• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 11, 2017
India
Uplay username: spieltimes

My childhood memories are all filled with hour-long sessions of Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Lord of the Rings and Simcity. Somehow, out of all the genres in video games, simulation and city-building seem to fascinate me the most. While I never played any Anno game before, Anno 1800 surely changed my perspective of the series, all at once.

Prior to playing the Closed Beta, I thought the Anno seris would be just like some other so-so franchise with a few dedicated fans. So, I was skeptical about Anno 1800 and whether I should spend 22GB of my not-unlimited data on it. But the moment the loading screen appeared, I was glued to the screen.

It wasn't even the actual gameplay, but the loading screens that were so intriguing that developed a kind of eagerness to consume the game as soon as possible.

The gameplay is so diverse, bulidings and structures so well designed, environmental elements perfectly modelled and the sound effects are just ear-blowing. I've played the game for over 5 hours during the Closed Beta, and I'm so pumped up for April's Open Beta. Can't wait!

HumanSmoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
You should play Anno 2205 I liked it a lot

Going from the grassy area to Antartica to the moon was fun

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Anno 1800 is like... fuck, how do you make a game so much better than all the great games that came before? This is what happens when people who know what they're doing keep honing their craft. These guys are the kung fu masters of city building games.

And to think... Anno isn't even their best series. Settlers is. AND WE'RE GETTING ONE OF THOSE TOO!!!! IM SO HYPE

I hope it stays this good, because, like, hot damn. I need more.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Unsurprisingly I am very excited by all the great things I'm hearing from this beta. I can't wait to return to historical Anno goodness.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It's a shame games like these don't get any attention on resetera. It is what it is, I guess.

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
This beta blew my expectations out of the water. I was expecting a really complicated city builder that I couldn't wrap my head around. What I got was a highly accessible, yet deep city builder that allowed me to play and trade with my friends. Absolutely loved it.

OP
OP
Pingal Pratyush
Dec 11, 2017
India
This beta blew my expectations out of the water. I was expecting a really complicated city builder that I couldn't wrap my head around. What I got was a highly accessible, yet deep city builder that allowed me to play and trade with my friends. Absolutely loved it.
Same here. I was thinking some Civilization kinda stuff. But it was more real-time and dynamic.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
It's a shame games like these don't get any attention on resetera. It is what it is, I guess.

Not supporting consoles severely limits you audience. But I guess these kinds of games just require mouse and keyboard.
I always loved Anno games, ever since 1602, but I haven't owned a PC in almost 10 years, so I am pretty out of the loop when it comes to Anno.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Not supporting consoles severely limits you audience. But I guess these kinds of games just require mouse and keyboard.
I always loved Anno games, ever since 1602, but I haven't owned a PC in almost 10 years, so I am pretty out of the loop when it comes to Anno.

Well, it limits your audience on resetera, mostly. This is a very console centered website.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
While Anno 2070 and Anno 2205 are nice games, I welcome the return to the past. I just works better for this series in my opinion and I can finally make out what building does what again and just looks more "friendly". I'm a huge fan since the first one and I loved the beta and earlier tests, it's shaping up to be a great game. I'm so looking forward to the 4th and 5th stage of development with Electricity, Oil, Trains, etc.

Sadly it's more a German genre and series, and it tends to get clear, if you reat some US magazine previews and reviews, if they write about it at all ;)

Settlers though, I really hope they return to the basics (which it seems like), sometimes it looks like that Settlers is more internationally known then Anno. Also Settlers and Anno are different teams / studies. While they both belong to Ubisoft Blue Byte by now. Also great to see, that the original creator is back with the team for the new Settlers.

OP
OP
Pingal Pratyush
Dec 11, 2017
India
While Anno 2070 and Anno 2205 are nice games, I welcome the return to the past. I just works better for this series in my opinion and I can finally make out what building does what again and just looks more "friendly". I'm a huge fan since the first one and I loved the beta and earlier tests, it's shaping up to be a great game. I'm so looking forward to the 4th and 5th stage of development with Electricity, Oil, Trains, etc.

