• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go to 128 if I'm cooking just for me, because I like mine a little more on the rare side, but I was cooking for a ton of family members, many of whom are picky about meat being "underdone," so I went up a bit to be safe.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
125 is cold, unless you're really cooking it when you're searing, which you shouldn't be.

Just use cast iron + torch so no I don't think so. Admittedly I like my medium rare more like in between rare and medium rare but 125 works great every time for me.

I originally went off this comparison by serious eats

Anova-Steak-Guide-Sous-Vide-Photos21-rare-to-well.jpg

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Anova Nano shipped today, should be getting it in a week or two from Hong Kong.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
yesterday was going to be a meatless day cuz I was making a tomato-butter sauce + pasta dish for the kid (she doesn't eat meat) but I'm at the stage of sous vide'er where you find excuses to use your circulator and I picked up a hot italian sausage link on the way out of the store.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a ChefSteps Joule. I'm super excited to get started.

Is a butane torch recommended or will I get by just fine with a cast iron sear?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Just bought a ChefSteps Joule. I'm super excited to get started.

Is a butane torch recommended or will I get by just fine with a cast iron sear?

You'll certainly be fine without a torch but since they're relatively inexpensive I think they're cool to have and they can be useful. Plus you can impress guests with those flame skills.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I made a sous-vide standing rib roast for my family and it turned out great. My brother usually makes it for the family when we are all together but he tends to cook the hell out of it and ends up with only 1 or 2 pieces that are medium rare. I'm now the designated person for prime rib.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I do have some pork chops in the fridge thawing. Gonna have to give it a try.
I personally HATE chicken breasts sous vide style unless they're skin and bone on. Thighs are good though. Breasts just end up having too odd a texture for me in the sous vide. My go to is usually short rib (prefer boneless but also like bone). It's takes a good two days to cook perfectly though. You can do 24hrs in a pinch though and they're still fantastic

Pork chops, virtually any steak, fish are all fantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I personally HATE chicken breasts sous vide style unless they're skin and bone on. Thighs are good though. Breasts just end up having too odd a texture for me in the sous vide. My go to is usually short rib (prefer boneless but also like bone). It's takes a good two days to cook perfectly though. You can do 24hrs in a pinch though and they're still fantastic

The pork rib chops were so good! It was just my first try, but I was pleased it came out tasting so good. I'm going to try a new York strip next and then I'll definitely try a longer cook.

Pictures don't do it justice, but here's how it came out (quoted for hugeness):

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The pork rib chops were so good! It was just my first try, but I was pleased it came out tasting so good. I'm going to try a new York strip next and then I'll definitely try a longer cook.

Pork looks great!

I should add duck breast is amazing and super quick. Personally when I do any beef I put an enormous amount of rub or spices on it but for duck or fish I generally go lighter

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Looks great. Since you're just starting out I also suggest throwing in random shit like veggies in addition to whatever meat you're cooking. If the temps are about the same you can just put the other item/s in sooner. Like when I'm doing chicken I'll just throw a whole tomato or two in, or some carrots or whatever. You can always finish off in the pan if needed when you're searing the meat.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. Since you're just starting out I also suggest throwing in random shit like veggies in addition to whatever meat you're cooking. If the temps are about the same you can just put the other item/s in sooner. Like when I'm doing chicken I'll just throw a whole tomato or two in, or some carrots or whatever. You can always finish off in the pan if needed when you're searing the meat.

We were thinking of trying some asparagus or something. Thanks for the suggestions, my wife was definitely wondering about the veggie capabilities.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

What temperatures have you tried making breasts at?

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I got a sous vide from Prime Day. Can I just use any ziploc bag with it? Also I'm told I need those black paperclips, is that true?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I got a sous vide from Prime Day. Can I just use any ziploc bag with it? Also I'm told I need those black paperclips, is that true?

I wouldn't do the really thin shitty off-brand ziplocks if you're doing high temp food. Get the ones with a slide lock to make it easier. Eventually you should look into a vacuum sealer; you can get them for as little as 30 bucks.

I don't know what the black paper clips are and have never used them so the answer is no you don't need them.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't do the really thin shitty off-brand ziplocks if you're doing high temp food. Get the ones with a slide lock to make it easier. Eventually you should look into a vacuum sealer; you can get them for as little as 30 bucks.

I don't know what the black paper clips are and have never used them so the answer is no you don't need them.

The black paperclips are binder clips. They aren't necessary, but they are useful if you want to be sure that the mouth of the bag is up and out of the water, which is handy if you are using a zip-top bag and want to be absolutely sure no water is going to get in through the zip-top. You just clip the upper part of the bag to the pot. Keeps you from having to fish around in hot water for your bag, too.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
After cancelling my Nano order way back, I finally pulled the trigger on a Like New 800w BT model for $72. Can't wait to try it out and hopefully start eating more at home for lunch.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking good!

I forgot to upload my recent cook.

Here's my setup at work:

Post-sear:

About to eat. These costco steaks are so thick:

It was juicy and delicious. I might have over seasoned a bit, but it was still good. I had some fresh basil in there as well and it was quite nice.

It's time for either some fish or a multi day cook. Haven't decided which yet.

Bonus: I tried my first soft-boiled eggs. Presentation here isn't great, but they turned out pretty good. I think a tad more yolk consistency would be good, but it was yummy. My kids loved them, which is always a plus! And yes, that is some of the leftover steak. It was still super tender and good!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Looking good!

I forgot to upload my recent cook.

Here's my setup at work:

Post-sear:

About to eat. These costco steaks are so thick:

It was juicy and delicious. I might have over seasoned a bit, but it was still good. I had some fresh basil in there as well and it was quite nice.

It's time for either some fish or a multi day cook. Haven't decided which yet.

Bonus: I tried my first soft-boiled eggs. Presentation here isn't great, but they turned out pretty good. I think a tad more yolk consistency would be good, but it was yummy. My kids loved them, which is always a plus! And yes, that is some of the leftover steak. It was still super tender and good!
Is that ramen?

If you use a torch to finish food, don't you miss out on the searing with butter and other various goodies?

Oct 25, 2017
Is that ramen?

If you use a torch to finish food, don't you miss out on the searing with butter and other various goodies?

Yeah, that was rice ramen in a pretty heavy soy sauce base. It tasted better than it looked. Heh.

I haven't torched yet, but if you're seasoning your meat in the bag while it cooks, there's a ton of flavor on the crust already.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
weird. that should've worked. I wonder if your altitude or the quality of eggs had anything to do with it.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
weird. that should've worked. I wonder if your altitude or the quality of eggs had anything to do with it.

Eggs were still within date and I'm only about 900 feet or so. I don't know.

But it takes entirely too long when I can get perfect peeled eggs via my other method in about 15. I'll stick with the better uses. I just thought about making some cool shit while camping.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for regular hard boiled eggs, I don't really see the point. A way to help ensure a firm white is to boil the egg for a few minutes first, then pop it in the sous vide, but what's the point? It was a bit more worth it for soft boiled because that's harder, but yeah.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Just did a top sirloin for my first attempt, and it was amazing. 131.5°F for 50 minutes and finished in the cast iron pan. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. No need for any sauce or butter.

Tomorrow is chicken legs.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
bumping because i got mine on monday (gourmia sous vide pod) from a slickdeal for $60. used twice so far on some steaks and had some good results. question though, how do you determine how long to leave your steaks in? the sousvideeverything yt channel always does his steaks around 2-2.5 hours. all the provided material that came with my sous vide recommends 1 hour for steaks. first steak i did was at 131F for 2 hours, second time using it i did 3 steaks at 130F for one hour. first steak came out pretty good, though i thought it looked just a tad over done. second time all the steaks came out perfect. how long are you guys doing steaks?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Just did some duck breasts for 4 hours at 136. scored and seared skin on a nonstick until crispy. Perfect.

bumping because i got mine on monday (gourmia sous vide pod) from a slickdeal for $60. used twice so far on some steaks and had some good results. question though, how do you determine how long to leave your steaks in? the sousvideeverything yt channel always does his steaks around 2-2.5 hours. all the provided material that came with my sous vide recommends 1 hour for steaks. first steak i did was at 131F for 2 hours, second time using it i did 3 steaks at 130F for one hour. first steak came out pretty good, though i thought it looked just a tad over done. second time all the steaks came out perfect. how long are you guys doing steaks?

