• Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Anova/Sous-Vide ERA

Oct 25, 2017
ive been spending money on ribeye and love the way it comes out. i even learn to use a cast iron skillet LOL
since i picked up an air fryer ill try it out in there too and see how that works.

Nov 15, 2017
Guys and Gals, i plan to buy my first sous vide on Amazon. Which is the best one to get?
Anova 800 or 900 watt, and the Joule are the two brands that are most popular in the stick sous vides. Joule is a little nicer but more expensive and has no physical controls, only app. The Anovas do physical and app controls.

Oct 27, 2017
So I had ended up with the

"ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide, 1100 Watts, All White"

I hope I made the right decision. My mom is looking at me like I'm crazy to buy it so it'll be fun when I do make some food with this thing.

I Sincerely want to give my thanks to everyone with their suggestions.

Oct 27, 2017
im going to be having guests over for xmas and im wanting to do a prime rib. anyone done one that has any tips? SVE just uploaded a video today and did a 3 bone prime rib at 137 for 6 hours. he mentions a dry brine overnight but doesnt explain what or how. anyone got any tips?

Dec 11, 2017
I don't know why but I kept thinking asparagus took a while sous vide. It takes 15 mins. I guess I hadn't done it in so long I forgot. I find cooking it in the pan a pain in the ass as I usually have a bunch of other veggies cooking at the same time and the asparagus never comes out great. Did 185 for 15 mins in a bag with a tad bit of butter and salt and came out great. Probably do it sous vide all the time now.

im going to be having guests over for xmas and im wanting to do a prime rib. anyone done one that has any tips? SVE just uploaded a video today and did a 3 bone prime rib at 137 for 6 hours. he mentions a dry brine overnight but doesnt explain what or how. anyone got any tips?
Dry brine is just salt. Wrap it in plastic wrap.

Pork tenderloin I made yesterday, finished it on my friend's charcoal grill.

I made this today, lamb chops cooked to medium and finished them on my gas weber cast iron hotplate. Holy shit, this was the best meal I've ever had.

Sorry, i didn't take any pictures after i took it off the grill, it was too good, so i forgot to take pics.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No pics, but I sous vide'd my first standing rib roast for the family using Guga's recipe from Sous Vide Everything. I finished it in the oven after slathering a butter, garlic, rosemary mixture on top of the roast. Turned out great. And it was medium rare throughout and juicy and tender. Easy peasy.

Nov 14, 2017
So question: I got an Anova BT recently and have tried a few things first was carnitas and they turned out amazing. Second was a grass fed NY Strip and the texture was perfect but the flavor was a bit off, it got a great sear and was very juicy, just didn’t taste as good as even a well done steak. What could have happened? It was bagged with just salt and pepper and a small pat of butter.

Oct 26, 2017
try without butter next time. only a couple places i've seen mention this, but they say there can be a leeching effect with fats added to beef/chicken/pork but a fat is still necessary with fish/shellfish.

Oct 31, 2017
Used the family as guinea pigs and did a 20lb turkey for Christmas. (18hrs @ 150) It was fantastic, perfectly cooked and didn't have to worry about checking it. It made a ton of juice for gravy. Hot tub turkey is now requested for future holiday gatherings.

Dec 23, 2018
Great thread.

I don’t use my Anova as often as I should but it’s an excellent bit of kit. Another great buy was the Razzori vacuum sealer. Dead handy to fit in a drawer out of the way and perfect for sealing, marinading and freezing foodstuffs.

jts

Oct 26, 2017
I have to confess I haven’t used my Anova in some months. I’ve been just cooking stuff the regular way with honest success. Even steak and the like. Chicken I just grill on the moment. Salmon I honestly cannot see it coming out wrong, I guess the thing I feel the most where it’s key is for long cooking stuff like ribs. Those ribs impressed everyone.

Also the egg bites were great but it’s such an intensive job with all the prep, including cleaning and managing the jars, that I haven’t done them in forever.