• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming I'm not allowed to ask them who their favourite iDOL from iDOLM@STER is.

Which is what I'd ask every developer.

Oct 26, 2017
I love this new feature!
Thank you for setting it up and thank you LizardCube for agreeing to answer questions!

Edit: submitted mine, let me know if you didn't get it. thanks!

Last edited:

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Good stuff, and good luck for this.

No questions from me as I haven't picked the game up yet (fully intend to when I have a lull in my Switch catalogue), but I look forward to reading the thread.

SE Toby

Square Enix - Community Manager
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
London
This sounds like a great idea - I don't have any questions myself right now for the Wonder Boy team, but I do think that these kind of initiatives are awesome. I'll keep you in mind when thinking about things to do with our own community in future!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Since the OP has no guideline except 2 questions I am taking we don't need to make questions specifically about wonder boy ?

Because I love soul bubbles and I am brazilian so I am obligated by law to make a turma da monica question

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't picked Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap because event though it looks amazing and hits some nostalgia points, I'm a little scared that it might play just like those games in the 80's, and they were mostly frustrating. On the other hand, there's one reason that makes me want to buy it: the Turma da Monica (Monica's Gang) mod:

Tela-Inicial-1200x520.png

So I'm thorn between the fear of it being frustrating, but amazed to be able to play with the Monica's Gang characters (not that the original art is bad. They're actually amazing, but Monica is effin huge here in Brazil, and everyone loves it). And now I've found out that this game was made by the same guys that made Soul Bubbles, so it definitely grew in my heart. <3

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Since the OP has no guideline except 2 questions I am taking we don't need to make questions specifically about wonder boy ?

Because I love soul bubbles and I am brazilian so I am obligated by law to make a turma da monica question

lol.

In all seriousness, since this is the first time they have done this, my guess is based on the questions submitted, there may be guidelines added in next time possibly.

It's a learning process after all :)

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a great idea - I don't have any questions myself right now for the Wonder Boy team, but I do think that these kind of initiatives are awesome. I'll keep you in mind when thinking about things to do with our own community in future!

Echoing this about how great of an idea this is across the board. The interaction is fantastic vs the Reddit format that can sometimes look (and feel) adversarial.

I'm assuming it would take an okay from all kinds of channels, but a Square Enix one would be very cool, too.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Did you learn any lessons from this game that you could give advice to others who are making games?

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it, what's the problem with community alerts? Don't you want to know when something new happens on the forum?

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
why did I get an alert on this? i was in the middle of performing brain surgery on a baby elephant, and the distraction led to a fatal error

why do you kill baby elephants, resetera? i'm an important man with a lot going on!

/s

nice feature, keep it up guys

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_n13vc9nm1Q1svlvsyo6_250.gif

Sorry, TNG rewatch plus 'Q' in a title does that.
Also, community alerts for things you would otherwise miss are great, imo.

Sad to say I don't remember the original game though. Remake art looks nice.

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
why did I get an alert on this? i was in the middle of performing brain surgery on a baby elephant, and the distraction led to a fatal error

why do you kill baby elephants, resetera? i'm an important man with a lot going on!

/s

nice feature, keep it up guys

lol

And yes, keep up the great work guys

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Did you learn any lessons from this game that you could give advice to others who are making games?

Besides the more obvious "don't overreach with your first game" (that everyone knows is important and then proceeds to ignore anyway) and general programming ones like "refactor early, refactor often" (a mantra to live for), I can also answer "a metric ton of small things that may or may not apply depending on the type of game and framework you're using (Unity in my case)". Random examples:
  • If you make a pixel art game, set the unit size in Unity to a multiple of 10 (not a power of 2 as you might first think of, e.g. 16) or you'll turn insane making stuff align to whole pixels. I personally use 10 pixels per unit.
  • Layers (for physics interactions) are very limited (24 user layers and that's it) so don't go nuts using a layer for every type of game element, especially if your game is complex and has lots of interactions. I ended up using the same layer for players and enemies! Sorting layers (for sprite ordering) are unlimited so go nuts with those.
  • Making initialization easy isn't one of Unity's fortes, especially if you have lots of elements that are generated dynamically (like in my case, or any rogueli(k/t)e). If you don't think things through in advance and centralize some of it, you'll have race conditions where dependencies may or may not have been initialized.
  • Learn early to use coroutines and when it's best to use them versus simply keeping track of things on Update (). And remember that disabling an object stops all its coroutines.
  • Unity has no support for sprite palette swaps (!). You'll have to either code a shader for that or use someone else's.
I could go on all day...

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Submitted mine! Their work on Wonder Boy was absolutely astounding. Seriously cannot wait to see whatever they come up with next!

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Definitely appreciate the curation. Some public Q&A were noteworthy in some question's... uh, dubious quality.

Gus

Oct 25, 2017
Cuiabá, Brazil
Thought I would be the only one to submit a question about "Turma da Mônica"

Boy, there is more brazilians than I thought on ERA

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
already double-dipped on this - as a master system kid, this really raised the bar on such remakes for me, just top notch work all around & the kinda detail you only see from someone who really loved the game. can't wait to support their next effort.

will submit questions if i come up with any good ones!

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Quite the amazing and impressive choice for the first Q&A. Bock/Omar (creator/engineer of this Wonderboy remake and also creator of the Master System emulator Meka) is a lovely, kind guy surrounded by a passionate, wonderful team so this should be an enlightening and great Q&A. Looking forward to this, and the inevitable next one!

Only pressing question I'd love to see asked is what their team are working on next, if they'd be happy to answer that.

Nov 2, 2017
How different is the end product compared to what they set out to achieve?

One small request: include a character named Barron in your next adventure. Muchos gracias amigo

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Submitted mine too, but I think I may have slipped up.
I just clicked on start a conversation on your profile page, as the only other option I could see was for people in the industry.
I hope that is what I was supposed to do, apologies if I did it wrong.

Last edited:

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Submitted mine too, but I think I may have slipped up.
I just clicked on start a conversation on your profile page, as the only other option I could see was for people in the industry.
I hope that is what I was supposed to do, apologies if I did it wrong.
Don't worry, you're good!

painey

Oct 27, 2017
can we not get notifications for things like this unless we specifically opt in?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't picked Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap because event though it looks amazing and hits some nostalgia points, I'm a little scared that it might play just like those games in the 80's, and they were mostly frustrating. On the other hand, there's one reason that makes me want to buy it: the Turma da Monica (Monica's Gang) mod:

Tela-Inicial-1200x520.png

So I'm thorn between the fear of it being frustrating, but amazed to be able to play with the Monica's Gang characters (not that the original art is bad. They're actually amazing, but Monica is effin huge here in Brazil, and everyone loves it). And now I've found out that this game was made by the same guys that made Soul Bubbles, so it definitely grew in my heart. <3

It's definitely got some old-school sensibilities like being sent all the way back to town with no spells and a random shot at a free medicine that restores a random amount of hearts, and maybe you'll wish to go visit your favorite treasure spots to stock up before retrying, (the charm stone mechanic for unlocking new shop items was eliminated from the remaster), but I'd say it's still one of the 8-bit games that holds up the best to this day (I'd even say it's the best game of the gen next to SMB3). The remaster also gives it a fresh look if you're not into big pixels!

And oh, there's also an Easy mode if you do feel it's difficult. I think the bigger concern is value as it's not a terribly long game.

Anyway, gonna think of some questions. Already got one childhood mystery solved by the dev on the old forums (regarding the weird "houses" on clouds that would randomly appear in the post-prologue cutscene).

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely got some old-school sensibilities like being sent all the way back to town with no spells and a random shot at a free medicine that restores a random amount of hearts, and maybe you'll wish to go visit your favorite treasure spots to stock up before retrying, (the charm stone mechanic for unlocking new shoå items was eliminated from the remaster), but I'd say it's still one of the 8-bit games that holds up the best to this day (I'd even say it's the best game of the gen next to SMB3). The remaster also gives it a fresh look if you're not into big pixels!

And oh, there's also an Easy mode if you do feel it's difficult. I think the bigger concern is value as it's not a terribly long game.

Anyway, gonna think of some questions. Already got one childhood mystery solved by the dev on the old forums (regarding the weird "houses" on clouds that would randomly appear in the post-prologue cutscene).
Oh, that's great! Thanks for the info!

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Great idea. I don't really have any questions to contribute despite loving the game, but I look forward to reading the interview when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.