• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For those unaware, Hitman 3 kicked off it's "Year 2 celebration" with a massive patch, the introduction of VR support to the PC version of the game, a Steam launch and by making the trilogy available via Game Pass. Unfortunately, things haven't gotten off to the best start…

From the busted VR mode implementation (that also doesn't support the HP Reverb G2):
Though you can finally move Agent 47's hands freely, Hitman 3's PC VR support very much uses the DualShock 4 controls and PSVR tracking as a foundation, and the control scheme remains largely the same. That means you can't hold two items at once, for example, and the game's not designed to encourage you to physically rotate yourself to move around environments. You can still turn around yourself, but whenever the camera cuts to a virtual screen, it'll be wherever you first started looking (though recentering the camera is just a button press away).

47's body, meanwhile, seems to twist and contort to where you face unless you use stick turning, and his avatar, in general, can be very distracting. Playing with Oculus Touch controllers, his hands also seemed to be lower than where I was holding them and this made aiming weapons really tough. The two-handed support also only means that your off-hand will grip larger weapons in a sort of magnetic fashion, automatically sticking to the grip when you move it near, which feels strange.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the VR right now, though, are the bugs. Specifically, I was unable to hold some items like a camera or knife in my hand without it going completely berserk. My hand would either completely disappear or shoot in and out of view, making some items impossible to use. The same happens to NPCs when you strangle them – they essentially start to zap in and out of existence from random angles before vanishing into thin air. There were also times the item menu button didn't appear to work, leaving me stranded in a tight spot.
Source: UploadVR

To the multiple editions available on Steam, all of which are full retail price despite the game arriving a year after its debut on the Epic Games Store:

To the wild regional pricing:

To the heaps of issues with the new "Elusive Targets Arcade" mode.

Of course, where there are issues, there is backlash, and the Steam page was soon inundated with negative reviews. The game currently sits with a "Mixed" reception after recovering from an outwardly negative reception earlier today. In addition, Reddit's r/HiTMAN subreddit saw an influx of negative posts and toxicity…

Apparently, this led to bad actors threatening and hacking a moderator who removed some posts. In response, the subreddit is currently locked down and unavailable to view or post to as of Friday, January 21st.

Unfortunately, we've recently seen an increase in incidents like these. Earlier this month, the Battlefield 2042 subreddit was under threat of lockdown due to an influx of toxic posts. Last month, the Halo subreddit locked down after the community backlash to the game's microtransactions became overwhelming. This is yet another case where things seem to have reached a tipping point with a game's community in response to a poor or troubled launch.

How can this behavior be curbed? The standard for discourse on the internet has always been absurdly low outside of highly curated bubbles, but when things get so vicious that discussion forums must be shut down entirely until the community can simmer down and bad actors can be dealt with, things have certainly gone too far.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Since large subreddits are an avenue for free promotion and visibility for a game, maybe it could help if the associated game studio offers to hire extra moderators for at least the busier periods and then later pass it on to be maintained by community only again. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"Hitman is on Epic? lol bomba its real release date will be when it hits Steam in a year"
*game releases on Steam a year later at the 'release date' price*
"HOW COULD THEY CHARGE THE NEW RELEASE PRICE ITS BEEN OUT FOR A YEAR"

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Bronson let's say has some issues with Era to say the least.
It does feel a bit weird to list Era right beside Reddit, as if the two places were anywhere near each other in reach and influence. Even a minor subreddit like that Hitman one will probably have many times more views than any one thread on the issue on Era. This place is a tiny, tiny niche.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
People in here were calling them cunts, dicks or assholes as if they were being forced to buy their game, when they could easily just ignore IOI and their entire library for the rest of their life if they're that angry.

I don't know, man, I don't go into stores IRL to scream at people because I hate their prices or their policies. The fact people feel entitled to call others vile shit online is really odd behavior, but whatever, I don't comment in EGS threads anymore because it all clearly flies over my head and the toxicity is just too much for me.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Why can't people just look at the price, decide that its not for them and just move on?

