• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike gear scores. I like games that has gear, but you aren't totally dependent on the endless ladder of replacing. A awesome seemingly endlessly useful item dropped at level 15, and you still have a use for it at level 70 is the kind of thing I like. Side-grades, situational gear depending on builds.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Meh.......world looks ripped from Avatar,characters look ripped from Destiny,gameplay looks ripped from every shooter ever.....I'm being a dick but EA get no benefit of the doubt from me right now.......they need something remarkable to get me onside again and this several years late Destiny knock off won't do it.

Hope everyone who's into it enjoys it though and it does well for Bioware(so we can get Mass Effect back on track).

Based upon the impressions available from those that broke the NDA (and from E3), gameplay is certainly not in "every shooter ever."

You should at least try a bit harder with these trolls.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people like gear scores? Is it because they don't like figuring out what is better and prefers to compare one number to the other?

It serves two major purposes. If the stat budget on a piece of equipment scales linearly along a item/gear level curve, it means I don't need to compare the primary stats against a lower level item, so I can focus my attention on weighing the secondary/tertiary stats on those pieces (Which is usually where most of the significant gearing decisions end up being decided anyway on two otherwise equal pieces of gear). The more important thing though is that it also informs me both where I am in overall power at a glance, and what content I should be targeting to continue getting meaningful gear upgrades.

For example, my Warrior in World of Warcraft is 377 which ensures that the only places he can expect consistent gear upgrades is in Mythic Uldir (Which offers 385 gear) or from weekly caches if I can complete a Mythic+ 10 for that week. Alternatively, I know my Shaman's 17 item levels too low to queue up for LFG Uldir because that's 340 content, and he's only 323, but he is two item levels off from doing mythic level dungeons.

This is a much more convenient and intuitive system to figure out what content I'm supposed to be doing, compared to figuring out what my HP and attack power values are on my character sheet and trying to figure out what gear is where so I can pick up the difference.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I get the disappointment some have in a lack of PVP. But their reasoning to me for it not being there initially is a good one. And it's that it allows them to add more loot without having to be overly concerned about balancing.
It's the lack of options. Is PVP in Diablo 2 balanced? No. But it's still an option for players to have fun with. Why can't Anthem have some kind of Arena? Oh wait, they probably planned it for Anthem 2 in 2022.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
speaking as someone who's played the alpha, those people are full of shit.
I mean it's all subjective. Played as it looked in previews on base PS4 and I enjoyed it but I'm still in that "not quite sure" area. All mechanics and all that is great. It's probably still more this disbelief that this was a BioWare game that made me a little iffy

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
No PVP is a huge plus for me and getting rid of PvP is probably the only change that could get me back into Destiny these days.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
No PVP is a huge plus for me and getting rid of PvP is probably the only change that could get me back into Destiny these days.

Problem with Destiny and much likely this game will be is that the PVE gets real old real quick, and the devs cant keep up with supplying enough content to keep the players invested for a long time. So they introduce grindy, rough RNG activities to prolong the playtime. PVP isnt for everyone but it certainly can fill in the time between waiting for new content.

I dont know what Anthems activities will be like but Im certain they will be the usual content for these type of games.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the people who are expecting raid should probably hold off their purchase until we get more information about this, the developers on discord have been referring to whatever we're going to have at launch as "raid-like" for quite a while, and I remember a developer once referring it as just 'raid' and another Bioware dev had to correct him on that, now I'm not sure what qualifies as a 'proper' raid since I don't play Destiny or WoW but even I noticed how vague Bioware has been in regards to everything about raid and Anthem's 'version' of it.

TcRHgr5.png

DeWcxai.png

HvqZPZb.png

zXVdj0y.png

fNyM3sc.png

hXsdcaW.png

he3RSJn.png

(BioChris, Anamoly and BiowareBen are Bioware developers)

I get the feeling that people who are expecting that either at launch or shortly after should definitely take a moment and reconsider buying this game until Bioware says something concrete about endgame's content.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I guess it's best to just get a month of Origin Premier to see check things out.

By the time the sub ends, the game would probably be discounted already anyway, and you can choose to buy it or not then.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Based upon the impressions available from those that broke the NDA (and from E3), gameplay is certainly not in "every shooter ever."

You should at least try a bit harder with these trolls.
I admitted in my post I was being harsh and the reasons why yet you still interpret it as a troll post....I don't troll post(please see my post history).I was explaining what I was seeing......I'll grant you the player can fly around during combat but it looks uninspired and given EA's current strategy this is just another attempt to find a way to extract as much cash from players as they can with a concept pretty much straight up copied from other creators....like I said they get no benefit of the doubt from me.

OP
OP
Ralemont

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Problem with Destiny and much likely this game will be is that the PVE gets real old real quick, and the devs cant keep up with supplying enough content to keep the players invested for a long time. So they introduce grindy, rough RNG activities to prolong the playtime. PVP isnt for everyone but it certainly can fill in the time between waiting for new content.

It can, but only if it's done well and it depends on the game type. PVP in an MMO like Final Fantasy XIV does jack-all for retaining players because the battle system simply doesn't support that kind of play. Whether Anthem could or not I don't know, but it's certainly more difficult than PVP in a FPS.

My ideal for Anthem PVP would be sports games. Like an actual 3D Blitzball you can play and earn personalization items. That'd be sweet.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this, but already I'm questioning what they are talking about. Right away, when they mention the fire build up as being new in "games like this", what are they talking about? Because the mechanic is most certainly not new at all for action/RPGs by any means.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watching this, but already I'm questioning what they are talking about. Right away, when they mention the fire build up as being new in "games like this", what are they talking about? Because the mechanic is most certainly not new at all for action/RPGs by any means.
I think it's more the fact that it is an actual Stat on items, so builds can focus around that burning side of things but also the combo that you can link to attacks that cause the burning status to do other things. Could be wrong.

Normally RPGs have some "causes burning over 5 seconds" or something similar and normally you just attack and the burn applies. Anthem seems to have a burn buildup Stat, akin to a bleed buildup Stat etc.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Think of it as a Threshold

If your gun does say 295 🔥, the Boss to get the Burn effect to register needs 300. Your 5 off. So maybe next piece is 302 🔥. Now your burn gets put on boss, your teammate has ability or yourself an ability that stacks burn damage and combos off it. Now you hit a multiplier with status effect in tow.

Usually elements are match game or versus, in this there's thresholds where if your weaponry overcomes it, you can combo off it.

So a boss that might be susceptible to 🔥, you can gain a huge advantage by playing the right set up, if boss is super strong against 🔥, then swap your load out to the other element which they are susceptible too

That's why you have loadouts

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Think of it as a Threshold

If your gun does say 295 🔥, the Boss to get the Burn effect to register needs 300. Your 5 off. So maybe next piece is 302 🔥. Now your burn gets put on boss, your teammate has ability or yourself an ability that stacks burn damage and combos off it. Now you hit a multiplier with status effect in tow.

Usually elements are match game or versus, in this there's thresholds where if your weaponry overcomes it, you can combo off it.

So a boss that might be susceptible to 🔥, you can gain a huge advantage by playing the right set up, if boss is super strong against 🔥, then swap your load out to the other element which they are susceptible too

That's why you have loadouts

So there's no stacking per hit, it's just straight thresholds that you either hit with one shot, or you don't? If that's the case, it just sounds like armor penetration.

Normally RPGs have some "causes burning over 5 seconds" or something similar and normally you just attack and the burn applies. Anthem seems to have a burn buildup Stat, akin to a bleed buildup Stat etc.

This is how I thought it worked, which is why I said it wasn't new.

OP
OP
Ralemont

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
This is how I thought it worked, which is why I said it wasn't new.

I'm guessing they meant it's new for online loot shooters, which I think is true? I don't remember the stat in Destiny 1, haven't played others though.

Certainly importing Mass Effect's combo system is bringing some fresh teamwork to the table.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really in two minds about this. On one hand the game looks like it'll be a blast but on the other, there's EA. And the shenanigans that, in the case of Battlefront stopped me from purchasing the title based on an ip I've loved since a child. I recognize that not everyone cares about a loot box system but for me, peronally, any ip requires paypal to progress is an automatic no buy.

