo's literally telling Iroha to stay out of the slums when she says not to go farther east than Chuo (which is in the center of the city).

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 70:

was that just gas or did he crap himself? the quick shot to a washing machine afterwards has me confused

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
MHA S4 17
The whole sequence with Aoyama was about as enthralling as it was in the manga, but at least here it was handled in the scope of half an episode.

Magica Record 6
Secret cults, non-witches, and a mercenary for hire are really shaking things up. Felicia in particular is very interesting considering how gun-ho she is for killing witches and her role in that other group.

Somali 5
I'm really glad they didn't beat around the bush on those other travelers, but I'm more curious in what actually caused Haitora to become like that.
Is he infected with some sort of Harpy disease that's causing his sickness or is he part harpy himself? Also surprising another human character has been introduced in what feels like still the first half of the story.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Won't have Crunchyroll for two weeks but finally watched Chihayafuru last two episode today. Now to watch MHA and Re Zero.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
MHA S4E17
Wasn't as awful as I feared. Glad we're moving into a new arc. Todoroki was cute this episode and Bakugo was surprisingly mellow.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
id invaded 7

So I've had my suspensions about who john walker is and this episode basically confirmed them.

it's the head director, the timing is to convenient and he isn't putting up a fight at all, he's clearly setting up the other guy to take the fall.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Healin' Good Precure 2

Well at least the toys have practical use in-universe. Exposition dump about the Pathogerms was mostly typical, except for their end goal. They want to create a home for themselves, and at the moment it looks like actually hurting people/Earth is a side effect, not what they want. Well if they're going to be redeemed, good to set it up early. Hinata is giving my Kirara vibes. Still not much for Chiyu yet, but her time will come. Bless Nonoka's heart for trying athletics, but she should probably stick to a less demanding club for the moment. Some good drama with Rabbirin not wanting Nodoka involved because getting an unathletic sick middle schooler involved in combat seems like a bad idea. Nodoka had a good convincing speech on why she can be a good Precure anyway. Trying to transform with Nyatoran was great too. She's showing resourcefulness. While the season as a whole hasn't completely grabbed me yet, Nodoka is a great lead who is giving me hopes that this will turn out good.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Healin Good Precure 1-2

1st episode was pretty meh, but the second won me over with the failed Henshin and Nodoka trying to stop the MOTW without powers. Hope Fontaine's transformation is good because Grace's is very lacking and too quick. Though I hope it isn't a Star —> Milky situation where the latter's was so much better than the former's that you end up feeling bad about it.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Bodacious Space Pirates 1-5

I get the feeling that this title is really misleading so far, despite being focused all on girls so far, it's leaning pretty hard into the sci-fi aspect and has had like 1 even remotely fanservicey scene so far. Interested to see where it goes from here.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Eizouken 6
They are going to have a full-fledged animation/film studio by the end of the season, which is wild. Not because they are in high school, but that said high school seems to have all the components readily available. Like, what sound club has that kind of library when you have Carb and Pigeon clubs running amok?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Eizouken 6
They are going to have a full-fledged animation/film studio by the end of the season, which is wild. Not because they are in high school, but that said high school seems to have all the components readily available. Like, what sound club has that kind of library when you have Carb and Pigeon clubs running amok?

the 'reality' level of eizouken is already batshit insane so i guess it's fine

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just about finished with Carole and Tuesday and damn if this isn't a show that I absolutely love some elements like the diversity, the politics and of course the songs but god damn if I feel like the show did not at all handle its narrative and major plot points. So many seemingly major aspects of the show just show up in an episode, hang out for another episode and then just disappear entirely with little real long term impact which takes away a lot of time from the main narrative push leaving a lot of elements undercooked. They did a stalker storyline twice and each time it amounted to little more than a wet fart in the scheme of things. This happens over and over with characters like Flora and Ezekial or worse they spend time on things like the drunk robot.

Really wanted to like this show as much as I do most Watanabe joints but damn if it doesn't squander a lot of its potential. That and it can be surprisingly ugly at times. The random totally static audience shots that are used over and over again totally hamstring a lot of the more emotional bit as it looks like a bunch of cardboard cut outs... and they do this all the time.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Bodacious Space Pirates 1-5

I get the feeling that this title is really misleading so far, despite being focused all on girls so far, it's leaning pretty hard into the sci-fi aspect and has had like 1 even remotely fanservicey scene so far. Interested to see where it goes from here.

chiaki-chan's the only good thing about this, and she doesn't get focus nearly enough

ugh, now i'm upset again remembering i bothered to watch this lol

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken 6
Torturing the sound kid but playing the same sound effect over different types of ground, and then playing stock sounds was pretty hilarious. I like how Asakusa had to rationalise the robot in some way and did it but changing all the interiors; something the audience won't notice but she'll know is there.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i enjoyed it but years later chiaki is all i remember and even then mainly for the visual design. also a very good raiding sequence in the later half which was fun.

...might be worth a rewatch

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Eizouken 6:

Yeah! Sound design !!! Fun stuff like the storyboard.... practically an homage to the Eva launch sequence.

Destructive God 6

This show is too goodm Hanadori is just a treasure!

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's Destructive God?

Edit: Reviewers 5. The Cyclops client was cute. Good for her.

lmao Crim has the same VA as Gabriel. Also his average score right now is 6.66

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
How's Destructive God?

Edit: Reviewers 5. The Cyclops client was cute. Good for her.

lmao Crim has the same VA as Gabriel. Also his average score right now is 6.66

I'm enjoying it so far. Its humor is definitely not for everyone, if you like things like Saiki K or Shinpachi from Gintama that is the kind of straight man comedy this is. Miguel is just the cutest imbecile this season. I also love the OP.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the last couple of Somali and the Forest Spirit episodes went dark as fuck. Just waiting for that gut punch at the end of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.