• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably had about 6 or so hours in total. Shame the Alpha has finished now. Roll on the VIP access etc.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
My experience ( and a few bunch from the Destiny Era) of Anthem PC was frustrating. Loading! Loading, Loading and loading was the main feature of the game.

Disclaimer: Fully aware that this is is using an old build and that we are a couple months from release and on the "polishing stage"

Pre-ordered cancelled.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
My experience ( and a few bunch from the Destiny Era) of Anthem PC was frustrating. Loading! Loading, Loading and loading was the main feature of the game.

Disclaimer: Fully aware that this is is using an old build and that we are a couple months from release and on the "polishing stage"

Pre-ordered cancelled.
I assume that is something that can be greatly improved. Alpha code will just not bother with that most of the time. When I work on a game, these kind of optimizations are the last on my list (unless open world streaming is a requirement).

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
To people asking if it was good or not:

I have a friend who played the game. He says that outside of the visual flair, he can see the game getting stale fast. It is very "safe". He also said he was disappointed that a AAA rpg dev didnt make an rpg. There are no builds, and the skill "tree" that is there is wack. No dialogue options either. It's about as rpg as destiny is. He also added the comment "YIKES" after that part.

He says the game is like ME without the rpg parts of it. So basically a weak shooter. He says he knows it is an alpha, but he doesnt feel that there is much more the game could offer.

Also, after he said all that, he said that this was all "hypothetical" in that he may or may not have played the game sorta maybe kinda almost partially a little bit infinite fully super confirmed secured not really.

It was really weird how he just came out and said all that without me asking him. He is weird af.

Anyways, ive played it and im keeping my personal mouth shut.

Didn't get to play it but this has my friend worried too, what little *skill tree* there is its all meaningless with 5% more X when doing this or 2% more when doing Y nothing amazing or different at least in this version of the game no way to build a unique Javelin play style.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Didn't get to play it but this has my friend worried too, what little *skill tree* there is its all meaningless with 5% more X when doing this or 2% more when doing Y nothing amazing or different at least in this version of the game no way to build a unique Javelin play style.
That skill tree is just the Pilot skills though that work for all Javelins. The actual Javelin customization and abilities and such come with finding the gear for the Javelins and equipping it, thereby changing what they can do.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
I assume that is something that can be greatly improved. Alpha code will just not bother with that most of the time. When I work on a game, these kind of optimizations are the last on my list (unless open world streaming is a requirement).

I have an extensive list of topics that would need attention. Some tied to being a alpha version so they might have fixed it already, others tied to how they designed the squad system, others tied to matchmaking and how might affect the longevity of the game. Will post it on their forum. Hopefully all of them are addressed by the time the game is out.

One thing is certain. The small part of the world we had access is pretty and engaging for 1st time explorers. Hopefully they keep it alive with some sort of events, treasure hunts or activities.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Alpha/beta/demo can give you impressions about control, graphics, core gameplay but I think in games like Destiny, The Division and Anthem endgame is also very important. Endgame and future updates. And alpha can't give you impressions about that.

Do we know if open beta will use same client or it's safe to delete it?

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Each javelin has unique skills and they have strengths/weaknesses to fit your playstyle. You can also use different skills to form different types of combos like in the ME games. I'm sure things like weapons/gear will have unique perks on them, and know some javelins can only use certain weapons - Colossus and Ranger can only use Heavy machine guns, etc., I hope their is unique weapons that only one type of javelin can use though.

They're supposed to be talking about loot/progression this week.

Alpha/beta/demo can give you impressions about control, graphics, core gameplay but I think in games like Destiny, The Division and Anthem endgame is also very important. Endgame and future updates. And alpha can't give you impressions about that.

Yea how they handle the end game, is pretty much my only big concern left. Hopefully they talk about it soon, that and their road map post release.

B-Man

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha thanks for the answer guys. It seems silly that just people also seemingly walking on a tight rope just when saying it's good or not good, it's not like i ask for detailed breakthrough or anything like that.

Well can't fault folks for being careful I guess.

