• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently read Interview with a Vampire and now onto Vampire Lestat.

I actually had to take a break during Interview because it was so... monotonous. When I picked it back up I quickly finished it. I don't know why i had to read it in 2 parts but I did.

Love the film though.

Anywho the next book is interesting so far, though I dont get his motivations aside from "fuck it". Lestat says Louis lied about him a lot in the book. Such as "God kills indiscriminately and so shall we" type attitude. Loved killing blue bloods especially.

Lestat though says he prefers to avoid innocent people and focuses on tracking down murderers to feast on. That's a pretty 180 between the 2 books.

And I dont get his whole reason for coming out to the public. He talks about how it would lead to a great human vs vamp war and how amazing that would be and how he himself probably wouldnt survive it. Assuming his fellow vamps didnt just kill him first for breaking the masquerade (to use a VtM term). But he does it anyways because.... fuck it, im bored?

Dude seems almost bipolar.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
This book and Queen of the Damned are great. Memnoch was the peak for me though.

You are in for a hell of a ride once you hit Queen of the Damned.

Edit: you know it's been well over a decade since I've read any of these books I might have to do a reread starting with Lestat (Interview bored me as well)

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Basically from that book forward Lestat becomes the mascot and hero for what is essentially a 15 book series. So she makes him a bit more heroic and "misunderstood".

btw keep going - Queen,Body Thief and Memnoch are quite the ride.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Oh shit I completely forgot about The Body Thief

I've soured a lot on Rice since my teenage years but those books were awesome, I am definitely going to reread

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
This book and Queen of the Damned are great. Memnoch was the peak for me though.

Edit: you know it's been well over a decade since I've read any of these books I might have to do a reread starting with Lestat (Interview bored me as well)
You are on the same page as me regarding the three books mentioned :)

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017

She returned to the series in 2014 with 3 new novels so far after a 10+ year gap and the stories are kinda looney tunes now. I don't want to spoil it, but yeah, looney tunes.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lestat the vampire is such a fun book. Never read Interview, neither Queen of the Damned, but I loved my time with Lestat. Netflix is producing a live-action series right? Wonder how fabulous is going to be.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Interview was okay, but Vampire Lestat was so much better, simply because Lestat is infinitely more interesting of a character. I enjoyed all of the books, especially Queen and Memnoch. I had seen the movie Queen of the Damned before I read the book, and I know people say it all the time, but holy hell was it completely different! Body Thief was interesting, but felt like more of a side story.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Interview was okay, but Vampire Lestat was so much better, simply because Lestat is infinitely more interesting of a character. I enjoyed all of the books, especially Queen and Memnoch. I had seen the movie Queen of the Damned before I read the book, and I know people say it all the time, but holy hell was it completely different! Body Thief was interesting, but felt like more of a side story.
The Queen of the Damned movie was a fucking tragedy, it could have been so amazing. They changed Lestats freaking sire even...like why?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I got into the series years ago. All I remember is 1)I liked them and 2)wtf menses drinking.

I didn't jump into the book that I think was about a mummy but I believe I read all the ones directly related to the vampires.

Edit: I just checked the wiki. There were a whole lot more than I thought. I only read the first 5 in order but I think I skipped memnoch and went to Armand.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The Queen of the Damned movie was a fucking tragedy, it could have been so amazing. They changed Lestats freaking sire even...like why?

I remember being so confused because I knew
Magnus had created Lestat and burned himself to death leaving Lestat with no one to guide him. Yet the movie showed Marius as his creator, and changed a million other things.

A proper Vampire Lestat and QotD film would be incredible. The relationship between Lestat and his mother alone. So good.

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember being so confused because I knew
Magnus had created Lestat and burned himself to death leaving Lestat with no one to guide him. Yet the movie showed Marius as his creator, and changed a million other things.

A proper Vampire Lestat and QotD film would be incredible. The relationship between Lestat and his mother alone. So good.

Hoefully the tv show mentioned earlier will do a better job. Though I hope it's all from Lestats PoV because we already have Louis from IwtV.

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SPOILERS

Alright, Lestat is a vamp now. I'm a bit amaz d at what perfect predators Rices vamps are. All the normal stuff but telepathy etc. Pretty much no way a vamp hunter could ever best one.

I recall when the Interview film came out people talked about how Rices vamps were fairly asexual and loved anyone due to their jacked up vamp senses. To use a VtM term they are very Toreador.

But Lestat is pretty gay. Even after he's vamped he still longs for Nicky.

I love Lestats mom and that she immediatly wanted to be a vampire. I see this causing issues later because Lestat even though dying didn't want to be, but was made anyways.

Him flaunting his powers to the public at the theater and him knowing he's being followed I'm expecting him to get attacked by other vamps soon. Rather surprised one hasn't stepped up yet.

Oh and he mentions earlier he only killed bad people, and maybe he did when he met Louis, but I like that he fed on a mother and child and loved the innocence so much he's changed his views to "God kills indiscriminately...". I'm guessing he changed back eventually...? Or it turns out he's the liar and not Louis.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I actually quite enjoyed Interview, never read the others. I didn't understand why Lestat became the focus after that. But maybe I'll give the next book a read sometime.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Memnoch is really just so good it makes up for my thoughts on quite a few of the other books. It's the only one I go back and reread now and again.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Interview, Lestat, Queen, and Memnoch are good. Theif is just kind of there and after that Rice went crazy but those four are good. Her mummy book was also really good, and I like the first couple Mayfair witches books.

But Rice went off the rails eventually, and while the brand of crazy keeps changing, it's still crazy and her books these days are trash.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
I think Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil are her best Vampire Works. Has anyone read her Jesus trilogy, after her return to Catholicism? Her complete shun of the Vampire works is interesting and I wonder how her style is seen in the Jesus trilogy.

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lestat has a weird ass relationship with his mom.

"I want to ravish her."

No dude. No.

Also, he's such a Gary Stu. Despite being old a year old Vamp he's got enough power to take down not only several other vamps but a vamp 500 years old his senior.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I was way into these books in high school, always wondered if they still held up. I liked the Witch stuff too, especially the second half of the Witching Hour and Lasher.

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, he complains about Louise whining.

Dude complains about being lonely constantly. Even when he has his mom with him who OMG pops out for a couple months.

I went to the timeline to see how many years pass between him being made to him making Louise.

11!! ELEVEN YEARS! Not 100. Not 50. 11. Get a grip my dude.

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've reconsidered my opinion of Lestat. Considering that he was basically alone and unloved even when he was human with a family. I can get while he is so obsessed with finding a companion. For being a Gary Stu he's a very broken person.