• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing is that they haven't told reviewers that the proper version is coming seven days later. They provided the current version of the game as the version to review, then tried to change that a few days before because they saw the game was going to get bad reviews
Reminds me a bit of reviews for Lost Odyssey that had outdated review copies with REALLY long load times. The retail release of the game still had lots of load times, but nowhere nears as frequent or long as the review copies. The review scores didn't change, however, even though the copies reviewed weren't the copies players bought.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't like the system, fine, but don't act like this is one of the boneheaded decisions Bioware made when it's a design championed by two of the best loot games on the damned market.

That seems like a misunderstanding of how those loot games work compared to Anthem. You aren't getting frequent drops that you're quickly turning around and using. Gear in those games are something you're progressing towards more deliberately, not switching out on the fly as new things that may or may not be better quickly come along.

It is absolutely a boneheaded decision when it doesn't work in tandem with how the loot in the game is setup, which is exactly what BioWare has done.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
EA has sent a note to reviewers with the changes, but they've also asked in that note for reviewers to play the version with the day one patch before publishing their reviews.

They need to rethink how they do shit. If the game is out there, it is obviously fair game for review AS IS. Like, people are done with the game. They aren't going to go back and replay it a second time.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Well, at least I won't have to fix my settings every time I play anymore (once the patch gets here) :-/ Although the notes do only say "should no longer reset"...I'd be interested in how that got missed and why there doesn't seem to be a certainty behind the fix.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
That seems like a misunderstanding of how those loot games work compared to Anthem. You aren't getting frequent drops that you're quickly turning around and using. Gear in those games are something you're progressing towards more deliberately, not switching out on the fly as new things that may or may not be better quickly come along.

It is absolutely a boneheaded decision when it doesn't work in tandem with how the loot in the game is setup, which is exactly what BioWare has done.
You don't see what items you drop in anthem. You only pick up glowy prisms that let you see their rarity by colour but you don't know what they are.
It is absolutely in tandem with the loadout design

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not true, at least in Warframe. You're constantly adjusting your mods because those drop, are farmed, etc. Frames, yeah, those take time.

MH:W, in the end game, does rely heavily on min/maxing specific load outs but I still at least switched load outs between most rounds because there isn't really a "best" load out.

I havent played the Anthem end game so I don't know how much time is spent in load outs between rounds, how often your dismantling vs keeping gear, etc. I am sure there will be a point where you spend less time tweaking and relying more on load outs that you've tuned.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
EA has sent a note to reviewers with the changes, but they've also asked in that note for reviewers to play the version with the day one patch before publishing their reviews.

You know you fucked up when you have to send notes like that. This whole launch is a bigger shit show than the game itself.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not true, at least in Warframe. You're constantly adjusting your mods because those drop, are farmed, etc. Frames, yeah, those take time.

MH:W, in the end game, does rely heavily on min/maxing specific load outs but I still at least switched load outs between most rounds because there isn't really a "best" load out.

I havent played the Anthem end game so I don't know how much time is spent in load outs between rounds, how often your dismantling vs keeping gear, etc. I am sure there will be a point where you spend less time tweaking and relying more on load outs that you've tuned.

My Warframe experience was different, since I typically knew exactly what mods I was aiming for in any given weapon (and a lot of them were typically the same from weapon to weapon, until you start introducing things like Rivens).

You could be right that it evens out at end-game, at which point if they can just reduce the loading it will be less of a big deal. But right now I think the loading is so severe that any system in place that doesn't account for it counts as boneheaded.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely floored at how hilarious it is that EA is demanding their cake and eating it too. sorry if you're charging for it it's eligible to be reviewed

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's not directly the cause of it but I do enjoy seeing the whole spreadsheet-matrix-release-schedule thing come around to bite them in the ass.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe people are trying to defend this game by name dropping Warframe and even....Monster Hunter?

I just imagined how shitty it would be if you couldn't equip loot drops right away in the division lol

Anthem doesn't know what kind of game it wants to be and that's the problem

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So this is an epic clusterfuck. The patch basically means the game is far from finished. Well done EA.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks captain hyperbole.

