• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

But.... why? How does having a speeder sound more fun than just blasting off at any moment to do the same thing a speeder can or go vertically and do something a speeder can't? That isn't even factoring in the underwater movement or the fact that you can alternate between hovering and flying in an instant. In what way does a speeder sound more interesting? What kind of speeders are you using?

Now thats sounds boring.

Like we get this type of movement option all the time, and flying sounds boring? I am honestly just more confused than anything.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have similar concerns, but as someone who has stuck by Bungie through 4 years of Destiny I've learned to take a lot of abuse and be patient. Which is definitely somewhat of a sad situation lol. Only time will tell.
Bungie is a good case study of this, they've shown that a consistent flow of content over short intervals (3 months) is critical to engagement. So much so they absorbed 2 extra dev teams to satiate the thirst for content. On top of this Anthem can't rely on a pvp mode to sustain once the content dries up.

Destiny was kept in the top echelons of streaming viewership due to Trials of Osiris between house of wolves and taken king content droughts.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
oh i see, not gear score, but random loot? random loot is now an evil machination by EA?
Diablo, The Division, Destiny, Path of Exile, must all be making so much money selling you in game gear.
Oh wait you're being ridiculous.

I didn't say random loot, I said random perks. That's my opinion you don't have to like it and I am not seeking your approval.

Also stop drinking.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
But.... why? How does having a speeder sound more fun than just blasting off at any moment to do the same thing a speeder can or go vertically and do something a speeder can't? That isn't even factoring in the underwater movement or the fact that you can alternate between hovering and flying in an instant. In what way does a speeder sound more interesting? What kind of speeders are you using?
Some people just might not like superman/ironman style flying? Just because a fancy iron-man suit can do all that crazy shit doesn't mean that everybody automatically has to say "yeah, this is the coolest thing ever!"

I'm with the guy you're quoting. I think hover bikes and the like are way cooler. And I don't get the reasoning behind "underwater movement" and "alternate between hovering and flying in an instant." It's a game. If the devs wanted to make a speeder hover bike whatever thing that could go underwater, alternate between hovering and flying, moving vertically, what's stopping them from doing it?

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana

Like we get this type of movement option all the time, and flying sounds boring? I am honestly just more confused than anything.

Look at Warframe. You can fly around the open world if you want or you use a kdrive. Yeah it's an extra button press but that's bc you got choices.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random Rolls and power gain are the worst part of Destiny 2 right now, but the minute changes in Anthem look far, far, FAR more promising than the nonsense I have to deal with in D2. My only worry now is finding that so called 'perfect roll' but it's not the best level and there's no way to bring it up to spec.

God, enhancement cores are the worst.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Warframe already had this exact kind of flight mechanic, yet their latest open world added hoverboards.
I fly whenever I can't be bothered to navigate the environment and use the hoverboard when I want to have fun - it feels more tactile, it's more interactive because you can't just fly over every obstacle, plus there's a whole trick system.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever talk about the map size btw?
Edit: Found something with abit missing at the bottom and top. Difficult to say how big it is.

anthem-map-size-screenshot.jpg.webp

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Some people just might not like superman/ironman style flying? Just because a fancy iron-man suit can do all that crazy shit doesn't mean that everybody automatically has to say "yeah, this is the coolest thing ever!"

I didn't say it was the coolest thing ever. Dude said it looked boring, and I asked how does it look boring in comparison to speeders or mounts, which tons of games already have.

I'm with the guy you're quoting. I think hover bikes and the like are way cooler. And I don't get the reasoning behind "underwater movement" and "alternate between hovering and flying in an instant." It's a game. If the devs wanted to make a speeder hover bike whatever thing that could go underwater, alternate between hovering and flying, moving vertically, what's stopping them from doing it?

The reasoning is that are more mechanics to interact with, thus giving the player more than "move across land faster". You are correct in that they can make some kind of vehicle do the same thing, but they haven't and Bioware has. Thus, the reasoning behind my comments, obviously.

As far as Warframe goes, that game is the best of the best in third person movement mechanics. I would rather bullet jump than use the hover board any day of the week and the Arkwing isn't integrated as well as the flying in Anthem. The air mobility stuff is one of the most fun aspects to use in Warframe.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which is really good news. So much easier to make fun, overpowered builds, and avoid constant nerfing when you don't have to balance for PvP.
Personally, I'd be more interested if there was pvp. Not to mention the modes can be balanced separately if need be.

Still looking forward to it either way, but as of right now my hesitation is with how much content they'll have on offer and what the post launch support will look like, whereas I would've preordered already had there been pvp.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they meant it's new for online loot shooters, which I think is true? I don't remember the stat in Destiny 1, haven't played others though.

Certainly importing Mass Effect's combo system is bringing some fresh teamwork to the table.
It has something similar to Mass Effect's combo system. The detonation ability applied is dependent on not only what kind of primer is applied, but what kind of javelin detonates it. That'll make for some pretty deep strategizing and metas, in my opinion.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
So far, so good. I'm sure there are monetization strategies at play they haven't fully talked about yet (for example, I expect any new Javelin classes to be paid DLC), but they've stuck by their motto of "no loot boxes, all story DLC will be free."

Given the existing javelin classes are tied to story choices, this would be going against their all story DLC is free, right? Or are you saying new Javelins have the potential to just be added with no story.

Because BioWare betrayed the world with the Mass Effect 3 ending and the world hasn't forgiven BioWare for it yet.

I still liked the concept of that ending. Idk which one I played but I liked it.

Destiny's raids are pretty unique and something you don't find in other console games.

I feel like everything in an evergreen style game will always wear on players after a while.

Raids can be that thing, but maybe it's the actual story content or scored missions with leaderboards or weekly goals or rotating exclusive skins like Fortnite. There's a lot to keep players in.

Feels like people always think it has to be really difficult content, which is also difficult to make, but it's really just a good replayable content cycle with some rewards that make players feel special for participating.

I've heard that it was pretty great!

Also it's 100% totally fair to have hundreds of reservations about this game for a myriad of reasons.

I'm just waiting for the beta to try myself. Though I am wondering if I may go with Origin to start on their Pass trial, then adding it to my PS4 as well if I like it.

The alpha version where we stress-tested the server was less than stellar. I couldn't believe they released the alpha in a state like that!

I laughed lol

I think hover bikes are cool, too. But what's stopping them is probably the hours upon hours they put into getting flight right. Lol

Mostly, I just wanted to say it'd be great, but if I'm honest I really don't care after the first few times traversing around. Just get me where I'm going. Lol

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Personally, I'd be more interested if there was pvp. Not to mention the modes can be balanced separately if need be.

Still looking forward to it either way, but as of right now my hesitation is with how much content they'll have on offer and what the post launch support will look like, whereas I would've preordered already had there been pvp.
Yeah, I'm the opposite. I almost never touch PvP in these games, and too many games have shown that PvE balance always suffers when it shares mechanics and gear with PvP.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I think they will probably add some kind of PvP later down the line. Its a shame to have to adjust PvE weapons just to balance them, aka the way Destiny did.

Some interesting Anthem themed sports games or similar would probably work. Adds the competitve mode but take out the need to focus on baancing weapons.

OP
OP
Ralemont

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Given the existing javelin classes are tied to story choices, this would be going against their all story DLC is free, right? Or are you saying new Javelins have the potential to just be added with no story.

I think DLC Javelins have the potential to be added with no story, yeah. That's just a guess though based on the fact that what we know about Anthem monetization makes it sound like it's under-monetized, if anything. So I'm a bit skeptical that a la carte cosmetic MTX are all they have planned, but I'm not sure where the other moolah is coming from if there's no lootboxes and story DLC is free.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I'm gonna take a wild guess it'll be super fun to play but the story will just be dead a doorknob. Drop in out co-op, story only happening in those instanced fortresses or whatever, theres gonna be zero stakes, zero story decisions, big bummer for older Bioware fans but good news for people who likes ME multiplayer.

So literally Destiny/Bungie.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch right now but is it all numbers and %? Or are the legendary/high tiers have crazy abilities/skills that can alter your playstyle ala Diablo 3 or some Destiny 2 weapons?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't watch right now but is it all numbers and %? Or are the legendary/high tiers have crazy abilities/skills that can alter your playstyle ala Diablo 3 or some Destiny 2 weapons?
The higher tiers have inscriptions that add different things. One of them was an AoE electric explosion on kill. Seems to be there is an emphasis on the combo potential of weapons and skills, so many skills from your class and the other will link to the elemental attacks etc. The video showed off a huge ability yo have different builds for different styles.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The higher tiers have inscriptions that add different things. One of them was an AoE electric explosion on kill. Seems to be there is an emphasis on the combo potential of weapons and skills, so many skills from your class and the other will link to the elemental attacks etc. The video showed off a huge ability yo have different builds for different styles.
Lovely, the loot whore in me is definitely hyped. This is shaping up to be my favorite game next year if they can at least maintain some semblance of story unlike Destiny/Diablo

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lovely, the loot whore in me is definitely hyped. This is shaping up to be my favorite game next year if they can at least maintain some semblance of story unlike Destiny/Diablo
The loot video was a good watch, just to give you an idea of how their loot plan is taking shape. I certainly like the tiers and how the various parts of them help make some interesting builds. I hope they keep expanding in that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait for the customization. And the game supported by it. The Legion of Dawn stuff already looks awesome.

u7hmv8a6wg311.jpg

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cant wait for the customization. And the game supported by it. The Legion of Dawn stuff already looks awesome.

u7hmv8a6wg311.jpg
One thing I hope they do is manage to get some more crossover items. I know they have N7 etc but I would love to see some more varied crossover.

Also, how long till the Ironman designs appear from Forge?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I hope they do is manage to get some more crossover items. I know they have N7 etc but I would love to see some more varied crossover.

Also, how long till the Ironman designs appear from Forge?

It will happen for sure yeah haha.

I love how the Storm looks btw and the Interceptor looks alot better also with the Legion of Dawn skin.