• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if a melee focused Ranger with 2 detonator abilities is viable for Grand Master? I've been having a ton of fun using the Ranger's melee to AOE prime mobs and toss a Frag Grenade or shoot a Blast Missile to set off combos, and this happens so frequently too.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
So Legendaries and Masterwork can drop at any time and at any level and/or difficulty? Because I only see purples.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Huh, so I knew that the Masterwork weapons were mostly just upgraded versions of base guns (so basically a skin + bonuses)
but the Legendary weapons are the same too? I put up a twitter filter to see some of the loot people are getting and have been kinda surprised
at how many are just upgraded versions even at Legendary.....

Are there just not many unique weapons in the end game? Wonder if they plan another 'unique' rarity later down the line?

The game is really lacking in visual variety for me....

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I just meant in terms of disparity between critic reaction and player numbers

I don't believe players enjoy Anthem any more than the critics do, just read this thread.
The people who praise the game either logged very little time in it (under 10 hours, when the novelty is still fresh and the problems don't grate so much), or are outliers for which the flying somehow outweighs every other aspect of the game.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so I knew that the Masterwork weapons were mostly just upgraded versions of base guns (so basically a skin + bonuses)
but the Legendary weapons are the same too? I put up a twitter filter to see some of the loot people are getting and have been kinda surprised
at how many are just upgraded versions even at Legendary.....

Are there just not many unique weapons in the end game? Wonder if they plan another 'unique' rarity later down the line?

The game is really lacking in visual variety for me....

you are correct

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
my favorite is when im lining up a shot on my storm and a dipshit colossus decides to walk in front of me and block my fireball. fuck you you useless piece of shit.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Have you finished all of Brins side quests?
I dont know who brin is, but ill have a look tomorrow. i know i picked up some end game quest that looks like the objectives are a bunch of busy shit like "complete 100 events" and stuff like that. also, is there a work around for the sound glitch? where sound just completely cuts out?

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Neither is 'A way out' (and probably many others)?
Wasn't it said that BW preferred and wanted to use frostbite?
Take it with a big grain of salt, i seem to recall reading it in this thread, without any sources.

EDIT:
Nvm, others mentioned it

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
but Apex isn't Frostbite
The rumor is that Apex started as a Source game that was going to be Titanfall 3, exactly as Titanfall 1 and 2, but when they saw that Source was limiting them graphically on what they could do, they reworked that into Apex, and moved what they had to Frostbite for the Star Wars game and whatever Titanfall 3/new IP will be.

Also, Respawn was not a EA studio at that point in time.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
GM1 feels massively overturned. I'm sitting at 410 now and still get one shot by everything.
And sometimes you have no idea what the fuck just happened and what killed you. There is no "oh man I fucked up, I need to be more careful of XYZ"... no it's just "PLONG PLONG dead, what the fuck was that?!"

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
BioWare said they chose Frostbite themselves and could've gone with any other engine if they wanted to.
I'm going to link this article, where is more than implied that Bioware had problems with Frostbite: https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/02/amy-hennig-talks-more-about-struggling-with-eas-frostbite-engine/
In case anyone is still arguing that bioware didn't do enough work with frostbite engine or that frostbite (and EA) are not to blame for the issues with Anthem...

For Bioware, Frostbite should just be the rendering engine. Separate to that should be the "Bioware game library" which has all the features that RPGs will ever need (advanced UIs, quest language, character properties, AI, server synchronization, modding tools etc).

So the problem isn't that Frostbite "lacks a feature", but that the "Bioware game library" seems to be AWOL.

More generally, I suspect EA developers have a very poor balance between the size/capability of their technical and artistic teams.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Did the underground cave contract for Matthias. Finally level 12.. I'm gonna try to make a good build with Interceptor but I want to try the bigboy first.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the day one patch fixes the crashes I've been having since the VIP demo. I've updated my drivers and tried running it on the lowest settings and nothing works.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Realised I haven't even tried the other javelins yet... I've just played Storm the entire time and I'm level 20.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the day one patch fixes the crashes I've been having since the VIP demo. I've updated my drivers and tried running it on the lowest settings and nothing works.
I did not have a single crash on PC in more than 25 hours, with sessions going up to 5 hours without leaving the game and even Alt-Tabbing.
The demo was a bit less stable at first but it was lacking some assets they patched-in.

If you use overlay tools like RTSS, try disabling it, injecting stuff into the executable can make them less stable.
I disabled RTSS a few months ago and now my games are much more stable.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe players enjoy Anthem any more than the critics do, just read this thread.
The people who praise the game either logged very little time in it (under 10 hours, when the novelty is still fresh and the problems don't grate so much), or are outliers for which the flying somehow outweighs every other aspect of the game.
Maybe we're busy playing the game. It's nice that you assume no one could like the game truly if they've played the game more than a trivial amount.

If you don't like the game why continue posting about it in this thread? The reviews thread is rife with the hate train, so why not go there and ride that train?

I personally enjoy the game. Yes it has issues, some being fixed by the initial patch, others that I hope they fix sooner rather than later. For me the foundation is good and I enjoy playing it. No qualifications needed, it is enjoyable and fun for me. I liked the story and the other world building trappings in the game as well.

Though I guess my voice doesn't matter because how could anyone enjoy this game?

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
This also happens to me every now and then. But I don't think it's related to weak CPU as my i5 7600 is not that old.

I had this happen to me constantly when I played through the earlier parts, I got it to stop happening when I switched the game to my SSD.

Also.. This aged metal, I dunno, I might have to keep this look..

