• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think we'll see a Direct until January. It's too short to announce the start of Nintendo Switch Online services at the beginning of the year so they may as well wait
Shouldn't they have released something on the main part of the Zelda DLC by now?
Watch the game awards on 12/7. That's when they'll probably release a trailer with the dlc coming soon, if not immediately after. They won't do any promotions for it until after Xenoblade 2 has launched

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not in May, November, and technically not in August (Rabbids is a big game, but not first party). January seems like a safe month for a temporary lull in first party output, but we'll see what happens. I could very much end up being wrong.

Agreed. Honestly January is a dead month across the board for most forms of entertainment and other things.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I think it'll have to show up before January. Nintendo has yet to announce the big game of January, so I figure they'll drop that info sooner rather than later. January Direct would be too late, unless they won't have a January game and will start the monthly game rollout in February.
January won't be in need of a major Nintendo published title. There will be plenty of other software hitting to keep the appetites of Switch owners satisfied while they wait for the next main course to be served from Nintendo and third-party partners.

With The Game Awards taking place in December and Xenoblade 2 releasing at the start of the month, the is no need for a Direct in December. Nintendo and TGA have a friendly relationship, so I anticipate something from Nintendo to be shown there - my guess would be the Zelda DLC release date and new trailer.

January is the perfect time to show folks what is to come in 2018 and get them excited for the new year of Switch software. December is best left to Xenoblade 2, TGA, and allowing people to enjoy the software platter served to them in 2017.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
Besides, January is when Monster Hunter World and FighterZ come out too, no need to hassle with that for now.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
January won't be in need of a major Nintendo published title. There will be plenty of other software hitting to keep the appetites of Switch owners satisfied while they wait for the next main course to be served from Nintendo and third-party partners.

With The Game Awards taking place in December and Xenoblade 2 releasing at the start of the month, the is no need for a Direct in December. Nintendo and TGA have a friendly relationship, so I anticipate something from Nintendo to be shown there - my guess would be the Zelda DLC release date and new trailer.

January is the perfect time to show folks what is to come in 2018 and get them excited for the new year of Switch software. December is best left to Xenoblade 2, TGA, and allowing people to enjoy the software platter served to them in 2017.

Are the The Game Awards really a thing for them? I just don't see it. It would make more sense for them to direct their own message to get hyped for something in January to keep the train rolling. I imagine they've had this whole thing laid out since March and will carry it out until the end of the fiscal year. We'll see, I guess, but I don't think they'll let January roll by without something big that month, even if it's a third party title.

Not in May, November, and technically not in August (Rabbids is a big game, but not first party). January seems like a safe month for a temporary lull in first party output, but we'll see what happens. I could very much end up being wrong.

May and November were reserved for big third party games. I imagine January will be the same. Those game can help fill in gaps, and we don't know what third party game will get the headline that month, because I feel like there HAS to be something.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
December - January don't care just show me Pikmin 4!

tumblr_mqq3odY0Gk1s4kvlvo1_500.gif

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This obviously means. I still think there will be a direct in January. It's a great time to get people excited for what's coming for the rest of the year (but mainly to show off the games in the first half of the year).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are the The Game Awards really a thing for them? I just don't see it. It would make more sense for them to direct their own message to get hyped for something in January to keep the train rolling. I imagine they've had this whole thing laid out since March and will carry it out until the end of the fiscal year. We'll see, I guess, but I don't think they'll let January roll by without something big that month, even if it's a third party title.
Yes. BotW had it's first gameplay reveal there and had a big trailer there last year, so it follows that the final trailer will also premiere there especially since it is likely to pick up a couple awards. Nintendo has always had something to show there since at least 2014. Reggie goes every year and Koji Kondo played there with Imagine Dragons in 2014. It's free publicity that reaches a different, wider audience than the directs albeit with some less control. No reason to press January given consumer spending habits and they will still have stuff for Splatoon, Arms, and their mobile titles to keep users engaged

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
They have done big directs in the past in December, just as often as in January in fact. I've been saying we'll get one mid December for months now and this showing up now certainly seems to suggest it'll be sooner rather then later.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
The first ever Zelda: BotW gameplay demo was shown at TGA 2014. They honored Iwata at TGA. Cranky Kong for DK:TF was at VGX - the same thing as the VGA but different name that year. Nintendo always has something at TGA.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. BotW had it's first gameplay reveal there and had a big trailer there last year, so it follows that the final trailer will also premiere there especially since it is likely to pick up a couple awards. Nintendo has always had something to show there since at least 2014.

