• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
"Lazy devs" and when people say it would be easy to add this and this to a game

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Anything involving complaints about pandering to the SJWs when it's usually said by cis gender straight white men who don't realise they've been pandered to constantly their whole fucking lives.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
"The [insert poorly implemented gameplay mechanic or system] isn't bad, it's just weighty/immersive/cinematic."
"I don't game on PC because [insert outdated and/or misinformed reason that was maybe valid 20 years ago]."

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can we have a thread about phrases that should come back? I miss w00t. It's like something a happy owl would say. w00t!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Who buys X for the campaigns? I don't even play the campaign so I don't understand why they keep making them."

"I've skipped the past 5 games in this series and I don't understand what people see in them. They all look the same to me. When is this series that I refuse to play going to start innovating?"

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly sure if this counts or is considered to be a gamer phrase but... my personal pet peeve phrase is when a guy says "man cave", insinuating that in that man cave, consists of his hobby... called gaming. I don't like that term and the way it sounds... especially as a lady that ALSO plays games. Sooo what? Do I call my gaming set up in my room as a "lady cave"? I think not. I'd rather make it gender neutral and just call it the game room. Plain and simple.

Also, I agree with pretty much a good majority of posts in this thread too.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
"Ugh, why can't I just buy the newest installment of the series that's been going on for 10+ years and get perfectly up to speed within the first 20 minutes? Ain't nobody got time for this crap!"

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
"(Meme character) for smash." Especially Goku or Sans

And the closely related

"(Recent Smash addition) broke all the rules, the gates are open!" When I would argue a lot of these recent additions kind of make the rules more defined and observable.

But I guess that's kind of on me for being too irritable? Obviously anything I come up is pure conjecture and I know just as much as the next person because "the rules" are secret, but I don't think the rules are as wide as people like to claim

Deleted member 50460

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
By far the worst offender for me is "Cuck". People I know that use it have no idea what it even means or where it comes from and choose to completely disregard that it's deeply rooted in alt right and nazi culture.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Completely surprising that this thread is rife with some strange passive-aggressiveness and low key shade being thrown at certain subsections of our own forum.

I'd honestly argue that these threads are just as bad, if not worse, than many of the supposedly annoying phrases being complained about.

obviously not counting hate speech of course. that's always unacceptable

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
"Janky". Just say a game has unpolished animations or less than smooth controls. The word says nothing and is annoying.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
(gay character is in a video game)

"GOD STOP RUBBING IT IN THAT THIS CHARACTER IS GAY KEEP POLITICS OUT OF VIDEO GAMES GEESH"

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
"X game is objectively good/bad"

"*insert publisher/dev here* clearly has a grudge against Nintendo because this one random port isn't coming to switch"

"Doom and wolfenstein are on switch so clearly every other AAA game can run on the switch/nothing about this AAA game seems impossible on switch"

"RIP newly acquired MS studio"

"Dear era, help me enjoy this game"

"*runs into super minor glitch* it broke my immesion!"

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Man i've seen people say they refuse to buy 2D games because it's "lazy" wtf does that even mean?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
"Dear era, help me enjoy this game"
I don't particularly have a problem with these threads when done in good faith, hell FernandoRocker made one about BotW and ended up finally enjoying the game.

My issue comes when someone makes a thread like that, and as the discussion develops it becomes pretty clear the OP meant "This game is pretty trash amirite or amirite?"

Oct 27, 2017
"Cringe". Please for the love of all things, stop using this shit. You're not some bastion of righteousness. Get off your high horse. I myself have even tried to commit to not using it anymore with how stupid it is.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst one is whenever some gaming executive (almost always Reggie Fils-Aime for some reason) gives an interview it's labeled as "PR speak". Like no shit it is got anymore to say?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I cannot stand people treating things they don't like as 'trash' or 'garbage' or an 'abomination.' Yes, I get it, you wanted to play a two player Smash match instead of a four player match, but that does not mean the online is the worst thing that has ever happened to anyone ever. People need to cool their shit. We're talking about video games, stop going to a ten when your frustration deserves a five at best.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I can't think of any that hasn't been said already. The over abundant use of "GOAT" and "PS2 game"

Haven't seen it lately, but whenever there's some kind of version of a "What kind of remake/remaster/sequel would you like to see?" and someone says "None. I just want new games" bugs the crap out of me.

The bizarre usage of Anime in regards to tropes or art style of a game.

"Gamer"

One of the hottest takes in this entire thread. Don't @ me.

I remember a thread being made about "don't @ me" as it was taking off on things like Twitter. Most people thought it was a joke. I can't believe it actually caught on. It's just an obnoxious and pointless way to shield yourself from criticism.