• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Can anyone tell me how the multiplayer works?

My friend and I are looking for a co-op-y game and we really enjoyed our time with games like Civilization, where we work together in a broad sense but still do our own thing. Would this kind of scratch the same itch?

Right now, you can play MP where each of you builds up their own empire. In the future, we will be adding co-op mode as a free update, where you can take shared control of one empire.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how it will work in 1800, but in previous Anno games you could play against each other, or co op against AI's. You both have your own island and do your own thing.

Do feel the absence of ground combat could limit the multiplayer aspect of it a little bit. But it was never a strong point (the contrary) of the games.
Right now, you can play MP where each of you builds up their own empire. In the future, we will be adding co-op mode as a free update, where you can take shared control of one empire.

Thanks, it definitely sounds great. My friend drives me a bit crazy with his over-planning so just being able to do our own thing but work together in a broad sense sounds perfect.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
As a german, I fully trust Gamestar. Their score and review is really good and the only one I care about here. Anno has been one of my favorite PC series, so it's nice seeing a game that can rival past ones. Will get this game, not sure if I'll get it today/tomorrow though or later this month

I enjoy their written reviews and trust them but I find the scoring system so overwrought and unintentionally comical. They take the number so seriously and announce when they decide to change a game's score changes by a few points. In my opinion they end up over- and under-scoring very many non-AAA titles.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
So i just recently built a PC and played the beta this weekend and fell in love with this game. I also hear PC gamers saying games are cheaper on PC, so is there some place that has this game on sale? I'm not seeing it for really less than retail. I've always been interested in games like these, but I've been a console gamer exclusively for over a decade and the only game I've played like this was Civilization revolution in 360.

Also someone recommended Frostpunk (which I have found cheap) is it like Anno 1800? I know it actually has an ending which i actually like since I don't get much time to game now days....

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So i just recently built a PC and played the beta this weekend and fell in love with this game. I also hear PC gamers saying games at cheaper on PC, so is there some place that has this game on sale? I'm not seeing it for really less than retail. I've always been interested in games like these, but I've been a console gamer exclusively for over a decade and the only game I've played like this was Civilization revolution in 360.

Also someone recommended Frostpunk (which I have found cheap) is it like Anno 1800? I know it actually has an ending which i actually like since I don't get much time to game now days....

Frostpunk is a bit like Anno, yeah. Anno is more a building sim than Frostpunk is tho. Frostpunk is more about the moral decisions you make, Anno is more about the way you build your 'empire'

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, how does it compare to the GOAT, Anno 1404?
About two weeks ago, I installed 1404 again and must have at least spent 20 hours in a very short time.
A great game - The only thing I was missing were some quality of life features / better stats on yout trade routes etc.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Would people say this is more or less accessible than Civilization 6 to someone that hasn't played this kind of strategy game for a looong time? I already have Frostpunk in my steam library as well

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
So i just recently built a PC and played the beta this weekend and fell in love with this game. I also hear PC gamers saying games are cheaper on PC, so is there some place that has this game on sale? I'm not seeing it for really less than retail. I've always been interested in games like these, but I've been a console gamer exclusively for over a decade and the only game I've played like this was Civilization revolution in 360.

You can get a Uplay key for ~43€ on voidu.com with the coupon code "gamingtime".

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I had no idea i even wanted to play a game like this again...

Where have they been!

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
How good are the expansions, seeing if I should go for the Deluxe or not. First Anno game but I loved the beta, I was playing until 4am one morning. It's been forever since I had a session like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about a crack, the game hits my Ryzen 7 at like 20% on one core.
I played the open beta and was dissatisfied with the performance. My GPU (1070) is significantly stronger than my old CPU so removing DRM is often a benefit on my setup.

Hmmm, how does it compare to the GOAT, Anno 1404?
About two weeks ago, I installed 1404 again and must have at least spent 20 hours in a very short time.
A great game - The only thing I was missing were some quality of life features / better stats on yout trade routes etc.
Going back to 1404 after the open beta I can safely say that 1800 is a much better game in every aspect unless the late game is borked.

Can't freaking wait to play this. Anno 1404 was my go-to game to relax.
1800 stresses the shit out of me, though I'm sure custom settings can fix that for you :P

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I caved in and bought it cuz I'm a sucker.

Didn't get a chance to try DX12 in the beta. Either way the game seems engrossing enough. I'll tolerate a few drops on my PC.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Any chance of a console version? Right now, I'm playing a lot of strategy games on console. Kingdom Two Crowns and Civilization on Switch and Surviving Mars on PlayStation 4. Com_Raven... Please. :)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This may be one of those examples where the general audience review is like 8.5/10 while the genre enthusiast score is 10/10

Can't wait till I get a chance to play this.

Word of mouth is that this is the new city builder champ.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Add 1 point out of 10 to the aggregated score for accuracy, this is not the kind of game that gets higher scores than deserved due to hype :)

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Seems low for what seems like one of the best Anno games ever made. But I am talking out of my German bubble.

