• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Remember when the ex bioware dev came out and said yea EA only cares about games they can monetize and he wasn't surprised at Visceral's closing? (if you don't, here https://gamingbolt.com/former-bioware-developer-speaks-out-against-eas-monetization-policies)

Well we have a current Bioware dev, Brenon Holmes, who's actually working on Anthem, responding to reddit concerns ("Worried About the Potential For Toxic "Loot Box" Economy in Anthem"):
I hear you. We're talking a fair bit about this at the moment. I can't really talk about it too much, but it's an ongoing discussion.

And if it helps at all, we're gamers too. :) A bunch of folks on the team have similar positions on monetization... so that perspective is definitely represented.

When asked for his personal thoughts on the "worst form of monetization he's seen", his reply was:
I think it has more to do with the philosophy around it, the first thing that most people do is look at the value of the "sweat currency" as compared to the premium currency.

Personally I prefer games where the ratio is somewhat reasonable... ie: I can reasonably acquire currencies to purchase things through regular play.

Personally, I also don't like it when some things are only available for premium purchase.

both quotes are taken from this reddit page here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...xic_loot_box/dobwkz8/?st=j9oy6am9&sh=9627d65a

Personally, I don't see a world in which the suits at EA let us just enjoy Anthem for what it can be, and expect a heavy MT presence, regardless of what the devs say, because at the end of the day, it isn't up to them. I have a small sliver of hope, because Anthem is easily the most anticipated game for me since I first saw The Witcher 3 and I have extremely high hopes for this game. I'm only setting myself up to be crushed, but I don't care. I'm all in at this point.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This game is the perfect MT and expansion filled game for EA. Moreso than any DICE game. Speaking of which doesn't NFS have 0 MTS?

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that they'll carbon copy Destiny's bright engram set-up where you only get cosmetic stuff (or the occasional legendary that's pretty okay once you boost its lightl)

This game is the perfect MT and expansion filled game for EA. Moreso than any DICE game. Speaking of which doesn't NFS have 0 MTS?

The new Need for Speed has a ton of MTs. You can use real money to buy the Speed Points which can purchase lootboxes, or you can grind to obtain Speed Points in game. However, there's a 30 minute refresh timer for the in-game currency purchased stuff. The lootboxes can contain fast cars.

nfs.jpg

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah no. EA will try to go full Battlefront 2 beta with the loot boxes and then only dial it back when people complain.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"We are gamers we think the same" doesn't matter because at the end of the day it's an EA decision.

Last edited:

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny 2 loot boxes are completely harmless and pointless, so hopefully they will take notes and not tie progression with loot boxes.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way this game doesn't get riddled with lootcrates and micro-transactions if EA plans for this to be their Destiny equivalent.

Like, it's nice to hear a dev say, "We're gamers too." But at the end of the day, they're getting paid to make the game the way the people at the top see fit.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yeah, an extremely hedgy statement from a dev does not inspire much confidence. EA will smell the money and fuck this up for sure.

I just hope I can reasonably enjoy Anthem PVE on my own or as a two man crew with my brother .... I don't see myself playing much PVP so I hope the inevitable shittiness won't affect me.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be naive. Unless law will prevent this by the time this game comes out, there will totally be loot boxes and microtransactions. Wether or not that will effect game design, we'll see.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
No matter how good the team intentions, EA won't give a damn at the end.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I read this as saying "the amount of work you will have to put into this game to enjoy it will be acceptable". Which is mad.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
In the end it will be riddled with micro transactions/lootboxes in all possibly shapes. It is EA.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he's doing his best to dance around saying that EA get the final word and that's the end of it, so you can be assured they'll be present, despite the fact Anthem is an unproven IP

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What they think is irrelevant with a publisher like EA pulling the strings in the end.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Didn't say anything substantial. It's not really his say either, I'm pretty sure lootboxes and mts will be forced into the game by EA. Fingers crossed they keep it reasonable.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
So basically please don't hate us when we are forced to pack this game to the brim with micro transactions. I'm hoping they at least manage to make the system tolerable.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is gonna loot box a game its gonna be EA with Anthem. Lol im not expecting anything less.

Still pretty excited for it though... other than giant expansions on most modern games (fallout expansions, diablo expansions, ffxiv expansions), ive yet to spend on junk boxes and mts, not even cosmetics.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem will 100% have lootbox-esque microtransactions. Devs don't really have a say in this when dealing with AAA games.

We gotta deal with this model now. I personally don't do lootbox games anymore, but the vast majority of the consumer base will.

I will avatar bet that Anthem has loot boxes or an analogue that is effectively the same. It's not even a fair bet, really.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of folks on the team have similar positions on monetization... so that perspective is definitely represented.

I bet a majority of developers would say the same. I wonder if they hire people specifically to weigh in on MTs, loot box drop rates, and monetary outcomes. He plays the wording pretty smart: he softly presents his views on the subject, makes zero guarantees, but says he wants what is best for everyone. It's like customer service 101. That's not to say he's wrong or he's bad. I believe he does feel this way and he wants these things.

Anyway- I'm pretty sure the publisher footing your paycheck will be making those decisions, bud. MTs are guaranteed in this game. How bad they will be is something we'll be waiting for. I look forward to the Jimquisition on it next year.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Even if what he says is true, and I believe it probably is, it is irrelevant. Devs won't have a say in this, and we should expect only 1 thing from EA.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Reminds me of Kotaku's visceral exposé where an EA exec once ignored all Hennig's story telling/theme/tone presentation and said "FUT makes a billion dollars, where's your version of that?".

EA dgaf how much the actual devs may want to have reasonable microtransactions. I suspect anthem will be riddled with them and it'll always piss some people off.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I hear you. We're talking a fair bit about this at the moment. I can't really talk about it too much, but it's an ongoing discussion.

And if it helps at all, we're gamers too. :) A bunch of folks on the team have similar positions on monetization... so that perspective is definitely represented.

this sounds like a number of people don't want it but the still talking about part means they really have no final say otherwise the discussion would be over already

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
This is EA. Anthem will be stuffed with lootboxes. The dev won't get any say in it.

Do you expect any less from EA?

I mean, really?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Between Battlefront 2 and other recent games setting a clear precedent for how invasive lootboxes can get any excitement I have for this game has totally waned, I fully expect progression to be tied up in lootboxes for Anthem.

Brenon Holmes saying:
A bunch of folks on the team have similar positions on monetization... so that perspective is definitely represented.

Means little especially since Manveer Heir in the waypoint podcast which is the source for the original article mentions being critical of many of ME:A's choices but largely being ignored. Whether the perspective is represented is pretty moot as it won't make a difference.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's EA. They're releasing an Online focused AAA big budget new IP. It's going to be disgustingly filled with pre-order DLC, retailer exclusive DLC, Season pass, premium edition, MTX, loot box and other sorts of monetization. And it certainly won't all be cosmetic or expansion type content additions. Doesn't mean the game has no potential to be have the fun and quality aspects outweigh that, I personally think it will, but don't expect a straight up simple single edition all-inclusive release of the game.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figure it will have them regardless. There's no way it won't. I don't care though as long as the game is good and they aren't completely ridiculous.

I still hope they're being heavily influenced by Destiny. I'd love a Destiny done right game.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The folks making the game may well be fans as well and not want loot boxes, but let's be honest. It's not their say.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I read this as saying "the amount of work you will have to put into this game to enjoy it will be acceptable". Which is mad.
Likewise. It doesn't read as "the game will play the same, we've just got an option to speed it up for people with little free time that want to keep up with their friends" as microtransactions used to be presented, "somewhat reasonable" reads more like "we're making the grind just tolerable enough that you won't feel the need to complain".

Deleted member 433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the Devs are fighting our corner, cosmetics only please.

After the mass effect situation, maybe just maybe EA will surprise us on this one and try to earn that respect back.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
"ongoing discussion" and "perspective is definitely represented" reads like it's already planned to be MT hell.

Games like these don't have microtransactions added late in development. This was designed from ground up to be GaaS with MT focus.

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the developer weighing in. But it's not really the developers' decision right? Ultimately EA says, "we want games that will make us the most money, so do that" and then they have to put them in the game? I mean it even works out for the devs too, everyone gets more money because there's more being made from live service type games.

I can understand why these companies do this from a business perspective. But it still sucks from a consumer perspective. Sucks real bad. The whole game design changes and has to be warped around these systems.