P0SCSIu.jpg

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not sure if this is known yet, but might as well ask:

If I played the Origin Access VIP Demo, through an PC Origin account, on PS4 (b/c it gave out PS4 keys as well, it never ran on my PC), will I still get the VIP vinyls when I bought it on PS4? Or would those be for the PC version only?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I feel like some contracts are harder than others. Like, in one contract, there's barely any legendary enemies. But in some others, most enemies are elite and legendary are everywhere.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Maybe we're busy playing the game. It's nice that you assume no one could like the game truly if they've played the game more than a trivial amount.

If you don't like the game why continue posting about it in this thread? The reviews thread is rife with the hate train, so why not go there and ride that train?

I personally enjoy the game. Yes it has issues, some being fixed by the initial patch, others that I hope they fix sooner rather than later. For me the foundation is good and I enjoy playing it. No qualifications needed, it is enjoyable and fun for me. I liked the story and the other world building trappings in the game as well.

Though I guess my voice doesn't matter because how could anyone enjoy this game?

Ah yes, the old "if you're not going to praise the game, how dare you talk about it?" You got me.
That you would label a discussion of the game's many objective flaws a hate train is also pretty telling.

Calm down, bud. You're free to enjoy whatever you want. You don't need my or anyone else's approval.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Ah yes, the old "if you're not going to praise the game, how dare you talk about it?" You got me.
That you would label a discussion of the game's many objective flaws a hate train is also pretty telling.

Calm down, bud. You're free to enjoy whatever you want. You don't need my or anyone else's approval.
But you assumed that it won't be possible for people to enjoy this game more than the reviewers. They simply stated that it isn't true.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017

You're right that I could have mischaracterized your criticisms, I haven't been following your posts specifically. I made the statement too focused and should have made it more generalized as I was trying to talk to anyone continuing to be overly negative and not add anything to the discussion.

Ultimately as someone that wants to talk about playing the game, the OT is the right place for that. Having to swim through various negative posts that add nothing to the discussion makes me and I'm sure many others not want to post or even read the thread.

I have mainly stuck to the Discord for that reason, not because there are no criticisms there, but because drive by hate posts are rarely there and called out for what they are. Criticisms are discussed and understood instead of shooting down anyone's POV, or at least there are more opportunities to do so without such absolute terms.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Game can be fun but the huge Problem is there is simply nothing to do in its current state if you want to play a lot.

What was available didn't even hold full 3 days until you've done everything and are grinding for the couple % Gear upgrades.
By Sunday Evening after a few Chest Runs we were Itemlevel 440+

The Quests were boring and so was the whole Story in the first 5 hours before i started spamming Escape to skip the nonsense the NPCs had to say in the "City".
"Thanks" to the Audio Bug i mostly didn't even get the Story they try to tell you in the Missions itself because i don't want to read subtitles while flying around.
I started to listen to Internet Radio or Twitch Streams on the side because i didn't want to restart the game every 20 minutes anymore.

Gameplay is incredible fun though and i can see Raids being something special if they have some creativity with the Encounter Design.
But thats the future and the now is spread really thin.

Hope until my Origin Premiere Sub runs out they release some nice stuff otherwise i will look into it again in the Summer Months.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
It's kind of a shitjob to come to OT to talk about *the game* and have 146 pages with negative answers (not even constructive criticism).

The Game can be fun but the huge Problem is there is simply nothing to do in its current state if you want to play a lot.

What was available didn't even hold full 3 days until you've done everything and are grinding for the couple % Gear upgrades.
By Sunday Evening after a few Chest Runs we were Itemlevel 440+

The Quests were boring and so was the whole Story in the first 5 hours before i started spamming Escape to skip the nonsense the NPCs had to say in the "City".
"Thanks" to the Audio Bug i mostly didn't even get the Story they try to tell you in the Missions itself because i don't want to read subtitles while flying around.
I started to listen to Internet Radio or Twitch Streams on the side because i didn't want to restart the game every 20 minutes anymore.

Gameplay is incredible fun though and i can see Raids being something special if they have some creativity with the Encounter Design.
But thats the future and the now is spread really thin.

Hope until my Origin Premiere Sub runs out they release some nice stuff otherwise i will look into it again in the Summer Months.

I mean, I'm sorry to say it, but if you've completed *every* activity a looter shooter has in what? Just 5 days.. I don't know what to tell you. If you burn through the content, you are going to burn through the content.

Anyone recommending colors or material combinations that look good? Trying to get my ranger to look a bit more fashionista.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You're right that I could have mischaracterized your criticisms, I haven't been following your posts specifically. I made the statement too focused and should have made it more generalized as I was trying to talk to anyone continuing to be overly negative and not add anything to the discussion.

Ultimately as someone that wants to talk about playing the game, the OT is the right place for that. Having to swim through various negative posts that add nothing to the discussion makes me and I'm sure many others not want to post or even read the thread.

I have mainly stuck to the Discord for that reason, not because there are no criticisms there, but because drive by hate posts are rarely there and called out for what they are. Criticisms are discussed and understood instead of shooting down anyone's POV, or at least there are more opportunities to do so without such absolute terms.

Look, I want the game to be good. I stuck with Division through the time when it was broken and the end game was nonexistent, and I ended up loving it and sinking 500 very enjoyable hours into it.
If they manage to turn Anthem around, I'll be very glad. But at the moment, it's important to point out its flaws and not pat ourselves on the back, because saying "no it's fine" historically doesn't lead to improvements.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Realised I haven't even tried the other javelins yet... I've just played Storm the entire time and I'm level 20.
Same here, lol (except I played Ranger the whole time). Now, after ~30 hours of playtime, I might try out another Javeline.

Last edited: