• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 191 17.8%
  • Colossus

Votes: 253 23.5%
  • Storm

Votes: 366 34.0%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
UPDATE WITH DATES AND INFO FOR UPCOMING DEMOS:

demotest7efq3.png

The VIP Demo from January 25 to 27 is open to anyone with an Anthem pre-order, and is also open to Xbox One players with EA Access and PC players with Origin Basic or Origin Premier. The Open Demo from February 1 to 3 is open to all players on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

So far, we have the following facts about the demo:
  • Will put players at around level 10-15
  • Progress from the demos will not carry over to the full game
  • Will allow players to experience a variety of content, including missions, contracts, Fort Tarsis (single player hub area), and strongholds.
  • Players will start as the Ranger and can choose to try other javelins later

----------------------- Original Post -----------------------​

Anthem discussion seems to be drastically lacking on the forum, but I have noticed that there is still a smattering of people who are really interested in the game. I thought I would put together this thread to be a central location for discussion of the game's marketing, development, mechanics, livestreams, and more.

BioWare-Anthem-EVERYTHING-YOU-NEED-TO-KNOW.jpg

What is Anthem?

Anthem is an upcoming online "loot shooter" developed by Bioware. In the game, you play as a exosuit pilot living in a human settlement on an alien planet. The planet is also home to a variety of creatures, enemy human factions, hostile alien races, as well as larger, more mysterious forces. The planet was abandoned by its "gods", the Shapers, some sort of higher beings that were using massive machinery and advanced technology to terraform the world, but then disappeared for unknown reasons with the job only half-done. Their technology still remains scattered across the landscape, wreaking havoc, causing earthquakes and cyclones, and providing a tantalizing source of power for those factions who dare to attempt to harness it.

Within this world, you take the role of a freelancer, donning a power suit to take on missions and tasks beyond the walls of your settlement, Fort Tarsis. There are four types of powersuits, or Javelins, available, the Ranger, Colossus, Storm, and Interceptor. Each suit has slots for different types of gear, weapons, and abilities. Your play style can vary greatly depending on the Javelin and gear loadout that you choose.

800px-Four-Javelins.png

How do gear and loot work?

This seems to be a commonly occurring question, so I'll foreground some info here on how loot works in the game. The best resource for understanding how gear, loot, loadouts, and builds work in the game is the gear-focused livestream video:

GEAR, LOOT, AND PROGRESSION

You can also check out this explainer on MMORPG.com, excerpted here, for a written overview of what was covered in the video, (thanks to @texhnolyze for recommending this):
Both your character (Pilot) and items will have levels in Anthem and these items will be split across five different hardpoints on your Javelin. Some aspects of the game will also be gated by your Pilot level. One example given was that while you can equip two weapons at a time in Anthem, you won't be able to do this until you reach Pilot level four. Gear score is also a thing in Anthem and it works by simply adding up all the power levels of your individual pieces of gear.

What does the gameplay look like?

Here are some livestreams and other videos that can give you a look at the core gameplay. The first video is a more polished "vertical slice" style video that was released after E3; the second and third videos are more recent livestreams hosted by Bioware developers to give extended looks at different facets of the game:

E3 2018 GAMEPLAY DEMO SHOWCASING THE COLOSSUS

ALPHA GAMEPLAY STORM SHOWCASE

INTERCEPTOR AND STRONGHOLD (DUNGEON) GAMEPLAY SHOWCASE

Quote this post to get access to the FreelancERA Discord:
Discord link changed. For anyone interested in joining the FreelancERA Discord : [Hidden content]

Last edited by a moderator:

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
So I haven't been following the game too much other than a quick livestream peek like once. How would you say this game differentiates itself from other loot shooters like Destiny in terms of the core focus? Is it the story? Or is it its exploration? Or gameplay mechanics?

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I haven't been following the game too much other than a quick livestream peek like once. How would you say this game differentiates itself from other loot shooters like Destiny in terms of the core focus? Is it the story? Or is it its exploration? Or gameplay mechanics?
I've never played Destiny, so I perhaps other people can answer your question more thoroughly. But I would say the most obvious difference is the core gameplay. Mobility and traversal are much different in Anthem since everyone has the ability to fly and hover, and also the third person perspective is a major departure. The game is PVE only too, which allows for a much different balance compared to a game like Destiny that needs to account for PVP. I've heard people say the loot system is completely different too, and Anthem's system is much closer to something like Diablo, but I can't really speak with much authority there either. There is also matchmaking for all content.

