• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
After testing a bunch of different temperatures on steak, I can safely say that 129 degrees for 1.5-2h is perfection for me. What is everyone's favorite temp for steak?

129/2 is great. Then sear on a grill or somewhere else super hot til the fat just starts to render.

Maybe an hour and 10 minutes? And yup, always with a sear, but what would that have to do with it being purple ish inside?

hour ten is way too short, especially for 127. 129/1.5 or 2 is best.

Wait, is over 1 hour necessary? All of the guides in the app say 1 hour so I thought that's all it takes to cook to it to the desired temp?

I think 129 is perfect for me too. I only cook it lower because I usually meal prep and plan to microwave the steak at work

Which app? longer will make it more tender, and a better color usually. no point in rushing.

Think about it. Sure, a brisket might be "done" in 1 day. But three days at the same temperature makes it so much better.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
129/2 is great. Then sear on a grill or somewhere else super hot til the fat just starts to render.

hour ten is way too short, especially for 127. 129/1.5 or 2 is best.

Which app? longer will make it more tender, and a better color usually. no point in rushing.

Think about it. Sure, a brisket might be "done" in 1 day. But three days at the same temperature makes it so much better.

The anova app. My understanding of this is that the meat cooks to a certain temperature and then basically stops cooking. I didn't think there was an advantage to cooking that much longer

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
If you really want to know the joy of cast iron you should sand out that Lodge and then reseason. You will probably throw away all your teflon non stick gear after seeing the results. Alternatively there are cast iron companies such as Stargazer that sell their pans with machined inner surfaces. Also one could buy antique Wagner's if they want a smooth inner surface. I've had good luck sanding Lodge pans but it is a bit of work.

For comparison here is a pre-seasoned Stargazer cast iron pan.

$80 is a little steep for a pan but these look incredible. How would you compare the sanded Lodge pan vs the un-sanded one? I have one I could sand down if its worth it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
First attempt at pasteurizing eggs (135 F for 75 minutes) went perfectly! I used the yolk to top my steak tartare (and another for the binding sauce):

t1r4s.jpg

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
$80 is a little steep for a pan but these look incredible. How would you compare the sanded Lodge pan vs the un-sanded one? I have one I could sand down if its worth it.

My lodge before sanding wasn't terrible... had about a decade of use built up on it. Still I couldn't really fry an egg in it or anything. After stripping, sanding, reseasoning, and a couple weeks of use it is basically telon levels of non stick. I can crack an egg in it, even without oil, and tilt the pan it it slides all over the place.

It is great for browning meat because it is still heavy cast iron which retains its scorching hot heat when meat is applied but none of the crust sticks to the pan.

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
My lodge before sanding wasn't terrible... had about a decade of use built up on it. Still I couldn't really fry an egg in it or anything. After stripping, sanding, reseasoning, and a couple weeks of use it is basically telon levels of non stick. I can crack an egg in it, even without oil, and tilt the pan it it slides all over the place.

It is great for browning meat because it is still heavy cast iron which retains its scorching hot heat when meat is applied but none of the crust sticks to the pan.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I've seen a few videos of this on YouTube. Is it that straight forward? Just get the stripping wheel and some sandpaper?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
First attempt at pasteurizing eggs (135 F for 75 minutes) went perfectly! I used the yolk to top my steak tartare (and another for the binding sauce):

t1r4s.jpg

Damn, that's pro.

Got a cast iron on Amazon during a deal and finished off a couple of nice steaks after hitting them with my Anova at 125 for an hour.

Since it's my first time with this cast iron I may have sat them for a little too long but still came out a nice medium rare.

image3owr0h.png

image4e1prx.png

Taking that first bite making sure you've got a bit of fat on the end is fucking heaven. I mean they all are but that first one especially. Coupled with some mashed potatoes and veggies, oooowweee.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Did my 4 ribeye caps at 131 for about 2.25 hours this weekend. They were a little too rare for everyone, which was surprising even after the cast iron sear and baste. Not sure why they didn't get a little more even in texture. I'll probably do 134 next time.

OP
OP
LGHT_TRSN

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
We did a flank steak for dinner with friends @ 130 for 4-5 hours over the weekend and it was fantastic. I love first-impressions of sous-vide virgins. They are consistently blown away that a homemade steak can be THAT good.

I do like the cast iron for searing, but man does it get smoky in the house whenever we do it.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
We did a flank steak for dinner with friends @ 130 for 4-5 hours over the weekend and it was fantastic. I love first-impressions of sous-vide virgins. They are consistently blown away that a homemade steak can be THAT good.

I do like the cast iron for searing, but man does it get smoky in the house whenever we do it.

Yeah, my smoke alarm went off 4 times during my sears this weekend. Next time I'll do it outside on my grill burner.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
Finally did a chuckroast for 39 or so hours at 133F. I used Weber BBQ rub on it a day before cooking and let it hang out in the fridge uncovered and seasoned. Finished it after the cook with kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and a sear in rosemary and garlic butter. Cut it against the grain and it was just amazing. Incredibly beefy, like a cross between ribeye and prime rib. I will probably smoke one on my kettle with hickory chunks for a couple of hours to finish another one pretty soon.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, my smoke alarm went off 4 times during my sears this weekend. Next time I'll do it outside on my grill burner.

Yeah, this is what I do. I take my cast iron out to the grill and do it out there. The high heat of the metal against the meat gives it a better sear, but I don't smoke up my house.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, this is what I do. I take my cast iron out to the grill and do it out there. The high heat of the metal against the meat gives it a better sear, but I don't smoke up my house.

I actually have a side burner on my grill, but I guess it would also work well on the actual grate. I'm also just thinking of getting the cast iron griddle for my Weber.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
So just a question. Anyone has a guide to storing and reheating things that you have sous vide for a later date?

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do my ribeyes in the Sous Vide at 127 for around 2 hours and then sear on my cast iron. Perfect results every time.

Anyone have any experience with carbon steel pans? My understanding is they're basically a nonstick and lighter version of cast iron that sears just as well but is 10x easier to clean.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do my ribeyes in the Sous Vide at 127 for around 2 hours and then sear on my cast iron. Perfect results every time.

Anyone have any experience with carbon steel pans? My understanding is they're basically a nonstick and lighter version of cast iron that sears just as well but is 10x easier to clean.

Yeah, they get good and hot, and after you season them, nothing sticks. Love them more than my 76 year old cast iron skillet.. :)

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Did my 4 ribeye caps at 131 for about 2.25 hours this weekend. They were a little too rare for everyone, which was surprising even after the cast iron sear and baste. Not sure why they didn't get a little more even in texture. I'll probably do 134 next time.

I'm over 140 for 1.5 - 2 hours. I like it a little pink inside not red.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in a 'no pink pork' environment. I've been missing out. Oh man, medium rare porkchops are super delicious! So juicy and tender ooooooooh

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm over 140 for 1.5 - 2 hours. I like it a little pink inside not red.

Thanks, I'll try that next time. Maybe 138-139.

I grew up in a 'no pink pork' environment. I've been missing out. Oh man, medium rare porkchops are super delicious! So juicy and tender ooooooooh

I'm still not super into medium pork. a little pink is ok.

the FDA ruined a generation making people overcook pork.

True, but Trichinella still freaks me out.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
how do you breed a parasite out of an animal?

okay that's not technically correct terminology, but you do end up cycling through generations because of the industry being what it is. they had to clean up in various ways to make it so pigs weren't infected anymore. the FDA lowered the safe done temp from 160 to 145 after this, which is crazy to think a government agency moved anything, at all.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
it sucks to think about what the pork lobby did. they bred the piggies to be like lean as hell like fat-free snackwells cookies during that time we were told all fat was bad (when it was sugar killing us the whole time). similar to how chicken breasts now look like they came from a bird that couldn't keep itself upright, but that took like a century... and a lot of antibiotics. not so for the piggies. we could have nicely marbled pork chops, but no. i go on about this too much, sorry. anyway, i like meat still.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
it sucks to think about what the pork lobby did. they bred the piggies to be like lean as hell like fat-free snackwells cookies during that time we were told all fat was bad (when it was sugar killing us the whole time). similar to how chicken breasts now look like they came from a bird that couldn't keep itself upright, but that took like a century... and a lot of antibiotics. not so for the piggies. we could have nicely marbled pork chops, but no. i go on about this too much, sorry. anyway, i like meat still.

Same. sigh.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, but Trichinella still freaks me out.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm
For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52C (125.6F), in 6 minutes at 55C (131F), and in < 1 minute at
60C (140F). It should be noted that these times and temperatures apply only when the product reaches and maintains temperatures evenly distributed throughout the meat.
So even medium-rare at 140F for >45min is more than enough to deal with it. <3 sousvide pasteurization.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sous vide-ERA. I have joined you. Destiny arrives.

My first attempt was chicken breast, that was the best chicken I ever had. Second was eggs, those were perfect aside from feeling weird throwing out some of the watery egg white that came out.

Finally, I made the NY Strip. I fucked it up!!!! 129 for 1 hour, medium rare. Then I fired up my cast iron. Cooked too long sadly. I was trying to get that glorious crust and spooning the oil/butter on it. It looked glorious, but when I cut it open I was sad to find a medium steak. It was juicy and awesome, but alas. Next time I guess the protocol is wait longer for more oil smoke for hotter pan?

I have a carbon steel wok. Yeah its a lighter version of cast iron. The surface is more smooth, so your polymer layer is easier to scrape off compared to cast iron. It cools/heats faster simply because it's going to be a lot thinner and less dense. Thus, it will get hotter in less time than your cast iron, and when you take it off the heat it will cool down faster. I would say it's only easier to clean because it's lighter.

I like having a 10 inch cast iron, but I would never get my wok in cast iron (it's huge) and if I wanted an iron large pan (12 inch or above) I would get carbon steel because cast iron is a bitch to move around after 10 inch.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Sous vide-ERA. I have joined you. Destiny arrives.

My first attempt was chicken breast, that was the best chicken I ever had. Second was eggs, those were perfect aside from feeling weird throwing out some of the watery egg white that came out.

Finally, I made the NY Strip. I fucked it up!!!! 129 for 1 hour, medium rare. Then I fired up my cast iron. Cooked too long sadly. I was trying to get that glorious crust and spooning the oil/butter on it. It looked glorious, but when I cut it open I was sad to find a medium steak. It was juicy and awesome, but alas. Next time I guess the protocol is wait longer for more oil smoke for hotter pan?

Yes on the cast iron protocol but I'd sous-vide at a lower temp as well. Try 125.

That is the great thing about sous vide though - even if you overcook when finishing off in the pan it's amazing.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes on the cast iron protocol but I'd sous-vide at a lower temp as well. Try 125.

That is the great thing about sous vide though - even if you overcook when finishing off in the pan it's amazing.

ok thanks! I'll go lower. And agreed, my GF prefers medium to well done steak and it was her favorite steak ever lol.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
currently have a full 13lb brisket in the sous vide at 155 for 36-55 hours. Haven't decided how long yet. I want it at the 155 texture.

I smoked it for 3 hours first and I'll probably finish it on the smoker or grill. I know I'm going to cut off the point and chop it up for burnt ends.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
for finishing steaks, i'm committed to using a non-stick instead of cast iron. cast iron emits too much radiated heat (you can feel the difference if you put your finger near the surface) that is less forgiving when you're really trying to get that good sear.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
for finishing steaks, i'm committed to using a non-stick instead of cast iron. cast iron emits too much radiated heat (you can feel the difference if you put your finger near the surface) that is less forgiving when you're really trying to get that good sear.

I have done both and I'm not sure there's a noticeable difference for me.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have bought a styrofoam cooler and cut a perfect hole on its lid and in one fell swoop I got a vacuum sealing machine too. This will be sous vide 2.0 for me as I get rid of the stress factors that eventually made me get weary of it. Especially the bother of closing the resealable bags and still be afraid of them opening throughout the cooking. Gonna try up with some frozen pork chops tomorrow.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Cast iron gets really hot and stays really hot, that's why the radiated heat. This helps to keep the high heat for searing, and you can sear multiple items in a row without loss of heat between sears. Nonstick isn't made to be heated as high as cast iron, and it won't retain heat like that. You want really hot for a sear without cooking the inside any more.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Cast iron gets really hot and stays really hot, that's why the radiated heat. This helps to keep the high heat for searing, and you can sear multiple items in a row without loss of heat between sears. Nonstick isn't made to be heated as high as cast iron, and it won't retain heat like that. You want really hot for a sear without cooking the inside any more.

you're right about reheats. it's a tradeoff i'm okay with tho.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I usually cook small portions of steak, but thicker cuts do a better job showing off what sous-vide can accomplish. Here's a sirloin cooked for 129 F for two hours, then briefly seared in a cast iron and basted with browned butter, garlic and thyme (I wish I had remembered to get a pic of the deep brown sear I achieved; oh well)

(served with sweet potato fries and pickled mustard seeds.)

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have to say that the vacuum sealer revealed itself to be an essential addition. Cheap, super easy to use, incredibly neat and practical and kinda revolutionises batch cooking and food keeping. I might not use resealable bags again, that part was so boring and stressful. Besides, the sealer seems to have plenty of uses even aside from sous vide.

The styrofoam box with a perfectly cut hole for the Anova is also cool, albeit unpractical to open and close frequently. But the heat retention is through the roof.

I feel like I'm only a propane torch short now, but I probably won't be able to make that fly around here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have to say that the vacuum sealer revealed itself to be an essential addition. Cheap, super easy to use, incredibly neat and practical and kinda revolutionises batch cooking and food keeping. I might not use resealable bags again, that part was so boring and stressful. Besides, the sealer seems to have plenty of uses even aside from sous vide.

The styrofoam box with a perfectly cut hole for the Anova is also cool, albeit unpractical to open and close frequently. But the heat retention is through the roof.

I feel like I'm only a propane torch short now, but I probably won't be able to make that fly around here.

Which vacuum dealer and bags are you using? I'm considering getting one but the single use bags seem like they'd get expensive quick. On the other hand, using the water displacement method never gets enough of the air out of resealable bags. It has been frustrating so far so I'm looking to see how the costs of a resealer looks.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i got this one and it's pretty good. sometimes i've messed it up tho, so i double-seal a lot. or even double bag if i'm nervous.
https://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10134

having a roll of bags you can custom cut is definitely better than buying ziplocks. it's more prep time than the zippies but best for higher temps.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I did some chicken thigh (skin/bone and all), and messed up the searing process.

Did one side on a cast iron for about 3 min on medium and the skin barely looked crisp at all (it tasted mushy later on). So I upped the heat to high, which got the skin to stick to the (well-oiled, I think) pan. I was able to scrape it off and the skin was very nicely crisp and tasty, but it was a visual disaster. Any tips to not mess it up again? Medium-high? Keep on medium for longer?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So I did some chicken thigh (skin/bone and all), and messed up the searing process.

Did one side on a cast iron for about 3 min on medium and the skin barely looked crisp at all (it tasted mushy later on). So I upped the heat to high, which got the skin to stick to the (well-oiled, I think) pan. I was able to scrape it off and the skin was very nicely crisp and tasty, but it was a visual disaster. Any tips to not mess it up again? Medium-high? Keep on medium for longer?

Probably higher temp for shorter. Medium longer will likely cook the inside too much. So many factors though (type of heat, the pan, chicken thickness, etc). Probably will take a bit playing around.

Oct 27, 2017

Make sure the food is dry before you sear. Pat it down with a kitchen towel to remove the surface moisture. Then into the pan on medium / high. If the surface of the food is too wet it it will just end up boiling the moisture on the surface and stick to the pan.