• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like every fashion company made a bet about who could release the most offensive and insensitive piece of clothing.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of rappers did/do compare the big, gaudy ass, gold necklaces so many black people used to love (havent really noticed it at prevalent now but who knows) to nooses and slave chains. Burberry just took it from the metaphorical to the literal.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Was there an edit to the OP? First half of the thread and second half are two different reactions

Oct 25, 2017
Small brain: It was a stupid mistake
Normal brain: It is racist
Big brain: It is promoting suicide
Galaxy brain: It is cultural appropriation of yamikawaii.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda don't understand what's going on here. I read the op and the article as well. I don't know much about the fashion world, but I know that runway stuff is basically just art right? Why can't they use noose imagery in their art? I don't know if I buy that it's trying to make suicide look cool.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
not understanding the race comments here. she is white and nooses have a long history. it's stupid and hideous, but it's not racist.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I mean death by hanging isn't an exclusive thing to black people guys...it's been going on since forever. This is more of an issue with them making light of suicide, from what I gather from the short OP no one is actually reading,
Lynching was mentioned by one of their models prior, who had her concerns dismissed. Also, what the issue is is personal. As an international brand, they should still be aware, especially when brought up directly by one of their own models.

Not sure the article focusing on suicide automatically makes others' feelings invalid either. Something can be awful for multiple reasons.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Lynching was mentioned by one of their models prior, who had her concerns dismissed. Also, what the issue is is personal. As an international brand, they should still be aware, especially when brought up directly by one of their own models.

Not sure the article focusing on suicide automatically makes others' feelings invalid either. Something can be awful for multiple reasons.

That is correct, but the "Happy Black History Month!" posts, which are the ones I quoted, just seem strange and weirdly reductive to me

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think of race when it comes to hangings. I usually think of the bible and shit cuz it's been around for that long.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
just looks like some edgy Hot Topic shit to me, i dont really have a problem with it

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bad look no matter how you slice it.

These dumbasses try to be so edgy, but then you get situations like this.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
This design must have gone through several hands before it being green lighted. Did no one AT ANY POINT realise how terrible this looks? How does this keep happening..

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nooses don't have racial connotations in the UK. It is fucked up and they should have known better, for a number of reasons, but I don't think this is at all related to lynching. The suicide connotations, 100% fucked up.

Tell me what you know about baby hairs
I mean death by hanging isn't an exclusive thing to black people guys...it's been going on since forever. This is more of an issue with them making light of suicide, from what I gather from the short OP no one is actually reading,

"Kennedy also mentioned the "horrifying history of lynching" that the noose shaped evoked, a connection that was also picked up on by critics on social media."

Read Much?

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018

"Kennedy also mentioned the "horrifying history of lynching" that the noose shaped evoked, a connection that was also picked up on by critics on social media."

Read Much?
Man cmon. I'm not sure why people are even quoting the model to begin with, she didn't design the clothes. And even in her quote, lynching was an aside to her main point about suicide.

Secondly death by hanging dates back to roman times and possibly even before that. It was a standard punishment for capital crimes like homicide. This ain't really a race issue.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man cmon. I'm not sure why people are even quoting the model to begin with, she didn't design the clothes. And even in her quote, lynching was an aside to her main point about suicide.

Secondly death by hanging dates back to roman times and possibly even before that. It was a standard punishment for capital crimes like homicide. This ain't really a race issue.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You would think that a non-white intern could have told them how fucking dumb this is/ was. But I am fully willing to believe these fucking cretins thought to themselves, "Any attention is good attention."
They did hang white people too, many more than black most likely. Just saying.

Baby hair, was trendy in 2018 in fashion already, so they might have not thought that far ahead and just copied last years style.

Personally I only knew it from black, latin or asian people.

Oct 28, 2017
hqdefaultk9jfx.jpg

Deleted member 37235

Who's more out of touch, people who have never heard of Burberry, or people who work at fucking Burberry?

Oct 27, 2017
They did hang white people too, many more than black most likely. Just saying.

Baby hair, was trendy in 2018 in fashion already, so they might have not thought that far ahead and just copied last years style.

Personally I only knew it from black, latin or asian people.

This is not only historically inaccurate, at least for Americans, but it misses the point of a lynching: to buttress White Supremecy and terrorize minorities. Unless of course she was dressed as an Ewok horse thief

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I kinda don't understand what's going on here. I read the op and the article as well. I don't know much about the fashion world, but I know that runway stuff is basically just art right? Why can't they use noose imagery in their art? I don't know if I buy that it's trying to make suicide look cool.
If it's art, then surely there can be multiple interpretations to the art and a couple of those are about suicide and lynching.