Sadly it's more a German genre and series, and it tends to get clear, if you reat some US magazine previews and reviews, if they write about it at all ;)

Settlers though, I really hope they return to the basics (which it seems like), sometimes it looks like that Settlers is more internationally known then Anno. Also Settlers and Anno are different teams / studies. While they both belong to Ubisoft Blue Byte by now. Also great to see, that the original creator is back with the team for the new Settlers.
Haven't played Settlers but am definitely interested in it now that many have mentioned it. So, what's so great about it?

Jan 2, 2018
I played the Closed Beta of 1800 and I have to say that this new Anno is the first that really grabbed me since 1602! I'm excited for the full-release!

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Will I enjoy it if the last game in the series I played was Anno 1602 (entitled 1602 A.D. in North America and Australia)?

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

I don't think these kinds of games have much of an audience on consoles regardless of inputs. 2K tried putting Civilization on consoles and it never really caught on. Same applies to all strategy games, really.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Thank you all so much! Seeing such nice words about our baby on the only gaming forum I use these days is awesome <3

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm not sure if I like the new mechanic of taking over islands. I'm also not entirely sure about the setting for city building, but that could just be me sticking to nostalgia of Anno 1602 and 1503. Apart from that, I'm highly interested in that new one, because I completely ignored all the Future-Anno games and I'm ready for a new one (although it'll be hard to beat 1404, which I do play these days and is the best of all).

The great F1 2018 didn't get any love and attention here, either :( No OT thread.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play it on a crappy laptop? I had a chance to play for just a few minutes on my desktop, but if I'm going to get into the real game, it will have to be on my non-gaming laptop with only a MX-150 gpu, which I didn't get a chance to try on. I also failed to find any required specs.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Anyone know when the linux version releases? I can't really find anything online about it.
This is right up my alley otherwise.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this sounds less about the current game being super great, and more you not knowing this series and just supposing it was some average thing.
The ones I tried, Anno 1404 and Anno 1602 were already very good games.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do shadows in Anno games always rotate along with camera? I've never seen this quirk in any other game. Is this engine limitation or design choice?

BF0oucJ.gif

oSrR1uT.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why do shadows in Anno games always rotate along with camera? I've never seen this quirk in any other game. Is this engine limitation or design choice?

BF0oucJ.gif

oSrR1uT.gif

This isn't a bug, it's an option. You should see "fix sun position" in the options somehwere and if you toggle it on the position of the shadows will stay the same, at least in past Anno games it did.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a bug, it's an option. You should see "fix sun position" in the options somehwere and if you toggle it on the position of the shadows will stay the same, at least in past Anno games it did.
Ah interesting. It's been a while since I played Anno game, but last one I played I don't remember that option. I'll definitely look out for this option in the new game.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yes, the sun being fixed to the camera is an option you can toggle on and off. Some players prefer to always be on the sunny side of Anno, so to speak :p

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Just bought Anno 1404 and the Settlers 4. If you also want to get your Anno fix before April, Anno 1404 Gold is just 4€ right now.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Anno 1800 is like... fuck, how do you make a game so much better than all the great games that came before? This is what happens when people who know what they're doing keep honing their craft. These guys are the kung fu masters of city building games.

And to think... Anno isn't even their best series. Settlers is. AND WE'RE GETTING ONE OF THOSE TOO!!!! IM SO HYPE

I hope it stays this good, because, like, hot damn. I need more.

Worth noting: Anno comes from Related Designs, Settlers is a Blue Byte game, different developers but both obviously coming from Ubi.

EDIT: Welp, just rechecked and I completely forgot that Blue Byte absorbed Related Designs some time ago. Disregard all that, then^^

What I saw of Settlers during Gamescom was amazing and I am really, really looking forward to it. What I played of Anno 1800 during the Beta was equally amazing (although the performance left a bit to be desired, but there's more than enough time to optimise the game until release). It's a good time for the genre.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I agree, the beta was amazing even though I couldn't spend as much time with it as I wanted.
But what is this talk about a new Settlers game (Settlers 8?) I missed any news on this, Settlers was always my go to game series, loved 2 and the remake of 2 the most.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I did not get to spend too much time withe the beta, but the overall impression was stellar. The game looks gorgeous and ran surprisingly well on my 4K setup with everything cranked to eleven.

Will most likely get it at launch.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is 1800 better than other Anno games or is this thread more about people discovering the series for the first time? If it's better than the other games, I'd love to hear some reasons why!

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I agree, the beta was amazing even though I couldn't spend as much time with it as I wanted.
But what is this talk about a new Settlers game (Settlers 8?) I missed any news on this, Settlers was always my go to game series, loved 2 and the remake of 2 the most.

New Settlers game (announced alongside the History Collection and 25th Anniversary of the series):

Some more gameplay material (though the voice over / interview is in German only, with the old/new creator of "The Settlers"):

Very early footage, if you need some translations, just tell me ;)

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played Settlers but am definitely interested in it now that many have mentioned it. So, what's so great about it?

Well, I linked the first Trailer and Gameplay above. I just like the series, as it has been around and big for me since my Amiga days, where you could actually connect two mouses to your computer and play in split-screen.

I Germany we call it the "Wuselfaktor", because of the tiny people and how cute they walk around and do their stuff ;)

It's more about building up one lovely city and some ground wars after/during that, rather than huge cities. Usually it takes time to build a house or wood cutter and you can and should watch that process. It's also about building city walls, siege other cities and stuff like that.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't care for the futuristic versions of the game, but 1602 was my jam. Can't wait for this.

stoff

Oct 27, 2017
Settlers is basically WYSIWYG gone mad. It also has Anno's Production Chain management but visualises everything a lot more. You can always see how many Goods of each type you have, just by observing the Game World. Also it is much more 50/50 in the economy/military focus, whereas Anno is basically 90% economy. Bascially, Anno is closer to city builders while Settlers is closer to RTS games.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the Anno series is usually a hit or miss for me.
Loved 1602, disliked 1503, loved 1701, somehow didn't play 1404, didn't like 2070 and 2250. Guess futuristic Anno games aren't my thing for various reasons.

But the end of the 1800 beta made me instantly buy 1404 (which turns out to be as amazing as ppl say) and 1800 will definately be day1. There were few design details in the beta that I didn't like but the overall feeling is that 1800 will be one of the biggest games this year.

Edit: as Anno 19xx seems unlikely (quick maths!) could we get something like 0702 as the next iteration instead of something starting with a 2 please?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Been very excited about Anno 1800 for a while now, definitely will look into it.

Anno is made by Blue Byte? I didn't know that. Interest level multiplied!

Depending on how you want to count, there are 2-3 Blue Byte studios!

Düsseldorf - original Blue Byte, working on Settlers (as well as co-development on RS Siege, For Honor and Avatar)

Mainz - formerly Related Designs, working on Anno (and co-development on RS Siege and Beyond Good and Evil 2)

Ubisoft Berlin - co-development on the Far Cry franchise

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
New Settlers game (announced alongside the History Collection and 25th Anniversary of the series):

Some more gameplay material (though the voice over / interview is in German only, with the old/new creator of "The Settlers"):

Very early footage, if you need some translations, just tell me ;)

Thanks, I understand German so it's no problem. :)
Looks good, looking forward to it. Didn't quite catch whether road building is in or if it's like in 3 and 4 for example. Only thing that annoys me is that they are calling it just Settlers from the looks of things, that will be a mess again later. :/

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yup, still addicting as hell, too. Wanted to try out the CB for like an hour or two and played like 6 hours until way past midnight

Hope they will fix the multiplayer/desync issues, but other than that: it's a fantastic sequel

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I loved 1404. Can't wait for 1800. Although I don't have a desktop pc atm, only a laptop which probably won't play it.