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
It's a weird flex to rage that a game you want is too expensive. Just wait for a sale or save up some extra money. Comes across spoilt child with that attitude.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Probably worth adding to OP that the new game mode is broken as hell and is locking people out for no reason.

Bit of a disaster really. I'm disappointed as anyone else, but there's no need for that kind of behaviour.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I know that Bronson has had his time with Era. Heck I remember when he used to post here.

...but was Era raging against the Hitman choices as bad as Reddit was? I don't think I was around for those threads since I don't really have an interest in Hitman.

EDIT: Ah I think he was talking about attacking mods in specific instead of the game itself.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
I mean, from what I've seen the new game mode is pretty disappointing and the new update introduced a couple of bugs. There's many things IO did wrong here and I feel like there should be some kind of (constructive) backlash, but like always the community is going too far in some places

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't there something about how IOI decided to jack up the price or something like that?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I know that Bronson has had his time with Era. Heck I remember when he used to post here.

...but was Era raging against the Hitman choices as bad as Reddit was? I don't think I was around for those threads since I don't really have an interest in Hitman.

EDIT: Ah I think he was talking about attacking mods in specific instead of the game itself.
the Hitman threads here yesterday were awful at the very least.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It does feel a bit weird to list Era right beside Reddit, as if the two places were anywhere near each other in reach and influence. Even a minor subreddit like that Hitman one will probably have many times more views than any one thread on the issue on Era. This place is a tiny, tiny niche.
It's a "write what you know" thing. He's talking about the pattern where a minority of users harass mods, and he's a former Era mod, so of course his first thought would be his own experiences.

Oct 25, 2017
You should also note that Hitman 3 servers were having trouble handling the traffic so people were very negative about that as well. That is a big downside of having a single player game be reliant on online servers.

It sucks to see people get abusive. Borderlands 3 and Control have set an expectation where formerly Epic Store exclusive games get a discount or a cheaper price point on the Steam release. I'm in the position where I have a lot of games to play for the next two months so I can (and will) wait for a sale on this.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
People in general are just crazy pent up and angry right now and looking for ways to channel that out.

Happens on Era all the time too, but moreso on Etc.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Currently way more disappointed in the Hitman community than IOI to be honest. Even on Era I've seen some awfully childish tantrums and vulgar comments aimed at IOI.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Reddit communities are such hot garbage.
Subreddits have always been pretty toxic, but still informational and had some value. It feels like things have spiraled ever since the Battlefront stuff, then Pokémon Sword and Shield, now with Halo and Battlefield. I notice a lot of subreddits tend to have people claiming it's the opposite where no criticism is allowed and it causes this weird us vs them struggle with mods…all of it is just nasty.

Criticism is totally fine but these large communities always devolve into negative echo chambers that are more and more emboldened because publishers and developers do monitor them and try to be active. We might be reaching the tipping point though where that won't be the case anymore.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Steam forums weren't mentioned, top thread at the moment:

ARDmfiM.jpeg

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
the Hitman threads here yesterday were awful at the very least.
Even I can admit that I was fine with Steam review bombing (I said as much in the Y2 thread, though of course I'm only talking about legitimate negative reviews designed to bring attention to issues players are having) but I was seeing some other reactions in Hitman threads that were… not great.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You should also note that Hitman 3 servers were having trouble handling the traffic so people were very negative about that as well. That is a big downside of having a single player game be reliant on online servers.

It sucks to see people get abusive. Borderlands 3 and Control have set an expectation where formerly Epic Store exclusive games get a discount or a cheaper price point on the Steam release. I'm in the position where I have a lot of games to play for the next two months so I can (and will) wait for a sale on this.

Yes but it's not only that I think. It's also the fact that the game was discounted on both Epic Store and Humble Store. To go even further, only the Epic Store keys were discounted on Humble Store, which is a weird distinction to do.

That and the regional pricing getting more expensive it seems ?

Why can't people criticize pricing decisions?

Because it's """toxic""".
But yeah, people should be able to voice concern about price raises or abusive prices. Criticism isn't toxicity. The way you articulate said criticism though...

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played any Hitman ever.

The last important news that stood out to me was the fact that IO had successfully secured the rights to the IP, is that still accurate?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Still, it's nice to know gamers around the world will now reflect on these events, realize how immature and spiteful they're being, and that when FF7R releases on Steam at launch price anyone not happy paying that price will simply wait for a sale and not resort to Internet rage and targeted abuse.

... I hate what anonymity and social media does to people =/ Far too common for people to get swept up in minor issues and act like the world is ending.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
You know for a group that loves to throw the term snowflake around, they sure do seem to get upset about a lot of things.

Tayls

Oct 27, 2017
In some regions people are pissed because IOI doubled or even trippled price for steam release.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This one confused me because people were expecting the game to launch at $20 on steam.
People just wanted a significant discount due to 1 year of EGS exclusivity of the same game released a year later..They also priced the trilogy pack horribly and not good regional pricing as well..

But regardless of this.. Abusive behavior towards the dev is something that shouldn't be acceptable. Complain about it and give feedback everywhere you think it can make a change but don't start shouting, cussing at the devs..

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. The Reddit users are posting negative comments about the game and the mods find this disagreeable, because I suppose the subreddits exists as publicity for the games? Why exactly weren't they allowed to complain about the game?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. The Reddit users are posting negative comments about the game and the mods find this disagreeable, because I suppose the subreddits exists as publicity for the games?

No, it's not the negativity about the game but that users started harassing the moderators for some reason. I'm guessing the negativity brewed up some especially toxic posts, which got actioned by mods and then users started turning on them.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. The Reddit users are posting negative comments about the game and the mods find this disagreeable, because I suppose the subreddits exists as publicity for the games? Why exactly weren't they allowed to complain about the game?

The issue is where the users were harassing the mods over it.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it is a case of weighing up how important engagement actually is (or if it damages you more). I feel like we may be entering an era where engaging with the community less may by viewed as advantageous. I have seen a lot of situations where a company keeping their mouth shut would have been the better option.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I'm beyond disappointed with the pricing, especially because it doesn't have regional pricing in my country. They jacked up regional prices on EGS as well. I'm voting with my wallet by not buying it, even though I have hundreds of hours in Hitman 1 and 2.

Expressing your disappointment in a studio you have been supporting for a long time should still be allowed though, but not in the way this Reddit sub is doing.

Harassing mods or IOI developers is fucking pathetic.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is where the users were harassing the mods over it.
I noticed that in the mods message in the tweet they explicitly said that their decision to lock the subreddit was not about the negative comments, but the mod getting hacked. But the "pattern"described in the OP (with Battlefield and Halo) is just there's a lot of negative comments about the game, so the subreddit had to be locked which didn't seem like an actual issue to me. But yeah the mod getting his account deleted certainly is for sure.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I've never been able to understand people who behave like this.
Sure I've been disappointed in stuff, who hasn't, but at the most I'll just say that I'm disappointed and hope things get improved and leave it at that. Why be a toxic asshole? What good comes out of that? It's scary how people can be so cruel and inconsiderate of others.
I just don't understand it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Still, it's nice to know gamers around the world will now reflect on these events, realize how immature and spiteful they're being, and that when FF7R releases on Steam at launch price anyone not happy paying that price will simply wait for a sale and not resort to Internet rage and targeted abuse.

... I hate what anonymity and social media does to people =/ Far too common for people to get swept up in minor issues and act like the world is ending.

You can drop the anonymity part and just say social media lol. It's been proven time and again that not being anonymous doesn't stop people from doing stuff like this and far worse. That old Penny Arcade comic is way outdated for the 2020s

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I had a frustrating experience with this game in VR last night. Hope that it's improved upon

Status
Not open for further replies.