• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have room to clip the bags around the edge of the vessel to keep them clear of the intake?

You could certainly cook them in waves and then bring to temperature before searing.
I was using the displacement method, but I do wonder if I vacuum seal them if that might allow me to hang it near the device but above it.

anyways, my reheat test is a mixed success.
it's still better than if I had just pan fried this steak, but it's not nearly as good as doing it the moment I finished it via sous vide the first time.
I let it reheat at 135 for like 30 minutes... but still just has a bit of a feel/taste that it's be reheated.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was using the displacement method, but I do wonder if I vacuum seal them if that might allow me to hang it near the device but above it.

anyways, my reheat test is a mixed success.
it's still better than if I had just pan fried this steak, but it's not nearly as good as doing it the moment I finished it via sous vide the first time.
I let it reheat at 135 for like 30 minutes... but still just has a bit of a feel/taste that it's be reheated.

What sort of vessel are you doing the cook in?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Large stock pot right now, I should likely obtain a rectangular plastic container sometime.

I still need to buy a Cambro...in the meanwhile, I use an Igloo Playmate and it works quite well.

If you've got a cooler, you should give it a whirl. The insulation means the circulator doesn't have to work as hard to maintain temperature.

The circulator itself should be able to handle anything up to five gallons (25 qts).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to buy a Cambro...in the meanwhile, I use an Igloo Playmate and it works quite well.

If you've got a cooler, you should give it a whirl. The insulation means the circulator doesn't have to work as hard to maintain temperature.
I honestly can't remember if I still have a cooler downstairs or not. but that is a good idea.
If I don't I can likely get one from work without to much trouble.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't remember if I still have a cooler downstairs or not. but that is a good idea.
If I don't I can likely get one from work without to much trouble.

That should give you enough volume to do all your steaks at once!

I also recommend Kenji's finishing method: as you finish searing each steak, let it rest on a rack over a deep tray until all the steaks are seared. Then, reheat the pan drippings until they are smoking hot and pour over the steaks to re-crisp. Serve immediately.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That should give you enough volume to do all your steaks at once!

I also recommend Kenji's finishing method: as you finish searing each steak, let it rest on a rack over a deep tray until all the steaks are seared. Then, reheat the pan drippings until they are smoking hot and pour over the steaks to re-crisp. Serve immediately.
also a good idea.

sadly I don't have my cooler anymore so I will have to look into it. I do seem to have something similar to https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-19...208464&sr=8-10&keywords=28L+storage+container though. So I wonder if I can't use that at like 60% filled, but at that point I don't know if my steaks will be fully submerged. (I would like something shorter and longer I think aka what a cooler often will be)

I suppose I could maybe go a bit more water if I did something like wrapped it in a blanket to keep it more insulated?

I do like the idea of letting the steak drip and heating that up though. especially if I took the juices that were in my bag and heated those up as well.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think mine arrived in the mail today (Anova, but not a nano).

Any advice for first steak?
131.5f length depends on cut and size. I like to add some fresh Thyme, Rosemary, onion and garlic powder and a little pad of butter. But you can also just do a little onion and garlic power rubbed into the steak and some black pepper too if you don't want to go overboard.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
131.5f length depends on cut and size. I like to add some fresh Thyme, Rosemary, onion and garlic powder and a little pad of butter. But you can also just do a little onion and garlic power rubbed into the steak and some black pepper too if you don't want to go overboard.
I'm just rolling with kosher salt and black pepper right now. I will have to play with some of that stuff later :P
So it's just length, not temp that adjusts based on thickness yeah?

as far as I have read yes.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
as far as I have read yes.

this is correct.
for instance, chefsteps has their fave temp for steak at 129F.
then there's the thickness options:
1/2": 30 minutes
3/4": 45
1": 1 hr
1 1/2": 1 hr 30m

and same temp for frozen, but more time:
1/2": 45m
3/4": 1 hr 10m
1": 1 hr 30m
1 1/2": 2 hr 15m

all of these will end up med-rare

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
this is correct.
for instance, chefsteps has their fave temp for steak at 129F.
then there's the thickness options:
1/2": 30 minutes
3/4": 45
1": 1 hr
1 1/2": 1 hr 30m

and same temp for frozen, but more time:
1/2": 45m
3/4": 1 hr 10m
1": 1 hr 30m
1 1/2": 2 hr 15m

all of these will end up med-rare
that's neat info.
I was also reading https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#thick
which the part that interested me the most was the changes between 2,4 and 24 hours on a steak.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Sous vide pork belly with maple syrup inside the bag and (167 degrees for 24 hours :)) you'll have the greatest maple glazed bacon you've ever tasted. Cut it nice and thick and let it get crispy, ot fry it if you dare.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Been using the water displacement method but I am a bit tired of weighing down the bag. Been thinking of buying an vacuum sealer, any real reason to buy one of the pricier models or are the cheaper ones basically good enough?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been using the water displacement method but I am a bit tired of weighing down the bag. Been thinking of buying an vacuum sealer, any real reason to buy one of the pricier models or are the cheaper ones basically good enough?

If you have the money and the space, a chamber sealer is superior. Otherwise an inexpensive Food Saver should be fine.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had some Txogitxu Txuleton yesterday (54c, seared and butter basted in iron pan).

Have to say I am a bit disappointed. After all the things I have read, I expected a bit more.
Would rate the John Stone beef I had before just as good if not even better (was some time ago). Not to mention the Australian Wagyu, which was way more impressive.

The beef was good, just complaining on a high level.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So, Nano or the prior Bluetooth model? Seems like the Nano is going to replace it, and currently both are $80. Not sure if that's a sale or a price drop.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i think i am going to get a searzall soon. there is nothing stopping me, except that i've wanted to have the extra cash to get one for a long time, now i do, and i can just end that right now. but then what will i do?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
i think i am going to get a searzall soon. there is nothing stopping me, except that i've wanted to have the extra cash to get one for a long time, now i do, and i can just end that right now. but then what will i do?

you'll custom sear and toast things with a blowtorch. that's what you'll do.

TBH I rarely use mine. decided I prefer a quick hot sear on the grill or cast iron, since it's faster.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
So the old one is better? Only thing keeping me from picking one up is I think they have gone cheaper, and I'm not in a hurry.

it heats more water and faster, and you can put it into custom cut holes since you can remove the clamp. They're both bluetooth only.

The only benefit of the nano, IMO, is that it's cheaper. And smaller, I guess.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Anyone done a boneless leg of lamb? I'm looking to do one for thanksgiving (something new besides turkey!) and am going to give it a trial run with salt, pepper, rosemary, and minced garlic @ 135°f for 6-8 hours.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about doing my first long cook tonight. Country style ribs at 150 for 24 hours.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
that sounds like it's gonna be great and now i want to do that. it's apparently national pork month.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i usually do rice with pork. not for any particular reason. and some veg, whatever's on sale/in season.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone done a boneless leg of lamb? I'm looking to do one for thanksgiving (something new besides turkey!) and am going to give it a trial run with salt, pepper, rosemary, and minced garlic @ 135°f for 6-8 hours.

I have, and it's amazing. Be sure to grill or sear it afterward to get a nice crust.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
bought some ribeye steaks from sam's. actually used a cast iron skillet this time since i was just being lazy. other times i would use broil on a toaster oven, or induction but realized it only goes up to 460F lol.

but YESH. it came out great (medium rare) other than i got too excited with the salt lol

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did some sirloin steak at 128F. It was perfectly pink how I wanted it, but was a bit tough. Is it because sirloin is tougher? So, leave it longer in the sousvide?

Abyss

Oct 27, 2017
Ah cool didn't know there was a thread for this. I recently got a second hand anova haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but I was wondering what type of vessel I should use? Would a simple plastic four quart container work? Also any recommendation for a food sealer would be great thanks

Got a piece of London broil and trying to figure out whether sous vide it or throw it in to the crockpot with some veggies. I usually sear with cast iron on portable gas stove outside, but we got some nasty weather the next two days and I'm not sure if I'm up to it.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
finished a 24hr chuck roast tonight. slightly dry, i didn't salt it ahead of time. still had a good beefy flavor and the fat parts were breaking down into deliciousness when cut into smaller bites.

Got a piece of London broil and trying to figure out whether sous vide it or throw it in to the crockpot with some veggies. I usually sear with cast iron on portable gas stove outside, but we got some nasty weather the next two days and I'm not sure if I'm up to it.

I like to do 7 hr london broil. salt, lots of pepper, maybe some garlic powder & worcestershire.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Ah cool didn't know there was a thread for this. I recently got a second hand anova haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but I was wondering what type of vessel I should use? Would a simple plastic four quart container work? Also any recommendation for a food sealer would be great thanks
Food saver if you want to vacuum it. Otherwise a ziplock with water displacement will work just fine. I just used the largest pot I had for a long time, but I recently purchased a large rectangular, plastic food grade storage thing to cook in. It's nice.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Turkey Breast @ 145 for 3 hrs and finished under the broiler has produced the juiciest turkey I've ever had. It left me stunned. Highly recommended.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Guys and Gals, i plan to buy my first sous vide on Amazon. Which is the best one to get?