• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I've had an Anova for about a year and have made some of the best steak and chicken I've ever had. Perfectly cooked every time.

I suggest checking out the SousVideEverything channel on YouTube. They're hilarious and do a lot of experiments and comparisons of searing methods, seasoning, etc.

How important are the Bluetooth/Wifi features that some of these models have? Can they be remotely powered on?

I don't use the Wifi feature on mine at all. It's easier to just set the dial on the device itself. I could see how it would be useful if you have to cook at a high temp and want a notification for when it reaches temp, assuming you wouldn't hear the beep.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a sous vide steak last night. It was full of mishaps, none of which really are the fault of the circulator, but if you feel like reading, it's over at the IronEra thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ironera-ot-vol-1-mise-en-place.1449/page-4#post-928662

So I'm just now realizing that although I selected to receive an Anova Precision Cooker BT to complete my delayed Nano order, my cooker actually has a WiFi logo on it in place of the Bluetooth logo. Did they actually ship me a WiFi unit by accident? This comes after a guy in the other place got a box literally covered in black mold... what were they doing when they were fulfilling these?
Use da propano

Since I got the Benzomatic 8000 or whatever I've been torching fukken everything. It's just fun, *and* effective!

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
I ended up using my Bluetooth for the first time tonight. I bought a $4 top round sirloin and ended up over cooking it. I wanted medium and ended up with well done. It was still tasty though. Set off my smoke detector in my apartment too. LOL

Gonna try a chicken breast next. I think next time I'll just cook the steak for 1 and a half hour instead of 2.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up using my Bluetooth for the first time tonight. I bought a $4 top round sirloin and ended up over cooking it. I wanted medium and ended up with well done. It was still tasty though. Set off my smoke detector in my apartment too. LOL

Gonna try a chicken breast next. I think next time I'll just cook the steak for 1 and a half hour instead of 2.
That is not how this works.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If your are setting off your some detector with a sous vide device, something is horribly wrong.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? Enlighten me then, oh wise one.
I am grateful for the opportunity to share my wisdom! Aside from the not mentioning streak searing setting off the alarm, lol.

With sous vide, cooking longer does not raise the temperature of the meat any higher. If the water bath temp is set to 135 or so, no matter how long (within reason) it will be a medium rare steak.

To get a well done steak, you had the temperature too high on the heating element.

Also I use to set of the smoke alarms to, dry the steak of with a paper towel before you toss it in the pan.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I did a 2.2 lb Chuck Roast that turned out very well.

Season uncooked roast with salt and pepper
Pan Sear over medium high heat for two minutes a side
Remove roast from pan, add 5 cloves crushed garlic and some rosemary to brown
Bag meat and spices
Cooked 129 degrees F for 27 hours
Transfer roast to oven cooking sheet, retain juice and garlic
Whip one egg white and brush onto roast
Add rub of salt, pepper, crushed rosemary, and crushed thyme
Bake at 475 for fifteen minutes
Cook down juice in saucepan and add 1 cup beef stock. Stir and reduce to desired thickness. Strain and serve

It was very tender though I think next time I'll go for the full 48 hour cook as the cut had a lot of fat in it. We had it with caramelized carrots and redskin mashed potatoes.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am considering getting the Anova WiFi unti for $129 on Black Friday. Is this the best option currently running?

Is there any advantage to getting one of the big crock-pot style sous vide cookers ? Seems like it would be kind of a hassle to clean, but there must be some benefit I'm not seeing.
I use a Gourmia multicooker. It has been amazing for sous vide cooking, but I've also used it for baking and such. It's great, I'd highly recommend it.

If you're going to get into sous vide, I'd also recommend getting a kitchen torch. All the steak I've made since picking up a torch has been significantly better than when I was using a pan to sear.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use a Gourmia multicooker. It has been amazing for sous vide cooking, but I've also used it for baking and such. It's great, I'd highly recommend it.

If you're going to get into sous vide, I'd also recommend getting a kitchen torch. All the steak I've made since picking up a torch has been significantly better than when I was using a pan to sear.

I am leaning towards getting a sous vide wand and an Instant Pot, since that'd allow me to do pressure cooking as well as slow cooking. The Gourmia looks cool though. I'm mostly just cooking for myself so I am not sure I need something that big anyhow.

Are there any considerations to be made when buying a torch, or can I pretty much buy whatever?

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What kind of difference do you see? How or why is it better?
I prefer the crust I'm able to get using a torch, while not having to worry about cooking the steak after I've gotten it out of the bag. This is probably due to some failing on my part, but I was never able to get a good sear without sacrificing some of the pink inside. Using a torch, I don't come out with any gray on the inside.

This might seem like blasphemy, but 90% of the time I eat steak I cut off the fat. The texture of it bothers me. Using a torch, I find it easier to render the fat to a point where I enjoy eating it.

Oct 25, 2017
I am leaning towards getting a sous vide wand and an Instant Pot, since that'd allow me to do pressure cooking as well as slow cooking. The Gourmia looks cool though. I'm mostly just cooking for myself so I am not sure I need something that big anyhow.

Are there any considerations to be made when buying a torch, or can I pretty much buy whatever?
Accept no substitutes.

Torch is great. It's fun, lets you get the next to perfect crust without any fuss, and I mean come on, you're cooking with a blow torch now! HOW AWESOME IS THAT?
The only better crust is using charcoal starter. Like actually leaving the coals in the starter and searing it on top of that. But the torch gets a lot of points for not requiring charcoal or a starter or a grill or good weather.

And yeah, when using a pan or a grill to sear you have to worry about cooking the meat inside; that's not a problem with a blowtorch. The Searzall is also supposedly a great addition to the Benzomatic, makes a better, though slower, cook from what I've heard.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, definitely go with the TS8000. I really like using the 16oz green camping propane tanks with it. They are cheap, last forever and make the torch much more stable when I set it down. I use a Searzall with mine, but I think it's more of a fun gadget than a necessity.

Accept no substitutes.

Torch is great. It's fun, lets you get the next to perfect crust without any fuss, and I mean come on, you're cooking with a blow torch now! HOW AWESOME IS THAT?
The only better crust is using charcoal starter. Like actually leaving the coals in the starter and searing it on top of that. But the torch gets a lot of points for not requiring charcoal or a starter or a grill or good weather.

And yeah, when using a pan or a grill to sear you have to worry about cooking the meat inside; that's not a problem with a blowtorch. The Searzall is also supposedly a great addition to the Benzomatic, makes a better, though slower, cook from what I've heard.

Bonus, the TS8000 is an awesome and easy way to get the charcoal chimney going.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that theChefman Cooker is going to be $60 at Best Buy on Black Friday. Is there any reason to spend more on an Anova device? Will this work just as well?

For $60 it's not a bad gift for my parents, who have been curious about trying out sous vide. Would this model be okay for an older couple that's slightly less technologically inclined?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the crust I'm able to get using a torch, while not having to worry about cooking the steak after I've gotten it out of the bag. This is probably due to some failing on my part, but I was never able to get a good sear without sacrificing some of the pink inside. Using a torch, I don't come out with any gray on the inside.

This might seem like blasphemy, but 90% of the time I eat steak I cut off the fat. The texture of it bothers me. Using a torch, I find it easier to render the fat to a point where I enjoy eating it.

Thanks for the response! I put a torch on my christmas list because so many people swear by doing it that way, but I was trying to figure out how to justify it to my wife when we have a perfectly good grill.

OP
OP
LGHT_TRSN

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I think my GF's getting me a torch for X-mas. Will be nice to not smoke up the entire house using the cast-iron. :P

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the response! I put a torch on my christmas list because so many people swear by doing it that way, but I was trying to figure out how to justify it to my wife when we have a perfectly good grill.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. A grill definitely offers some things a torch won't, but it's really simple and fun to use.

Have you tried doing pulled pork and finishing it on the grill? I follow this recipe and finish it off in the oven, because I live in an apartment and using a grill is a huge hassle here. Even without a grill, it's some of the best pulled pork I've ever had. Highly recommended.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to pull a trigger and buy this amazing gadget, what model I should go for? I'm leaning towards this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727R431B/?tag=era0f0-20
I only have experience with the Anova, which I think should be cheaper than the one you linked. It works fine though I haven't done more than three steaks simultaneously yet. (I'm about to attempt five steaks at once in a couple weeks, which I'm a bit worried about.)

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What i like about this model is that it operates at 1100 Watt and at the moment its only a tad more expensive than Anova, which runs at 900 Watt. Nonetheless, cannot wait to step up my cooking game. Thanks for your help.
I was looking at this one as well. Does the 1100 watt vs the 900 watt make that big of a difference? I've read quicker boil times and maintains the temps better, but nothing else.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered one yesterday and it should be delivered today. Going to Costco tomorrow to load up on some steaks.

Excited to try this. I hope it does an ok job with chicken because that's what i usually eat

Oct 25, 2017
Sis got me a sous vide macheen for my birthday. I've tried three things, ribeye at 3 hours at 130 seasoned and bagged with yellow pepper, garlic cloves, aspargus tips, red onion, green onion. I tried the Starbucks egg bite rip-off recipe, and that turned out quite good, though I used mini-quiche pans instead of mason jars, bottomed with bacon, green pepper, gouda cheese, and creme fraiche mixed in, that was 172 for an hour. Finally, last night I did the Good Eats carnitas. Pork loin seasoned and bagged with white onion, garlic cloves, two halved tangerines with skin on at 165 for 18 hours.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
We tried to sous vide the turkey this year and it was kinda bleh. What was surprising was how the taste and texture was a lot like the sous vide pork that we do. So it was weird that it tasted more like pork than the usual Thanksgiving turkey. We won't be doing that again.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My grocery store had a special last week for Thanksgiving where if you bought a precooked spiral cut ham, you got a free turkey, so tonight I cooked the ham sous vide.
It was vacuum sealed in plastic already, so I threw the whole thing in the pot at 140 F for four hours. (The pot wasn't really big enough, so the top poked out of the water, but that was less than a quarter of an inch.)
After that, I took it out, brushed on a glaze made from brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic, and stuck it in a 500 F oven for fifteen minutes, pulling it out every five minutes to brush on more glaze, before pulling it out and slicing it.

I'm not typically a fan of ham, but oh man, this was easily the best ham I've ever eaten. It was tender and moist and the glaze was amazing. I highly recommend trying ham in sous vide.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I bit the bullet and got an Anova on cyber monday sale. Do you all have a particular place you go to for recipes? Excited to get started!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bit the bullet and got an Anova on cyber monday sale. Do you all have a particular place you go to for recipes? Excited to get started!

The anova app has a bunch of recipes built in. Seriouseats.com and chefsteps.com are good too. (Although chefsteps will try to sell you their Joule.)

Oct 25, 2017
I think that extra Watts allow you to cook more food at once, not 100% sure though.
In case this is still relevant, yes, this is the main advantage. It'll kind of speed up your preheat time, but most importantly it determines your "cap" on how much water you can heat up -- if you don't have enough wattage the water's cooling may outpace the device's heating. Insulation and such can more or less get around that though, so whatever numbers they have are kind of an estimate really.

In case this is still relevant, yes, this is the main advantage. It'll kind of speed up your preheat time, but most importantly it determines your "cap" on how much water you can heat up -- if you don't have enough wattage the water's cooling may outpace the device's heating. Insulation and such can more or less get around that though, so whatever numbers they have are kind of an estimate really.

