• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is semantics?

I mean... isn't it common knowledge that the "final bits" delivered on discs is often weeks or months out of date by the time it hits the shelves? Some games "go gold" closer to release than others. Is it not so big a stretch to consider that the bits on the disc are similar if not identical to the bits in the digital versions that exist on their respective marketplaces' servers prior to launch? (hence preloading).

If that is the case, then it should be obvious to people that these "day 1/day 8" patches - that are almost ALWAYS delivered with games these days - aren't going to be part of the picture until launch? Was Destiny even playable a week early for reviewers?

I dunno. I do think EA need to adjust the marketing/asterisks. But this shouldn't be surprising given what we know. EA just happen to be one of the few publishers that sell this sort of early access pre-launch thing.
We are not arguing whether games should have Day 1 patches or not here, but the fact that this isn't really a day 1 patch since the game has already been released (and EA has been collecting money).

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think it's amazing, that EA managed to find a way to get their customers buying expensive versions/subscribe to their ea access thing, to betatest a game.

lol

I'm one of the idiots who paid £15 extra for a weeks early access and it was due to peer pressure, I was happy to wait but my mate was super hyped for the game "IT'S FUCKING IRONMAN" so I caved as I like playing with him. Honestly though, I've been enjoying it for the most part, and I got my key for £25 so in the end I still paid less than the RRP. I haven't finished the story yet but I'm one of the people who do enjoy it, IMO they've nailed the RPG aspect of the game and I like most of the characters. The gameplay is fun, flying around and killing well designed monsters is enjoyable and that's the most important thing in this type of game, grinding has to be fun. I think they've got a solid base to work with, but it is content light and they need to change their minds on several things. Loot is a major downside and in a loot shooter that's bad, it's all the same and just boring as hell. Overall I'll easily get my monies worth, I already have about 25 hours into it and I'm not even max level. I really wish they'd improve performance though, even on a GTX 1080 / 8600k @ 4.GHz I'm having to play on medium preset at 1080p to keep above 60fps at all times.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt expecting this. But the game runs quite smoother on X now. Tearing is also gone for me and even Tarsis runs quite solid. Coming out of your suit was first tearing like crazy and low frames.
You notice that also Dark1x? Or maybe my freesync is working now correctly.

Small combat vid on the open world on a mission with randoms. And a Taris out of suit spawn.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I'm one of the idiots who paid £15 extra for a weeks early access and it was due to peer pressure, I was happy to wait but my mate was super hyped for the game "IT'S FUCKING IRONMAN" so I caved as I like playing with him. Honestly though, I've been enjoying it for the most part, and I got my key for £25 so in the end I still paid less than the RRP. I haven't finished the story yet but I'm one of the people who do enjoy it, IMO they've nailed the RPG aspect of the game and I like most of the characters. The gameplay is fun, flying around and killing well designed monsters is enjoyable and that's the most important thing in this type of game, grinding has to be fun. I think they've got a solid base to work with, but it is content light and they need to change their minds on several things. Loot is a major downside and in a loot shooter that's bad, it's all the same and just boring as hell. Overall I'll easily get my monies worth, I already have about 25 hours into it and I'm not even max level. I really wish they'd improve performance though, even on a GTX 1080 / 8600k @ 4.GHz I'm having to play on medium preset at 1080p to keep above 60fps at all times.

While I pre ordered (for some reason) this post really sums up a lot of my feelings on the game. Overall I've been happy with it. I've been playing the interceptor and I find that there is a pretty high skill cap. It also reminds me a lot of vanilla wow at this point.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wasnt expecting this. But the game runs quite smoother on X now. Tearing is also gone for me and even Tarsis runs quite solid. Coming out of your suit was first tearing like crazy and low frames.
You notice that also Dark1x? Or maybe my freesync is working now correctly.

Small combat vid on the open world on a mission with randoms. And a Taris out of suit spawn.

