• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Another scene got linked and turns out it's of one of the most devastating scenes in the game. That occurs around the midpoint. VERY heavy spoiler for the conclusion of a specific storyline for anyone trying to go in blind.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a good scene. Fucked me up back in the day.

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
even with terrible compression the visual upgrades are quite stark and apparent (specifically the upgraded lighting). and man, those facial animations...

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh no that scene :(

That was such a heartbreaking moment. I don't know what I would have done at that point.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Poor Henry and Sam :(

The fact it's less than 5 minutes after some light morning banter between Joel and Henry and this happens is heartbreaking. The actors nailed it. Keeping the performances and giving them more fidelity is the right choice.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
They did. They reworked their facial animation system to finally be able to portray the original mocap. No new facial capture was done.
They didn't do facial capture for the first one(TLOU1 faces were hand animated as their mocap system didn't have face capture tech yet) but they recorded their mocap sessions and are presumably hand animating the faces to better match the performances.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
From what I remembered of the original PS3/remastered PS4 versions, you don't actually see the end of the scene as it was focused on Joel's face, but you hear it before the fade to black. Still, it's going to be gut wrenching to play it again in a few weeks.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I always found the editing (the VERY fast and abrupt cut to black) to be super effective here. Such a gut punch

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, didn't they do face capture for the original though?
No. ND didn't invest in using facial capture until UC4. It was all keyframed, (aka done entirely by hand), based on video reference from the motion capture stage. They attempted to do the same with 4 but presumably realized that their new and improved rigs were way too complex for that to be a good idea. With this remake, and generally way better rigs than the original, they were able to more closely match the performances by reusing the animation data from the original and improving it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
No. ND didn't invest in using facial capture until UC4. It was all keyframed, (aka done entirely by hand), based on video reference from the motion capture stage. They attempted to do the same with 4 but presumably realized that their new and improved rigs were way too complex for that to be a good idea. With this remake, and generally way better rigs than the original, they were able to more closely match the performances by reusing the animation data from the original and improving it.
I thought that they had capture data as well as the video reference and opted to hand animate because the rigs didn't work well with the data

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that they had capture data as well as the video reference and opted to hand animate because the rigs didn't work well with the data
Nah. Video reference is just that. Video. The only things recorded on set were body and voice.

If developers could just record facial capture data that easily there wouldn't be any need for markers, head cameras, and them being in the record stating for UC4 they hired new staff that specialized in full performance capture. If anything they were quite very literally a full decade late to the full performance capture setup party and that was a creative choice they made throughout the PS3 generation despite other developers increasingly investing in capturing everything all at once. That being face, body, VO.

Last edited:

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

Ah that makes sense, I got confused because I remember seeing behind the scenes videos where the actors had these cameras pointed at their faces that looked very similar to face capture rigs, but it was actually just capturing the reference.

edit: Actually I'm remembering wrong, they didn't have any face rigs at all in the first game behind the scenes

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Man, at some point, ND is really going to have to clamp down on whoever this leaker is. I'm sure they're getting sick of stuff coming out.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe it's me, maybe it's the bad compression, but it took until a close-up of Henry before I knew this was the remake. Pretty disappointing. Part II looks way better.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The room they're in looks sparse. I'm sure it's similarly furnished in the original but it looks like they're in a grey box and I know I didn't have that thought with TLOU.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
The more I see the less excited I am for this game, all the remake is doing is highlighting the original's flaws, you don't have the superior environments and gameplay of Part II, I'm sure there's no methods for reentering stealth, and you can truly see just how spartan the game's stages are compared to the sequel.

I understand the constraints this game was made under9basically no pre-prod or any license to change things up) but man this just makes the game feel older, like seeing your favorite celebrity get too much botox.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ah that makes sense, I got confused because I remember seeing behind the scenes videos where the actors had these cameras pointed at their faces that looked very similar to face capture rigs, but it was actually just capturing the reference.

edit: Actually I'm remembering wrong, they didn't have any face rigs at all in the first game behind the scenes
They did have video reference cameras specifically for the faces but yea reemphasizing that those are video reference only.
The more I see the less excited I am for this game, all the remake is doing is highlighting the original's flaws, you don't have the superior environments and gameplay of Part II, I'm sure there's no methods for reentering stealth, and you can truly see just how spartan the game's stages are compared to the sequel.
The first game already allowed you to re-enter stealth. ND made a big deal out of it because it was their first attempt at doing so and that led to UC4–>TLOU2.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The room they're in looks sparse. I'm sure it's similarly furnished in the original but it looks like they're in a grey box and I know I didn't have that thought with TLOU.

I had the same thought even back in the original. Actually, while the emotional beat itself is obviously very powerful, this was the worst transition in the game imo, because what effectively happened was that you were in the sniping part with Joel, and suddenly a horde broke through with too many for you to shoot down, but then it transitions to a cutscene, shows Joel and the rest going over a fence, then jump to them at the house cooking and enjoying a meal in that empty room.

