• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
to be frank this is another video where i have no idea what dunkey is trying to say at the cost of any kind of humor is the point just "all these games are bleeding together for me and lacking a distinct identity" or what

the video game critics video implies that hes actually serious with all criticisms he makes to some extent so i cant just like toss it off as some stream of consciousness thing

this whole video doesnt work because he brings all these older games into it

the comparison points he uses are like so many and so diverse across more than one genre of games that it gets legitimately lost in a sea of comparisons of games that all set themselves apart

if hes trying to be reflective of aaa gaming today, why bring turok into it?

that game is about killing dinosaurs. a pretty far cry from far cry or really any one of these other fucking games he lists

its really fucking stupid to generalize an actually very diverse set of games that in actuality, maybe are only connected because you shoot a gun.
^

Ok real talk, "pro-gamer" videos tend to always be this way. :|

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The shooty games are lumped together because they are first or third person games that involve shooting guns. I actually do not own a Switch, I just utterly adore Splatoon 2 from the sidelines as something that is far more bright and colorful in what felt like a sea of fairly similar, gritty, shooty games.
Literally the rising trend in shooters is less of a focus on delivering a gritty tone and allowing for more arcadey systems due to a focus on systemic game design.

At a point i stopped paying attention.
tumblr_phn63qyo3a1wgzz3eo3_r5_250.gif

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Surprising amount of salt in the comments here.

I don't see how you can play these AAA games and not notice they get a little samey or at least can't step back and take a joke about the state of the industry. People getting all in their feelings like he insulted their favorite game.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
You raise a good point about the date and the missing games. I should just have included all of 2017 instead of just going by BOTW's release date, and looked up more games than a cursory search through steam and some muddled memory.

The shooty games are lumped together because they are first or third person games that involve shooting guns. I actually do not own a Switch, I just utterly adore Splatoon 2 from the sidelines as something that is far more bright and colorful in what felt like a sea of fairly similar, gritty, shooty games.

I very recently played Titanfall 2. I played through it's campaign and uninstalled, and it was one of the best FPS campaigns I've played in a LONG time. Prey is on the list of 'i should play this soon, though it's kind of spooky' because from what I've heard and seen of it, it has that solid single player experience that I kind of grew up with when it came to FPS games. Wolfenstein too. It is a bit of old man yelling at industry going on here, I fully admit that, but a lot of the current crop of 'yall like shooting guns, right?' Are just... lacking, for all of their AAA might. Tomb Raider was horrendously over the top with it's gore and bad ends, so i absolutely passed on it. I passed on far cry out of an exhaustion of open world games. Anthem is a disappointment. Andromeda was a joke. I loathe current-era military shooters. Stuff like Unreal and Half Life, Mass Effect 1-3, among shooters, there's little like those anymore. At a point i stopped paying attention. I had to get coerced into trying Titanfall 2 because the only shooting game, as I mentioned, I've played recently was Destiny 2. I never even played the original destiny whatsoever, so while D2 started out as a disappointment, it's now at 'okay' with a solid lore and story behind it that i enjoy. And the gunfeel is great.

Trying to vendiagram it was a mistake. My problem was not addressing my actual issue: They just don't make enough shooty games that I like anymore. Wolfenstein and Prey and probably a few that I've missed, I'll have to go play (despite my excessive aversion to gore) since it feels like they're some of the few games doing something I may like.

I really should just get a switch one of these days, though.

First off, you really should get a Switch.

Now that that's out of the way, I can understand to a point that some themes and genres are overdone, but the quantity of top tier software these days makes it pretty easy to completely ignore what you don't like. The "old man" bit was more a jab at the industry around that time when it really was tough to get away from military shooters if you were interested in AAA gaming. Look at Sony these days for instance. They had Resistance, Killzone and MAG, and they haven't touched that kind of game in years. Some of them(like The Division) feel really different from most military shooters, aesthetic aside. That game specifically really appeals to the Diablo fanbase(loot ARPG) in addition to shooter fans, and doesn't give the same vibe as many others beyond a surface level.

I actually don't play nearly as many as I used to, but with so many RPGs and Action games it's not too hard to pick and choose.

Surprising amount of salt in the comments here.

I don't see how you can play these AAA games and not notice they get a little samey or at least can't step back and take a joke about the state of the industry. People getting all in their feelings like he insulted their favorite game.

I honestly think that it's hard to view them all as samey unless you that's what you want to see or that's all that you play. Thats nowhere near a good view of anything but a specific subset that you want to find similarities in. No one's in their feelings either tbh. You can call out someone on making awful points without being upset.

Last edited:

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the rising trend in shooters is less of a focus on delivering a gritty tone and allowing for more arcadey systems due to a focus on systemic game design.

tumblr_phn63qyo3a1wgzz3eo3_r5_250.gif
Wolfenstein, I guess? Splatoon, obviously. and Fortnite and Apex and Overwatch. Only one of these is single player focused, but if you have any more nice examples, please toss em my way because i have a big thirst after finishing Titanfall 2. It's so big. As for tuning out of the fps genre for quite a few years...

First off, you really should get a Switch.

Now that that's out of the way, I can understand to a point that some themes and genres are overdone, but the quantity of top tier software these days makes it pretty easy to completely ignore what you don't like. The "old man" bit was more a jab at the industry around that time when it really was tough to get away from military shooters if you were interested in AAA gaming. Look at Sony these days for instance. They had Resistance, Killzone and MAG, and they haven't touched that kind of game in years. Some of them(like The Division) feel really different from most military shooters, aesthetic aside. That game specifically really appeals to the Diablo fanbase(loot ARPG) in addition to shooter fans, and doesn't give the same vibe as many others beyond a surface level.

I actually don't play nearly as many as I used to, but with so many RPGs and Action games it's not too hard to pick and choose.
That era of military shooters had me tune the fuck out and give up on finding a AAA non-gritty shooter experience. Then fallout turned a trend to the post apoc which i utterly loathe, exceptions aside. It just made it real easy to ignore the space and not really hope for the future until I got practically coerced into playing D2, which is the kind of post apoc i can stand.

Cyberpunk looks amazing. So at least i've got that in the future.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wolfenstein, I guess? Splatoon, obviously. and Fortnite and Apex and Overwatch. Only one of these is single player focused, but if you have any more nice examples, please toss em my way because i have a big thirst after finishing Titanfall 2. It's so big. As for tuning out of the fps genre for quite a few years...
It's quite honestly every big shooter. I'm actually having trouble thinking of a shooter that isn't only gritty on a surface level.

Oct 27, 2017
So we still post his content? I guess JonTron's newest content should get threads too?

If he did repeatedly use these slurs like you're suggesting, his content wouldn't be posted here I'm sure. He hasn't done any of that in a long while though and looks like he has shaped up. That's why people in every thread latch onto one twitch clip from 2017 and 2-3 vids from 2012-2013 where he did use these slurs. His vids are mostly interesting or entertaining and spur discussion, which is why people post his content. Not that hard to figure out.

That people compare dunkey to a guy who went full on white ethnostate / 'gene pool dilution' / altright nonsense racism and think they're remotely comparable is still baffling to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I remember going to all my friends in school and saying Brink was gonna be the CoD killer.

I was a fool then, and I still am.

Deleted member 1845

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he did repeatedly use these slurs like you're suggesting, his content wouldn't be posted here I'm sure. He hasn't done any of that in a long while though and looks like he has shaped up. That's why people in every thread latch onto one twitch clip from 2017 and 2-3 vids from 2012-2013 where he did use these slurs. His vids are mostly interesting or entertaining and spur discussion, which is why people post his content. Not that hard to figure out.

That people compare dunkey to a guy who went full on white ethnostate / 'gene pool dilution' / altright nonsense racism and think they're remotely comparable is still baffling to me.

Confused with CrowbCat, nevermind.

Last edited: