• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned so I will say one I have been nitpicky about ....

"OP"

Starting out it was fine cause it was not used as much, but now its gotten out of hand.

In most things competitive, it annoys me when someone immediately says this and refuses to learn how to overcome this "OP" character or strategy.... at least fucking try damn it.

May 1, 2018
We aren't allowed to give our opinion on whether a game is as fun today as it was when it was released.
Just because a game was innovative when it first released doesn't mean it was any more fun or good back then. "Doesn't hold up well" indicates to me that a game was always bad, it just has a lot more competition now. But it also implies that the person saying it thinks the game used to be good, but... stopped being good despite not changing.
We aren't allowed to criticize anti-consumer practices in gaming either.
It's a buzzword. A zealous one.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So, basically, just eliminate every piece of vocabulary we have established to talk about games? Oh, and stop talking about games...

There are a lot of quality entries here. Like, obviously "lazy devs" is just a shitty ignorant comment to make. Similarly, dismissing things because they are indie is also a widespread problem closely tethered to ignorance. Walking simulator is another one that needs to be replaced by something that isn't intended to dismiss an entire genre out of hand. But a lot of the suggestions here would just necessitate people creating another word that means the same thing. Moreover, claiming that people can't criticize lackluster writing is just an absurd statement.

It's a buzzword. A zealous one.

Anti-consumer isn't a "buzzword". It is a descriptive word that is extremely useful when decrying practices that are exploitative of the consumer.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Lotta good stuff in here.

Wanted to give this one some love:
What games are you C O N S U M I N G, era?

I've consumed so much media this week

I may not have time to consume RE2 before KH3 comes out

These business practices are against my interests as a consumer
I fuckin' hate this. In so many ways I probably can't fully articulate. It mainly makes me angry when people use their role in the consumer/producer dynamic to treat other human beings in whatever disrespectful manner they wish (often while expecting to be treated with the respect they refuse to give). "The audience owes you nothing"... except yeah, you owe another human being who hasn't wronged you basic respect as a human being.

Also, gonna throw the phrase "valid criticism" into the mix. Seems to be mostly used by people who want their opinion to be taken more seriously than everyone else's, or cannot accept that others simply don't care about it, or think their opinion is above being challenged for some reason. It's also one of those phrases that comes off as lacking self-awareness in the sense that the person making the criticism is the one determining its validity?

EDIT: "OH SO WE CAN CRITICIZE THING ANYMORE?!"

What's most likely happening here is you're being an asshole, misusing a term, or grossly exaggerating, and people don't want to deal with it. Learn to speak to others respectfully and responsibly.

Last edited:

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Whats your favourite song in Dark Souls?
Whats your favourite boss in Dark Souls?
Whats your favourite texture in Dark Souls?
If Dark Souls was a human, who would it be?
Dark Souls is amazing, do you agree?
What if Dark Souls never existed?
I found this new thing in Dark Souls
Have you ever been playing Dark Souls when ...
The weather was so bad today it reminded me of Dark Souls
My dinner reminded me of that scene in Dark Souls
Please remake Dark Souls, again.
Can we have Dark Souls on PS5/Xbox2?
Omg Dark Souls
If Dark Souls was a movie, who would play the main character?
But, Dark Souls.
SoulsBorne
Lots of love FROM Dark Souls

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm so tired of reading that something is "a bad look" or seeing the response "this ain't it". I see the both phrases used several times a day on these boards. It's not that hard to be a little more descriptive than that.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
"That type of gameplay has aged".

"It's a more complete package"

"Holistic experience"

"It's a good game, but a bad x franchise"

"Makes you feel like"

"This game is moving the industry forward"

Oct 27, 2017
We need to talk about *insert thing here*.

It's mostly a ResetEra thing, but good lord no we dont need to talk about something as stupid and pointless as unlocking characters in Smash. Stop making the most pointless shit sound like the most important shit.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
People hating on a thing for using Unity when it's just one of many different forms of middleware. It's an inane criticism because it speaks in no way to quality of how a game is crafted, merely that it exists.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Not specifically gamer, but:

"It's 2018.."

Soon to be replaced by:

"It's 2019.."

Ugh yes. Very rarely it might make sense in non gaming contexts, eg it's 2018 and people still think blackface is OK.
I don't think I've ever seen the need to remind us what the year is in a videogame context.
Apart from the Jumanji what year is it picture, that's fine.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It's a good game, just not a good x game.
(I hate hate this comment. I loathe it)

X game's story is pretentious.
(No, it's really not)

Era, convince me to like a game I'm not enjoying.
(STOP PLAYING GAMES YOU DON'T ENJOY)

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
We need to talk about *insert thing here*.

It's mostly a ResetEra thing, but good lord no we dont need to talk about something as stupid and pointless as unlocking characters in Smash. Stop making the most pointless shit sound like the most important shit.
Lmao holy shit this is spot on. The way that sounds make it feel overly serious. "WE need to talk about unlocking Smash Bros characters.." dude you sound like I'm about to get diagnosed wtf

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
"Can't play as ___ because it breaks my immersion"

Tells me you're some kind of a bigot on the down low.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Unless it's a Kojima game, a Final Fantasy title post FF6, anything written by David Cage, or has the word "Xeno" in its title, then yeah, it really is.
I was thinking more of complaints about indie games that get labelled this. So yeah, the games you mentioned are the exceptions 😉

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything? The way we talk about games in general just kind of sucks. Like I don't expect high grade literary discussion but it's mostly nitpicks repeated ad nauseum disguised as "critical analysis" that most of the time just comes across as flat out wrong.

Jun 22, 2018
"If you enjoy game ______ you're part of the problem!"

We don't all enjoy the same things. It's okay to enjoy games others dislike for any reason.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
My stars!
giphy.gif

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Lmao holy shit this is spot on. The way that sounds make it feel overly serious. "WE need to talk about unlocking Smash Bros characters.." dude you sound like I'm about to get diagnosed wtf
This, but this is such an issue with Era in general. This place is full of near constant hyperbole and pretentiousness. I swear some people talk about mtx like they're crimes against humanity.

Nuance is dead, and everything is either the worst thing that's ever happened or the greatest mortal achievement. There's no such thing as a good idea badly executed or something that's enjoyable but flawed.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
video game to food analogies, my god. stop it please.
This, but this is such an issue with Era in general. This place is full of near constant hyperbole and pretentiousness. I swear some people talk about mtx like they're crimes against humanity.

Nuance is dead, and everything is either the worst thing that's ever happened or the greatest mortal achievement. There's no such thing as a good idea badly executed or something that's enjoyable but flawed.
that goes for pretty much anywhere in this day of age on the internet TBH

Oct 29, 2017
"If Doom can run on Switch then X game can run on Switch no problem."

Shit like this.

Not only is this a baseless, uninformed take on the Switch's capabilties most of the time, the Switch doesn't even run Doom well compared to the other platforms. It's impressive that it runs as well as it does...but it still doesn't run well in general, and I don't want more third party titles if that's how they're going to look and play.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whats your favourite song in Dark Souls?
Whats your favourite boss in Dark Souls?
Whats your favourite texture in Dark Souls?
If Dark Souls was a human, who would it be?
Dark Souls is amazing, do you agree?
What if Dark Souls never existed?
I found this new thing in Dark Souls
Have you ever been playing Dark Souls when ...
The weather was so bad today it reminded me of Dark Souls
My dinner reminded me of that scene in Dark Souls
Please remake Dark Souls, again.
Can we have Dark Souls on PS5/Xbox2?
Omg Dark Souls
If Dark Souls was a movie, who would play the main character?
But, Dark Souls.
SoulsBorne
Lots of love FROM Dark Souls

....Who actually says any of these? what?

YoEssay

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I got called a noob last week playing my first couple Rainbow 6 Siege games ever. Wasn't insulted. Don't think it needs to die out, but DAMN, haven't heard someone call someone that seriously in like 13 years.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
"__________ [developer] owes us this." 99.9% of the time, no, they don't. The only recent thing where a developer legitimately owes anyone anything is the fallout 76 power armor edition bag ordeal. They owe those people canvas bags.

Also, some of you guys need a bit of justification to what you're saying other than "I don't like this phrase". For example:
I get that it has become a very commonly used phrase lately but, what would you prefer they say to get the same point across?

Just about any lazy dev rhetoric is unacceptable to me because 99.9% of the time the person hasn't got a single clue as to what goes in to making these games or the decisions behind what goes into the game.

In general people are very hyperbolic in their reactions to big name games and that really bothers me.