• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&ERA

Official Questions and Answers
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
A couple weeks ago we offered a glimpse of our plans for a game industry Q&A program here on ResetEra. Today we are pleased to officially announce Q&ERA!

bannersmall4zlly.png

Q&ERA offers an opportunity for our community to learn more about the gaming industry from those that are part of it. This involves batches of questions, submitted by users and then selected by staff, which will then be given to industry members to answer. Our intent is to bridge the divide between the gaming community and the gaming industry. We want to encourage engagement between those who talk about games and those who make them. (Note: Questions will be curated as interviewees won't have time to answer every single one. Also, there may be certain topics that interviewees are not able or allowed to comment on.)

Introducing our first guests: LizardCube & DotEmu, the makers of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap!

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
is a platformer/adventure game developed by Lizardcube and published by DotEMU. It was released earlier this year on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It's a remake of the 1989 game Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, which was originally developed by Westone Bit Entertainment and published by Sega.

The game features the following:
  • Hand-drawn animated graphics.
  • Switch from modern graphics and sound to 8-bit graphics/audio at any time - even during gameplay.
  • A large interconnected world.
  • 6 playable forms with different abilities.
  • A soundtrack, based on Shinichi Sakamoto's originals, re-imagined and recorded with classical instruments.
  • Play as the game's classic character, Hu-Man, or as his brand-new, long-awaited co-star Hu-Girl.
Lizardcube was founded in late 2015 by Omar Cornut (Coding, Creative Director) and Ben Fiquet (Art Direction, Animation). They previously worked together on underdog hit DS title "Soul Bubbles", a physic based game about blowing bubbles and transporting spirits. Other team members involved with the development of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap include Michael Geyre (music), Romain Gauthier (sound design) and Sebastien Ronsse (development).

Omar worked in Kyoto with Q-Games on the "Pixeljunk Shooter" series. At Media Molecule in England, he laid his papery fingers on the original "Tearaway" (PS Vita) and early iterations of "Dreams". He freelanced with Wild Sheep Studios (new team led by Michel Ancel) in Montpellier on "WiLD". His passion for retro Sega games led him to create the emulator "MEKA" and the "SMS Power!" research and preservation community which is still active.

Ben graduated from Gobelins School in Paris 2006, co-directing Pyrats short. Since then, he has been working in videogames ("Soul Bubbles"), writing his own comics ("Powa", "Les Chevaliers de la Chouette") and freelanced in animation between London, Paris and LA (Dreamworks, Zodiac Kids and many more).

DotEmu is a french video game company specializing in modern releases of beloved retro games. Founded in 2007, DotEmu leverages its considerable technological know-how to maintain the original spirit of classic games while giving them a second life as rediscovered gems for a new generation of gamers. Over the years, DotEmu has worked with many large companies, including Square Enix (Final Fantasy series), SNK (Metal Slug and Fatal Fury Series) and Ubisoft (Heroes of Might and Magic III HD).

How to submit questions:

To submit your 'Wonder Boy' questions to LizardCube, please send me a private message titled, "Q&A - LizardCube". In your private message, you may ask up to two questions. To send a pm - click on a user's profile page and then "start a conversation."

Deadline to submit questions:

December 9th, 2017 at 11:00 PM Central Time (U.S. and Canada)

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll leave the genuine questions for others. All I'd ask is if they had Wonderboy by Tenacious D blasting every day while they worked

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty cool. Thanks for setting it up ERA staff!

Also Kermit is a solid avatar choice. I approve.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the community alert for announcements is a good feature I think. Beats hoping people notice a new sticky when I imagine a lot are often just checking watched threads, going right to bookmarks, etc.

Looking forward to the results of this one.

Make sure you PM the OP instead of just posting the questions, to make sure things don't get missed.

How to submit questions:

To submit your 'Wonder Boy' questions to LizardCube, please send me a private message titled, "Q&A - LizardCube". In your private message, you may ask up to two questions.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Comment: Thanks for choosing the secret best Wonder Boy game to remake!

Question: Why call the female character Hu-girl, and not Wo-man (or even Wu-man) as would be far more obvious?

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Guys, please read the red bit highlighted in the OP! You gotta send your questions in by private message!

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Also, just a comment on the game.
Wow, the Gobelins aesthetic is super strong, so it's not surprising at all Ben went there.
As someone who absolutely adores Gobelins stuff, that's super cool!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the developers going to answer the questions in video form? I think a lot of people would prefer that - ResetEra could open a Youtube Account and maybe there would be people interested in joining our forum after seeing the video.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Man, it's only been a little more than a month. How many Era puns will we have in a few years? Loving it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
First time I've sent a PM in resetera. Got a bit worried for a second, it makes it look like I posted a new thread lol

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I've got nothing to ask but I'd like to thank both the ERA staff for this opportunity and the developers for making this great great game. Hands down one of the best of the year.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Really nice! I don't think I have clever questions to ask so I'll let it for the others on this one :)

I am curious though: Is it the ResetEra staff that asks devs if they're up to do a Q&A or devs can also demand a session? And if so, are there boundaries on your side like not allowing Q&A that feel like a marketing stunt more than anything? Do you allow a Q&A pre game release for example?

Oct 29, 2017
Not really a question, I'd never heard of this until this thread popped up but now I can not get Jack Black out my head.

Who is the most helpful and/or easiest to work with when porting to their system? Also are you avoiding Steam due to the state it is in.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any chance of an extra retro mode to include the PCE/TG16 variant, even if it's just the music?

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I am curious though: Is it the ResetEra staff that asks devs if they're up to do a Q&A or devs can also demand a session? And if so, are there boundaries on your side like not allowing Q&A that feel like a marketing stunt more than anything? Do you allow a Q&A pre game release for example?

Thanks for the question.

It goes both ways. We've reached out to devs/pubs. In other cases, devs/pubs have reached out to us.

When we decide on Q&A sessions, our main question is always: "Is there anything valuable that our community can learn from this Q&A? Would this interview lead to anything educational, informative, or interesting?"

If the answer is "No" then we will reject that developer or publisher. The goal of these interviews is to learn about the process that goes into making video games and why decisions get made.

We chose Wonder Boy because we can learn about the process of remaking an old 1989 Sega game for today's audience in 2017. The Wonder Boy series had a long history on Sega systems, and we felt that was a strong enough reason to have a Q&A discussion about this particular game.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the question.

It goes both ways. We've reached out to devs/pubs. In other cases, devs/pubs have reached out to us.

When we decide on Q&A sessions, our main question is always: "Is there anything valuable that our community can learn from this Q&A? Would this interview lead to anything educational, informative, or interesting?"

If the answer is "No" then we will reject that developer or publisher. The goal of these interviews is to learn about the process that goes into making video games and why decisions get made.

We chose Wonder Boy because we can learn about the process of remaking an old 1989 Sega game for today's audience in 2017. The Wonder Boy series had a long history on Sega systems, and we felt that was a strong enough reason to have a Q&A discussion about this particular game.

Thank you for your answer! And keep up the good work, you're all doing an amazing job :)

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks to everyone at the ERA space HQ for making this happen, and so soon at that!

I very much like how the introductory OP is very informative, I found out a lot about LizardCube in that on post and also both helps us skip certain obsolete questions as well as give us more ideas on what questions to ask.

Since there's a pretty generous time limit on submitting the questions, I guess I'll ruminate on it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.