• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
"Sony Interactive Entertainment as had yet another Backwards Compatibility patent go live. Today, a filing from 2017 has gone public and the creator is none other than Mr. Cenry.

This one talks about disabling a legacy CPU for a new CPU with "selected features of the new CPU that are not present on the legacy CPU". Full description of the patent at the source.

screen-shot-2019-03-19-at-10.31.56-pm.png
Source - Ryan Baez (jackofallcontrollers)

Last edited by a moderator:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it doesnt mean that's how it'll be in the end, but I feel like they're going for a regular bc without any possible improvement for older titles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
too much smoke at this point, i am certain it is happening. reads like enhanced boost mode to support different CPU architecures?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
This is the 3rd or 4th patent people have found that reference BC for Playstation isn't it? I feel at this point it's not about "If it'll be in it" but more "How far back will it go?" in the playstation ecosystem?

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
PS5 being backwards compatible to the PS4 has been a given ever since they revealed the specs of the PS4. This really is barely news.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect PS5 to be back compatible with PS4, and it may be achieved using some of the techniques outlined in these parents, but I think this is another Pro related patent.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that basically how hardware PS2 BC in the original phat PS3s worked?
If I'm understanding the OP right, no. OG PS3s had actual PS2 hardware in them to do BC, separate from the Cell/RSX, while this seems to be running BC by using the same CPU/GPU as PS5 games, but in an altered state.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Isn't that basically how hardware PS2 BC in the original phat PS3s worked?
If we're talking the OG 2006 PS3 Model. I don't believe so. If I remember there was a legit PS2 inside of the PS3. The emotion engine was actually inside along with the Cell and RSX chipsets. PS1 games might've worked in a similar way on the PS3, but I think that might've just been pulling from the software emulation from PS1 Classics on the Store.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I will be so happy if I can at least play all my ps4 games in the next generation.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I asume ps4 bc is a lock but hopefully we can get ps3 compatibility, there's so many cool games in that system.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I just want enhanced BC out of the gate, force games to look prettier automatically.

If we're talking the OG 2006 PS3 Model. I don't believe so. If I remember there was a legit PS2 inside of the PS3. The emotion engine was actually inside along with the Cell and RSX chipsets. PS1 games might've worked in a similar way on the PS3, but I think that might've just been pulling from the software emulation from PS1 Classics on the Store.
If I'm understanding the OP right, no. OG PS3s had actual PS2 hardware in them to do BC, separate from the Cell/RSX, while this seems to be running BC by using the same CPU/GPU as PS5 games, but in an altered state.
Later PS3 models had software emulation with PS2 titles and no actual PS2 hardware inside.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 will definitely be backwards compatible with PS4. Considering the PS3 had an the Emotion Engine in it to do BC for PS2 games, does this mean that PS4/PS5 need it as well to do PS2 BC or they hadn't figure out how to do BC for PS2 during PS3s time and skipped out on it altogether for PS4 to cut costs?

And if they did indeed figure out how to do BC, how far back are we going? Will it be PS4/PS3/PS2/PS1, PS4/PS3/PS2 or PS4/PS2/PS1. If they get PS3 in there, can someone please explain to me how they'll be able to make that possible?

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
I don't understand shit, but yeah PS5 will have some sort of BC.
it's simply stating that IF and OR commands.
screen-shot-2019-03-19-at-10.31.56-pm.png

So at the top, you see 201 starts. That means if you booted up your game ((Physical/Digital... which is not stating.)) then it goes with this question > is your game a PS4 game or a PS1,2,3?

1. If it's PS4 will go for NEW --> which will run the system regularly.
  2. If it's PS1,2,3 will go for OLD which is Legacy CPU--> which your PS4 might or not will change the User interface? I think it's the same with the WiiU where you choose a Wii game which takes you into a different dashboard.

• If you click legacy, it will take you into a 4 options. I think these are for an enhancement you can make? Such as resolution and different enhancements. Or without any upgrades.
3. Then will take you to END which your game is ready to be played.

correct me if I am wrong.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
OG 60GB/20GB PS3: FULL PS2 CPU/GPU
NTSC 80GB / PAL 60-80GB or whatever (PAL regions got the PS3 much later): Partial PS2 Hardware / Software Emulation (pretty sure it was the Graphics Synthesizer that was left in since the Cell could emulate the Emotion Engine by that time. The PS2 was able to do crazy fillrate that last gen's consoles were not able to do)
Every PS3 afterward starting with 40GB Fat to Super Slim: All software emulation only

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Isn't this what they implemented on Pro? Sure it's very likely pro was a test for BC and that they will bring it to PS5.
PS5 being backwards compatible to the PS4 has been a given ever since they revealed the specs of the PS4. This really is barely news.
Since the patent is about the cpu crippling itself to match the previous cpu in order to run older games it's clear that just being x86 does not ensure BC.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That seems like a very broad thing to patent.

The claims are the only bit the patent actually lays claim to. When you drill down into that, the core claim seems to be this:

10. A system, comprising, a new central processing unit (CPU) configured to execute instructions of an application, the new CPU having logic units configured to determine whether the application is a legacy application designed to run on a legacy device having a legacy CPU, and execute the application with algorithmic details of operation of one or more units of the new CPU altered to match or approximate algorithmic details of operation of corresponding units of the legacy CPU, by altering algorithmic details of operation of a branch target buffer of the new CPU and associated prediction logic to match or approximate algorithmic details of operation of a corresponding branch target buffer of the legacy CPU when the application is a legacy application for the legacy device.

Which is rather more specific, as a claim should be. Most everything else is just context and broader explanation...not everything described in that is part of the claim.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Sony will make a PlayStation that is BC from 1-4. Not necessarily PS5, but a console beside it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this what they implemented on Pro? Sure it's very likely pro was a test for BC and that they will bring it to PS5.

Yeah. Based on the timing aswell, this very likely is part of the same family of patents that were Pro related.

Now I fully expect them to be doing similar things, and extensions of them, for PS5 BC with PS4. But the breathless articles we see around this patents, heralding the possibility of PS1/PS2/PS3 BC, should cool their jets IMO.

Since the patent is about the cpu crippling itself to match the previous cpu in order to run older games it's clear that just being x86 does not ensure BC.

Yeah. Obviously it helps a lot, but if you let devs go very low level with the CPU, and.or want really reliable/precise behaviour, to avoid potential inconsistencies and bugs appearing in software on the newer cpu (e.g. race conditions popping up because code finishes faster or out of order on newer cpus), you probably want to layer in some changes to make the environment as close as possible to the original.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought Sony and it's customer base were against BC?

Please let it be all Playstations.

Because they decided not to put BC in the PS4 they were obviously going to say that

They're not going to come out and say "yeah we love BC it's just that we tried and it would be too costly to get it running on PS4"

They will always try and spin it in a positive light

They did the same when they were originally not happy with cross play, they didn't state the real reason, as it would be bad PR, so they used some corporate bullshit "protect the kids" or "PS is the best place to play" nonsense

You can't really take what any corporation says seriously

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Like all the other Sony patents that have been posted in the last year or two, it states the (much earlier) date right at the top of the patent it refers to (July 27th 2015).

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they are tackling this every way possible which is good.

I would love for it to be BC

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is that a patent? I don't have a development background but I could have drawn that diagram :/ It's super Obvious. Unless someone with actual knowledge of the matter can enlighten my arrogant ass?

Last edited: