• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, why not play Assassin's Creed, Breath of the Wild, God of War, Spider-Man, Monster Hunter World, Super Smash Bros, or any of the other plethora of recent AAA games not based around shooting?

(Before I go further, please understand I am in no way degrading or insulting or even calling into question the quality of our fps/tps shooty games. I'm mainly trying(and maybe even failing!) to point out their oversaturation in not only being shooting games, but maybe even themes too. Maybe.)

Alright here I go. I'm gonna go from the oldest game in that list by a technicality, and go forward since then as a sort of recount. I'm not going to count GaaS games or MMOs that came out before then for obvious reasons. Remasters, Remakes, Rereleases aren't counted.

'AAA' Games that came out since The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild released (March 3 2017)

Not Many Guns, Not Many Shooty:
Spider Man
God of War
Dragon Quest XII
Monster Hunter World
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Detroit: Blend in with the Humans
Xenoblade Chronic 2
Pokemon Pet the Eevee it's so cute
Dragon Ball FighterZ

Rooty Tooty Guns n Shooty:
Red Dead Redemption 2
PubG
Fortnite
Destiny 2
Call of Duty WW2
Cod Black Ops 4
Battlefield V
Far Cry 5
Far Cry New Dawn
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
Prey
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Wolfenstein II The New Colossus
Apex legends
Anthem
Fallout 76
Division 2?
Splatoon 2
Just Cause 4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I don't honestly know if H1Z1 would count. Probably not. There's quite a few games I'm missing, and for the most part with my utterly unscientific gaze these are probably the most 'popular' of the genre of shooting games. I mainly looked at PC and first person shooters, and likely missed a few third person ones. The few that came to mind immediately: The Division, Watch Dogs 1/2, came out before Breath of the Wild. This entire post is open to any corrections or additions by anyone, please feel free to correct, add or remove games should I be incorrect about them.

Amazingly, one of these games, just one, feature zombies, as a game mode.

Seven of these games are Online Only GaaSes, with two of them not completly being competitive shooter GaaS(Destiny 2, The Division). And one being the best game (Splatoon 2)

Tomb Raider, Just Cause, Prey, Red Dead Redemption, Far Cries, have a very clear and vested interest in the single player campaign.

Far Cries, Wolfenstein(kinda?), Metro, Destiny 2(kinda), Division 2, Fallout 76, all take place in an apocalyptic setting.

Fallout, Far Cries, Metro, Division, PubG/Fortnite(do these count?) Just Cause, Ghost Recon Wildlands(i think), Red Dead Redemption are all open world games.

My original post mentioned TESVI. So far since Skyrim's launch, only very recently has any news at all come up about it, while two fallout games were released since Skyrim. And between Oblivion and Skyrim lie two more Fallout games.

Honestly in the end I feel Dunkey says a lot without having to say much. A lot of the current crop of AAA games share the same game loop, or are purely multiplayer things, or shove in survival mechanics because Minecraft made that popular, or forego a campaign entirely, or are open world to their detriment. Imo, his point was a bit more of asking where the more focused games at, even if I think some of the game examples are reaching a bit. Of all of those shooty games I listed, I only own Destiny 2.

tldr buy a switch

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Most of the video is just a long way of saying "Anthem is generic".

At the last part of the video when he mentioned all those games he wasn't comparing genres but rather mentioning a bunch of games that were flops, currently dead and forgettable which I imagine that Dunkey thinks that will end up happening with Anthem.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That wasn't funny at all. Seemed more like "I don't like shooters and don't understand the genre so all shooters are the same lolololol" than any actual valid criticism of the games he featured.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
One of his worst videos I've seen. And if you want to fight people in Apex, go towards the action and quit spending so much time looting.

Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't funny at all. Seemed more like "I don't like shooters and don't understand the genre so all shooters are the same lolololol" than any actual valid criticism of the games he featured.

Didn't seem like that to me. It's obviously not a thoughtful video essay but in like 2 minutes he conveyed pretty succinctly his criticisms of most modern shooters, like uninspired samey storylines and setting, clunky vehicle parts, lack of innovation, relative stagnancy dating back to shooters that are 15+ years old, shitty company practices. Off the top of my head. Whether those hold any weight I don't know since I never played the games he's talking about, but there is actual content here. The part about "all the games bleeding into one another and being basically the same" everyone here talks about is literally the last 30 seconds of the video. So I'm guessing everyone here posting "lul shooters am i rite everything was guns" probably made even less of an effort understanding the vid than dunkey did while making it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Didn't seem like that to me. It's obviously not a thoughtful video essay but in like 2 minutes he conveyed pretty succinctly his criticisms of most modern shooters, like uninspired samey storylines and setting, clunky vehicle parts, lack of innovation, relative stagnancy dating back to shooters that are 15+ years old, shitty company practices. Off the top of my head. Whether those hold any weight I don't know since I never played the games he's talking about, but there is actual content here. The part about "all the games bleeding into one another and being basically the same" everyone here talks about is literally the last 30 seconds of the video. So I'm guessing everyone here posting "lul shooters am i rite everything was guns" probably made even less of an effort understanding the vid than dunkey did while making it.

Except this is not actually true? Are Doom & modern Call of Duty even remotely comparable?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
(Before I go further, please understand I am in no way degrading or insulting or even calling into question the quality of our fps/tps shooty games. I'm mainly trying(and maybe even failing!) to point out their oversaturation in not only being shooting games, but maybe even themes too. Maybe.)

Alright here I go. I'm gonna go from the oldest game in that list by a technicality, and go forward since then as a sort of recount. I'm not going to count GaaS games or MMOs that came out before then for obvious reasons. Remasters, Remakes, Rereleases aren't counted.

'AAA' Games that came out since The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild released (March 3 2017)

Not Many Guns, Not Many Shooty:
Spider Man
God of War
Dragon Quest XII
Monster Hunter World
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Detroit: Blend in with the Humans
Xenoblade Chronic 2
Pokemon Pet the Eevee it's so cute
Dragon Ball FighterZ

Rooty Tooty Guns n Shooty:
Red Dead Redemption 2
PubG
Fortnite
Destiny 2
Call of Duty WW2
Cod Black Ops 4
Battlefield V
Far Cry 5
Far Cry New Dawn
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
Prey
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Wolfenstein II The New Colossus
Apex legends
Anthem
Fallout 76
Division 2?
Splatoon 2
Just Cause 4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I don't honestly know if H1Z1 would count. Probably not. There's quite a few games I'm missing, and for the most part with my utterly unscientific gaze these are probably the most 'popular' of the genre of shooting games. I mainly looked at PC and first person shooters, and likely missed a few third person ones. The few that came to mind immediately: The Division, Watch Dogs 1/2, came out before Breath of the Wild. This entire post is open to any corrections or additions by anyone, please feel free to correct, add or remove games should I be incorrect about them.

Amazingly, one of these games, just one, feature zombies, as a game mode.

Seven of these games are Online Only GaaSes, with two of them not completly being competitive shooter GaaS(Destiny 2, The Division). And one being the best game (Splatoon 2)

Tomb Raider, Just Cause, Prey, Red Dead Redemption, Far Cries, have a very clear and vested interest in the single player campaign.

Far Cries, Wolfenstein(kinda?), Metro, Destiny 2(kinda), Division 2, Fallout 76, all take place in an apocalyptic setting.

Fallout, Far Cries, Metro, Division, PubG/Fortnite(do these count?) Just Cause, Ghost Recon Wildlands(i think), Red Dead Redemption are all open world games.

My original post mentioned TESVI. So far since Skyrim's launch, only very recently has any news at all come up about it, while two fallout games were released since Skyrim. And between Oblivion and Skyrim lie two more Fallout games.

Honestly in the end I feel Dunkey says a lot without having to say much. A lot of the current crop of AAA games share the same game loop, or are purely multiplayer things, or shove in survival mechanics because Minecraft made that popular, or forego a campaign entirely, or are open world to their detriment. Imo, his point was a bit more of asking where the more focused games at, even if I think some of the game examples are reaching a bit. Of all of those shooty games I listed, I only own Destiny 2.

tldr buy a switch

I hate going or even discussing the list route but:
That date conveniently allows dismissal of Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, RE7 and Nier Automata. Persona 5, Mario and Rabbids, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Kirby Star Allies, Soul Calibur 6, Hitman 2, Yakuza 6, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Hellblade, Injustice 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Forza Horizon 4, and Kingdom Hearts 3 should be there also. Starting to see my point? This isn't even close to them all, I just browsed my PS4/XB1/Switch home screens really quickly.

Im your absolutely ridiculous venn diagram that tries to make all those games seem the same, where does Prey fall? Somehow Splatoon 2 can get a pass for being "different" enough, and "best game", yet Prey, or any other immersive Sim that happens to be in a first person perspective, is similar enough to Fortnite or Call of Duty WW2 to be lumped together. Based on your post(and silly TLDR), I would venture to guess that you do most of your playing on Switch and think a lot of EXTREMELY different games look/feel the same from the outside.

Let's say that you're correct in your assessment though for a second. Why is the state of AAA gaming so samey when the first list is as large as the second one? Who has time to care about every AAA game? Why isn't it possible to be happy with all of the ones that don't feature guns instead of acting like every one is a competitive, open world, post apocalyptic, futuristic, GaaS arena shooter(see how even describing them together is contradictory)?

