• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys do between Another Dungeon refreshes? I'm starting to do character quests, but i'm not sure if there's anything else to do after that? Leveling outside of ADs seems inefficient........

Beast King Castle is the best place atm to level outside of AD but it's nothing amazing.

There is hidden stuff like hide and seek and collecting Heart Scrap Pieces at IDA School which also gives chronos stones.

Depending on what level your team is you could start taking down the secret bosses like Goblin King, etc.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
So far I've got:

Toova 80
Laclair 72
Azami 62
(4.5*)
Mariel, Anabel, Shion 60
Lokido 59
Isuka 56

Working on getting Laclair, Azami, Lokido and Isuka leveled up, then we'll see i guess

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to get Gariyu without Suzette, Mighty, or Laclair? I just don't have enough water/wind piercing or magic DPS.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
Even after finishing the event i'll be 1 chant script from either getting Shion or Lokido to 5*................. need SOME chant script drops :(

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Even after finishing the event i'll be 1 chant script from either getting Shion or Lokido to 5*................. need SOME chant script drops :(
Wouldn't you rather use them on Azami, Gariyu, and other future free characters who can't upgrade through gacha?
I just know with my luck if I spent all those materials on a gacha character I'd get their 5* version on my next pull.

xtien

Apr 21, 2019
Any thoughts on if Nagi is worth pulling for? I don't feel like I need her since my Diedre/Toova combo does OK for earth, but the slash resistance debuff sounds nice. I'm also finding it hard to resist that octopus-hoody character design... hilarious.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on if Nagi is worth pulling for? I don't feel like I need her since my Diedre/Toova combo does OK for earth, but the slash resistance debuff sounds nice. I'm also finding it hard to resist that octopus-hoody character design... hilarious.
Her design is great but her skillset doesn't make her a must have imo. She gets an Another Style later that is pretty solid.
I'm personally gonna hold off on her and if she joins me randomly in future pulls I'll be just as happy. :)

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't you rather use them on Azami, Gariyu, and other future free characters who can't upgrade through gacha?
I just know with my luck if I spent all those materials on a gacha character I'd get their 5* version on my next pull.

Well, i already have Azami 5*. Haven't really worked on getting Gariyu yet, only did the first fight. We'll see if I can even beat the encounter with what i currently have.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Loving fishing so far. I like how it vibrates when the lure goes under so I can half pay attanetion to the game while watching something like I do grinding AD.
Did 20 pulls for funsies and got trash besides a dupe 5* Laclair, and my first instances of Lele, Krervo, and Prai.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'd thought we had an extra day because I saw May 8 on Yuna's banner (without thinking about the time on it), and despite learning yesterday didn't do a great job of doing anything about it last night.

So I spent my entire night on this and stayed up ridiculously late beyond that getting chronos, starting by finishing Tower of Stars and then farming weapons for awards from the 3 island areas (honestly I wish I'd not spent like an hour looking into what I needed to get, just going to each for a while would have been a better start), and eventually just grabbing a couple from normal Riftbreaker as I'd put off farming that to actually progress more. Also quickly did a few kill 20/100 awards I was very close to getting (mostly 20 in the new areas, or the 10-20 left to hit 100 on certain things I'd killed a lot in dungeons) to help.

Meanwhile wrapped up some character quests (Bivette 1/Miranda 1+2/Pom 2/Anabel 3/Laclaire 3) that had either been for a recently gained character or opened in the past chapter or so, with thankfully the latter 3 taking me to where I was going to farm next anyway (even if that was when I gave up on the Sands for Riftbreaker). The 5*s' quests got kinda intense, hmm. Oh, and then I realized that I'd never finished the end of that one Actuel quest chain (...ironically, about not getting sleep...) and that was a nice 50 stones from that last quest.

Then I fiiiinally started the episode at a very late time, and thanks to Lele and Prai giving some bonus too was able to do a few AD runs and hit 37.5k to even out my Chronos alongside a little fishing. That turtle boss is a jerk, but after a couple runs I realized that my active party (Laclaire/Toova/Raven/Prai) already had the buff/debuffs I throw out at the start already all on skill 3. So I can just immediately AF, hit those the first round, then spam skill 2 as normal; I think if Prai's skill 2 had been set to his attack+debuff (which I forgot he had as I don't actually use him) instead of healing, the boss would have died in that alone, but I killed him the next turn anyway. So I'm set for H, at least.

so... I just barely had 800 chronos (and so given that I did 2 singles out of desperation the other day, I kinda regret that now), and in the end...

