• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
"_________ is overrated".

aka: "Not only did I not like _________, everyone else was wrong to like it as much as they did".

It's one of those words that instantly makes me lose respect for someone who says it.

"This looks like a PS2 game."

No one is ever correct when using this.
This one is doubly infuriating because even the "professional*" outlets will say something like this on rare occasions. Polygon tried to pull this on The Last Guardian, of all games, a few years back:

tumblr_ok4hxbsEHG1ukholjo1_r1_540.gif

oh yeah, sure, there's just tons of PS2 games that look that good

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
"i didn't like [game], but it's still better than 90% of games out there". i'm not sure what this is supposed to mean? 90% of most forms of media is garbage, you're not going to convince me that the game is decent by saying it's better than, like, steam garbage
whatever, ambition rules

maxresdefault.jpg
stop saying "immersive" or i'll blow us all to hell
i'm genuinely upset that we never got a conclusion to this series, i'm not even kidding

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"X game has not aged well"

Video games aren't people, people :v
It just happens that your expectations are different now; within modern paradigms.
But "aged game mechanics" can be recontextualized and still be enjoyable.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
"git gud" seems to be leading as most annoying phrase, and I agree that it's the worst of the gen.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Calling people cooperation shrill or whatnot if you, god forbid, agree with a cooperation's stance or statement. Often goes hand and hand with 'anti-consumer', which is misused 90% around here.

Last edited:

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't in the "target audience" or some variation of

Seems like a poor excuse to write off any kind of criticism. Like just because something is for kids shouldn't excuse it of being poor quality.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
"unplayable garbage"

"one of the worst games I've ever played" for stuff like Fallout 4. Like, no it's fucking not, unless you've played 2 games in your life.

Threads like these make me realize how much I fucking loathe hyperbolic horsehit people spew

Yep. Dogpile mentalities piss me the fuck off 95% of the time. There is the rare instance I feel a game/dev has earned a dogpile.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a good game, it's just not a good [series] game.

This.

What games are you C O N S U M I N G, era?

I've consumed so much media this week

I may not have time to consume RE2 before KH3 comes out

These business practices are against my interests as a consumer

Also this, along with "purchase", "experience", "value proposition", and any other technical bullshit phrasing thrown around to describe buying or playing a game.

May 1, 2018
'the game has bad netcode'

please stfu if you don't code
Just because I have appreciation and sympathy for the Rivals of Aether devs and all the work they've done, doesn't mean I'm gonna swallow and just play their online. I'm really glad they've mentioned changing netcode now.

If a game has meaningfully worse netcode than GGPO... I'm calling it bad netcode. I don't care how much work ArcSys put into making the best delay-based netcode.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
"git gud"

"Censorship"

"baby mode"(when an easy mode gets added to a game. Just let those people play on easy while you continue playing the harder difficulties. No reason to be angry over the inclusion of an easier mode)

May 1, 2018
I don't have any knowledge on Xenoblade to be able to even know what you're talking about, but it seems very reasonable. But I think people can usually understand when something just isn't for them. There are exceptions, but they should be treated as such. That response is used too often to always be for exceptions.

There's "why isn't X, Y instead?", and then there's "X would be better if they changed this and that".
Yeah, just saying "it's subjective" in response to arguments about media really irritates me.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Respect my time", irks to me to hell and back. It usually almost always translates to "I have no patience"
I'll be the first to say I have no patience because its the truth, but I also lack time so if I feel like a game is wasting it, it's annoying and I may drop it for that. I just don't see the issue with that one.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defending any genuine criticism of a game with "this just isn't the game for you".

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be the first to say I have no patience because its the truth, but I also lack time so if I feel like a game is wasting it, it's annoying and I may drop it for that. I just don't see the issue with that one.

Right but that usually has nothing to do with it respecting your time, it's the other way around. It has more with you not respecting the game enough to give it time. If you don't have enough time for a game that's fine but don't blame that on the game.

Oct 25, 2017
When a game is critically acclaimed, you see stuff like "I liked the game, but for me it was an 8 not a 10 like everybody is saying".

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Every hyperbolic reaction ever. Spamming bomba in particular. Or using phrases like "garbage" for the smallest of flaws. Also, claiming a game is overrated just because said person didn't happen to like it as much as others.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
When gamers use corporate lingo, like "moving SKUs" or "shifting units" or whatever.

Like if you're not in a sales thread, just say "selling games/systems" like a normal person.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
"Fucking N*****!"...Imagine the horror on my face as I walk into the living room and hear that echoing on my surround sound speakers while my 10 year old plays Fortnite. I make him mute all comms now and only allow him to play in a private party with friends I know. That shit is way to common in games I play, anything competitive really. Shit had to even change my message settings to friends only because of salty For Honor dudes.
Edit: Its always some variation of that. Add in a couple pussies, bitches, etc.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
"Fucking N*****!"...Imagine the horror on my face as I walk into the living room and hear that echoing on my surround sound speakers while my 10 year old plays Fortnite. I make him mute all comms now and only allow him to play in a private party with friends I know. That shit is way to common in games I play, anything competitive really. Shit had to even change my message settings to friends only because of salty For Honor dudes.
This for sure. I would also add "get raped" as an awful phrase but it seems to have died down lately from what I have observed.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

We aren't allowed to give our opinion on whether a game is as fun today as it was when it was released.

"This game is unplayable"

"(Thing X) is anti-consumer!"
- Stop! Just stop with this please!

We aren't allowed to criticize anti-consumer practices in gaming either.

"The writing is bad"

I lol everytime. Wtf yall know about writing for a game lol. Jack shit

Criticism of the writing component of games is also, apparently, off the table...

You people are ridiculous.