I guess we'll see. Personally, I don't expect them to make any real announcements at that event.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
The first ever Zelda: BotW gameplay demo was shown at TGA 2014. They honored Iwata at TGA. Cranky Kong for DK:TF was at VGX - the same thing as the VGA but different name that year. Nintendo always has something at TGA.

I don't consider any of those things major game announcements. Honoring Iwata there makes sense considering the venue. However, we're talking about announcing something major, and I don't see that happening at The Game Awards. I don't want this to come across as they won't announce anything there, but I imagine it'll be to show more of something that's been announced already. Would they really announce something like GTA on the NS at the Game Awards? I just don't see it.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I don't consider any of those things major game announcements. Honoring Iwata there makes sense considering the venue. However, we're talking about announcing something major, and I don't see that happening at The Game Awards. I don't want this to come across as they won't announce anything there, but I imagine it'll be to show more of something that's been announced already. Would they really announce something like GTA on the NS at the Game Awards? I just don't see it.
Of course not. No one is saying they would announce such a thing at TGA, but they also wouldn't announce a game of that magnitude in a Direct in December when they want focus on Xenoblade 2 and the likelihood of the Zelda DLC being dated at TGA along with a final trailer showcasing the new content. January frees them up to show stuff for 2018 without overshadowing any late releases in 2017.

Aside from a XBC2 dedicated Direct, there is no reason to host a Direct in December.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Week before Christmas. Probably before the 21st.

Mostly small game announcements for Switch and 3DS, maybe a bigger Switch one for Q1 and something involving the Switch OS that will drop on Christmas Day, like themes. Zelda DLC will be shown off at TGA.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
January direct 2017 was pretty much when they laid the groundwork for a lot of the year, at least starting with Zelda right?
I'm crossing my fingers that this is another January Direct that sets the first big goalpost for the year. It could be Pokemon Switch, Metroid or something we've not even heard of yet.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Well, supposedly Zelda DLC is still coming this year, I could see a small Zelda DLC focused direct while they save the big Direct for January.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. No one is saying they would announce such a thing at TGA, but they also wouldn't announce a game of that magnitude in a Direct in December when they want focus on Xenoblade 2 and the likelihood of the Zelda DLC being dated at TGA along with a final trailer showcasing the new content. January frees them up to show stuff for 2018 without overshadowing any late releases in 2017.

Aside from a XBC2 dedicated Direct, there is no reason to host a Direct in December.

Xenoblade Cronicles 2 comes out next week. Holding a Direct the week after wouldn't be a bad idea if they wanted to talk about what's coming in January (which I still feel like it's something they want to have a big enough game in). Waiting until January to talk about the game coming out in January doesn't make sense as it doesn't give the game enough time to have any real hype behind it. They may very well announce a the Zelda DLC date at the Game Awards as that makes sense, but still I figure they'll have something to say in December. Xenoblade 2 will be out and folks looking for the next game will have to wait more than a month to find out what's coming next if they do it in January. Those who don't care about Xenoblade at all (as it's an RPG that already has somewhat limited appeal) will be waiting even longer for something that may interest them. So hyping things up for next year makes sense in early/mid December.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
One thing about announcing the Zelda DLC at TGA is that Nintendo can show off the unlockable Geoff Keighley outfit they've been working on without it being too weird.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
If we do get another direct this month or December I'd be thinking it would be a indie Direct or a small one, the next big main Direct will likely be January with tons of 2018 games and maybe a few 2019 game teases.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fabulous gif.

As for the direct - probably Zelda DLC and... I have no clue. If it's the january direct, then I'd expect FE Switch etc.

Maybe they announce Retro's game or something at the game awards, followed by a more in-depth direct or a general direct headlined by it.

EDIT:
15 min direct to reveal the Switch online service's launch date and all that it entails please.

Man, yeah, I've forgotten what a mess that still is. They need to announce system improvements stat.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing about announcing the Zelda DLC at TGA is that Nintendo can show off the unlockable Geoff Keighley outfit they've been working without it being too weird.
Don't forget about everyone's favorite Zelda villain, Schick Hydrobot! I hear the Sheikah designed him as an autonomous electric razor but he became sentient and took over Hyrule and that Link has to defeat him so that he can grow out his beard

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There probably won't be a big game in January. The Switch isn't going to have a big first party game every month.

They will next year.

As for this year I also expect January to have nothing and wouldn't be surprised if they cleared one additional month only for a big third party, like they did with Minecraft and Skyrim this year.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Xenoblade Cronicles 2 comes out next week. Holding a Direct the week after wouldn't be a bad idea if they wanted to talk about what's coming in January (which I still feel like it's something they want to have a big enough game in). Waiting until January to talk about the game coming out in January doesn't make sense as it doesn't give the game enough time to have any real hype behind it. They may very well announce a the Zelda DLC date at the Game Awards as that makes sense, but still I figure they'll have something to say in December. Xenoblade 2 will be out and folks looking for the next game will have to wait more than a month to find out what's coming next if they do it in January. Those who don't care about Xenoblade at all (as it's an RPG that already has somewhat limited appeal) will be waiting even longer for something that may interest them. So hyping things up for next year makes sense in early/mid December.

Xenoblade 2 is releasing next week. TGA is the following week. If they want to excite people in January with a new release, they could easily announce a Deluxe version of a Wii U game at TGA and release the game 5 weeks later.

I don't see a Direct of significance taking place this year. I suppose we'll see, but I'd put all my chips on January.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, banking hard on a January Direct while Zelda DLC shows up at TGA. Nintendo's 2017 is well rounded and the holiday season tends to focus on marketing existing software during the busiest period of the year. January is a nice release schedule exhale, and a strong foundation to show what 2018 has in store. Especially since with the Switch Nintendo has so far been pretty candid with their release schedule, and decently quick turnaround time between announcement and release. We've had the 2017 Switch Direct, and they followed through.

Wouldn't say no to some Prime 4...

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Stop saying January, people! As someone who is uninterested in Xeno 2 that would mean whole 2 months of no gaming for me and I don't want it.

December for direct and Januray for Kirby Star Allies release is the best bet.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if a Direct drops next week. You got Xenoblade 2, Nintendo Switch Online, Zelda DLC, announcing more SNES Classic stock, and other minor titles and announcements (Way of the sushi, Nindies, possible Wolfenstein release date, etc.)

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Nintendo Direct broadcasts both in December and January, though personally I think one in January could work well due to a new Corporate Management Policy Briefing being quite likely in early February. They tend to have one CMPB each fiscal year and there has been no such meeting for FY 2017 yet. A Nintendo Direct featuring major announcements regarding products and services (especially those with direct costs, such as Nintendo Online) for FY 2018 and beyond with additional details revealed at the CMPB I believe could drive investor engagement well.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Oh god yes, January direct is gonna be filled to the brim. I really feel it, Switch has been a monstrous succes lately. Shit will go down, I promise you.

Oct 26, 2017
We've had December directs before, like in 2013 when Hyrule Warriors was unveiled for Wii U. Also in 2012 when we got a look at Pikmin 3.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm interesting.

Either it's a small direct for Zelda and releases through February or it's the big January direct.

They have to announce a February game soon or the earliest game from them next will be in March.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I just really can't see a January Direct being a repeat of the system's opening announcement.

The game we know by far the most about, Kirby, isn't coming out until at least April. And that's being highly optimistic of me, last time Nintendo announced a game for "Spring" it was late June by the time it came out. This is the game we know the most about. Kirby Star Allies. No, it's not coming out in January or February. They said Spring. It's not going to be out in winter. Kirby is a spring release.

We know of two other games that will for sure make the year, Fire Emblem and Yoshi. The former we've seen nothing of, the latter very little. These will both be treated as headliners for the next several months. People will get upset at this, shouting in fury at how Smash and Animal Crossing aren't announced.

Those will show up at E3. After six months of building negativity. Announced for 2019.

In the meanwhile, the Directs will mostly be the three games we know about, and new IPs. Lots of new IPs. Very casual new IPs. Less ARMS, more 1-2-Switch. Everyone will be frothing at how Nintendo wasted their development time on these games instead of -real- games.

They might sell very well despite it all, though. Or they could flop. The core gaming crowd will be rooting for them to flop because anything that isn't for them is against them or something. But they'll be upset whether they flop or not.

. . .Basically overhype is going to end in a crash. I can't see the next Direct ending too well when most people already have higher expectations than what we've had specifically told to us.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah if this is about anything it'll be outlining their plans for their online sub service, not much else.If they end up delaying the deployment of the online sub again though I could see them saving it maybe for the launch of something like a Smash 4 Switch or a major Splatoon 2 content update or some other multiplayer focused IP

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi's Flipside
Fire Emblem Boots Polishing Simulator 2018
Pikmin Zero
Animal Crossing: Thug Lyfe
Bayonetta x Devil May Cry
Detective Pearl: Who Killed Marina?
Donkey Kong 64-II
Diddy Kong Racing: Second Banana
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch

Also a firmware update that activates cooling components in the joycons to create ice cubes, finally making good on Koizumi's original vision.