• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Those games... cost $0 to play. Anthem is a $60 game.
So? Destiny cost $60, Overwatch cost $60, AC cost $60, WOW cost whatever + sub along with FF mmo.

It's not a big deal, at all. It's especially not a big deal in GAAS games because they don't have subscriptions like WOW and FF does, they need to make money to keep the games going. I would rather have a bunch of useless skins i don't care about than to bring back online passes or increased game prices or a sub.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Cosmetics that can be bought for in-game currency or actual money if you so choose. Same thing as Destiny. Therefore, who cares.

It is not the same because your appearance constantly changes in Destiny as you pick up loot. This does not happen in Anthem from what I have seen. Your appearance only changes with color settings or skins. It is more akin to Marvel Heroes.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, spend some additional real money or grind for things that used to be rare loot, unlocks and cheats.

The good thing is if you don't like it you don't have to play it.

I am just pointing out there is a way to get them without spending real money, and I ALSO think $8 for a skin in a retail game is a bit too high for my taste.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is not the same because your appearance constantly changes in Destiny as you pick up loot. This does not happen in Anthem from what I have seen. Your appearance only changes with color settings or skins. It is more akin to Marvel Heroes.

Thanks for the semantics that miss the actual point.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the semantics that miss the actual point.

It isn't semantics. You can alter how your character looks greatly without anything from the eververse because all loot changes how you look. In Anthem you need to get a skin to change your appearance. It's like Marvel Heroes, as opposed to Diablo 3 where your appearance also changes with the loot you get. It's an important distinction in loot games.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
You won't get certain people here to agree with that. According to them microtransactions are the devil in paid games no matter what, and they refuse to accept the benefits.

Considering you can buy a whole pack of skins in some fighting games for less than one of those skins, I'd say it's a valid complaint. Especially since these skins require a premium currency.

Plus there are plenty of F2P games that will most likely last longer and have more content than Anthem will by the time they stop supporting it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still don't see why they can't just sell the skins and emotes directly on the platform stores for set amounts of real money instead of obfuscating the amount you spend with this layer of exploitative and manipulative virtual currency garbage.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't see why they can't just sell the skins and emotes directly on the platform stores for set amounts of real money instead of obfuscating the amount you spend with this layer of exploitative and manipulative virtual currency garbage.

You kinda answered your own question.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm not against MT's but I do hate them in loot games like in this game, The Division, and Destiny because I feel like the entire point of playing the game is to get better/cooler looking loot. If everyone can just buy something that looks cool it takes away how unique it actually is. It's why I hate the model in SWTOR. The best looking gear is on the stupid Cartel Market (in card packs) instead of in the actual game. I give props to Bungie for reeling it in a bit.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
when does the trial on ea access unlock?
nm found it

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a $60 game, but maybe I am old fashioned.
60$ with free expansions coming because of cosmetics you can earn for free, the same cosmetics that wouldn't fucking exist in the first place anyways, is far better than having to pay 120$ for the whole game and getting multiplayer userbase divided.

I will never get people whining so much about simple cosmetics that literally wouldn't even be in the game otherwise

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Good question -- I don't know if they talked about their plans about new javelins. I know they want to, but for now it seems the core game has been balanced around the 4 current javelins 'classes'.

Yeah, ATM I don't think even BW knows what to do about them.

My feeling is they will just clone the Warframe playbook, have a complete Jav + some exclusive cosmetics sold as a real money package; but have the components that you can use to build one yourself to drop in various missions that you will have to farm (alternatively sell the components for coin that you can farm in game).

If BW make it so one can only get the new Jav by buying with real money, there will be instantly nothing to do (or can do) for those who never intended to pay for new Jav, and those people will simply move on to other game as there will be no point sticking around. Bleeding player base like this is exactly how you kill a GaaS game.

From what I have observed via various tweets/stream/threads by the Dev, my impression is they are FULLY committed to run the title as a long term full GaaS title, and the core of all GaaS title especially online multiplayer titles are player base, player retention and washout rate mitigation.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Very reasonable IMO, in the face of not having any need to buy season passes or expansions, to keep playing the content they make. Plus you can just play the game and save up coins to buy anything you want- even if it takes awhile this is fair, and you won't ever absolutely HAVE to spend a dollar more than $60 if you choose to for the life of the game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
60$ with free expansions coming because of cosmetics you can earn for free, the same cosmetics that wouldn't fucking exist in the first place anyways, is far better than having to pay 120$ for the whole game and getting multiplayer userbase divided.

I will never get people whining so much about simple cosmetics that literally wouldn't even be in the game otherwise

In theory this is a decent idea. The problem is it hardly works out that way. They're not gonna give away a free 'expansion' worth of content for some stupid microtransactions. They're too greedy, they want both. You'll get little game updates and then they will announce their big $40-60 expansion in 6 months. I remember Bungie telling me that the entire point of the Eververse was to fund free content and we all saw how that turned out (paid expansion 1, paid expansion 2, big paid expansion 3, annual pass).

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Laughable but totally expected. Well, Bioware have just ensured that I'll wait and buy a used copy for $20 next month

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So Goth is playing since release doing just normal stuff and has now after 4.5 hours 11k coins earned.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
From what I've seen I'll definitely spend some money when I see some cosmetics I like/want/need. Glad to see it won't be too hard for people to earn what they want without paying.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Pro tip: start by leaking an image of your microtransaction store prices pre-release, then if there's backlash, you can lower them in time for launch.

OP
OP
Ralemont

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
More like I played that beta twice and I'[d rather the reasons go into all the things that are buggy/incomplete to unfun. I hope there is a different story when the game releases, I've been surprised before.

You should check out the current Early Access threads. Things seem much better than the demo.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
More like I played that beta twice and I'[d rather the reasons go into all the things that are buggy/incomplete to unfun. I hope there is a different story when the game releases, I've been surprised before.

So have I. I enjoyed it. I wasn't suggesting you don't have a right to opinion more commenting on how what you said has been said so many times it is hardly a hot take. Maybe I missed your sarcasm. If so, mea culpa.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
their strategy works. Scare the costumer with the threat of high prices. Reduce them for launch. Now we are happy that emotes cost "only" 4 bucks.

I don't like that at all.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
>paying f2p skin prices in a full-priced videogame

giphy.gif

Yep, that's me.
I still can't believe people actually does this but it's basically been normalised at this point.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
You have to wonder if people would be far more willing to drop cash on this stuff if these companies weren't so damn stingy and just kept the costs down to a reasonable level. When you consider how much we pay for the entire game, it really puts things into perspective how ridiculous these prices are. I wish people would at least hold the line until pricing on this kind of stuff is more reasonable. You want to charge for a new outfit? Fine. How about a dollar? I know for a fact there will be 0.00 of my money going to this shit. However, if it was was a dollar for a little customization, I'd be far more interested in dropping some bucks here and there. I know I'm not alone. So what would bring in more revenue? Ripping off suckers or offering a very inexpensive extra for people to consider? I think the latter personally.