• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to try and make a prime rib roast for Easter since I'm by myself. Did a 2 rib roast at 150F for 4.5 hours. Finished in the oven at 500F per Serious Eats method and oh man, perfect medium rare with a nice crisp outside. I will definitely do small roast this way. And easy to get drippings to make the gravy too!

jCnsUF.jpg

Bone in chicken thighs: dry brined for 2 hours, 2 hour bath at 160F, finished under a broiler with a slap of bbq sauce.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to try and make a prime rib roast for Easter since I'm by myself. Did a 2 rib roast at 150F for 4.5 hours. Finished in the oven at 500F per Serious Eats method and oh man, perfect medium rare with a nice crisp outside. I will definitely do small roast this way. And easy to get drippings to make the gravy too!

Everything I've read and been told says it's a waste of time to cook prime rib sous-vide since it's already pretty tender, maybe I'll try it one day but just doing reverse sear in the oven is pretty excellent anyway

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
I love chicken thighs, those look great cyberninja

Everything I've read and been told says it's a waste of time to cook prime rib sous-vide since it's already pretty tender, maybe I'll try it one day but just doing reverse sear in the oven is pretty excellent anyway

In Serious Eats Kenji has a recipe in the oven where you do a slow cook - roughly at the same temp would do sous vide but for me it was just easier to setup. My prime rib had been in the freezer for a little while as well, so I figured it may help with any freezer burn vs the oven which I think it did. I'd post a picture but seemingly never pick the right image host for here...

Oct 25, 2017

In Serious Eats Kenji has a recipe in the oven where you do a slow cook - roughly at the same temp would do sous vide but for me it was just easier to setup. My prime rib had been in the freezer for a little while as well, so I figured it may help with any freezer burn vs the oven which I think it did. I'd post a picture but seemingly never pick the right image host for here...

Imgur

Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
I have either an inside round roast or it might be eye of round, I can't remember

Anyone have a good recipe and cooking time for a 4.5 pounder?

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you folks sear your chicken legs/thighs? I'm not 100% happy with the broiler (burns the top, not enough sear on the sides) or cast iron on the stove.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i think you need more fat.
i have not specifically done SV thighs onto cast iron tho. but i would brush some oil onto the thighs as well has having some in the pan.
wild idea: brush mayo onto them

Looks delicious! It's been too long since I have made something sous vide. I've been experimenting with Neapolitan style pizza with a dedicated pizza oven recently. I'm thinking of picking up some prime beef at Costco to sous vide.

Thanks. I'd like to get into making 🍕 , but I feel intimidated by making dough. Lol.
This place feels so dead, c'mon people post some pictures.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
What host do y'all use? Imgur won't work for me on mobile for some reason? I've been baking all sorts of breads and stuff that I would post but it won't work. Soft Pretzels probably my new fave.

Also Pizza dough is easy. Depends what style you want to do.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
What is the texture like for sous vide chicken? I have heard some people say that they don't like poultry when it is cooked sous vide.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
What host do y'all use? Imgur won't work for me on mobile for some reason? I've been baking all sorts of breads and stuff that I would post but it won't work. Soft Pretzels probably my new fave.

Also Pizza dough is easy. Depends what style you want to do.
I just created a private group on discord, post my images there, then hotlink them.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
My wife bought me an Anova Pro for Xmas, it's now the end of January and we're about to replace our second.

Same issue both times - worked for the first few days then just stopped working mid-cook. Nothing you can do as it's all touch screen/WiFi so when the unit blows so do your operating functions. These are expensive and fancy appliances but the reliability - at least in our experience - is awful. Amazon/Anova have been great with replacements but I'm beginning to think this is a bit an ongoing issue with this model. Anyone else experience anything similar? Any pro tips?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
My wife bought me an Anova Pro for Xmas, it's now the end of January and we're about to replace our second.

Same issue both times - worked for the first few days then just stopped working mid-cook. Nothing you can do as it's all touch screen/WiFi so when the unit blows so do your operating functions. These are expensive and fancy appliances but the reliability - at least in our experience - is awful. Amazon/Anova have been great with replacements but I'm beginning to think this is a bit an ongoing issue with this model. Anyone else experience anything similar? Any pro tips?
No tips, but I'd recommend getting a Joule. As long as you clean it regularly, it's great. Also, you control it from an app so that's nice. It's also super light and compact.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017

That sucks. :\ I've had my Anova since Christmas of 2015 (thanks [now] wifey!) with no issues, but it's just the standard model.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

Wow, I've had mine since I pre-ordered the nano and Anova upgraded it to the Bluetooth model due to production delays. No issues. When we lived in Texas we had to run it in a vinegar mix at least once a month due to hard water lime build up, though...

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I've had mine since I pre-ordered the nano and Anova upgraded it to the Bluetooth model due to production delays. No issues. When we lived in Texas we had to run it in a vinegar mix at least once a month due to hard water lime build up, though...
Yeah I've had the Bluetooth pro model for about 4 years now and haven't had a single issue. Glad this thread got bumped. Reminded me I need to post in here

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah we do feel like we've been exceptionally unlucky. That said a bit of token research leads me to believe it may only be the newer units that have this issue.

Third times a charm!

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think I finally cracked the code on the Starbucks sous-vide egg bites. I messed with the Anova recipe, replacing cream cheese with melted butter (1.5oz instead of 2), upping the salt a bit, switching out the green onion for some chopped blanched spinach. I also added a little feta to the toppings.

They recommend an hour cooking time at 172, although I doubled the recipe and cooked 12 instead of 6, and found they were a little under. Second batch I did for 1:45 and it was much better.

They taste really close to the Starbucks ones, but I found going overly heavy on the toppings like I did inhibits the egg from forming very well, so I will go lighter next time.