Anyways, it's between this or Division 2 for me. This because this is Bioware, and Division 2 because... well, I really adore Division 1.
I LOVED Division 1 too, played it (PvE) since release until The Division 2 was announced and got some shields too. That's how much i loved and enjoyed it.
All i can say is: After playing the alpha, If i can spare 60$ and i know that at release there will be enough interesting "end game" for me, i'll pre-order Anthem NOW

OP
OP
Deleted member 11093

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

JvaMU7B.png

Bioware developer on discord.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

My friend says he especially agrees with the bolded part.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, as people were saying, with the alpha build there was no way to customize anything in reality. I won't go into it for obvious reasons. But you were stuck with one kit.

Glad to see elemental combos carried over from ME days though :D

B-Man

Oct 27, 2017
Are people accessing the Alpha forums with no issues? i've tried everything to access them but failed.
I'd really love to give some feedback to the team!

B-Man

Oct 27, 2017
If you got access to the alpha, you should be able to access the Alpha forums.
I did get access to the alpha but not the forums, tried their troubleshooting guide (Log out, clear cookies) but still can't access the forums
Oh well, i'll do the feedback write-up on notepad or something then post it there if i could get the access

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
To people asking if it was good or not:

I have a friend who played the game. He says that outside of the visual flair, he can see the game getting stale fast. It is very "safe". He also said he was disappointed that a AAA rpg dev didnt make an rpg. There are no builds, and the skill "tree" that is there is wack. No dialogue options either. It's about as rpg as destiny is. He also added the comment "YIKES" after that part.

He says the game is like ME without the rpg parts of it. So basically a weak shooter. He says he knows it is an alpha, but he doesnt feel that there is much more the game could offer.

Also, after he said all that, he said that this was all "hypothetical" in that he may or may not have played the game sorta maybe kinda almost partially a little bit infinite fully super confirmed secured not really.

It was really weird how he just came out and said all that without me asking him. He is weird af.

Anyways, ive played it and im keeping my personal mouth shut.

It's not trying to be an rpg.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I did get access to the alpha but not the forums, tried their troubleshooting guide (Log out, clear cookies) but still can't access the forums
Oh well, i'll do the feedback write-up on notepad or something then post it there if i could get the access
If you want to, I will post on the forums for you.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I have an extensive list of topics that would need attention. Some tied to being a alpha version so they might have fixed it already, others tied to how they designed the squad system, others tied to matchmaking and how might affect the longevity of the game. Will post it on their forum. Hopefully all of them are addressed by the time the game is out.

One thing is certain. The small part of the world we had access is pretty and engaging for 1st time explorers. Hopefully they keep it alive with some sort of events, treasure hunts or activities.
Well I can't comment since I have no idea what you are talking about ;)

No seriously, I am sure they took notes of the feedback, they still have quite some time to tweak stuff and fix issues.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Delete it. These beta things have rarely re-used the old client.

Anyway... Endgame is indeed a VERY big issue for games like this. I hope they manage to nail it. I guess we will find out in a few months. This was one of my big gripes with Destiny, the endgame was absolutely dire (IMHO).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
But i see the map and the scale...

The only concern I've had (based on publicly available video and discussion) and likely will have (aside from endgame) is whether the map will include a variety of biomes or whether we have to wait for those in content releases. I think the anthem/shaper lore gives them an excuse to change the map/area, but that (of course) remains to be seen.

Seems like the demo will be restrictive too. Or it's just the same as this closed alpha.

Good. Last thing I want/need is for this to be another Sea of Thieves situation lol.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So some quick questions to make sure I'm not crazy here. Without going into too much detail, I got into the Alpha and I played what amounted to be a tutorial and then a story mission. Right after the story mission I got a big "ANTHEM" logo and the game just quit to desktop. Was that the whole thing? Or did it crash on me? I just kinda assumed it was everything, but I see people mentioning skill trees and being able to explore and stuff.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The only concern I've had (based on publicly available video and discussion) and likely will have (aside from endgame) is whether the map will include a variety of biomes or whether we have to wait for those in content releases. I think the anthem/shaper lore gives them an excuse to change the map/area, but that (of course) remains to be seen.

Good. Last thing I want/need is for this to be another Sea of Thieves situation lol.

There wont be any desert or snow biome. I think the jungle is the only one at launch :(

They said it in the gameinformer video.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Based on other peoples comments about what was in, and NOT in, the Alpha, I think it will be very difficult to judge the final game. It sounds like you could get a good feel for basic movement and combat, which people really seemed to enjoy, but no idea on mission variety, interestingness of loot, complexity of end-game missions etc.