He's not wrong. Anthem is fundamentally bad. Like, there's a huge list of technical issues that can be addressed as evidenced by this patch alone, but that doesn't fix the underlying game. It's barren and incredibly bland at it's best. The thing you do in the first hour is the thing you're still doing at the end of the game. The loot is horrifically uninteresting, and the way the drops work is terrible. The combat is incredibly boring; enemy AI is wholly uninteresting and the shooting feels bad. Combos aren't explained by the game at all, and even when you do get around to figuring out how that system works it doesn't matter. There's no incentive to use it really, and using it isn't fun.

Anthem is super barebones. And as these patch notes detail, kind of broken in a lot of ways!

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cx2E7fP.png

It should be the n°1 priority.

Wow wtf.... thats just bad design period

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
The patch comes today in 4-6 hours according to their live stream.

This twitch stream they're doing isn't instilling much confidence.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stream is an absolute disaster. Not a single goddam clear answer.
"Will there be text chat?"

"You see the problem with that question yadda yadda yadda something about accessibility yadda yadda oh dont worry you can see a red arrow in your compass so you can see enemies behind you."

Jun 1, 2018
Technically no one was able to "buy" the game. You paid for subscription service that give you early access to the game, but you don't own the game. As soon as you stop paying subscription fees you no longer have the game. It's a perk of EA Access and Origin Premier to play early and while I agree the game should have had the patch already, people are really acting entitled when at most $15 was paid.

YOU GET THE FULL GAME - thats what they advertised NOT early access launch

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am so keen to actually use my shield while rezzing as Colossus now. I can be the tank everyone wants me to be and that I am destined to be.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this gets EA to stop with their bullshit 10 day early access stuff, it is killing the hype for their games but also killing now review scores and user reception. It killed battlefield 5 and now its gonna kill Anthem, its incredible how stupid EA leadership is for not recognizing this.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Isn't it just 10 hour trial on Xbox? Seems bit disingenuous to say it's already released on 2 platforms. It's fully playable only on PC.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Have they said anything about changing gear anywhere? Or at least being able to in more places?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Anthem is not an early access game, it's a game that you got to play early. Might be confusing to some but it makes total sense to me, early access means a game that is not feature complete to be releases yet, the game that you're buying on the 22nd and the one that I paid for on the 15th are the same.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Anthem is not an early access game, it's a game that you got to play early. Might be confusing to some but it makes total sense to me, early access means a game that is not feature complete to be releases yet, the game that you're buying on the 22nd and the one that I paid for on the 15th are the same.
Except the list of QOL improvements and bug fixes and full access on the two biggest platforms...... yeah fully released.....

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
This stream is an absolute disaster. Not a single goddam clear answer.
"Will there be text chat?"

"You see the problem with that question yadda yadda yadda something about accessibility yadda yadda oh dont worry you can see a red arrow in your compass so you can see enemies behind you."

I don't even know why they are so wishy-washy about answering the text-chat issue, since they HAD been saying in multiple occasions there won't be text-chat. They kept using CVAA as a defense, but still so indecisive in their answers.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The patch will go live in a couple of hours, by that logic my premier Anthem access will suddenly turn it to the "full release"?
No, the release on the two major platforms and for PC users that actually bought the game will make it the full release. The vast majority have no way of actually getting to the game yet. Those who pre-ordered it don't have access yet. It's not launched.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
22th feb is the (launch day) huh, so the gamers who played it early was kinda beta testers.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Are you guys serious here? You do realize the only way to really play the game early is on PC right? The EA Access is a 10 hour trial, it's not the entire game.

This is still a day 1 patch. Playing the game early is a perk people can choose to use, or they can choose not to.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
No, the release on the two major platforms and for PC users that actually bought the game will make it the full release. The vast majority have no way of actually getting to the game yet. Those who pre-ordered it don't have access yet. It's not launched.
So games that were later launched on other platforms like Nier automata were never fully released?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why they are so wishy-washy about answering the text-chat issue, since they HAD been saying in multiple occasions there won't be text-chat. They kept using CVAA as a defense, but still so indecisive in their answers.
Why would people on a PR tour ever flatly admit to a weakness in their product? The real mystery is that they admitted to it in the first place, rather than just saying "We'll see, maybe in the future."

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So games that were later launched on other platforms like Nier automata were never fully released?
The people who bought the game on PC can't even play it yet? This game was advertised as full release simultaneously for PC, PS4 and X-box. Only those who bough Origin Premier can play it early and they called it early access. How can you consider that launched when it's only available to such a small amount of users who bought a service, not even the game?