Thank you.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Question, I have a pot but it's not terribly tall. Does the clear plastic pump cap on the bottom need to be off the pot bottom? Mine rests on the bottom of the pot.

Need a taller pot?

xFp4Wlf.jpg

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Question, I have a pot but it's not terribly tall. Does the clear plastic pump cap on the bottom need to be off the pot bottom? Mine rests on the bottom of the pot.

Need a taller pot?

xFp4Wlf.jpg
As long as you can fill to the minimum water line and it doesn't move around too much when it's running, you'll be fine.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
That plastic cap covers a spinning turbine. If there's technically clearance you can make it work, but if you ever bump the unit accidentally you could damage the circulator or your pot.

I'd suggest getting a polycarbonate tub in the long run. The square shaped tubs provide far more capacity than round pots and there are lots of options for fitted lids with cutouts for the circulator to optimize insulation.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Shortly after getting my anova I lost the little arm that attaches it to the side of the pot. I just stood the thing up on that plastic cap like it was a joule, and I've never had an issue. It can sit on that plastic cap, yes.

(I eventually found the arm, my wife just put it away somewhere weird.)

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
My joule came yesterday after a little shipping snafu that gave me an extra $15 off. Had poached eggs this morning. They turned out perfectly. Can't wait to try some different meats.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a couple of weeks since I got my Anova. Since then I've cooked ribeye steak, salmon, chicken thigh, carrots, asparagus, tilapia, and cod. I have a few jumbled thoughts about the whole experience so far.

1) The Anova app hasn't been working well for me so far. The bluetooth seems to randomly disconnect from my phone, and it would sometimes declare my food to be done even when it was just preheating - that's surely a bug (happened twice when I was cooking carrots). The interface is also kind of messy - the guide by Serious Eats is good, but it doesn't have a lot of recipes. You can search for more recipes under the recipes tab, but it's not well organized at all. Many a times I just wanted to find out what the optimum temperature and cooking time I needed for, say, cod. Searching for cod recipes bring out a bunch of different cod dishes, ingredient lists, food photos and navigating that requires a few more unnecessary taps than I'd like. I downloaded the Sou Vide Celsius app which seems to fix a lot of my issues. It's unfortunately a paid app, but for some reason, the bluetooth connection seems to be more reliable from that app, and when you go to the app, it present a no-nonsense list of categories, from which I can usually find what I need in two taps. It feels much better to use and I wish that was the official Anova app.

2) I've been using my 6 quart stockpot to cook my food so far but I'm starting to feel it's too small. Since I don't have the time to sous vide during the week day, I usually sous vide a batch of food on Sunday, transfer them into an ice bath, and refrigerate the sealed packs, and complete the cooking on the day I need to eat them. I'm thinking of getting a polycarbonate container now to make larger batches of food.

3) I think the food item I've seen the greatest improvement from sous vide so far is steak. Unfortunately, I messed up the first time by not heating up my skillet hot enough to sear it quickly without cooking the middle. My steak ended up medium well.

4) I decided to get a sous vide recipe book for motivation/inspiration. I looked at a few books and finally decided on this one. It seems to be at the right level between the books aimed at true beginners and that fancy Thomas Keller cookbook aimed at chefs and have impossible-to-find ingredients.

So far, I'm quite pleased with my Anova. It's definitely given me renewed motivation to cook more often instead of eating out (which saves me money!). It also takes out a lot of the guesswork of cooking, which is great for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna make me some mashed taters tonight to go with my steak.

I think I've realized that the key to veggies and such is to just cook them the prior day, then throw them in with whatever meat so they warm back up for dinner.

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
This thing turned a $5 top round sirlion into the best steak I ever made at home. I ate two of them. No sides dishes even.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've got a couple of pork chops doing the sous vide thing right now. I'm doing them at 140 like Kenji recommends, so lets see how they turn out.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I did boneless chicken thighs with the skin on last night. 160 for 50 minutes. Seared the skin side for a few minutes. They turned out fantastic.