I always thought that this must have been a section that they must have not had enough time to finish. Because it doesn't make sense to me that they would escalate the crisis by having a horde show up, then create such a flimsy getaway when we've seen hordes tear through much less, all done in cutscenes instead of gameplay.

I wonder if they had been remaking the game by actually changing a few things, they might have included an actual escape sequence with the horde, with a more natural transition to a house that is either more filled with stuff or else one that has an explanation for being so empty.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
They did have video reference cameras specifically for the faces but yea reemphasizing that those are video reference only.

The first game already allowed you to re-enter stealth. ND made a big deal out of it because it was their first attempt at doing so and that led to UC4–>TLOU2.
Huh, I just played the remaster in 2019 and I don't recall that at all, guess I just wasn't very good at that system(though come to think of it I don't recall having success reentering stealth in UC4 either).

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia

I understand the constraints this game was made under9basically no pre-prod or any license to change things up) but man this just makes the game feel older, like seeing your favorite celebrity get too much botox.
You 100% can re-enter stealth in the first game. No, it isn't as dynamic as Part II and hopefully the improvements to enemy and buddy AI in the remake improve this as well. But re-entering stealth was always possible.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I think several people on this thread are severely underestimating how much low resolution and poor image compression can impact our perception of a game's graphics.

100% if we saw this exact same scene in a high quality video released by ND we wouldn't be complaining about sparseness because all of the micro-details as well as the dynamism of tone and colour would be far, far more visible.

Tundra

alt account
Banned
Nov 23, 2021
They're in an abandoned house in a middle of a zombie apocalypse...why are yall caring about how sparse it is inside the house, visuals look great.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
The part with these guys in the basement with all the infected was the hardest part of my grounded playthrough, not looking forward to that again

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The remake does look fantastic. But after TLOU2 I think that was pretty obviously going to be the case.

Still don't see the need to spend $70 on it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Nah. Video reference is just that. Video. The only things recorded on set were body and voice.

If developers could just record facial capture data that easily there wouldn't be any need for markers, head cameras, and them being in the record stating for UC4 they hired new staff that specialized in full performance capture. If anything they were quite very literally a full decade late to the full performance capture setup party and that was a creative choice they made throughout the PS3 generation despite other developers increasingly investing in capturing everything all at once. That being face, body, VO.
Holy shit. I had no idea. That's fucking insane.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the facial expressions of Henry are insane. Joel also looks really heartbroken at the end.

This looks better than Part 2.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same thought even back in the original. Actually, while the emotional beat itself is obviously very powerful, this was the worst transition in the game imo, because what effectively happened was that you were in the sniping part with Joel, and suddenly a horde broke through with too many for you to shoot down, but then it transitions to a cutscene, shows Joel and the rest going over a fence, then jump to them at the house cooking and enjoying a meal in that empty room.

I always thought that this must have been a section that they must have not had enough time to finish. Because it doesn't make sense to me that they would escalate the crisis by having a horde show up, then create such a flimsy getaway when we've seen hordes tear through much less, all done in cutscenes instead of gameplay.

I wonder if they had been remaking the game by actually changing a few things, they might have included an actual escape sequence with the horde, with a more natural transition to a house that is either more filled with stuff or else one that has an explanation for being so empty.

Yeah, that is a moment that feels like it could've been a gameplay sequence and generally Naughty Dog makes those moments interactive.

I don't expect them to change that moment significantly but I am curious now to see if they tweak it.

They're in an abandoned house in a middle of a zombie apocalypse...why are yall caring about how sparse it is inside the house, visuals look great.

1. Abandoned doesn't mean empty, and oftentimes it means the exact opposite.

2. It's a game and this is a key moment within it. The room just looks oddly bland to me - plain walls, a window without an undrawn curtain - it just looks odd, imo.

3. That is visuals.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I just played the remaster in 2019 and I don't recall that at all, guess I just wasn't very good at that system(though come to think of it I don't recall having success reentering stealth in UC4 either).
Yea ND games have had that since TLOU and they very specifically have been using that as the baseline for AI behavior for nearly a decade. Like even two years before Uncharted 4 released the debut demo very specifically had a scripted segment showcasing that AI improvements compared to past UC titles where you straight up had to use a glitch to skip an encounter with stealth.

View: https://youtu.be/Ow2cL-pp6p8?t=692

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
They're in a radio tower, not an abandoned house.

Game looks excellent. Cannot wait for September to hit.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. I had no idea. That's fucking insane.
I mean the reason why was because they felt like the technology wasn't good enough yet to deliver the result that they needed and ND was in a unique spot, as an exclusive developer they were afforded the resources to get the results they wanted from cinematics. It's actually crazy how so much of their current workflow completely contradicts what they believed 7 years ago since one of their devs was on record stating the reasons why they wouldn't use full performance capture.

View: https://youtu.be/TqgKtVNb4XU

it's actually interesting because there are scenes in UC4 that were made using their older workflow, scenes that they showed earlier on or in animation reels, and the quality difference between that and the scenes made with full pcap is pretty discernible.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Noooo I forgot about this scene :(

Man, I remember why I didn't like this game, too fucking depressing...