I usually do 2 hours per inch of thickness on steaks. I know some do 1 hour per inch but I like the tenderization 2 hours gives. It'll depend on your steak of course, but it shouldn't ever "look more done" at the same temp for that amount of time difference. Might be in your head.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
did kenji's method for sous vide ribs. 24 hours @ 152F. not quite as good as doing it on the smoker, the texture ends up different and I guess that's to be expected. i'm going to mess with it and do it again when ribs go back on sale.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I usually do 2 hours per inch of thickness on steaks. I know some do 1 hour per inch but I like the tenderization 2 hours gives. It'll depend on your steak of course, but it shouldn't ever "look more done" at the same temp for that amount of time difference. Might be in your head.
It very well may have been in my head, and it was my first time using it as well. Still trying to get things dialed in. I'm a NY strip kind of guy while my wife likes well done rib eye so those are the two cuts I'll mainly be doing. Gonna be doing another NY strip tonight

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

You're really not going to change the "doneness" by cooking longer at the same temp, you'll just start to get some of the tenderness and consistency changes. I've done 45 minutes on 1" steaks and they were very red but still done as I expected.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
You're really not going to change the "doneness" by cooking longer at the same temp, you'll just start to get some of the tenderness and consistency changes. I've done 45 minutes on 1" steaks and they were very red but still done as I expected.
so longer cook time = more tender, generally speaking?
What is this horror??
yep, i know. but thats my wife, i tell her all the time. aint no changing her mind. i havent done a well done for her using sous vide yet though.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Girlfriend bought a massive pork butt which we had to split into 3 pieces. First one was at 140 for 24 hours, then 30 mins on gas grill. Had good tenderness and was mostly pink but two issues were at some point it escaped from being weighed down and floated to the top so there was some unevenness in cooking and without being double-bagged a lot of water got inside (and stuff from the bag in the container).

Second one was at 150 for 24 hours and 30 on the grill. This was cooked evenly and still tender but more solid. Double bagged this time and made sure to weigh down properly.

I'm starting the third one tomorrow and will either go back to 140 or maybe try 145, again for 24 hours and again finish on grill.

Will post pics.

Also, I was looking at sous vide weights and god damn - almost $30. Right now we're just using various metal kitchenware stacked on top of the bag lol.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
so longer cook time = more tender, generally speaking?

I'm no expert here, but from what I've had explained to me it can actually get less tender the longer it is in. It's not a linear ratio between time and tender. There is usually a couple hour time frame where it will be great, and then it might get too mushy.

Girlfriend bought a massive pork butt which we had to split into 3 pieces. First one was at 140 for 24 hours, then 30 mins on gas grill. Had good tenderness and was mostly pink but two issues were at some point it escaped from being weighed down and floated to the top so there was some unevenness in cooking and without being double-bagged a lot of water got inside (and stuff from the bag in the container).

Second one was at 150 for 24 hours and 30 on the grill. This was cooked evenly and still tender but more solid. Double bagged this time and made sure to weigh down properly.

I'm starting the third one tomorrow and will either go back to 140 or maybe try 145, again for 24 hours and again finish on grill.

Will post pics.

Also, I was looking at sous vide weights and god damn - almost $30. Right now we're just using various metal kitchenware stacked on top of the bag lol.

The trick is to vacuum seal, or really get as much air out as possible. That will solve the floating issues for free. Air is the buoyant.