• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

3_crop-1024x576.jpg

Discover the danger aboard the quarian ark in Mass Effect: Annihilation, an upcoming novel from Hugo Award-winning author Catherynne M. Valente.

This official tie-in novel chronicles the journey of the Keelah Si'yah as it carries 20,000 drell, elcor, batarian, and quarian colonists to Andromeda.

A pathogen is discovered aboard the ark after many drell are found dead in their cryo pods. As the pathogenjumps species, the ship's systems begin to fail, making it clear this is no accident.

Annihilation arrives in US, Canadian, and UK stores on June 26, 2018 (August 28, 2018 in Australia).

Guess we know what happened to the DLC ideas?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh you should've specified novel in the title and you know it you cheeky devil!

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Not even putting the ideas on a shelf for a later game, just get it out there and be done with it.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Mass Effect books range from okay to absolutely dreadful. Doubt this gonna be any better, but at this point this is all Mass Effect we are gonna get.

Deception spawned a hilarious comic back on GAF.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Mass Effect books range from okay to absolutely dreadful. Doubt this gonna be any better, but at this point this is all Mass Effect we are gonna get.

Deception spawned a hilarious comic back on GAF.
God, remember rage faces? That used to be a thing.

So the franchise is not dead? Or was this planned already?

I wanna say this is the third book that was planned? With a NK Jemisin book releasing something this year still?

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I may read it since Valente is an amazing writer. Surprised she's working on a video game novel.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
These were planned way before the game released, I believe.

I read the first book. It was alright.

I see. I thought they just decided to offload their remaining ideas/story beats into books and wrap it up.

Although I imagine if Mass Effect ever makes a comeback it's going to be another reboot with a completely new "vision" anyway.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I may read it since Valente is an amazing writer. Surprised she's working on a video game novel.

Yeah, Valente would be the type of writer that I wouldn't expect to be doing media tie-ins (then again Jeff VanDeMeer did a Predator novel so whatever pays the bills). Not sure she seems like a great fit for Mass Effect though.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehmm, OK. I really home Bioware are thinking hard about how to go forward with the franchise.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
After Deception, I'm not sure I can ever take Mass Effect novels/comics seriously again. That shit was straight up dreadful.

Noted author though, maybe that might sway me.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Here's hoping Bioware isn't done with the franchise. I enjoyed all of them, even Andromeda.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Glad we're getting at least a bit of closure. Expecting Annihilation to wrap up the Andromeda storyline completely, at this point.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least it's not by William C. Dietz this time.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hmm, interesting. The official (re?)announcement does kinda open the wounds of no DLC, which sting a bit since I felt it had potential and DLC might even have helped recover the reputation hit from the memes. However, over on reddit the author claimed this novel has been in the works for 18 months, so it leads one to wonder which parts of the plot would have been referenced in the game by tie-in DLC if it existed.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Interesting turn of events for what I assumed was now a dead franchise, especially given the writer's body of work. We'll see what this means for the future I guess.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Not even putting the ideas on a shelf for a later game, just get it out there and be done with it.

Mass Effect is dead man. And after what they did to Visceral, Anthem is pretty much going to be the last hope for BioWare and I bet EA is forcing them to loot and microtransaction the hell out of it. Make it essentially TitanFall meets Destiny and Division.

Oh well, at least canon wise maybe we can learn more about the Quarian Ark and what seems to be Benefactor based on that description? That Manveer Heir podcast. I could see where he was coming from and now I understand what story he was trying to tell in Andromeda. The Angara, Kett and colonization blah blah. But I was far more interested in our Milky Way Galaxy aliens, the Nexus issues and political ramifications, and trying to help them rather than get embroiled in Angaran politics listening to them preach about how the Kett invaded etc.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the first several books, but was absolutely mortified with what happened after Ascension. I stopped reading after that. Anyone recommend revisiting the novels after that? Worth the time? I have zero faith in their quality at this point.

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the quality of the novel.
tRMca.jpg

The part that probably doesn't come through with this is that IIRC, Gillian was a central character in the prior two ME novels written by Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer for ME1 and 2.

She was some powerful biotic created by Cerberus experiments, her adoptive father was a Cerberus operative and the main protagonist who defected and was killed by Kai Leng in the second book, Gillian swears revenge... and then in a terribly written third novel, Kai Leng is portrayed as the biggest dweeb in the world, all the lore details are fucked, and Gillian is stabbed to death by Kai Leng with a toothbrush having accomplished nothing, rendering the entire trilogy essentially pointless.

It was a book so bad that BioWare actually promised to look over it and possibly fix it, but then another controversy (a very minor one, you've probably never heard of it) erupted and it kind of got forgotten.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
She was some powerful biotic created by Cerberus experiments, (...) stabbed to death by Kai Leng with a toothbrush having accomplished nothing, rendering the entire trilogy essentially pointless.

Maybe toothbrushes are some sort of kryptonite for biotics. You need to let your teeth rot in exchange for amazing powers.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'd quite like to get this in ebook for., but I suspect by June next year I'll have forgotten all about it.