• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW, all PS4/XB1 releases of Anthem are ringing up as a dollar at most (if not all) Walmarts.
It's still YMMV, as I've been to different Walmarts and seen it for $20 at one, and $1 at the other, but yeah: you can find it for $1 if you get "lucky". I picked up the last two copies this particular store had, just for the cheap, brand new spare PS4 box... lmao.

3od888b.png

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
$1 is still a bit too much for this game lol j/k. I actually load this game up on the rare occasion. The core combat and flight mechanics are still top notch. But, if Anthem 2.0 is not f2p I'm not touching it.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel this game got an excessively bad rep.

Yeah, it had many issues, but I paid basically full price and definitely got my money's worth. I know there was a lot wrong with it, but it's treated like actual worst game ever, and that's very far from the case imo.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Bought this (very) cheaply for PS4 a while back... and have started playing it now.

Was wondering if there is a Era guild to join?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happened to the complete overhaul of this? Did it release? Is it still coming?
Not out, but still being worked on. They update the BioWare blog every so often with new info on what they're planning. Here's the latest one:

blog.bioware.com

Anthem Update – Javelin Gameplay & Builds

Hello Friends! Here we are again with the NEXT Anthem blog. Better late than never…really excited to share a glimpse into the thoughts and ideas behind the great work the team has been exploring. I…

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Whatever happened to the complete overhaul of this? Did it release? Is it still coming?

Its happening. They even have a new biome, skill trees and a new javelin coming. I felt it was worth a purchase at this point. $10 with a PS Plus discount wont kill me. I won't install until I get a PS5 though. Those enormous load times killed any interest in me buying it on current consoles and the new hardware should take some of the sting out of it.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not out, but still being worked on. They update the BioWare blog every so often with new info on what they're planning. Here's the latest one:

blog.bioware.com

Anthem Update – Javelin Gameplay & Builds

Hello Friends! Here we are again with the NEXT Anthem blog. Better late than never…really excited to share a glimpse into the thoughts and ideas behind the great work the team has been exploring. I…
Seems like they're figuring out a plan forward. Now it's just a matter to see if they can actually get there. I hope they do.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like they're figuring out a plan forward. Now it's just a matter to see if they can actually get there. I hope they do.
I know I am a broken clock on being a stan for this game - but this stuff they are showing looks so good and even the current, basically untouched combat is so, so, SO much better than pretty much anything else out there. I desperately want this game to come back as a real live serice.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Will always hold out hope this game gets its proper chance, new hardware could be a large part of that working out.

Combat in this and Avengers was never really an issue for me, it's one of the things game devs absolutely know how to get right. It's the world, things to do and reward for doing them that are most important in an ongoing game (oh and being bug-free too, lol). At least Anthem has the kind of world that feels good to be in and traverse (and feels more Iron Man than Avengers ever will when you play Storm) and with new consoles with speedy load times the whole package has a chance, Avengers doesn't even have an open world, just small samey destinations picked from a list, such a joke. It'll be amazing if this game ends up better supported and in a better shape than it... could not have imagined that possible a few months back, but there's a chance. All that really says though is how dire the superhero game is right now.

Dec 25, 2018
On a break from all gaas games at the moment but will definitely return to the game on PC when the 2.0 update is out, like what I've read about the changes and new stuff so far.

Anthem NEXT Cancelled
OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It is an expected announcement from Bioware today... but still quite a bitter one as this game started a lot for me; my first OT and the design work and videos I made about the game helped net me a job in the games industry. That aside Anthem has been left to die... quietly in the corner now.