My takeaway from the whole thread is a very high level of interest in the Beta/Demo, and assuming that goes ok, then *probably* buy it for day 1 release.

We won't really know about the game until 4 or 5 days after launch, assuming that's when the streamders, finish their grinds and hit "end game".

As context, people still can't decide if Destiny is a good game, even though the original spanned 3 years, and the numbered sequel is in year 2.

So some quick questions to make sure I'm not crazy here. Without going into too much detail, I got into the Alpha and I played what amounted to be a tutorial and then a story mission. Right after the story mission I got a big "ANTHEM" logo and the game just quit to desktop. Was that the whole thing? Or did it crash on me? I just kinda assumed it was everything, but I see people mentioning skill trees and being able to explore and stuff.
According to other people, and definitely not me, after the story mission it unlocks free-roam mode. You can basically go out into the world and fly about, doing random world events. So you missed some stuff :-(

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Based on other peoples comments about what was in, and NOT in, the Alpha, I think it will be very difficult to judge the final game. It sounds like you could get a good feel for basic movement and combat, which people really seemed to enjoy, but no idea on mission variety, interestingness of loot, complexity of end-game missions etc.

My takeaway from the whole thread is a very high level of interest in the Beta/Demo, and assuming that goes ok, then *probably* buy it for day 1 release.

We won't really know about the game until 4 or 5 days after launch, assuming that's when the streamders, finish their grinds and hit "end game".

As context, people still can't decide if Destiny is a good game, even though the original spanned 3 years, and the numbered sequel is in year 2.

According to other people, and definitely not me, after the story mission it unlocks free-roam mode. You can basically go out into the world and fly about, doing random world events. So you missed some stuff :-(

Destiny as a franchise has had fantastic gameplay with a very mixed bag endgame. I happen to like the game and the endgame but I can understand why others with more or less playing time find it frustrating. The lack of matchmaking is also problematic for folks who are playing solo or don't want to interact with others. The expectation is that these games will take up the bulk of your gaming time and there constantly needs to be compelling endgame content which is incredibly hard to do.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
There wont be any desert or snow biome. I think the jungle is the only one at launch :(

They said it in the gameinformer video.

If true, then my only concern is timing. Based on what we've seen in various E3 videos and whatnot, I like the design a ton. Seems like they really emphasized scale and verticality, which is different than pretty much...every game of its type?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny as a franchise has had fantastic gameplay with a very mixed bag endgame. I happen to like the game and the endgame but I can understand why others with more or less playing time find it frustrating. The lack of matchmaking is also problematic for folks who are playing solo or don't want to interact with others. The expectation is that these games will take up the bulk of your gaming time and there constantly needs to be compelling endgame content which is incredibly hard to do.
Especially when you don't create a loop for said content with scalibility, builds/combination and other things thay are tenants of the loop/grind in ARPG's. Destiny opted for a joint PVE, PVP and Raid type structure which has some benefits. But I'd argue more drawbacks the positives.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Especially when you don't create a loop for said content with scalibility, builds/combination and other things thay are tenants of the loop/grind in ARPG's. Destiny opted for a joint PVE, PVP and Raid type structure which has some benefits. But I'd argue more drawbacks the positives.

How many of Destiny's issues are solved by having matchmaking for all activities, a set squad number for all activities, and separate balancing for PVE and PVP?

A lot, no?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
But i see the map and the scale...
Seems pretty big to me. We could explore, what, a quarter? A third? Of which there was plenty of space. And that's just the topography. There is also verticality to consider, and the fact that this game is probably less focused on the open world like RDR2 - more focused on repeatable end game activities.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
An Arctic environment would be really cool especially with Frostbite powering the game. Frost is one of the elements in the game. It would really make it feel like lost planet. Perhaps it could be added content later.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Excited to see the loot/endgame details. It's the only aspect of the game I still need to see after this weekend.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Played till the servers shut off at 2am pdt

They did some crazy sht right before they kicked us lol

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Emails for closed alpha survey are being sent out, check yours.
Make your opinion count!
The Community Playtesting Team at EA would like to thank you for participating in the Anthem Closed Alpha.

How you feel about Anthem matters to us! If you have opinions and thoughts to share, we would like to hear from you. You can complete our survey to let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

Interested in participating in future playtests? Keep an eye out for future communications.