• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am super tempted to make this my first PC game purchase since I bought a PS3 at launch.
It would mean I have lug my work laptop home to play it though, as Anno is not available on OSx (buuuh!).

Spent many an hour playing Anno 1602 on endless mode...

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
So I really want to try an Anno game, and most of them are cheap, so which ones should I get? 1404 for the older style and 2205 for the future style?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Okay, you guys convinced me.
giphy.gif

I love 1404 and it is by far my favorite and I didn't even touch the next games after that. But 1800 might change that!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think these kinds of games have much of an audience on consoles regardless of inputs. 2K tried putting Civilization on consoles and it never really caught on. Same applies to all strategy games, really.
I know it's an old comment, but I thought civ6 did pretty well on the switch enough for them to continue updating it.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the premise is these games, anyone care to explain please? Huge fan of AoE and the old warcraft games if that means something.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What is the premise is these games, anyone care to explain please? Huge fan of AoE and the old warcraft games if that means something.

AoE and Warcraft are more real time strategy games, while Anno games are citybuilders with a slight touch of strategy. In Anno games you start off at an island and grow your population. And as your population grows the needs for different products will grow. At first you'll do fine with just wood and fish. After that people will want clothes, after that they'll want ale or bread or something else.

At some point you'll have to go to different islands, some even in the new world, to provide the goods your people want. But resources are scarce so you'll have to compete with other players or AI's to obtain these goods.

(And there is also a campaign.. :P )

Deleted member 17289

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AoE and Warcraft are more real time strategy games, while Anno games are citybuilders with a slight touch of strategy. In Anno games you start off at an island and grow your population. And as your population grows the needs for different products will grow. At first you'll do fine with just wood and fish. After that people will want clothes, after that they'll want ale or bread or something else.

At some point you'll have to go to different islands, some even in the new world, to provide the goods your people want. But resources are scarce so you'll have to compete with other players or AI's to obtain these goods.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! And a campaign sounds awesome! Very interested in this game.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I knew it was nothing like AoE and Warcraft

but what about compared to Impressions city builders (Zeus, Pharaoh, etc) or SimCity 2013?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought 1404 and two major annoyances stuck out to me, so for anyone who has played the 1800 beta, can you please answer these two questions:

Is there a UI scale? Without it this is a no buy, I play on a TV.

Can you change the RMB to spin and tilt the camera instead of it being used to navigate around, which I can already do with WASD or edge scrolling?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The last Anno I played was 2070. This is looking great from all the impressions and I like the time period, so it's a buy for me.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was nothing like AoE and Warcraft

but what about compared to Impressions city builders (Zeus, Pharaoh, etc) or SimCity 2013?

As a massive fan of the Impressions city builders, it does share some similarities. Production chains, trading between other nations, housing evolution.

There's no real walkers though so building is a bit more free form, and since everything is contained on one map you can create your own import islands for goods instead of buying them.

There's also combat which is fairly janky, but less janky than Pharaoh etc.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Com_Raven do you know what the situation will be for those who bought the normal (not Deluxe) version through Steam? What will they miss?

Thanks!

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought 1404 and two major annoyances stuck out to me, so for anyone who has played the 1800 beta, can you please answer these two questions:

Is there a UI scale? Without it this is a no buy, I play on a TV.

Can you change the RMB to spin and tilt the camera instead of it being used to navigate around, which I can already do with WASD or edge scrolling?

Me too, anyone able to confirm if there is UI scaling for TVs?
I don't remember, but there will be an open beta in less than two weeks if you want to see how it runs/looks before buying.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Anno is very different from Cities Skylines, there are AI opponents, naval combat, exploration, campaigns, resources management, ...
The city building part is secondary in Anno, where it's the core of the game in Cities Skylines.
The combat part of Anno is mostly secondary. The main core of the Anno series is focusing on the resource management and creating a good production chain.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat part of Anno is mostly secondary. The main core of the Anno series is focusing on the resource management and creating a good production chain.
Yes, which is non-existant in Cities Skylines, there's no resource management nor production chain at all, unless you have the Industries DLC that add a bit of production chain, but it's not as important as in Anno.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Com_Raven do you know what the situation will be for those who bought the normal (not Deluxe) version through Steam? What will they miss?

Thanks!

We will ensure that all players will receive all future content and updates at the same time, regardless of store.

No details to share yet, but we obviously want standard edition owners to be able to also receive the Anarchist in the future.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I should have said Tropico, but though Cities was more well known.
Yes maybe Tropico is closer to Anno (never played Tropico) than Cities Skylines, that a city builder only.
I'd say Aven Colony is close to Anno too, maybe Frostpunk too as you have to manage resources and population types needed for different jobs (if you exclude heat/freeze).

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
I'll probably pick this up on Uplay like I did with Division 2. I really enjoyed the demo, looking forward to the release.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So does this open beta go through saturday or sunday?

Excited to finally try this game out.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Went ahead and pre-ordered so I could get the Steam version. Love 1440 and this looks to be back in that vein