• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Datto has a pretty scathing but also optimistic set of impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GReeC7SuFe8&feature=youtu.be
Basically, there really isn't much new here for vets of loot shooters. But, if you enjoy the combat/gameplay, have friends who want to play, and enjoy the min/max game, he's confident that BW will make this game better with age.

Based on some of the complaints on various forums and Datto's video, BioWare might have been better off making agame without guns. Your abilities are one of the highlights of the game and the driving force behind combat as well.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on some of the complaints on various forums and Datto's video, BioWare might have been better off making agame without guns. Your abilities are one of the highlights of the game and the driving force behind combat as well.
TBH, I think the gunplay is fantastic. It just sounds like the gulf between them and abilities need to be bridged or lessened in some way. For me, I never ever felt my weapons were so useless that I might as well wait for my abilities, but I only got to play the EA Access demo and none of the end game.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After 35 hours with the game, I am starting processing that a lot of the design decisions in this game cannot be the work of a competent, veteran developer like Bioware in the sense of "This is exactly how we wanted things to be."

More and more I am looking at the crack of the things that are presented to me in this game, and more and more I see that there are a lot of systems here that were completely aborted and then retrofitted into a coherent, shippable release candidate because the development was hellish for any number of reasons.

Mind you, I am not saying "Please give Bioware a chance", because frankly, the release of this game is inexcusable. It is broken beyond belief, but I am just now in the process of trying to understand what happened.

What saddens me, and what I frankly am seeing everywhere in this industry except for the devs of Warframe and Division, is the DENIAL of the developers and people attached to the project in admitting that the game is fundamentally flawed and it will take time to fix it. They are riding this as if Anthem is already a big success and it just needs "some bug fixes."

Nothing can fix Fort Tarsis. Nothing. The gear progression is taped together, EVERY equipment draws from the same pool to generate the affixes. I got a storm component that gave me +12 Blast Damage, +10 Blast Damage, +13 Blast Damage. Three separate affixes that give the same bonus because each of them is taken from the pool and generated. Trying to dismantle items too fast gives a "Conexion Error", every time.

I just wished they recognized that it will be a rough launch and already tempered expectations, but fuck me if thats ever going to happen.

Why would literally any game dev or publisher admit that? No quicker way to kill the game

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I think the gunplay is fantastic. It just sounds like the gulf between them and abilities need to be bridged or lessened in some way. For me, I never ever felt my weapons were so useless that I might as well wait for my abilities, but I only got to play the EA Access demo and none of the end game.

Same here. I only played for 10 hours over the long weekend. I think the gunplay is above TD but a few steps below Destiny. It is just that the abilities are so much more fun to use. That said, I still think it has the best gameplay of any BioWare game to date.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
I guess I would like know how Bioware played this game. Like so many people are finishing the missions and being well below level cap. Were they constantly doing freeroam and contracts in between? At least in other games when you finish the main story you finish at level, or at least very close to it. Nevermind them thinking the constant loading was acceptable, in a game coming out in 2019 it's just not, how could they think that finishing at level 20 and then making you grind to get to 30, only to then grind again as the "endgame" was a good idea?

Also, are builds even a thing? That was one of the big selling points I thought for endgame, but so far seems like there aren't any real crazy, or even fun, builds. It's early I know but I figured we'd see some by now

I really like the actual game, but everything around it really is questionable to just plain bad. I'm still planning on getting at launch to play with friends and I have spare credit/giftcards so I'm not really paying anything out of pocket, but otherwise this is really a game to wait and see what happens. The day one patch will help some things but there are really glaring issues right out the gate here.

You think you have QA?........ LOL........QA is usually the first department to get chopped

Oct 30, 2017
United States

In addition to that, their masterwork properties change the way you use them drastically (On top of that, you can add triple gun sigils to increase the damage by 90%)

For example, the blastback heavy pistol does triple damage when hovering. If you combine that with different javelins:

• The Storm can boost its weakpoint damage while hovering with the gunslinger's mark component, and is the king of hovering
  • The Ranger can boost its hovertime significanlty with 2 components, and has abilities boost its gun damage by 210% easily (Venom Darts + Muster Point + epic component)
  • The interceptor can use both target beacon and a class specific component to boost its damage by 210% as well (acid bomb + target beacon + epic component)
Another example is the elemental rage, that boost elemental damage on hits to elites: Imagine a Ice Storm / Burning Orb Storm, or a Lightning Coil / Flamethrower colossus with that gun in their hands

Or we can even take the beloved devastator sniper rifle: Again, the ranger and interceptor can double their gun damage easily, but on top of that the ranger has components that boost blast damage by 50% (and bast damage boost comes on inscriptions as well).

I agree that the guns aren't the focus on the gameplay, but each javelin definitely has ways were they get ridiculously powerful when you interweave gun damage with abilities. All the example I gave above were with epic components, save for the gunslinger storm, so that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Warframe was, at launch, and it still is, a free to play game. One of the best T2P games, actually. It didnt require a 15$ fee, or a 60$ purchase to try it. A 60$ dollar price would warrant a fully functional game, I guess.

Good point about it being f2p.

Destiny has never had some of the glitches and other technical issues that Anthem does. D1 and D2 were/are extremely polished. They both may have had content issues, but even then Destiny had a working loot system and something to work towards (raid)

Except D1 and D2 get to the point where the only thing you can do for high end gear is specific content. Otherwise you get worse power level gear. Anthem makes all content still valid for gearing. Even with all the technical issues the game may have now, the real killer to these sorts of games is content. Anthem has way more content then destiny 1 or 2 at launch.

Division had good min/max game (not perfect by any means) and at least a little bit of carrot on the stick with DZ, incursions, and gear sets and builds.

Anthem has a better build variety because there are more unique skills. The way affixes work in anthem provides for a better min maxing game then division at launch.

Again people complain about the bugs, but the real thing that decides the fate of these games is the amount of content which Anthem has a good amount of release content.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Played a bit more. A thing that really bothers me is how little immersion there is in this game. Like, the world just feels so static. There's nothing really interesting to see or do outside the combat, there's no reason to explore. The environments never react to my character. It just lacks that tactile feel where everything has weight and feels grounded. It just feels so "hollow".

English is not my primary language so I'm struggling to convey my thoughts, but hopefully I'm getting the point across.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Titan location, anyone?

I keep checking the tree area that people list, but they're never there.

There's also one if you head right immediately from the main entrance, and hug all the way to the right for a bit before turning left after an alcove with small waterfalls under it... it's only spawned once out of a dozen tries.

And this is my luck so far...

I've tried exploring, too, but the one I eventually found disappeared while I was fighting it...

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Titan location, anyone?

I keep checking the tree area that people list, but they're never there.

There's also one if you head right immediately from the main entrance, and hug all the way to the right for a bit before turning left after an alcove with small waterfalls under it... it's only spawned once out of a dozen tries.

And this is my luck so far...

I've tried exploring, too, but the one I eventually found disappeared while I was fighting it...

Any particular reason you're farming Titans?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Corium, need 3.

Titans drop them.

Am I doing something stupid?

Not at all. Just wanted to make sure. There should be two quests that you can choose from to prep. One is the Matthias quest from the demo and the other is for the NPC Sentinel. However, if you do both questlines not only does it reduce the cost, but they should both have Titans in the mission quest lines that will drop the Corium you need.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Just wanted to make sure. There should be two quests that you can choose from to prep. One is the Matthias quest from the demo and the other is for the NPC Sentinel. However, if you do both questlines not only does it reduce the cost, but they should both have Titans in the mission quest lines that will drop the Corium you need.
Thanks for further clarification, I thought it would probably guide me via the other missions... but I sometimes get hyper focused on grinding a specific thing.

Glad I can kick back and enjoy it and let it happen.

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
Except D1 and D2 get to the point where the only thing you can do for high end gear is specific content. Otherwise you get worse power level gear. Anthem makes all content still valid for gearing.[/quote]

White, green, and blue materials only craft white, green or blue items. Those materials drop in GM difficulty where white/green/blue items are utterly useless. So no, not "all content" is valid for gearing. You can see it in Datto's video and several other streams. People running GM content only to get materials and loot that is significantly inferior to what they already have.

Anthem has way more content then destiny 1 or 2 at launch.

Now you're just lying. Vanilla Destiny 1 had more strikes than Anthem has Strongholds. There was more to replay and do with bounties, heroic strikes, heroic story missions, and PVP in vanilla Destiny than Anthem offers at launch. Vault of Glass was known to be coming before the game launched and only wasn't there at launch for final polish and to allow people to gear up to get there; The only thing we know about what's coming for Anthem is more Strongholds and the vague Cataclysms. Destiny also launched with more weapons in the overall loot pool, multiple armor types and sets. And Destiny was a cross platform game with cross platform limitations.

If you like Anthem, that's great! But don't resort to making stuff up to try to bamboozle others.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now you're just lying. Vanilla Destiny 1 had more strikes than Anthem has Strongholds. There was more to replay and do with bounties, heroic strikes, heroic story missions, and PVP in vanilla Destiny than Anthem offers at launch. Vault of Glass was known to be coming before the game launched and only wasn't there at launch for final polish and to allow people to gear up to get there; The only thing we know about what's coming for Anthem is more Strongholds and the vague Cataclysms. Destiny also launched with more weapons in the overall loot pool, multiple armor types and sets. And Destiny was a cross platform game with cross platform limitations.

If you like Anthem, that's great! But don't resort to making stuff up to try to bamboozle others.
Having only played 10 hours (that I mostly enjoyed), I'd cautiously agree with you. I say cautiously, because I haven't seen an actual breakdown of how many different missions, strongholds, etc. you can run in Anthem. Is that spelled out anywhere?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017

Vanilla destiny 1, once you got to a specific light level content was barren. Since the only way you could finish getting to the highest light level is the raid and nightfall. So no, I'm just telling the truth that anthem has more relevant content. Maybe I should have used the word relevant.

As far as Destiny having more weapons, sure it did. Anthem has gear slots for everything though, so it make sense there are less weapons in Anthem then Destiny.

Thanks for just saying i'm lying though. Even though I played all these games at launch...

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla destiny 1, once you got to a specific light level content was barren. Since the only way you could finish getting to the highest light level is the raid and nightfall. So no, I'm just telling the truth that anthem has more relevant content. Maybe I should have used the word relevant.

As far as Destiny having more weapons, sure it did. Anthem has gear slots for everything though, so it make sense there are less weapons in Anthem then Destiny.

Thanks for just saying i'm lying though. Even though I played all these games at launch...

Content is content. That said, you are right in suggesting that D1 had a harsher endgame that relied too much on RNG. Hence the loot cave. D1 did however have PvP.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on the 10 hour trial and have 5 hours left... Once the Day 1 patch releases I won't have access to the game anymore right since it will be released?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

You think running old content through various difficulty levels is more "relevant" than a raid and a nightfall? Really?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Content is content. That said, you are right in suggesting that D1 had a harsher endgame that relied too much on RNG. Hence the loot cave. D1 did however have PvP.

Content is not content in MMOs like this. The extra strike doesn't matter if you have no reason to run that strike past a certain point. It just splits the player base in a bad way. Then whenever the DLC/expansion comes out, it invalidates the previous high end content. The way Anthem is structuring the progression, any piece of content in the game could give you an upgrade. Unlike it vanilla destiny where this wasn't true.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
You think running old content through various difficulty levels is more "relevant" than a raid and a nightfall? Really?

Nightfall is exactly old content at a higher difficulty.

Also, I think his point was that you could only run those once per week. So after you complete both, that character was SoL until reset in terms of growth

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think I read people disputing the idea that the flaws with Anthem are EA's fault, that it was all on BioWare. is that the case? Are there any articles that show word from BioWare to back that up?

I don't want to have to hunt through the thread, if anyone has an ifnroemd opinion on this please share!

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017

You would rather just be able to get relevant pieces of gear from one raid past a certain point and there is no reason to do any other content? I'd much rather have content stay relevant so I don't feel bored then wait till reset to run the same raid/nightfall again...

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I think I read people disputing the idea that the flaws with Anthem are EA's fault, that it was all on BioWare. is that the case? Are there any articles that show word from BioWare to back that up?

