• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Hearing so many good things about this, though this is really not my usual genre at all. Haven't really played anything similar since Sim City 2000.

How is the micromanaging for newcomers like me? Are you overloaded with info and stuff happening all the time? Really thinking about trying out the open beta for sure.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does the boxed version in Germany contain a code for UPlay? I don't have an optical drive in my computer and want to take advantage of a local buy 5 pay 3 games deal.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for asking, but is the game similar to the indie game Banished at all?
I'm looking for a new sim/city builder/ resource manager and its between this, Foundation, or maybe just getting Cities Expansions.
Tbh I haven't really done my research on the game too much. I think I have 2070 and it just didnt grab me back then.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Hearing so many good things about this, though this is really not my usual genre at all. Haven't really played anything similar since Sim City 2000.

How is the micromanaging for newcomers like me? Are you overloaded with info and stuff happening all the time? Really thinking about trying out the open beta for sure.

You should definitely try the OB. Make sure to select "more Guidance" when setting up your game, for additional hints and tutorials!

Does the boxed version in Germany contain a code for UPlay?

Ja ;)

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: when you add up all numbers within an Anno date, it always adds up to 9 (1800, 2205, etc).

Which may mean we'll never get a twentieth century anno...

Anyway, looking forward to 1800, thanks OP!

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Less than an hour before I see whether they put in a UI scale this time. It's the only thing stopping me from preordering.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm not particularly into that age (still better than XX century though), but I LOVED 1404, huge fan of that game, it's the closest thing to a Caesar/Pharaoh and for certain aspects it's even better. (campaign is really good)

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm looking for a new sim/city builder/ resource manager and its between this, Foundation, or maybe just getting Cities Expansions.
Tbh I haven't really done my research on the game too much. I think I have 2070 and it just didnt grab me back then.

It should be much bigger than Banished.

Though it has more strategy elements, it's not just a city builder, so you won't have that calm relaxed experience.

Play 1404 once it gets on sale (more than often, you can get it for the Gold edition for very cheap) if you want a good introduction to this series.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Played for the last hour, I think I'm going to like this.

Out of curiousity I downloaded the game from the epic games store to see how things worked and as I expected it's pretty much worthless owning the game on egs. You link your uplay account and it seems uplay handles everything anyway. I deleted the egs install, played the game on uplay and my save transferred over so everything must be uplay on the back end.

You need uplay anyway to play this from steam and it doesn't seem like anno 1800 will have any steam features like steam achievements, so there isn't much point to owning this on steam either. You can always add anno 1800 as a non steam game and run it from steam and it's basically the same as buying it directly from steam in the first place, the game and uplay run in the background and you can still bring up the steam overaly. Think I'll buy a uplay key from green man gaming since the game is on sale there. The only reason I may still pre order this on steam is that then I can track my time played because I like watching that kind of stuff. This probably doesn't matter to almost anyone else hah.

Oct 25, 2017
Played for the last hour, I think I'm going to like this.

Out of curiousity I downloaded the game from the epic games store to see how things worked and as I expected it's pretty much worthless owning the game on egs. You link your uplay account and it seems uplay handles everything anyway. I deleted the egs install, played the game on uplay and my save transferred over so everything must be uplay on the back end.

You need uplay anyway to play this from steam and it doesn't seem like anno 1800 will have any steam features like steam achievements, so there isn't much point to owning this on steam either. You can always add anno 1800 as a non steam game and run it from steam and it's basically the same as buying it directly from steam in the first place, the game and uplay run in the background and you can still bring up the steam overaly. Think I'll buy a uplay key from green man gaming since the game is on sale there. The only reason I may still pre order this on steam is that then I can track my time played because I like watching that kind of stuff. This probably doesn't matter to almost anyone else hah.
There are still some reasons to get it on Steam including better Steam Link and Steam Controller support than with non-native games. Minor thing but as you can just boot the games via uPlay regardless you don't really lose out on anything. EGS is useless, on the other hand.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Played it last night for about an hour or two and I think I finished the beta. Had to get a guy with dynamite and then it brought me back to the menu. Kind of odd, seeing as the main menu says it goes to sandbox mode one you finish the beta campaign but oh well.

I did enjoy it however, and even i didnt see a UI scale, it was plenty big enough at 1080p to read it easily.

I do really wish they would allow right click free camera controls like games like this used to have in the day. I want to use the mouse exclusively, but it doesnt let me change rmb to anything else.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So how do I dl the beta? I just see a "news article" about it on my uplay feed but nothing else. God damn it who ever designed this pos should be ashamed.

So why is this so hard and unintuitive? Why csnt there just a simple dl button for the beta?

Edit. I had to log in through my browser, then I had to login again for the store for some reason and now when I click the open beta ("launch uplay") nothing happens. Holy hell I do not think EGS is the worst launcher I have ever seen.

Edit. Im a dumbass.

Last edited:

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So how do I dl the beta? I just see a "news article" about it on my uplay feed but nothing else. God damn it who ever designed this pos should be ashamed.

So why is this so hard and unintuitive? Why csnt there just a simple dl button for the beta?

There is a button Play Now that's starting the download. Beneath the text.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

There's a huge tab at the top of Uplay dedicated for the beta. Go there and press play now. It's really simple.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
In Uplay. Right in the Anno 1800 tab.
So I have my Uplay open and I cannot see a dedicated "Anno tab?" Just import friends, learn how to secure your account and latests news. If I click the first anno open beta news I see, it just gives a link to redeem some random rewards.

Edit. So for some reason I only have "news" and "games" tab.... any ideas....?

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017

If you want a Banished style game the Settlers series by the same dev is what you're looking for.
The whole series was available for pretty cheap on uPlay when I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

Settlers 7 is pretty old at this point but a new one is supposed to be coming later this year.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So I have my Uplay open and I cannot see a dedicated "Anno tab?" Just import friends, learn how to secure your account and latests news. If I click the first anno open beta news I see, it just gives a link to redeem some random rewards.

Exit Uplay and launch it again from wherever it's installed. The store is disabled when it's running in "Steam mode".

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed the betas SO MUCH. I really did worry for the franchise after 2205, but wow, they really pulled it back. The re-addition of the sandbox -co-op/mp mode really has helped immensely, but it's so much more than that, and as usual, graphically it's superb.

Small downer, I know these games are a bit of a niche title but ÂŁ50 at launch is a little steep for my pockets, but it's 100% getting bought once it comes down a little. Top game, great devs. Can't wait to play this or the new Settlers.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I
I open my Uplay and I cannot see a tab for it?

It's there for me.
xefQkDG.png

It does? Where can I find this info? Do the other plattforms (Origin etc.) also do this?

Yes, you find it when you click on the game thumbnail. Origin also does this.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
How likely is it that this will make it to consoles? Have the developers ever mentioned that possibility?

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anno 1800 is like... fuck, how do you make a game so much better than all the great games that came before? This is what happens when people who know what they're doing keep honing their craft. These guys are the kung fu masters of city building games.

And to think... Anno isn't even their best series. Settlers is. AND WE'RE GETTING ONE OF THOSE TOO!!!! IM SO HYPE

I hope it stays this good, because, like, hot damn. I need more.

Wait a minute we are getting a new settlers!!!!!!???!!!?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Wait a minute we are getting a new settlers!!!!!!???!!!?

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-au/game/the-settlers/

Is there a reason Dawn of Discovery is not called 1404? Or are they distinct games? Unfamiliar with the series and unsure what your / means.

Anno 1404 was rebranded as Dawn of Discovery for release in the US. They're technically separate games, even on Steam, but they're very much one and the same.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Pre-ordered and ready to go, althought I hope that there will be some work done on optimization. It definetely shouldn't drop to ~40FPS on Ryzen 2600X, 16 GB RAM, fast SSD and GTX 1070 - even in the big city.

Icedragon08

Oct 30, 2017
Remember to play the endless mode after the campaign ends. Last far longer in terms of progression. Played for 6 hours last night and could still build new stuff. You even get more than one map.
Can't wait for release.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Open Beta is good and relaxing but I have to admit that I had more fun with Frostpunk. That said I haven't seen enough of 1800 to really form an opinion yet.
I consider buying it, on Uplay where it costs me 48€.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked and yeah stats show up for the beta. But all other games have stats like playtime and completion percentage and stuff.

I may be completely blind, I just don't see it? I have checked games like AC Black Flags and the older Anno games and I just don't see playtime there. I can't find the playtime in Origin either.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Epic deal mean that after the release day, 3rd party sites like Green Man will no longer sell Anno or will I still be able to purchase from Green Man gmaing and other 3rd party sites after release?

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So what do you guys think of the performance? Im running at 1440p, mostly max settings with shadows high on gtx 1080, i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz and 16gb ram 1and it seems to perform way worse than I expected.

In the "big city" the framerate can dip all the way to 40 fps. This might scare me away from the for now..

Edit. Looking around the framerate can actually dip like all the way to 30 fps.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Com_Raven btw not that clever to send out the boxed version via UPS when the delivery address is a packstation :D A friend of mine has this problem now lol.

Oh and why postpone the delivery via UPS when the game cannot be played until April 16th anyway?