Thats because most of the press today has absolutely no clue about the strategy genre as a whole. This is a console world we live in now, coupled with the decline of strategy games over the last decade and a half. And we get this. Just quickly looked through a couple of reviews. Check how they start:

TechRaptor - "If – like me – you're new to the series, Anno 1800 serves as a pretty good introduction. "

PC Invasion - "Given my familiarity with strategy games, including city-building and management sims. Anno 1800 should be right up my alley. "

A site called pc invasion has no idea about this franchise and they just found out it exists with this game. They couldnt be arsed to even play a few of the previous games. Hilarious.

You need to know the strategy genre, its quirks, its beggining and its evolution, its issues and so on. Guys writing today are console players that give games like RDR2 11/10 and gush over how cinematic it is that are ripped away from that and forcefully handed a laptop in order to play this PC nonsense. Im sure a lot of them asked their editor if it has controller support.

In contrast, you can look at older reviews, back when PC gaming was mostly about PC games tailored for the platform, not multiplatform games made for controllers. So you had writers that could specialize solely on pc games and not play anything else. Check out an IGN review from 2002 for a pretty obscure RTS, Celtic Kings.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/08/27/celtic-kings-rage-of-war?page=1

You can feel the writers passion in the text. You can tell he knows the genre, he plays the genre, he understands the genre. Theres no such thing today. With strategy games in particular we can all ignore press reviews for the most part

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
PCWorld 7/10
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3387965/anno-1800-review.html

Bigger picture, I'd like to see a more daring setting next time as well. Anno 1800 returns the series to its roots after two games away, which is fine, but it does feel like playing it safe after the creatively daring 2070 and 2205. It'd be great to see another departure soon—say, an Anno starring the Phoenicians or another ancient trade empire.

But Anno 1800 will do for now. It's nothing we haven't seen before, and it's a bit rough around the edges, but Anno's still the most fun you can have with a glorified spreadsheet. Just be sure to build lots of bakeries.

Cerealkillerz (German) 8.7/10
https://cerealkillerz.org/anno-1800-review-klassischer-staedtebau-glaenzt-mit-neuen-optionen/

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Played the beta.
Gorgeous game, great in solo and amazing in coop/multi.
In terms of gameplay I only disliked trading mechanics with NPCs and maybe lack of some statistics, but i think this is how it is in those games, so cannot complain really about it. Trading is completely solved when you play with another player, which makes the game totally amazing.
What a pity that its so expensive, but i'll definitely buy it when i'll find it cheaper.

Last edited:

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
This looks very tempting. How is the performance? Graphics seem nicely detailed, but I am sure that comes at a cost especially in the late game.

My laptop can handle Civ5/6 with an i7 6700, 960M (4GB) and 16GB RAM. Should I even bother?

Icedragon08

Oct 30, 2017
Tried the beta but couldn't get more than 45 fps in 1440p on medium settings. That's pretty bad for a Ryzen 2700 paired with a 1070.
I have a 980ti + 6700k and I got 60+ fps (at least at the beginning of a game) on high. How much RAM do you haveP I had Anno + Chrome open and my PC used more than 13GB out of 16GB.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we take a moment to appreciate how conceptually similar Anno 1800 (and the series in general) is to the old Settlers games? They feel more like sequels to Settlers 2/3/4 than the latest Settlers games do, lmao.

Edit: Ooh, midnight release eh? There goes tonight's sleep...

Last edited:

Calaius

Oct 29, 2017
Tried the beta but couldn't get more than 45 fps in 1440p on medium settings. That's pretty bad for a Ryzen 2700 paired with a 1070.

Yeah i really hope the day one build is better than the beta performance wise. On an i7 9700K / RTX 2080 Strix in 1440p max settings, the game goes from 90fps on an inhabited island and 144 above the sea, to 28/30fps when overlooking an end game city, borderline unplayable.

I have to admit that despite my hype, this and any always-on bullshit might make or break the game for me.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i really hope the day one build is better than the beta performance wise. On an i7 9700K / RTX 2080 Strix in 1440p max settings, the game goes from 90fps on an inhabited island and 144 above the sea, to 28/30fps when overlooking an end game city, borderline unplayable.

I have to admit that despite my hype, this and any always-on bullshit might make or break the game for me.

Ouch! No hope for my 960M to handle 1080p at medium then.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't really notice this in limited time I got to try the beta, but is this a bug? From PCGamer:

That said, I do want to highlight one curious idiosyncrasy. Given the game's core theme of a shift from an agrarian to an urbanised society, it's surprising that employment is not more of a consideration. In fact, Anno 1800's attitude to employment is the polar opposite of the period it is based on. Each household earns a set income regardless of whether the people who live there are have a job in the city or not. This effectively encourages you to have a large surplus of unemployed citizens, as each new house you build brings in that much more coin. As long as you can meet their needs, it's perfectly fine to have hundreds of people sitting around doing nothing.