• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
"It's a great game, except for [horrible issue], [game breaking bug], [show stopping glitches]" 10/10!

Also "You try and make a better game" is the worse empty argument that gamers try to make, I'm not sure if the whole "lets make this personal and about you" argument style is worse, they're both wretched.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
HE05WKM.gif

Oct 25, 2017
"Game X is trash"

Usually aimed at critically acclaimed, 80%+ AAA games.

Usually said by people who are in a very vocal minority and cannot tolerate the idea of being so.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's not game-specific, but the use of "Shame." to describe every little thing that doesn't quite fit into someone's expectation, no matter how small, is really annoying. Seems to have gained lots of traction within the past year or so, or at least that's when I started noticing its use in just about every internet discussion.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
"No soul" "tacked-on" "literally unplayable"
"x game is not made for you, therefore you cant criticize it"
"xbox has no games"
"avoid x game because of its fanbase"

This last one is very idiotic especially for single player games like undertale. Yeah, cause totally its the devs fault they gained a toxic fanbase.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Keep politics out of games"

"I just want to talk about games"

"It doesn't matter what skin color/gender/etc a character is as long as they're written well"

"If you play video games, you're a gamer."

"Not all gamers"

"Other fandoms are just as bad"

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
"Can't play as ___ because it breaks my immersion"

Tells me you're some kind of a bigot on the down low.
that tells you someone is a bigot? okay.

I get pretty tired of people telling me trophies are only for people trying to show off their e-penis or some other snide remark about trophies/achievements. Fuck off with your bs, it's my game, it's my time, I'll do as I please thank you.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pro-dev harassment arguments usually along the lines of "if -I- did a bad job at my place of employment I would be fired!"

Toxic shitbags who, when called out, predictably revert to "WOW I GUESS THERE'S A DEFENSE FORCE FOR EVERTHING" and "FUCK OFF CORPORATE BALL-LICKER" comebacks.

Painfully un-self-aware posters who demand economic justice, but only in games, not in real life where it would be bad and they're actually libertarian scum.

People who continually pound on the "remove the bloat from AAA game budgets!!!" drum, but then immediately turn around and blame "lack of marketing" for the failures of a particular game.

"Looks like shit" from some Era user commenting on leaked alpha version gameplay. This person has also probably bitched about how the games industry is "too secretive" more than once.

Perma-rose-colored-glasses good ol' days-ing. Usually in conjunction with brave declarations about how they "don't get" twitch and multiplayer games.

Barely-concealed threads designed to shit on specific games under a dishonest "convince me why I should play <game>" thread title.

"Era is not a hivemind" despite the fact that the forum's own surveys show that it's demographic is mostly made up of thirtysomething white males who overwhelmingly prefer one type of gaming experience: AAA narrative-based "cinematic" single player action/adventure games.

Anti-micro transaction crusaders who feign outrage and concern "for the children" because that's a more compelling-looking argument than just admitting to themselves and others that they just want microtransactions gone because they think that microtransactions make games worse products.

Last edited:

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
Might be risky to say this, but i still have a soft spot for the phrases "rekt" and "pwned" so i kinda hope they are saved from the gaming lingo dustbin.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Money Hat"

Companies pay other companies for goods and services so that you buy their own goods and services.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Calling a game "souls" because of it's difficulty
"This game is nor for you"(context: trying to dismiss criticism by throwing this)
"This game gonna sells anywyay"
Calling every game "metroidvania"
Using "stop hating" against criticism or calling them "toxic"
"Gamers arise" or "gamers were a mistake"

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling a game "souls" because of it's difficulty
"This game is nor for you"(context: trying to dismiss criticism by throwing this)
"This game gonna sells anywyay"
Calling every game "metroidvania"
Using "stop hating" against criticism or calling them "toxic"
"Gamers arise" or "gamers were a mistake"
Gamerz are a mistake tho

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Not sure about phrases, but in general, new Twitch slang is fucking stupid.

Pogchamp, jebaited, etc.

Lame as fuck.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
'Its because of the lag'.

No, its not annoying. In fact i think its perfect phrase for an excuse to always give when you get owned and cant admit it :)

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Yep, dismissing a game just because the protagonist is either a women or non-white is weak stuff.

Started seeing that nonsense around the time GTA: SA came out.
I mean, I can see it. It probably does point to some shitty opinions in some folks but I tend to use male protags 90% of the time because I'm a dude. Doesn't mean anything outside of that though.

I guess it would depend on how someone said/wrote it.

I also understand that this hobby has far too many shitheads to think otherwise so you're probably right in leaning towards thinking that way.

Edit: After re-reading you're post though, you don't really say anything about outright dismissing a game. I thought you meant if someone, say, chooses a male character instead of a female character because of immersion, which in and of itself is a bit silly but I digress. I would never not play a game because of the protag but as I said, given the choice I usually choose a male character because of my own sex.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of GOAT. It's not the GOAT. It's a thing you like.

Oh I have a better one!

"But, but, but..."
Or
"But era told me..."

Literally any time the above is said, it's an extremely reductive misrepresentation of an argument that person clearly disagreed with, likely in a different thread (and an argument they likely lost...).

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Pro-dev harassment arguments usually along the lines of "if -I- did a bad job at my place of employment I would be fired!"

Toxic shitbags who, when called out, predictably revert to "WOW I GUESS THERE'S A DEFENSE FORCE FOR EVERTHING" and "FUCK OFF CORPORATE BALL-LICKER" comebacks.

Painfully un-self-aware posters who demand economic justice, but only in games, not in real life where it would be bad and they're actually libertarian scum.

People who continually pound on the "remove the bloat from AAA game budgets!!!" drum, but then immediately turn around and blame "lack of marketing" for the failures of a particular game.

"Looks like shit" from some Era user commenting on leaked alpha version gameplay. This person has also probably bitched about how the games industry is "too secretive" more than once.

Perma-rose-colored-glasses good ol' days-ing. Usually in conjunction with brave declarations about how they "don't get" twitch and multiplayer games.

Barely-concealed threads designed to shit on specific games under a dishonest "convince me why I should play <game>" thread title.

"Era is not a hivemind" despite the fact that the forum's own surveys show that it's demographic is mostly made up of thirtysomething white males who overwhelmingly prefer one type of gaming experience: AAA narrative-based "cinematic" single player action/adventure games.

Anti-micro transaction crusaders who feign outrage and concern "for the children" because that's a more compelling-looking argument than just admitting to themselves and others that they just want microtransactions gone because they think that microtransactions make games worse products.
Yeah all of this.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
That nostalgia stuff is so accurate. People bring that shit up in every discussion regarding an old game. "Take your nostalgia glasses off, and you'll see the game is great"... nope, just nope.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I mean, I can see it. It probably does point to some shitty opinions in some folks but I tend to use male protags 90% of the time because I'm a dude. Doesn't mean anything outside of that though.

I guess it would depend on how someone said/wrote it.

I also understand that this hobby has far too many shitheads to think otherwise so you're probably right in leaning towards thinking that way.

Don't get me wrong I'm not attacking folks choosing their own race/gender options in games. I'm talking about the ones that throw a fit when they don't have a choice.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
"It's better with friends".

Installing a TV or setting up a heater and basically any activity is better with friends because you like those people.

When a game is so goddamn awful that people seem to paint "playing with friends" as a positive, I just think they're bullshiting about the whole thing.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
  • "Should <Game Developer> turn <Series name> into <Popular game>?"
  • "If you don't like <Something>, you're not a true <Series name> fan"
  • [Calling people who's good at certain game "Nerds" or "Tryhards", especially with "... with no personal life"]
  • "<Definetely not a good game> is fun (optionally "... with friends")" — well, watching paint dry is also can be fun with friends.
  • "<Game remaster> looks like a just the same game with higher resolution!"
  • "Just buy a <Console>" — if it was just as easy as they say, I'd have done it already.
  • [Making word "Gamer" as some sort of a ill mentality (not just a hobby of playing video games)]

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Playing as a female character = Waifu. If that's true then playing as a male character = Husbano. See how stupid you sound?

Calling a game trash. Look for better ways to articulate why you don't like a certain game.

Constantly complaining about the same game with the same critique in every thread. For example, take a look at days gone threads and you'll see the same people complaining about the same shit for years. Move on, there are a multitude of other games for you to go enjoy.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
"Shut up f****t."

I hated this during my teen years in Halo or other online games, and still dislike it now.

Pretty much why I never use voice chat. Gamers are bad losers

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Referring to games as "experiences". Come on, you're not in marketing. You don't need to talk like a PR guy.

I'd place gamers, and really just the general public engaging with a book, movie, or game, using the phrase "consuming content" above this but yeah. Really, all of our conversations revolve around the toilet bowl of some PR marketing firm.