Honestly I think the similarities to Desitiny are limited to the overall structures of the gameplay and progression. The particular mechanics, balance, world design, lore etc are all a lot different.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing alot more hype on youtube, mainly from the crowd that already likes loot-based shooters. Seems like reception has gone from lukewarm to optimistic since the first trailer though, and I'm happy to see how much gameplay they're showing us

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interceptor gameplay from earlier today is cool. Wasn't expecting a class that aggressively built for melee. So far the guns used look kinda anemic and the gunplay is super standard for the most part. This is one of those games you have to get your hands on to really judge it IMO. I'm interested enough to try a demo or beta down the road.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, it looks cool.

But on the other - I play Warframe.

It's not a drive-by shitpost. Everytime I play Warframe lately I think "okay, why would I even want Anthem". Amazing combat (this is the only grindy game where grind or even waiting for crafting doesn't bother me at all because of how I enjoy the combat), great world/look, the need for sci-fi looter/action game fulfilled.

But I gonna play the demo ofc. I want to see if you really can spec as a tank or support.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I heard nothing but positive things from people who actually played he game.

The EA side of things is concerning though. That company is horrible this gen.

FuzzySlippers

Feb 13, 2018
The player looks more like a mech than Destiny/Warframe. Is there any visible equipment changing? The preview I briefly watched highlighted equipment tweaking that wasn't visible but I wasn't sure if there was other equipment. Screwing around with your fashion is usually something fun in a MMO-ish game (like Destiny) so seems a shame if you can only clank around as one of the class armors.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I am definitely interested in the game, but it's just too soon for me to get 'hyped' about it. I just hope the missions are not as boring as Destiny.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
From what a played it's going to be great. It's by far the best combat biowares has ever made, taking the best of ME:A and making it better with freaking jet packs. I only got to play as the boring standard class, the intercepter looks amazing.

Level design, mission design and content will be the deciding factor if this is destiny level or not. I doubt they will ever match the raids of destiny but the story should be much better.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
In terms of the core focus, its actually not ENTIRELY all that different. There will be a campaign that introduces you to the game with the ultimate focus being the endgame which like Destiny, focuses on acquiring the best possible gear from very high difficulty activities.

The gameplay mechanics certainly are a HUGE difference as compared to Destiny. Destiny is first and foremost a shooter with the ability to choose one of three classes. You're LOCKED into that class and the only way to play the other classes is to make another character. Where as in Anthem, you make one Pilot and that pilot can choose between the 4 different suits or "Javelins" at will. The javelins each occupy a specific archetype but with gear, you can customize that archetype even further to be the playstyle that you prefer. For example, I'm going to be making the Ranger (which is the jack of all trades Javelin) as a support character with abilities that helps teammates and sets up enemies for awesome combos, and my Colossus (which is the tanky one) as a beefy close range tank. But other people will gear those same Javelins COMPLETELY differently.

There is also the flight mechanic which adds a COMPLETELY new layer of verticality to the game, both for exploration and combat/level design. Honestly, the comparisons to something like Warframe make a heck of a lot more sense than Destiny.

In terms of gear, its more Diablo than Destiny. The ultimate gear will be much more RPG-like/stat based than the Exotics in Destiny, which are completely static items that you can get at most the catalyst upgrade for. In Destiny, you often build your kit around the exotics but in Anthem, you build your gear towards your playstyle. Remember that there are 4 Javelins and each play completely differently so there's a lot of variety and customizability in terms of how you want to spec your suits.

One thing worth mentioning is that they've said again and again that Anthem WILL NOT have DLC that affects gameplay. Any content additions will be free to owners of the game. There will of course be MTX for vanity/customization items but that has NO bearing on gameplay to the point where the customization screen for Javelins is split into two categories with one affecting gameplay and one being purely visual. They MIGHT charge money for future Javelins, they've not given a definitive answer but beyond that, nothing that affects gameplay.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that the gameplay is much more like a spiritual successor to ME3/ME:A's MP than anything else. There is a combo system where one player sets a status effect on an enemy (frost/fire/electricity/poison) and another ability "detonates" it for BIG damage, referred to as a combo. It further encourages teamplay. Also the game has no PvP element (right now, anyway) so the game is entirely focused on the PvE aspect.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask :)

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

From what I see, the game seems to be more similar to Monster Hunter World (or Warframe ?) in term of game structure. You have 'quest board' where you can post your own quest or search for quests alread posted by others (Iirc the game even have SOS flare system too). Not sure if you are then transported to instanced world exclusive to people joined the quest (similar to MH) or if you can stumble upon randoms ?

The RPG element also seems to be much deeper than Destiny based on the loot stream (lots of percentage and number) ? It reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda customization actually. Edit : lucebuce explains it better !

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The player looks more like a mech than Destiny/Warframe. Is there any visible equipment changing? The preview I briefly watched highlighted equipment tweaking that wasn't visible but I wasn't sure if there was other equipment. Screwing around with your fashion is usually something fun in a MMO-ish game (like Destiny) so seems a shame if you can only clank around as one of the class armors.
Yes there is, check out this video on personalization. The systems for changing your appearance are actually really deep and much more involved than I thought they would be. It looks like they will allow for some very cool "fashion" builds haha.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I heard nothing but positive things from people who actually played he game.

The EA side of things is concerning though. That company is horrible this gen.

Not from me. The pre alpha was horrible.

Although its a pre alpha. I'm excited for the game and only gave the Alpha 2 hours as I didn't want it to tarnish my opinions.

I'm now on lock down and avoiding everything and look forward to picking it up on launch day (if it reviews well)

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the core focus, its actually not ENTIRELY all that different. There will be a campaign that introduces you to the game with the ultimate focus being the endgame which like Destiny, focuses on acquiring the best possible gear from very high difficulty activities.

The gameplay mechanics certainly are a HUGE difference as compared to Destiny. Destiny is first and foremost a shooter with the ability to choose one of three classes. You're LOCKED into that class and the only way to play the other classes is to make another character. Where as in Anthem, you make one Pilot and that pilot can choose between the 4 different suits or "Javelins" at will. The javelins each occupy a specific archetype but with gear, you can customize that archetype even further to be the playstyle that you prefer. For example, I'm going to be making the Ranger (which is the jack of all trades Javelin) as a support character with abilities that helps teammates and sets up enemies for awesome combos, and my Colossus (which is the tanky one) as a beefy close range tank. But other people will gear those same Javelins COMPLETELY differently.

There is also the flight mechanic which adds a COMPLETELY new layer of verticality to the game, both for exploration and combat/level design. Honestly, the comparisons to something like Warframe make a heck of a lot more sense than Destiny.

In terms of gear, its more Diablo than Destiny. The ultimate gear will be much more RPG-like/stat based than the Exotics in Destiny, which are completely static items that you can get at most the catalyst upgrade for. In Destiny, you often build your kit around the exotics but in Anthem, you build your gear towards your playstyle. Remember that there are 4 Javelins and each play completely differently so there's a lot of variety and customizability in terms of how you want to spec your suits.

One thing worth mentioning is that they've said again and again that Anthem WILL NOT have DLC that affects gameplay. Any content additions will be free to owners of the game. There will of course be MTX for vanity/customization items but that has NO bearing on gameplay to the point where the customization screen for Javelins is split into two categories with one affecting gameplay and one being purely visual. They MIGHT charge money for future Javelins, they've not given a definitive answer but beyond that, nothing that affects gameplay.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that the gameplay is much more like a spiritual successor to ME3/ME:A's MP than anything else. There is a combo system where one player sets a status effect on an enemy (frost/fire/electricity/poison) and another ability "detonates" it for BIG damage, referred to as a combo. It further encourages teamplay. Also the game has no PvP element (right now, anyway) so the game is entirely focused on the PvE aspect.

Very informative post, thanks!

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I've never played Destiny, so I perhaps other people can answer your question more thoroughly. But I would say the most obvious difference is the core gameplay. Mobility and traversal are much different in Anthem since everyone has the ability to fly and hover, and also the third person perspective is a major departure. The game is PVE only too, which allows for a much different balance compared to a game like Destiny that needs to account for PVP. I've heard people say the loot system is completely different too, and Anthem's system is much closer to something like Diablo, but I can't really speak with much authority there either. There is also matchmaking for all content.

Honestly I think the similarities to Desitiny are limited to the overall structures of the gameplay and progression. The particular mechanics, balance, world design, lore etc are all a lot different.

From what I see, the game seems to be more similar to Monster Hunter World (or Warframe ?) in term of game structure. You have 'quest board' where you can post your own quest or search for quests alread posted by others (Iirc the game even have SOS flare system too). Not sure if you are then transported to instanced world exclusive to people joined the quest (similar to MH) or if you can stumble upon randoms ?

The RPG element also seems to be much deeper than Destiny based on the loot stream (lots of percentage and number) ? It reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda customization actually. Edit : lucebuce explains it better !
I see, thank you guys! I appreciate it!