got fucking nothing new beyond 3.5 Akane, though at least I got +4 on Miyu so she's at 16 now, and +4 on Lovinia/+1 Prai/+1 Soira isn't helpful but isn't a generic 3* who I thankfully

honestly given the circumstances: pretty demoralizing, and leaning into some of the exact kinds of behavior I didn't want to fall into and have been avoiding with Dragalia's gacha only to fall prey to it here

but at least it wasn't quite as bad the 10 pull I did the other where literally 9/10 were garbage 3*s getting +1s, so... there's that? goodbye chances of Yuna

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's fair enough. Frankly it's just frustrating to have gotten so swept up in it. I have a somewhat bad understanding of higher level mechanics, particularly as I'm not at the point of actually running VH dungeons, so I'm already just pulling due to the vague comments people make about how great she is rather than personal attachment. This is really only my second gacha game after/alongside Dragalia, and for Dragalia I have been extremely particular about how I pull because from the start I specifically didn't want to give into temptation to keep going and then feel regret. Unfortunately, it's indeed way easier to apply that to a game where I have like 300+ pulls banked and am in a very very solid place (because I've had some amazing luck lately... and a pity system to help), vs one where you have to scrounge up currency for every 10 and even I can see some of the more obvious deficiencies in my lineup (seeing as my only full 5*s are both water element and only one has element AOE). It's really much easier to deal with "eh, should I do another 10 or not? I'll have 10+ 10 summons banked still... though it'll mostly just be eldwater" compared to "time to go desperately do various things to get 1/10 of a single pull at a time... but if I get a 5* it could be gamechanging".

Rather, you'd think the latter would have an obvious red flag of the amount of effort involved, alongside just the much higher risk of feeling burned, right? But it actually taps right into a key weakness for me: I fucking love crossing things off lists in games, and easily fall into making plans to do so as well (...both of which are things I very very much wish I was better at applying so effortlessly to everyday life, haha). So that's definitely a thing I need to be way more aware of if I want to keep playing this, I guess! Sorta indicates I should just finish the story sooner rather than later, and then figure out how to run ADs in a healthy/structured manner after that alongside casual farming for awards as wanted, rather than letting myself be distracted by such goals on a whim.

...all that rambling having been said, still also suddenly realized a little earlier this morning that just running some ADs and such, as I already intended to, would get me to another 100. Just doing a few more of the new episode AD, killing the Time Layers H horror I never got around to since it was easier to just do the episode AD last night to get the next pull (I still need to farm some Layers items so this wasn't out of the way), and quickly topping off 100 kills on 2 of the episode enemies. So I did go for that for the hell of it, but I did it throughout the morning and needed just a couple more minutes to finish the last in time. I went in expecting that though, so I just pulled for Nagi banner... got 3.5 Rufus, so there's that. From now on, it's saving for a bit, I guess.

and on that note, there's so many 3.5s that I guess I'll pick and choose from to upgrade once I have more items for that stocked; I know I'll want to upgrade Mariel to 5* ASAP once I can get her tome, and will otherwise mainly upgrade the chance characters for the time being, so I feel ok with giving extra murmur/prayer to some 4*s that are worth it...

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You have Mighty though, right? deepFlaw

My only full 5*s are Laclair and Anabel. 4.5s are Toova, Mariel, Suzette, and Mighty.

Obviously 4.5s are still quite good and I'm very glad to have them to begin with, but I'm more just worried for starting VH dungeons soon. For the mages in particular they seem to only have S AOEs till they're 5* and suddenly get XL, while natural 4*s at least get M AOES. So 5* wise, Laclair has an M water piercing and Anabel has an L slash, the former of which has been very good while the latter is mainly for the 20% int debuff (the animation takes too long to really use beyond that tbh), but I don't know how much those will keep up beyond the extra stats helping?

I do seem to have most of the 4* mages though, so they'll be able to help out with that; Raven's good for this episode and Sevyn was thankfully good for IDA, hmm.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
Are the rewards for fishing just, stones?

Need to wait until tomorrow maybe before I can continue with this new episode, can't get enough pearls right now since I'm out of hard AD tickets and can't do the VH ones until I finish this chapter.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The 5* seems far away. Is it predetermined or random?
Predetermined. You need to nearly max your rod level, then fish up four rare fish that are level 80 horrors you have to defeat. If you beat all four you can then challenge Leviathan, and beating him will net you Levia.
She's worth it, though. Basically a free Mighty. Stronger DPS wise due to an INT buff skill she has but without as much support skills as he has.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
The long grind begins. Leveling up fishing seems to be pretty slow going. It'll keep me occupied in between ADs at least

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
After a drought of 4.5-5* characters in my last several pulls, I finally got 4* Mighty. Better than nothing, but grinding tomes and scripts is going to drive me mad.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to do a 20 pull since i had the Chrono stones for it, pulled a 5* Mighty as my 20th.......... phew!

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
There is a second currency in the newest side story that is obtained from the VH version of its Another Dungeon.

They are called Black Pearls and show up as the same sparkles like any other material you'd gather in normal areas.

You need 50 for all the rewards, but you are limited in how many you get per stage which is determined by how many turtles you see stacked on top of each other at the beginning of the dungeon.

One of the rewards is a Chant Script meaning we can get up to 4 total if you include the normal pearl rewards.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really good pull today.
Lingli upgraded to 4*, Mariel upgraded to 5*, Lokido 4* dupe, Krervo upgraded to 4*, and I got Ruina 3* so I can finally finish IDA School without feeling like I'm wasting my time with a tiny multiplier.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
What's the locations for the flame eater (Gariyu encounter)? I've done the first two (Zol plain and Lake tiilen) but can't find it anymore.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What's the locations for the flame eater (Gariyu encounter)? I've done the first two (Zol plain and Lake tiilen) but can't find it anymore.
Zol Plain
Lake Tillen
Derismo Highland
Nadara Volcano (At the very end. Of the world map version, not the Another Dungeon)
Xeno Domain (World Map version, at the end)
Back to Zol Plain

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So my phone's broken but I've kept my save going on an emulator.

It's sorta frustrating to deal with, as I liked being able to do ADs on my commute and such, and this kills that. I actually tried to spend time setting up macros to help... but they'd fuck up moving vertically through the dungeons and such, so I wasted a ton of time on trying to get it working for nothing (on H Ruins, of all things) when I can at least rush through each in a few minutes myself, so that was unfortunate. I did uhhhh totally successfully use macros to farm some stuff, though, like 100 sand worms and their rare drop. It feels like "cheating" but it's far better for my mental health than churning through that many fights myself...

The worst part is that when my phone broke I fiiiinally had gotten to right before the last story dungeon, but hadn't done any of it yet. And the emulator's performance is iffy enough that I've not wanted to see the end of the story on it, and the phone I'm using now is unreliable enough that I don't want to go through the process of trying to get my save onto it just to see. So I still only have VH access to the episode ADs, which I've now finished all of, so it's just Jade farming shadow with my red keys still... I'm probably gonna give in and see the end within the next couple days, hmm.

Oh, and I sorta miss fishing. I'd just gained enough money to start doing it again, and it's not really a thing I can do casually like this...

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
So a friend just recommended this to me. How is this game? Read through a few posts and there seems to be conflicting opinions on the story.

1. Is the story good?
2. How much grinding is needed? Both to complete the main story, and to clear the hardest stuff.
3. Since rolls are limited, how badly off will someone be if he builds a team around the character he likes (within reasonable limits) instead of adhering to a tier list?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
1. Is the story good?
2. How much grinding is needed? Both to complete the main story, and to clear the hardest stuff.
3. Since rolls are limited, how badly off will someone be if he builds a team around the character he likes (within
1) Yes
2) Lots. "Postgame" is 85% just grinding.
3) The trash fodder characters are useless, but the 4* characters are all in the range of usable-good. A single 5* character will make your life dramatically easier. The entire story can be beaten with just the freebie characters, though obviously gacha characters will make it easier as well as provide new story content.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say postgame is "farming" rather than just "grinding", no? Not that I'm exactly in it yet...

How much grinding you need to do for the story is also a matter of how much you focus on the story. Which is to say, I've taken months while lately actually consistently keeping up with the side stuff, so my teams were (and kinda still are for the small bit I have left to do) very overpowered/overquipped for finishing the story, hah.

Also, for the story itself (at least what's out- I hear it gets pretty hard later) you aren't super limited in who you use. Beyond that, I wouldn't say building a team is distinctly a tier issue as much as having access to certain elements and stronger skills in those elements, since you want to focus on enemy weaknesses. And then 5* have a level cap of 80 while 4* stop at 60, so... while they can be very good, they're inherently worse off in that way too. But I do think natural 4*s can kinda outshine a 5* that you pulled as a 4* (sometimes called 4.5; they have the 60 level cap and lack the 5* skill page, and can be upgraded to their normal 5* status by rare items or also pulling the 5* version). As it seems that it's usually the case that the 5* only have weaker skills early on and then suddenly get much much stronger skills in their 5* skill page, vs natural 4*s at least getting pretty good skills on their 4* page.

Oct 25, 2017
So a friend just recommended this to me. How is this game? Read through a few posts and there seems to be conflicting opinions on the story.