Cosmetics and DLC expansions are totally fine to me. I have no issue with them but anything tied to progression... I mean, the moment I relaize I need to purchase something to progress or get the full experience is immersion breaking for me. And so I actively avoid such titles to avoid that disappointment.

So I'm wondering where everyone stands on Anthem. Dispite how good it looks is there any hint of EA doing there EA thing with this one? Or are we on a "so far so good" trajectory here?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm really in two minds about this. On one hand the game looks like it'll be a blast but on the other, there's EA. And the shenanigans that, in the case of Battlefront stopped me from purchasing the title based on an ip I've loved since a child. I recognize that not everyone cares about a loot box system but for me, peronally, any ip requires paypal to progress is an automatic no buy.

Cosmetics and DLC expansions are totally fine to me. I have no issue with them but anything tied to progression... I mean, the moment I relaize I need to purchase something to progress or get the full experience is immersion breaking for me. And so I actively avoid such titles to avoid that disappointment.

So I'm wondering where everyone stands on Anthem. Dispite how good it looks is there any hint of EA doing there EA thing with this one? Or are we on a "so far so good" trajectory here?
I think we are firmly on a so far so good track here. Trust but verify. Bioware has expictly said many times that there will be no "pay for power" and the micro transactions included will be 100 percent for cosmetics. We'll see though, EA can always find a way to fuck things up

OP
OP
Ralemont

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

So far, so good. I'm sure there are monetization strategies at play they haven't fully talked about yet (for example, I expect any new Javelin classes to be paid DLC), but they've stuck by their motto of "no loot boxes, all story DLC will be free."

They've even said that all cosmetic items for purchase can also be earned in-game:

So while I think the healthy thing would be to have a little skepticism about how they will monetize Anthem, we at least have some solid info about how they will NOT monetize it.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I like everything I saw in the stream so far, except for random gear perks.

It is a mechanic clearly done to make the implementation of "supply cubes", if they choose to down the line, as easy as flipping a switch. The design of the RNG based gear perks is a far better "Skinner Box" mechanic than the grind based gear perks from a GaaS & monetization pov.

Also, your daily reminder that this is still an EA game.

Edit: Previous I wrote "gear score" but I meant the "gear perks" not the score mechanic.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
But isn't that half the appeal of loot games? Find treasure -> appraise -> sell/buy inventory. I'm personally not a fan, so don't have my finger on the pulse of modern loot games.

Not for me. My gameplay loop for loot games is Chase Treasure -> Acquire Treasure -> Play with Treasure. I don't manage or assess my inventory until I'm literally forced to because I'm out of room, and I just hate the entire process of pouring over stats to figure out what to get rid of and what to keep.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The end game is what will ultimately make a break the game. If there's nothing meaningful to chase and nothing at the end to continuously challenge and reward the player, people will lose interest. A game like this needs a pinnacle activity that is worth doing again.

Destiny's raids are pretty unique and something you don't find in other console games.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I like everything I saw in the stream so far, except for gear score.

It is a mechanic clearly done to make the implementation of "supply cubes", if they choose to down the line, as easy as flipping a switch. The design of the RNG based gear power is a far better "Skinner Box" mechanic than the grind based gear power from a GaaS & monetization pov.

Gear score is for lootboxes!?
Have you played literally any mmo game ever?
What an ignorant hot take

Edit: On second thought this take is so bad that I cant imagine making this argument in good faith, thanks for the concern trolling.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a disgruntled Destiny player who is sick of Bungie playing it safe with perks, rerolls and crafting, this stream was a breath of fresh air.

I love that Armor isnt tied to your light level so I can wear whichever helmet or chest piece I like without having to worry about what it might do to my light level or my build. The internal components having the light levels and perks is the best way to go about doing this.

I also really like the fact that you can craft weapons. If your luck is bad and you are just getting dups after dups, you can dismantle them and use those parts to craft the weapon that just wont drop. I still remember how I didnt get the Jade Rabbit for well over a year in Destiny. It was absolutely ridiculous. As good as forsaken is, i have a total of 4 exotic weapons despite hitting 600 after religously playing for five weeks.

