• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A little bit about my history with the Souls series first. I played a bit of Demon Souls back in the day, but never finished it. The last boss I remember beating was the flamelurker. I thought it was fine, but ultimately just got distracted and never finished it. I tried playing Dark Souls a while after it released and never finished it either. I remember fighting the Taurus Demon, but can't remember if I beat it or not. I thought the game was fine, but never really got into it. Can't explain why, but at the time it just wasn't doing much for me. Then Bloodborne came out and I got obsessed. Played it to completion twice, easily one of my games of the generation.

I've been thinking about giving Dark Souls another try for a while now. The game is old as dicks now so I've heard quite a bit about it, and one of the things that always appealed to me was the interconnected world. One of my favourite things about Bloodborne was finding a shortcut and seeing just how all the areas connected to one another, and from what I'd head Dark Souls was the best at that. So recently I decided to buy the Remaster and see how it went.

And I'm bloody glad I did. What an absolutely fantastic game. I think knowing roughly what to expect going in this time helped, but I was hooked from the get go. It's a game of very few faults. I'll try to highlight what I feel are the good and bad points, as well as some of my own memorable experiences.

The Good
- The atmosphere. Everything about the game feels so oppressive and dangerous in a way that no other game I've played has. Everything from the lore, location design, enemy design, the lack of music and the enemies all play into this perfectly.

- The level design. Coming from Bloodborne I had high expectations here and they were more than met. The first time you take that elevator down from Undead Parish back to Firelink Shrine was utterly mind blowing.

- The difficulty. The game was definitely challenging at times, but rarely did I feel it was unfair. Once I got to grips with the combat (started getting a feel for it around the first Black Knight, going for back stabs over parries) most deaths felt like mistakes on my part. I knew that it was because I didn't read an incoming attack right, or got greedy or went for an extra hit when I should have backed off, or I didn't pay attention to how much health I had left. I died a lot, but dying never felt like failure. Respawning at a bonfire and having to fight back to where I was really helped with cementing the level design in my brain.

- The bosses (most of them). They felt more like puzzles than combat encounters for the first part. I quickly got over that fear of stepping through a fog wall once I went in with the mentality that I was definitely going to die the first couple of times. The first attempt or two was like studying, seeing what their attacks were like and what I had to work with in the arena.

- The online elements. I know you can play the game offline but I'm really not sure why you'd want to. Messages from other players pointed me to so many things that I would for sure have missed other wise. Calling in summons to help with a couple of bosses (which I probably could have beaten alone if I'd persevered) was always a joy. Giving each other a little soundless gesture before charging through a fog gate felt really good. Like there was a mutual camaraderie there with something I'd never met before, and would never meet again. And I really like the way it tied into the lore. I only got invaded once or twice because I spent most of the game in Hollow form, and even then I managed to beat the invaders each time. I also really enjoyed dropping a soap sigh by a boss gate after beating it and helping out others who were struggling.

- The lack of direction. No map, no quest log, no objective markers or anything like that. You find where you need to go either by stumbling along and getting lucky, or by speaking with NPCs and actually listening to what they tell you. There's occasional cutscenes to guide you (like after ringing the second bell) but for the most part, you're just following queues in game and I loved that. Made every discover feel like an actual discovery. I played a good chunk of this game while referencing a wiki, but I feel like the game was almost designed to be played like that way. Some of the stuff is so obscure that they were clearly relying on the community working together to figure out the game as whole.

- The combat. I played mostly as a Knight focusing on strength. I ended up going all in on the butches knife. I loved how deliberate and unforgiving it was, but landing a good parry or back stab never got old.

The Bad
- Some of the bosses. The Bed Of Chaos is the obvious one here. It wasn't difficult, but it was pretty poor and the run to it was one of the longest and least interesting in the game. Pinwheel was also disappointing, he died in about 1 stamina bars worth of hits before I even realised. Fighting the asylum demon 3 times was also a let down. The Capra Demon was the only boss that I felt was legitimately bullshit, and the difficulty came entirely from the dogs that just got in your way and didn't attack/behave consistently. I died to some other bosses much more than I did to the Capra Demon, but the Capra Demon just felt unfair to me, like I was relying on getting lucky and being able to take out the dogs early.

- Wasn't a fan of the crystal caves. It's a super short area but the idea of entirely invisible walk ways just doesn't sit well with me, even if they didn't cause me as much trouble as I thought they would

- I wish NG+ gave you the opportunity to respec your character. I also wish the game let you continuing exploring your current run after beating the final boss, just to tie up loose ends, but I get why it doesn't from a story perspective.

Immediately after being the game, I started a NG+ and a new character. I wanted to play around with magic since I didn't even cast a single spell, miracle or pyromancy on my first run. My NG+ run was just for fun, decided to plough through the game and see how far I could get without dying. Didn't light a bonfire after Firelink, and managed to get to the Gaping Dragon before dying. Just a fun little hour or two of being OP and destroying everything.

All in all an easy 10/10 for me. I'm glad I waited for the remaster because I've heard stories about the performance in some areas in the original, but as far as I can remember I didn't run into any bugs or performance issues. Would highly recommend to anyone and strongly suggest people don't be put off by the legendary difficulty. I didn't think the game was much harder than any other game once I got into the swing of it.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I actually want to do an RTTP since I just got my very first gaming laptop. Seriously wondering what the best way to play is on PC right now.

I want to go with Remastered edition on Steam and go for this ReShade mod, I think it looks gorgeous:

Two questions:

1. Will they ban you for playing DT:Remastered online with ReShade?
2. Does DT:Remastered PC have the same ambient audio glitches/problems as the console versions?

PS: I beat the game three times on PS3 and even despite the dog shit technical performance, it climbed to basically my favorite game of all time. Total masterpiece.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
I personally prefer Dark Souls III and Bloodborne to DS1 but I have to admit there is unique expierience that no later game reproduced. The lack of fast travel in first half of the game made you really feel like you are on pilgrimage to Anor Londo. You start in very raw looking enviroments and overall oppressive sound and level design so when you get to beautiful city drenched in perpetfual sunset it feels like a reward. Later game have many areas like that and none of them stands out as much.
I would however disagree with notion that DS1 is tough but fair, camera does you dirty many, many times. Later games are better in this regard.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I personally prefer Dark Souls III and Bloodborne to DS1 but I have to admit there is unique expierience that no later game reproduced. The lack of fast travel in first half of the game made you really feel like you are on pilgrimage to Anor Londo. You start in very raw looking enviroments and overall oppressive sound and level design so when you get to beautiful city drenched in perpetfual sunset it feels like a reward. Later game have many areas like that and none of them stands out as much.
I would however disagree with notion that DS1 is tough but fair, camera does you dirty many, many times. Later games are better in this regard.

While I agree with the camera, well, doing ya dirty, I'm currently playing Sekiro again and man, From's camera issues never seem to have improved. That game is particularly brutal with its camera fuckery.

OP
OP

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I genuinely can't think of a time the camera screwed me over. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did it wasn't obvious enough for me to take notice.

I started playing through DS3 a few days ago and while the actual moment to moment combat is good, I feel everything else about it is lacking.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I personally enjoy the Crystal Cave, but I can see why others may not. To me, they're emblematic of one of the defining features of Dark Souls that makes it stand apart from the rest of the series: "gimmicky" level design. Crystal Cave, Sen's Fortress, The Catacombs, New Londo Ruins, Tomb of the Giants - each of these areas has a unique trait related to environmental hazards or enemies that make them a real treat to play through not only the first time but also on repeat runs. Later games might have more intricate and denser level design in general, but they don't feel quite as ambitious in pushing players with unique challenges.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
1. Will they ban you for playing DT:Remastered online with ReShade?
2. Does DT:Remastered PC have the same ambient audio glitches/problems as the console versions?

1. I can't say for certain, but I doubt it.
2. Yes, the exact same glitches which have never been fixed. Ambient audio will cut out and the only way to fix it is to quit to the title screen and reload.

If I was going replay the game again I'd stick to the old version with DSFix, but if that isn't an option this version is okay if you don't mind constantly reloading or the sound glitches don't bother you.

Dec 6, 2017
US
1. I can't say for certain, but I doubt it.
2. Yes, the exact same glitches which have never been fixed. Ambient audio will cut out and the only way to fix it is to quit to the title screen and reload.

If I was going replay the game again I'd stick to the old version with DSFix, but if that isn't an option this version is okay if you don't mind constantly reloading or the sound glitches don't bother you.

Hey thanks for the input. The sound issue is a big deal for me and honestly a deal breaker. I'll look into DSfix. Do you know if there are popular ReShade mods for it?

Googling now I'm honestly surprised there's no patch or mod out there for PC Remastered addressing those audio glitches.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Crystal Caves are too short and too easy to get back to to be that bad. Honestly I like it conceptually, I just think because it's so truncates From didn't have the space to play around with. I don't know about y'all, but the first time I walked in the rafters in Anor Londo I was sweating trying not to fall off. Crystal Caves gives you that same sort of anxiety. I can't say I like the area, but I do like what it could have been. It's the only time in the series I think I used prism stones, lol.