Yes! I'm working on a video now discussing performance from VIP, first release and day one and how it's changed. There have been a lot of changes and many things for the better...but it's not all rosy. I'm glad to see they're making good progress, though.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! I'm working on a video now discussing performance from VIP, first release and day one and how it's changed. There have been a lot of changes and many things for the better...but it's not all rosy. I'm glad to see they're making good progress, though.
Thats good to hear its not only me haha.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
I'd hardly call 6 years of development rushed. Stop blaming EA for Bioware's issues

Oh yeah, we all heard of several problems during development. People leaving the project, etc.
But because those problems happened (plus Fortbite, yada yada), the project suffered delays obviously. And EA didnt want to delay it any further so they wanted the game out in order to recoup some of the investment. But as we can see, it just wasnt ready. Its just what i think.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
The store mentions HDR support, running it on a LG C7 and it's not being triggered - day one patch installed.

Anyone else that's had a chance to check post-patch experiencing the same?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Did EA just admit the game was in early access despite advertising it as a full game for people who paid extra to play early?

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
What happened to HDR on Xbox? Deactivated? oversight in most recent patch or removed to gain slight perf elsewhere? On the plus side, loading is better and my settings actually remain now so that's a plus but no HDR (hopefully temporarily) is disappointing

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
To me the load screen issues isn't just how long they are, but in a generation where we've had so many amazing implementations and utilization of memory, seamless open worlds like Batman Arkham Knight and masked transitions like in Destiny, it's just too jarring to have areas in this game where the game reaches a screetching halt and you gotta stare at a static screen while it loads. It's not only that but the transition often just isn't there. It feels abrupt and stilted for a game that was supposed to be shared world and seamlessly interconnected.

They could reduce load times to 10 seconds and I would've still found it jarring the way they implemented mode and area transitioning.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I literally paid extra to play early.
Why? If anything, subbing for Premier saves you money instead of buying the full game to play on Feb 22nd. With the game at this state, most sane people wouldn't continue their subscription past the first month. Unless if you sub to Premier AND purchase the full game, which is all on you, tbh.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why? If anything, subbing for Premier saves you money instead of buying the full game to play on Feb 22nd. With the game at this state, most sane people wouldn't continue their subscription past the first month. Unless if you sub to Premier AND purchase the full game, which is all on you, tbh.

Because I want to own my game after I unsub from their garbage service. I bought the game, then effectively had to kick 15$ into a bucket if I wanted to play the week early. I don't mind paying extra but let's not pretend you didn't have to pay extra to play early and actually own the game.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
For me on Xbox One X the game still triggers HDR, but HDR is borked. Prior to the patch, the game looked fantastic in HDR. I had the brightness setting at 48 as it is instructed here the icon on the left was barely visible. Now I have to have it at 54, but then everything is overly bright giving blacks a greyish tone. In dark scenes you can barely make out the back of your Javelin. Turning off HDR it looks great, but it looked so much better prior to the patch. I hope they fix it very quick as I really don't want to play the game without HDR...especially how fantastic the game looked prior to the patch.

Nov 16, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Cx2E7fP.png

It should be the n°1 priority.

The hell of it is, in the initial E3 reveal when that masterwork gun dropped, she just popped open a menu, equipped it and was right back literally like how Destiny does it. Just... It boggles my mind how it ended up like this.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Has anyone found a fix for the random frame rate drops/ V-sync issues or stutter that are not GPU or CPU related? I cannot achieve a locked 60 fps even when dropping resolution to 720p on my 2080 ti! Either the V-sync is completely broken or there are serious streaming/server issues going on. Before the patch I had 60 fps 99 procent of the time on 1800p and all drops/stutter could be explained by high GPU usage.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
For me on Xbox One X the game still triggers HDR, but HDR is borked. Prior to the patch, the game looked fantastic in HDR. I had the brightness setting at 48 as it is instructed here the icon on the left was barely visible. Now I have to have it at 54, but then everything is overly bright giving blacks a greyish tone. In dark scenes you can barely make out the back of your Javelin. Turning off HDR it looks great, but it looked so much better prior to the patch. I hope they fix it very quick as I really don't want to play the game without HDR...especially how fantastic the game looked prior to the patch.

Interesting, I'm on an LG OLED and the game definitely is no longer triggering HDR for me.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People don't pay extra to pay early. Stop spreading misinformation.

I did. I bought the regular edition but didn't want to wait a week so I paid £15 for a month of Premier. I did the same with Battlefield V. When you unsub from Premier one of the options as to why is literally "I only wanted to play a game early".