I don't want to have to hunt through the thread, if anyone has an ifnroemd opinion on this please share!

it boils down to if EA forced Frostbite on Bioware

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that scathing, really. good video. Doesn't seem to be aware that GM difficulties are set at the wrong values though - not even sure where the official word of this came from, but seen it mentioned in here several times (i.e. that GM1 is currently close to what GM3 difficulty should be).

In addition to that, their masterwork properties change the way you use them drastically (On top of that, you can add triple gun sigils to increase the damage by 90%)

For example, the blastback heavy pistol does triple damage when hovering. If you combine that with different javelins:

• The Storm can boost its weakpoint damage while hovering with the gunslinger's mark component, and is the king of hovering
  • The Ranger can boost its hovertime significanlty with 2 components, and has abilities boost its gun damage by 210% easily (Venom Darts + Muster Point + epic component)
  • The interceptor can use both target beacon and a class specific component to boost its damage by 210% as well (acid bomb + target beacon + epic component)
Another example is the elemental rage, that boost elemental damage on hits to elites: Imagine a Ice Storm / Burning Orb Storm, or a Lightning Coil / Flamethrower colossus with that gun in their hands

Or we can even take the beloved devastator sniper rifle: Again, the ranger and interceptor can double their gun damage easily, but on top of that the ranger has components that boost blast damage by 50% (and bast damage boost comes on inscriptions as well).

I agree that the guns aren't the focus on the gameplay, but each javelin definitely has ways were they get ridiculously powerful when you interweave gun damage with abilities. All the example I gave above were with epic components, save for the gunslinger storm, so that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks, this is all really helpful.

I remember when loadouts/builds finally really clicked for me in Warframe. Understanding how to use mods, building loadouts for specific enemies, meticulously planning the best build for certain situations. It seems like Anthem has the building blocks in place for a system as equally interesting and deep.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
So it seems reviews are dropping in, it is sitting at 64 Opencritic with 11 reviews:

https://opencritic.com/game/7084/anthem

47096372432_48a1006e2d_o_d.png

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
After all of these impressions, I've decided to cancel my pre-order and wait for Bioware to fix and expand the game. As paying consumers, it's not our job to test and improve a half-baked product. It's a shame given that the moment-to-moment game play is actually really good when the game works. We'll see how Anthem is in 6 months. Now, my attention turns to The Division 2 for my loot shooter fix.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
You would rather just be able to get relevant pieces of gear from one raid past a certain point and there is no reason to do any other content? I'd much rather have content stay relevant so I don't feel bored then wait till reset to run the same raid/nightfall again...

How does content stay relevant if you're just repeating the same stuff on different difficulties? Nightfalls have modifiers and Raids have mechanics and gameplay design well outside of the "same old content" found in Destiny.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I just realized that Sevs dialogue about the Stronghold changes if you checked in with him about it. If not he kind of tears into you for skipping the briefing, if you do he mentions some near lore about Corvus methods

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any idea why freesync on the Xbox One X is actually making screen tearing worse on this game? I cant understand it because I've been using it for a while now and on all other games with a target of 30fps, such as Sea Of Thieves, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc when they dip below 30 and start tearing as long as freesync is enabled the screen tearing is completely eradicated. You can see it working by displaying the source and it shows the freesync range going up and down. However on Anthem The only time freesync seems to be working at all is at the start screen and the loading screens. Once into the game, the freesync range stays at 59hz even when the frame rate it dipping suggesting that freesync isnt being engaged. Or when the fps does dip its dipping below the lower freesync limit which on my TV would be the equivalent of the in game frame rate going below 24 fps. The only problem with that is when I am out in the open world and getting screen tearing with freesync enabled the in game fps doesn't look any where near 24 but i suppose its possible.

Thanks for posting this. I have a Samsung TV that has Freesync and noticed this as well. When I played the game in the living room on our Sony I did not see the tearing. I decided to go through my receiver on the Samsung bypassing the ability to use Freesync and most if not all the tearing was gone.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but the other reviews aren't exactly glowing either
True, but many of them aren't doom laden. Quite a few state "keep an eye on this", which doesnt' really reflect in a traditional review "one and done" score of 6/10 which is "don't bother" for many people.

If they were all scored, right now, the game would still be sitting below 70 most likely.