• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I've basically only heard positive things about this (which is rare for these well-established franchises, since long-term fans generally always find something to complain about ;)).

I just don't have time right now to dive into a game like that, but I'm still looking forward to the release.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching Let's Plays of the beta and I'm so excited to play it myself. Can't wait!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I really have to check out more of these games, same for Settlers it seems. I have Anno 2250 but I couldn't get into it.

I'm a fan of city builders and RTS games but for some reason never really looked into these franchises that much.

Maybe I'll just wait for 1800.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it out?!

Is it getting good reviews/word?!

I love this style of city builders but it has been awhile since one really hit the spot for me.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Seems like the series has had fairly long run, yet I've never played any of these. I'm even quite fond of the genre. What would be the best game to try the franchise out? Also is there something special with these games that sets them apart from the competititors? Is there some specific hook other games lack?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I've never played an Anno game, but what I've seen so far looks great. Will probably buy it (unless Ubisoft makes another exclusivity deal with Epic)

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Just out of curiosity but I remember (or maybe not as its been a long time) that in 1404 if you really wanted to maximize your production and earn some of the hardest acheivements you HAD to have your city built a certain way and guides/maps were even created to show where you had to place everything EXACTLY. Not only that, but you had to luckout with the RNG and hope that the map that was generated had the islands made in the shape that you needed.

Will 1800 be the same? I always like going for hard achievements but when you are at the mercy of the RNG as well as being only allowed to follow one build style it really killed it for me.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Any impression of the economic aspect? Some of these games I've played in the past gives you way too much starting resources, so that early game almost feels like creative mode.

I haven't played much of the Anno and Settlers series in a long while though, because of obnoxious DRM. Maybe tgis one iswhere I get back in.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear! I didn't get into the beta, I was looking forward to trying it out.

This would be my first Anno game, how's the onboarding for a new player?

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for this game, I still regularly play 1404 Venice with my friends.
That game has got probably one of the best designed UI's out there for a city building game.
By far one of the most complex yet intuitive UI's I have ever seen in one of these kinds of games.
I hope 1800 delivers the same feeling.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Any impression of the economic aspect? Some of these games I've played in the past gives you way too much starting resources, so that early game almost feels like creative mode.

I haven't played much of the Anno and Settlers series in a long while though, because of obnoxious DRM. Maybe tgis one iswhere I get back in.

Really depends on the difficulty you choose to play on.

On the hardest difficult there will be less starting resources and resources on islands will be more scarce.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Not supporting consoles severely limits you audience. But I guess these kinds of games just require mouse and keyboard.
I always loved Anno games, ever since 1602, but I haven't owned a PC in almost 10 years, so I am pretty out of the loop when it comes to Anno.

Huh? A pc centric strategy title's audience is severely limited by not including consoles? You do realize tht the pc market is lager than all consoles combined, right? And that atrategy games like this kind of thrive on pc and not consoles?

This is such a weird statement. It's like saying you are severely limiting your audience by releasing your art house film on Netflix instead of in theaters.

It's just going to reach a wider audience, a much wider audience on pc than it ever would on consoles. If t was a big budget on rails action adventure (or an action summer blockbuster in my analogy) then I could see this argument making sense.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this one a lot. I loved the closed beta, and will probably play again on the open beta too. Will be preordering this weekend as well. I needed something more substantial than cities skylines in my life.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Played 1602 as a young boy way too much
1503 was ok but the difficulty was out of wack
1701 was great
1404 was awesome and the peak of the series.
didn't have interest in the future entries and didn't hear anything about them that would let me decide to play them.

1800:
- Loved the feeling, overall
- only played Multiplayer with my buddy
- although, massive desync issues and graphic freezes (at the same time)
- most sessions ended with gamebreaking desync issues (every 10 seconds) after doing something specific late-game (expeditions or maybe even just too much happening in-game)
- those issues didn't feel like a big deal overall, it was a beta and we were nearly "finished" with what we could do in the beta.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Huh? A pc centric strategy title's audience is severely limited by not including consoles? You do realize tht the pc market is lager than all consoles combined, right? And that atrategy games like this kind of thrive on pc and not consoles?

Jo, someone asked why Anno isn't getting more attention on ResetEra. I replied by saying that not supporting consoles might be a reason, because I would assume that most people on Era are console players and have no interest in PC only releases.

I think that has nothing to do with the size of the PC market and I don't know why you bring that up.

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the game because it will make me spend hours and hours optimizing the placement of crops and production buildings >:(

Jokes aside, great game, loved the closed beta and I cannot wait to play it when it releases :D

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Anno 1602 is one of my favorite games, the others didn't really click with me but this one looks amazing.

My body is ready.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Jo, someone asked why Anno isn't getting more attention on ResetEra. I replied by saying that not supporting consoles might be a reason, because I would assume that most people on Era are console players and have no interest in PC only releases.

I think that has nothing to do with the size of the PC market and I don't know why you bring that up.

I missed the part where your context was why it wasn't getting as much attention her eon Reset Era. Otherwise I would have agreed with you.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
didn't manage to play the beta, haven't touched the franchise in years (I don't even remember which one I played xd one of the older ones), but I saw some streams on twitch and man it looks so fun. been craving this sort of gameplay, and I'm really looking forward to the release now. cool to hear that a new Settlers game is coming too!

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
I'm sorry this seems like a really good game and all but Ano = Anus in Spanish, I can't read you guys with a straight face, you seem to really love to say Anno a lot in here. Is this funny to anyone else?

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I first got to know ANNO through NSN as he has a great Anno 2070 series.Then i saw Anno 1404 and i was blown away, i bought the gold edition. They're awesome games and really well executed, i do prefer Anno 1404, that type of setting is more appealing to me. This one is a must get, from what i'm reading everywhere.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Do these games have a history of supporting mods?
I'm a huge fan of the time period although I'd like to make my city from the Ottoman Empire in the 1800s by replacing flags with Ottoman flags.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Computerbase has some benchmarks.
Finally some use for DX12, looks like it's the way to go.

Not liking that Computerbase dropped 1080Ti so quickly from their benchmarks, I think it's very important GPU to benchmark especially now.

4fGVY2C.png

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
It also seems like the game is clearly CPU limited in their benchmarks below 4k on the 2080ti. (And probably the 1080ti too, though not to the same extent)

annoyuk23.png

(I sometimes wish they would use an OC'd CPU in GPU benchmarks to give me a better idea of what to expect, but I can understand why they don't)

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you still not able to draw curvey streets and hence locked in a grid system?

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017

Anno is Latin for year which is properly why it was picked.

Annus (stop snickering y'all) means year. "Anno XY" basically translates to "In the year of XY".

It's also a colloquialism in German for referring to a specific past year. Probably why it was picked for the series. Sounds absolutely natural to my ears.

It's a great title tbh.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Is it any better than 1404?

I know people usually just play the latest thing, but for this kind of games the race for the new shiny game isn't that much important. I'd like to know what is being changed.

Anyway, if someone is looking back to 1404, the game has a pretty huge unofficial patch that fixes lots and lots of stuff:
https://www.moddb.com/downloads/anno-1404-venice-unofficial-patch-v110

(not sure if there's an even newer version somewhere)

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact:
When you add up the numbers in an Anno title, it always equals to 9. 1800, 2205, 2070, 1404 etc.
Which is why we'll probably never an Anno title in the 20th century.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
...those benchmarks are insane.

A gtx 1080 gets 60fps at 1440p, and 65fps at 1080p. And that's at "very high" instead of ultra.

Jan 2, 2018
My specs:

Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

In the Closed Beta the game run at roughly 60FPS on "Very High" at 1080p, if I remember correctly. But the FPS might suffer a bit if the island is more populated.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
My specs:

Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

In the Closed Beta the game run at roughly 60FPS on "Very High" at 1080p, if I remember correctly. But the FPS might suffer a bit if the island is more populated.

This has been my experience too, with 12GB of RAM and a 1070. The game runs well, but large islands can give some performance issues. Nothing terrible tho. And the gameplay doesn't really get impacted by it.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of playing Anno 2205 again as never did play all the dlc areas.

Do it if you feel like it. As someone who pre-bought the game and played on launch I was a little weary to play again these last months.
Boy I'm glad I've picked that up again, having a blast now. They did a great job with the game since launch.

Last edited:

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I'm not sure my poor laptop could handle this game. It might, but it's a 60 dollar risk haha.

We just announced that there will be an Open Beta from April 12th-4th, by which the time the game will be better optimized than it was during the CB. So you should definitely try that to see how well it works for you.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Really cool to hear that you folks like our game so much. :)

It's really cool that Ubisoft still releases pc focused strategy games.Thanks for this!

Bought! Thanks for the tip m8!

We just announced that there will be an Open Beta from April 12th-4th, by which the time the game will be better optimized than it was during the CB. So you should definitely try that to see how well it works for you.

Looking forward to it!

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Seems like they managed to nail the differing elevation between buildings alongside the same road. They always looked so damn weird in Cities skylines so I just ended up building on completely flat land which is a bit boring.

I do hope Anno 1800 will have better scenarios than 1404.