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

All of this right here. Want to add that story is a huge focus for the game and judging by the studio, I'm hoping for the best.

FuzzySlippers

Feb 13, 2018
That looks really cool. I love screwing around with that kind of thing. I've thought it a shame Destiny has never implemented transmog since it's an easy thing to give players to grind on (collect em all) and I hate having ugly armor (my best armor are giant metal boxes stuck on my shoulders).

The gunplay does look kinda anemic compared to Destiny but if they have more 'spells' kinda stuff and the melee is fun that'll work for me.

First person towns and locked third person exploration is an odd choice though. Like third person all the time makes sense, letting you toggle whenever makes sense, but that hard lock is kinda odd besides being the exact opposite of what Destiny does (locked third person towns and first person explore except for certain weapons).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i hope i am wrong but i am 99% certain this game will have limited content on launch....

so far, none of these type of games (destiny 1 & 2, The Division) sold as $60 boxes had done these right.

The way i see things, the only way loot shooters can prosper is go F2P and do as much right as warframe to succeed. Selling 'live service' games as one-&-done $60 game with season pass and DLC and then a full sequel 2 years later is not the correct solution to do 'live' games.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
i hope i am wrong but i am 99% certain this game will have limited content on launch....

so far, none of these type of games (destiny 1 & 2, The Division) sold as $60 boxes had done these right.

The way i see things, the only way loot shooters can prosper is go F2P and do as much right as warframe to succeed. Selling 'live service' games as one-&-done $60 game with season pass and DLC and then a full sequel 2 years later is not the correct solution to do 'live' games.

This game will not have a season pass. Will be supported with MTX customization and all content including campaign stuff will be free.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You... do realize that both Destiny games and Division are far more commercially successful than Warframe, right? GaaS games are already prospering at $60+, just because you don't want to buy them doesn't mean that the majority of gamers don't.

And Anthem won't even have season passes, expansions will be free.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Its fighting with Division 2 for me, damn, can't seem to make up my mind whether it's that or this.

the world and palette of Anthem does seems more interested than the Division's generic post-apocalypse military vibe but in terms of post-launch support of their live games and follow it through with it, Ubisoft does have a much better Pedigree in terms of support (R6: Siege, Wildlands, For Honor, division 1).

For EA...Battlefront 2's 'free DLC' post-launch is to literally apologize the disaster launch while their other games is..........just traditional Season pass/DLC packages. It can go either way at this point.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its fighting with Division 2 for me, damn, can't seem to make up my mind whether it's that or this.
For me the setting, will always hold the game back. When you're limited to modern day settings, with standard weapons and grounded enemies/abilities. The concept in an ARPG type setting just won't even feel right. They need variety in enemy types and engagements beyond, big dude, small dudes. They need rock paper scissors damage mechanics with certain weapons/tactics needing to be used on certain enemies etc. Otherwise, I'd rather have it play like something you'd see in a splinter cell game or something.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You... do realize that both Destiny games and Division are far more commercially successful than Warframe, right? GaaS games are already prospering at $60+, just because you don't want to buy them doesn't mean that the majority of gamers don't.

And Anthem won't even have season passes, expansions will be free.

i don't really judge live games based on how much the publisher earn, but rather whether the game is still being played, has the community grown years after its release and whether there's constant support.

Destiny 1 is being abandoned the moment destiny 2 is announced....I applaud with Division 1 post launch support but it will be abandoned and reset with Division 2....and that's the problem with selling live games and $60 boxes. There's a cutoff point once a sequel is announced with no continuity going forward.

And in terms of free expansion for Anthem.......well....i believe it will have a paid 'Taken King/Forsaken' type of bigger expansion once it reached its year 2 with all the free stuff are those small 'missions'...ala Destiny's 'DLC'.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I'm boring person, so Ranger for me ! Reminds me of Sword and Shield from MH ("beginner" class and jack of all trades master of none archetype). Besides I think Ranger have Destiny's Titan bubble ability ?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This game will not have a season pass. Will be supported with MTX customization and all content including campaign stuff will be free.

Just a small correction, they never said "all content will be free". What they actually said is that all STORY DLC will be free!

I honestly don't believe we won't end up having paid expansions, I wish it was all free but I highly doubt it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Thanks for the thread.

I'm still torn between Ranger and Storm. I like Ranger's artillery loadout, but Storm's cape is too fabulous.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Storm and Interceptor. I was just gonna be Storm but the Interceptor looked awesome in that new stream

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
the world and palette of Anthem does seems more interested than the Division's generic post-apocalypse military vibe but in terms of post-launch support of their live games and follow it through with it, Ubisoft does have a much better Pedigree in terms of support (R6: Siege, Wildlands, For Honor, division 1).

For EA...Battlefront 2's 'free DLC' post-launch is to literally apologize the disaster launch while their other games is..........just traditional Season pass/DLC packages. It can go either way at this point.
Is this what we call blinding rage (for EA)? Their other game so far is BFV and it does not have a season pass/DLC packs. They said the same with Battlefront 2. The free DLC for Battlefront 2 was not some sort of apology, stop making stuff up. Now whether you think there was enough content at launch for both games is a different story.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still really not sold on some fundamentals, but the Interceptor is undeniably cool.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i don't really judge live games based on how much the publisher earn, but rather whether the game is still being played, has the community grown years after its release and whether there's constant support.

Destiny 1 is being abandoned the moment destiny 2 is announced....I applaud with Division 1 post launch support but it will be abandoned and reset with Division 2....and that's the problem with selling live games and $60 boxes. There's a cutoff point once a sequel is announced with no continuity going forward.

And in terms of free expansion for Anthem.......well....i believe it will have a paid 'Taken King/Forsaken' type of bigger expansion once it reached its year 2 with all the free stuff are those small 'missions'...ala Destiny's 'DLC'.
You're right about the cycle for the AAA GAAS titles. Especially the MMO lite titles like Destiny. Every reset means all the work is effectively thrown away for the next paycheck, instead of building on what they have to keep players happy.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Taken King/Forsaken are expansions, though, Bioware referred to expansions being free, not a few side quests, and trust me, it's not such a far fetched thing to believe, considering how long the game has been in development I wouldn't be surprised if, at bare minimum, the next two expansions are probably done and they'll release the game in a vanilla state (read: barebones) until they release the 'free' (read: held back content) expansions throughout 2019, and they'll use the MTX revenue to fund the next expansions and I have no doubt that they'll be free as well if the game's MTX is generating enough revenue.

Just a small correction, they never said "all content will be free". What they actually said is that all STORY DLC will be free!

I honestly don't believe we won't end up having paid expansions, I wish it was all free but I highly doubt it.
Wrong.

They've been pretty clear about this stuff, story expansions will be free, no season pass whatsoever, they'll monetize cosmetics and DLC javelins.

Last edited:

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
This looks like it has a lot of potential, I'm cautiously excited and can't wait to see how it turns out. Interceptor looks right up my alley, but I could be tempted into playing Storm!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Taken King/Forsaken are expansions, though, Bioware referred to expansions being free, not a few side quests, and trust me, it's not such a far fetched thing to believe, considering how long the game has been in development I wouldn't be surprised if, at bare minimum, the next two expansions are probably done and they'll release the game in a vanilla state (read: barebones) until they release the 'free' (read: held back content) expansions throughout 2019, and they'll use the MTX revenue to fund the next expansions and I have no doubt that they'll be free as well if the game's MTX is generating enough revenue.

Wrong.

They've been pretty clear about this stuff, story expansions will be free, no season pass whatsoever, they'll monetize cosmetics and DLC javelins.

He just confirmed what I've said.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Awesome thread. I'm gonna go colossus and since the loot is kinda like Diablo, I hope I can get an inscription that increases movement speed. I'm gonna Juggernaut.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome thread. I'm gonna go colossus and since the loot is kinda like Diablo, I hope I can get an inscription that increases movement speed. I'm gonna Juggernaut.
Cool idea, I bet movement speed will be one of the attributes you can buff through gear and component inscriptions. I'm really looking forward to diving in to the loot system and experimenting with different builds. I love how the structure of the game doesn't lock you in to one class, and you are leveling up your pilot and not each suit individually.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
From what a played it's going to be great. It's by far the best combat biowares has ever made, taking the best of ME:A and making it better with freaking jet packs. I only got to play as the boring standard class, the intercepter looks amazing.

Level design, mission design and content will be the deciding factor if this is destiny level or not. I doubt they will ever match the raids of destiny but the story should be much better.

story doesn´t matter in the long run for a loot game...

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This looks like it has a lot of potential, I'm cautiously excited and can't wait to see how it turns out. Interceptor looks right up my alley, but I could be tempted into playing Storm!

My plan was to main Storm as well but I think there are gonna be a lot of them when the game launches. You luckily you can play all four and are not tied to one Javelin so we shall see how things shake out.

Thanks to the OP for the thread there is definitely a lack of Anthem conversation around here and I am pretty hyped for the game personally...

Status
Not open for further replies.