This argument, every time it's made, is literally some old man yelling at clouds circa 2013 shit that's poorly researched, articulated and reductive as hell. If you don't play a single game featuring guns, there's still too many to keep up with. Maybe this is some stealth Switch advertisement and I got duped.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
People will defend him because they enjoy his content but he uses homophobic slurs and is banned from games like LoL for treating people like garbage. Not somebody I would want to get behind.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Video had no actual point to make. Every time he got to where I thought he might be starting to form one, he would bring up some other game that has nothing to do with anything he was just talking about.

It was like video game Mad Libs, except every line was "Remember [video game]?".

Oct 26, 2017
Video had no actual point to make. Every time he got to where I thought he might be starting to form one, he would bring up some other game that has nothing to do with anything he was just talking about.

It was like video game Mad Libs, except every line was "Remember [video game]?".
Mad Libs is the best explanation of this video I've seen. And it was just as amusing as Mad Libs (not amusing).

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a video meant to appeal to people with ADD. It's trying to make a specific point but always goes on unrelated tangents before making it. And because the creator can't be bothered to actually take a deeper dive into the discussion, viewers are forced to make sense of his vague ramblings. Bad video, needs more focus.

Deleted member 1845

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the free pass Dunkey gets on this site of all sites. Dude has repeatedly used gay as a pejorative, retard, fa*, fa***t, and the n word.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate going or even discussing the list route but:
That date conveniently allows dismissal of Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, RE7 and Nier Automata. Persona 5, Mario and Rabbids, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Kirby Star Allies, Soul Calibur 6, Hitman 2, Yakuza 6, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Hellblade, Injustice 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Forza Horizon 4, and Kingdom Hearts 3 should be there also. Starting to see my point? This isn't even close to them all, I just browsed my PS4/XB1/Switch home screens really quickly.

Im your absolutely ridiculous venn diagram that tries to make all those games seem the same, where does Prey fall? Somehow Splatoon 2 can get a pass for being "different" enough, and "best game", yet Prey, or any other immersive Sim that happens to be in a first person perspective, is similar enough to Fortnite or Call of Duty WW2 to be lumped together. Based on your post(and silly TLDR), I would venture to guess that you do most of your playing on Switch and think a lot of EXTREMELY different games look/feel the same from the outside.

Let's say that you're correct in your assessment though for a second. Why is the state of AAA gaming so samey when the first list is as large as the second one? Who has time to care about every AAA game? Why isn't it possible to be happy with all of the ones that don't feature guns instead of acting like every one is a competitive, open world, post apocalyptic, futuristic, GaaS arena shooter(see how even describing them together is contradictory)?

This argument, every time it's made, is literally some old man yelling at clouds circa 2013 shit that's poorly researched, articulated and reductive as hell. If you don't play a single game featuring guns, there's still too many to keep up with. Maybe this is some stealth Switch advertisement and I got duped.

You raise a good point about the date and the missing games. I should just have included all of 2017 instead of just going by BOTW's release date, and looked up more games than a cursory search through steam and some muddled memory.

The shooty games are lumped together because they are first or third person games that involve shooting guns. I actually do not own a Switch, I just utterly adore Splatoon 2 from the sidelines as something that is far more bright and colorful in what felt like a sea of fairly similar, gritty, shooty games.

I very recently played Titanfall 2. I played through it's campaign and uninstalled, and it was one of the best FPS campaigns I've played in a LONG time. Prey is on the list of 'i should play this soon, though it's kind of spooky' because from what I've heard and seen of it, it has that solid single player experience that I kind of grew up with when it came to FPS games. Wolfenstein too. It is a bit of old man yelling at industry going on here, I fully admit that, but a lot of the current crop of 'yall like shooting guns, right?' Are just... lacking, for all of their AAA might. Tomb Raider was horrendously over the top with it's gore and bad ends, so i absolutely passed on it. I passed on far cry out of an exhaustion of open world games. Anthem is a disappointment. Andromeda was a joke. I loathe current-era military shooters. Stuff like Unreal and Half Life, Mass Effect 1-3, among shooters, there's little like those anymore. At a point i stopped paying attention. I had to get coerced into trying Titanfall 2 because the only shooting game, as I mentioned, I've played recently was Destiny 2. I never even played the original destiny whatsoever, so while D2 started out as a disappointment, it's now at 'okay' with a solid lore and story behind it that i enjoy. And the gunfeel is great.

Trying to vendiagram it was a mistake. My problem was not addressing my actual issue: They just don't make enough shooty games that I like anymore. Wolfenstein and Prey and probably a few that I've missed, I'll have to go play (despite my excessive aversion to gore) since it feels like they're some of the few games doing something I may like.

I really should just get a switch one of these days, though.