• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Since someone in the other work thread asked.

Showed my figurative ass at work this morning.

Backstory: I work at a college and for the past few years I've been taking pictures of various construction projects as the last 3-5 years have seen the biggest campus overhaul in maybe 50-60 years. The original plan was that they would be put into a permanent digital collection accessible online for all to see to document the changes. Back in March I was told the collection had been delayed to November. Last week I emailed one of my supervisors asking for an update. They said the scope of the project had changed due to new guidelines and the collection would now combine multiple photographs from archival collections over the years (in other words I would not receive any credit). I said that's not at all what was initially discussed. Their response was essentially "too bad, this will make it better." I replied back saying I was hoping to use this as a good resume builder since I don't think anything else I do is worth putting on one, and I've been waiting several years for nothing.

This morning my main supervisor called me into the office. In a nutshell the conversation was the college owns the photos and they can do with them whatever they want however they want. What was initially discussed is really only for faculty members. I should be grateful for this and would be allowed to use the images in a resume portfolio. When I left I muttered "I bet if I was a faculty member you'd all be bending over backwards to kiss my ass.*"

I muttered too loudly/closely to the office door.

Main supervisor was furious as you'd expect. Said I was completely disrespectful. I said I've worked here for seven years and I'm treated with zero respect. No one tells me anything and I'm pretty much completely isolated from decisions. I'm expected to do the grunt work without getting any recognition. The mood softens; admittedly she is a nice person and knows me saying grunt work or the like is a sign my depression's acting up. So then it's "Look we're all in this together. Faculty, staff that doesn't really mean anything. You do good work. Please don't take this personally. Don't think there's a divide between the groups." I say "I'm sorry. I don't know."

Five hours later everything seems back to normal, or at least as normal as it can get. I cooled off in another building for a bit. The plan is to try focusing on the project next semester. I don't know what's going to happen. I got a formal warning last year (rude patrons lied about my behavior and an "unprofessional" photoshop), and this seems like it could be 2/3 if she decides to escalate. Part of me just doesn't care anymore.

This is probably the most open I've been to others in a long time. I don't really vent too much.

*Just to be clear, there's a whole 'nother thread worth of shit behind me saying that. However, it doesn't excuse what I said at all and I know it.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you're expecting from this thread. I don't mean that in a rude way either. You seem to know you messed up and acknowledged it.

Honestly, there IS a difference between faculty and staff. I work in an academic setting so I understand. That doesn't mean you should allow yourself to be talked down to but sometimes your bosses will make decisions you don't like and you just have to deal with it.

Really though, if you've been in a situation you don't like for 7 years it may be time to change things up.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I don 't get why you mumbled to yourself like you are in a tv show. Do people really do that? You must have wanted them to hear

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm crazy, but it doesn't seem like that big of deal. You spend a lot of your life at work. People get emotional. Your job is probably fine, but if you're not happy maybe it's time to move on.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you should've said what you meant both to their face and a little less snarky. there's a huge gulf of action between being a doormat and being rude, and you shouldn't let it all bottle up to come out at once. if you're frustrated, let your supervisor know in a 1on1 setting (that you set up) and if nothing happens after a few tries, leave if possible

overall i think you're fine, i've heard much worse lol. you didn't drop any f-bombs or threaten anybody. i wouldn't let them drag you over it

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Sure, you fucked up, but you're also being treated like shit by your employer. Don't let them make you purely internalize the "grunt work" talk. You're also feeling that way because you're being treated that way. That's not simply the fault of your depression.

Here's the deal: it may not feel like it, but whatever their project turns into, regardless of whether or not it is what you originally planned, is something that you contributed to, and you get to put that on your resume.

My advice is to use that as leverage to find a position where they value your work and don't treat you like you're a disposable cog.

OP
OP
NealMcCauley

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Really though, if you've been in a situation you don't like for 7 years it may be time to change things up.

I was legit a few weeks away from quitting before the project started, but it seemed like a way to advance. I was in a bad place mentally at the time and I was afraid of searching for another job. Also around the same time they started giving me more tech stuff that I enjoy. I'm apparently the only one in the building who knows how to do one thing.

I don 't get why you mumbled to yourself like you are in a tv show. Do people really do that? You must have wanted them to hear

Honestly didn't expect them to hear.

Thanks everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it sounds like they have a history of using you and this is just the straw that broke the camels back. You didn't respond well of course but just put the project on your resume anyways and start applying everywhere you can. Even places you wouldn't like just to get interview practice.