You can read about the official announcement of the cancellation here:
blog.bioware.com

Anthem Update

Friends, In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue…

You can discuss this with fellow Era Members in the main news thread by --R here:
www.resetera.com

[Official] Anthem Next has been cancelled News

https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

Many of us have moved on from Anthem now and there are other live service and cooperative experiences that we're putting our time into but I will say I was curious to see what an Anthem 2.0/NEXT could be and would do to the game. Alas, we will never see that now. As this OT has already kind of died and will likely fade further into the ether of Era now, I just wanted to take a moment to say Thank You to everyone who posted here and enjoyed the OT and Anthem at launch or after. I had a blast making this OT, it was my very first and I've gone on to make many more since but you always remember your first... right?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
And thank you so much for the OT!
This OT also holds something of a place in my heart for being the push I needed to make an account after lurking for so long, just so I could join in on the discussion.

I also really wanted to see what an Anthem 2.0 could be, and I still believe this game has the bones to turn into something great if given the chance. Alas there are only finite development resources available - especially in the age of COVID, and I can't exactly blame management for feeling that the time, energy and money could be better spent on other projects, as much as I wish for an ARR style comeback.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, iFirez .

I remember how exciting this game was leading up to release. Such a shame. Nothing captures the feeling of the Interceptor mobility combo to this day for me

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
What's the best alternative to Anthem. I just bought it cheap and it's still got quick matchmaking!
Depends on what you're looking for in your GaaS? If you want the flight type controls there is nothing really better than Anthem imo. If you want solid gun play above all else I'd say Destiny 2.

If it's more looter shooter you're looking at - Destiny still fits that model but then you can add Division 2 and Warframe to the mix. Warframe doesn't have the same type of movement as Anthem, but I think it's the fastest paced movement of the shooter/looters I mentioned.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
OMFG, the Trumper who was trampled to death was carrying a Gadsden flag. ("Dont tread on me".)
What's the best alternative to Anthem. I just bought it cheap and it's still got quick matchmaking!
Depends on what you're looking for in your GaaS? If you want the flight type controls there is nothing really better than Anthem imo. If you want solid gun play above all else I'd say Destiny 2.

If it's more looter shooter you're looking at - Destiny still fits that model but then you can add Division 2 and Warframe to the mix. Warframe doesn't have the same type of movement as Anthem, but I think it's the fastest paced movement of the shooter/looters I mentioned.

Like Anthem, Warframe also plays really well with a controller if you're into that or on a console.

AkIRA_22

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a massive fan of D or D2. But I always forget about Warframe.

It's areal shame, because if given the effort, the world of Anthem could have been pretty good.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a new game coming, called Outriders. Worth a look. I have only seen videos, but it looks promising.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It is an expected announcement from Bioware today... but still quite a bitter one as this game started a lot for me; my first OT and the design work and videos I made about the game helped net me a job in the games industry. That aside Anthem has been left to die... quietly in the corner now.

You can read about the official announcement of the cancellation here:
blog.bioware.com

Anthem Update

Friends, In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue…

You can discuss this with fellow Era Members in the main news thread by --R here:
www.resetera.com

[Official] Anthem Next has been cancelled News

https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

Many of us have moved on from Anthem now and there are other live service and cooperative experiences that we're putting our time into but I will say I was curious to see what an Anthem 2.0/NEXT could be and would do to the game. Alas, we will never see that now. As this OT has already kind of died and will likely fade further into the ether of Era now, I just wanted to take a moment to say Thank You to everyone who posted here and enjoyed the OT and Anthem at launch or after. I had a blast making this OT, it was my very first and I've gone on to make many more since but you always remember your first... right?

Thanks iFirez your OT was great and the videos were fabby, I am so glad you got some extra benefit from them too.

I was very curious to see how 2.0 would have turned out there have been plenty of games last generation which has shined after getting some extra love over time.

Shame.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I just bought a brand new physical copy for 60 cents to understand all the critics about this game. How many hours can I get by just playing the main story?

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I just bought a brand new physical copy for 60 cents to understand all the critics about this game. How many hours can I get by just playing the main story?
A good 10-15 hours, I'd say. The main combat loop of the game was always great in my opinion but my main critique is the lack of depth and solid story development. The game pretty much enters a "I've seen everything" sort of mentality for the player after hour 2 or 3.