I also like how they said you can do challenges to get a weapon like kill 10 bosses. this is basically the same as the three of coins system without any RNG behind it. this and crafting gives players a reason to come back and grind because we are always making progress. there is nothing worse than playing all day in destiny and getting a duplicate exotic or a weapon the same light level as your weapon becuase it feels like you made no progress. it's even worse after you hit 600 because there is nothing to do in terms of customizing or crafting gear you are missing.

I really like how they have up to four perks on top of the base stats for each weapons. And then for masterworks, two distinct abilities after that. Weapons and especially gear in destiny have limited stat bonuses and add absolutely nothing to your build variety. the best thing they were able to do was give you an extra grenade. i literally cant recall a single exotic helmet perk.

Little perks like faster cooldowns while hovering, more fire damage and chaining elemental damage go a long way towards creating builds so even after you hit max level, earning loot is exciting.

I am not going to pretend they are going to get it right the first time. even the diablo devs didnt and had to fix it all in Reaper of Souls. And this is bioware's first loot game. bungie still has no fucking clue after 4 years. but i like what i am hearing and what i am hearing regarding crafting, challenging and powerful perks has more in common with Diablo 3 than Destiny's loot system.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like everything I saw in the stream so far, except for gear score.

It is a mechanic clearly done to make the implementation of "supply cubes", if they choose to down the line, as easy as flipping a switch. The design of the RNG based gear power is a far better "Skinner Box" mechanic than the grind based gear power from a GaaS & monetization pov.

It could be that...

...or its just an in game mechanic to gate later content and give players some form of visual representation as to their ability to take on that content.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Gear score is for lootboxes!?
Have you played literally any mmo game ever?
What an ignorant hot take

Edit: On second thought this take is so bad that I cant imagine making this argument in good faith, thanks for the concern trolling.

I meant the random gear perks in the gear not the score number.

Not trolling but at least I won't be called a shill. Just a normal consumer looking at an EA product wondering how people will be fucked down the road.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we are firmly on a so far so good track here. Trust but verify. Bioware has expictly said many times that there will be no "pay for power" and the micro transactions included will be 100 percent for cosmetics. We'll see though, EA can always find a way to fuck things up
So far, so good. I'm sure there are monetization strategies at play they haven't fully talked about yet (for example, I expect any new Javelin classes to be paid DLC), but they've stuck by their motto of "no loot boxes, all story DLC will be free."

They've even said that all cosmetic items for purchase can also be earned in-game:

So while I think the healthy thing would be to have a little skepticism about how they will monetize Anthem, we at least have some solid info about how they will NOT monetize it.

I appreciate the info and responses here. I've preordered based on your feedback. Obviously some more due diligence is in order but I'll now start following news, updates and info. I platinumed MHW and this looks like the same type of genre allbeit different mechanics.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I meant the random gear perks in the gear not the score number.

Not trolling but at least I won't be called a shill. Just a normal consumer looking at an EA product wondering how people will be fucked down the road.

oh i see, not gear score, but random loot? random loot is now an evil machination by EA?
Diablo, The Division, Destiny, Path of Exile, must all be making so much money selling you in game gear.
Oh wait you're being ridiculous.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The alpha version where we stress-tested the server was less than stellar. I couldn't believe they released the alpha in a state like that!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I'm neither here nor there regarding EA, they're going to do what they're going to do.

My concern for Anthem is that it will burn bright and then slowly fade away.

Looter shooters are the apotheosis of repetition. Nothing they've shown looks grind able in the long run.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I'm neither here nor there regarding EA, they're going to do what they're going to do.

My concern for Anthem is that it will burn bright and then slowly fade away.
I have similar concerns, but as someone who has stuck by Bungie through 4 years of Destiny I've learned to take a lot of abuse and be patient. Which is definitely somewhat of a sad situation lol. Only time will tell.

Nov 14, 2017
If you're going to have an RNG based secondary stats in 2018/2019, you need to have an option to reroll those secondary stats. Every other loot based game that uses secondary RNG stats has gotten this right. Destiny 2, Division, and Diablo 3 all have the ability to reroll. WoW used to have the ability to reroll, but they removed RNG secondary stats entirely (so there was no need for rerolls anymore) if memory serves me.
Destiny 2 does not have the ability to reroll gear. On Y1 gear you can reroll the masterwork stat (which is just one stat), but on Y2 gear they made it so the masterwork type is fixed on drop.