1. Is the story good?
3. Since rolls are limited, how badly off will someone be if he builds a team around the character he likes (within reasonable limits) instead of adhering to a tier list?

From what I've played, the main story is primarily notable for the number of setting and plot beats that are hilariously blatant rip-offs of Chrono Trigger. Otherwise, it's too perfunctory for me to call it good. The side quest chains tend to have more interesting stories, actually, somewhat akin to Dragon Quest vignettes. This still isn't a game I'd consider worth playing from a story perspective, though for a mobile time-waster with a little bit of story to it I'm sure you could do worse.

One thing that's notable about the game balance is that the stereotypical JRPG gap between the difficulty of normal enemies and the difficulty of bosses is present in a particularly acute form. You'll almost certainly slam into a roadblock on one or several bosses and have to go grinding to beat them. Also, while leveling characters is a fairly simple process, buying better weapons and armor requires an extreme amount of farming for monster drops.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, for weapons I've found that mostly farming is for collecting weaker ones, at least during the story. Unless you're rushing through, you'll be able to do ADs that give materials for better weapons without too much trouble. Often I've found that I can pretty much get a full set of weapons after only a few AD runs in that dungeon, vs the regular dungeon sets that can indeed be weirdly harder to farm.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
Beat level 70 flame eater today, I'll try the level 80 encounter tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be able to beat it with my current line up..... We'll see I guess!

Also the otherrealm stuff is tough with a 4.5* Mariel, sometimes she just gets one shot.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Mhmm, as always this game just invites gacha disappointment for me. I really should save for future banners but I had 2k stocked up and gave into temptation, throwing a 10 each at Toova and Mighty in the hopes of at least maybe upgrading them.

...instead I got almost entirely junk and, well, 2 more 4.5s. But the 4.5s were Anabel and Laclair... the exact 2 5*s I have that are actually 5*s. I guess it's not exactly a bad thing for them to each have 20 light now, but it certainly wasn't what I was hoping for.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna actually finish the story, despite the emulator issues, like I said I would. Meant to do it these past few days but my life's been messy so I still haven't. Would really like to get into the land of proper VHs since Jade's already at 22 shadow thanks to this...

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so frustrated with the level 80 flame eater battle. My 5*s are Toova, Lokido, Shion, Mariel, Mighty and Azami, and I'm convinced I need Isuka or Suzette for their piercing AOE.

havokex

Oct 26, 2017
Well, i got the Heirophant tome and decided to just 5* Mariel instead of waiting to get 5* Gariyu, hopefully with 5* Mariel i'll be able to beat level 80 flame eater

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done making the new sword and katana from Otherlands.

Haven't had much luck with the rare monster appearances though for upgrading.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
New Another Dungeon feature in this week's update as well as a Healer focus banner.
Mariel, Pom, Krervo, and Prai focus.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they are gonna start putting side stories at the end of the month.

Next update is the last Chance Encounter which is Cerrine which also has the Cetie/Yazuki banner.

So they most likely swapped places with the Melina banner.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my phone replaced, so the game's back on there. I do miss my AOE spam macros, but oh my god does it ever move so much faster. I'd vastly underestimated how much faster it was. It's so much easier to rush through ADs now, bless.

Finally went and fought the last boss and got my VH AD access with it. Have been running VH Moonlight without much trouble and already got 9 mats from the Horrors to build one of everything that uses them to start with; I did Ruins once and was similarly fine, but my team for that is just a few light short of 60. I'm hoping H Ruins will get Amy's light up enough soon that I'll hit that, but... I ran that as my Hard dungeon the entire time it was on the emulator (only H thing I have left to do is some more mats from Tower of Stars for the level 60 necklace from it) and she's barely gotten any, so I might just skip to running VH Volcano for now while I keep doing that. I'm hoping to get Azami's tome from Moonlight first (I already got 2 of Lokido's, when I don't have him), but better equipment might be worth jumping ahead.

And on that note, once I beat the game I also went and fought Azami's last 2 fights. I was... kinda overpowered? I'd built her up as something imposing to wait for, but I read up on her attacks and made a strategy and... she got through one full cycle and then I'd go AF and, well, 1 million damage later she was done.

Now... I'm just not sure if i should give into more temptation and do a 10 for Mariel's banner. I have her as a 4* and am willing to use chants on her, but it'll be a while before I'll even try doing VH Riftbreaker for her tome and it'd probably be helpful to have her as a 5* before then. Getting dupes of the 4* healers I probably won't ever use beyond specific fights is scaring me away, though, and I could always stand to actually save up...

and also, I need to figure out what the hell I was doing in fishing; I have a ton of money to spend on bait now and I haven't done it in weeks thanks to the emulator...