• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I got to the tombs last night and yikes is all I can say. What were they thinking?
So I've done the tombs on PC and Xbox now. On PC it took me around an hour to play the three missions one of them requires and that got me everything else I needed. On Xbox it took me 20 minutes since I already had the missions unlocked and only had like two other objectives left.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
But maybe I am ok with that because I didn't pay 60 bucks for the game, I have Origin Premier.

Yeah, I don't really understand that criticism of all criticisms. It's like he missed the memo that you don't actually have to own Anthem to play it on the 15th. While I get that many actually purchased the game on PC and in addition paid another $15 on top of that just to play it a week early, those seem like outliers. He's not wrong about the "day one patch" that Bioware keeps mentioning not being released on the 15th was pretty shitty, but he's wrong about the actual cost to play it.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why he is acting surprised by any of this anyway. The first week players are still beta testers and the main launch wasn't officially until the 22nd.

Holy shit, I need it lol.

I feel a slight urge of switching to maining Ranger over Colossus...

I ended up with one of those, but haven't been using it yet. Was going to likely keep it on my Ranger as a secondary weapon with his primary being the shotgun that increases damage by 150% for 5s on a reload.

Last edited:

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
As a premier access guy, I'd rather just wait until Friday when the "loot while downed" is fixed.

Especially in GM1, you're downed a lot.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems they nerfed the hell out of the Strongholds chests. THey are dropping (4 times now) whites, blues and greens.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Seems they nerfed the hell out of the Strongholds chests. THey are dropping (4 times now) whites, blues and greens.
I have a feeling whatever value they changed on the open world chests applied to all chests...

I wouldn't go so far as to make that assumption. If every activity uses the same loot table and the drops are true RNG (with the only mitigating factors being GM levels and Luck inscriptions) it's entirely possible to get long strings of "bad luck" where nothing of value drops.

Flip a quarter 20 times and it lands on heads 19. There's nothing wrong with the quarter and the probability is still 50/50.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am the only one who press quickly the escape key to skip all the stupid conversations?

Last edited:

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go so far as to make that assumption. If every activity uses the same loot table and the drops are true RNG (with the only mitigating factors being GM levels and Luck inscriptions) it's entirely possible to get long strings of "bad luck" where nothing of value drops.

Flip a quarter 20 times and it lands on heads 19. There's nothing wrong with the quarter and the probability is still 50/50.

Nah.

For 3 days the loot from GM1 chests was consistently epic gear with some really rare blue one, and masterworks every 2 or three. They are dropping WHITE gear now, and by the 2 to 3 each chest. They nerfed the chests server side.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much everyone at my company with a gaming pc able to run in anthem is loving the game. It's kind of crazy how people have just been dragged in this week, one after another.

For 3 days the loot from GM1 chests was consistently epic gear with some really rare blue one, and masterworks every 2 or three. They are dropping WHITE gear now, and by the 2 to 3 each chest. They nerfed the chests server side.

Statistics are crazy huh? I got 3 masterworks in a row from worldquests last night..

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Nah.

The day before they nerfed the chest I ran Strongholds on GM1 and didn't get a single MW. Last night I got 2 MW in two runs.

Earlier in this thread there was a poster stating that even after the nerf, they were still getting 1-2 MW per hour on average running chest farm in Free Roam.

Chance does not guarantee an even distribution of results.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone at my company with a gaming pc able to run in anthem is loving the game. It's kind of crazy how people have just been dragged in this week, one after another.

Statistics are crazy huh? I got 3 masterworks in a row from worldquests last night..

Arent they? I also got 3 MW last night, and 2 epics and 6 whites, and 3 blues and 3 greens today after 5 chests.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
On the topic of MW, Goth have been saying that you're getting them too fast (even without the chest farm), the group he plays with are all over 400 power.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
On the topic of MW, Goth have been saying that you're getting them too fast (even without the chest farm), the group he plays with are all over 400 power.

Grain of salt. No matter what the game is, Goth always leans towards the lengthiest grinds possible. Whether it's because he genuinely loves to grind for 8-10 hours per day or if it's a boon to his business for games to have long grinds, the end result is the same. He's always going to want more grind than less. Always.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
The enemies that have a shield and when you shoot them and get the shield down they regain back their full shield in an instant even though you are still doing damage to them is so stupid.

Oct 30, 2017
United States
But to get that, you have to farm GM1. More specifics in that regard below.

You're absolutely correct in that there are components that are geared towards hovering as a Ranger. The context, though, is how useful a Ranger's hovering Avenging Herald build will be once a player hits 30. This is why I mentioned the DPS output and survivability specifically in the context of freshly farming GM1. Because in order for the Hovering Ranger build to truly come online, one needs several Masterwork components. Far more important at that stage is the ability to survive an unexpected 1 shot burst as getting downed represents a far higher loss of DPS than making it to cover and waiting for shields to regen. And getting 1k in health or shields in one universal component is a bit more likely than getting the two piece ranger specific combo of Thermal and Vented Thrusters.

Muster is.. situational. In a full damage build it will likely be quite effective but Anthem absolutely has aggro mechanics and bursting will 100% draw aggro from everything around your target. So popping Muster while in Hover without a Colossus ready to immediately taunt before you're in a majority of MW gear is going to lead to a bad time quite quickly. Non-MW Bulwark isn't tanky but it does come in handy for res. I don't have a 36 Bulwark at the moment (only 33) but even that gives a 2.7k health buffer to get an ally up if necessary. And while farming GM1, you're likely going to be ressing and being ressed far more than at previous points in the game.

Thank you for the clarification Jest! I haven't had a chance to play an endgame ranger build yet so the context you provided is definitely helpful. I was overlooking the aggro mechanics work because from my experience, using the taunt on the colossus lead to my death so I was much more in favor of using shield pulse on that guy. Same with bulwark point vs musterpoint, you make a very good argument for its practical uses!

I guess I was thinking that you wouldn't loose much from not using universal armor and shield components on the ranger because combined they give 1K armor + 1K shield total. On the other hand, each ranger component give you 500 armor and 500 shields so combining 2 ranger components would also give you 1K armor and 1K shields

However like you pointed out, this is more about the viability of the hover playstyle on a ranger at the GM level, and that is something I should definitely take into account if it is entirely reliant on masterwork component. My goal is to first make base builds that do not rely on masterwork (kinda like the no legendary builds in Diablo 3) since those give you a good understanding of how the characters work before you get to add masterwork synergies as another layer of complexity!

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The GM difficulties as a whole just seem no-lube fucked right now. Half the masterworks don't put out enough damage or are too situational to be useful.

I gotta wonder how extensive Bioware's playtests were...

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
And that right there is the clearest example of how GM is nonsensical currently. Dude is putting out maybe 10k per second and that shit still takes forever to go down.
Looked pretty amazing to me. He wasn't comboing off anything which is what the GM levels are all about, but he was still absolutely melting.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
The GM difficulties as a whole just seem no-lube fucked right now. Half the masterworks don't put out enough damage or are too situational to be useful.

I gotta wonder how extensive Bioware's playtests were...

someone posted here that the developers were long time players of Destiny and Division

i lol'd

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Looked pretty amazing to me. He wasn't comboing off anything which is what the GM levels are all about, but he was still absolutely melting.
Most of the guns aren't putting out anywhere near that DPS. Apparently the two highest DPS guns in the game might be Endless Siege and Herald (I have the Herald and I don't think the total DPS is comparable to that) and it still took almost a solid minute of him hitting the crit points. Most of the guns, even MW, are useless in comparison.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for the clarification Jest! I haven't had a chance to play an endgame ranger build yet so the context you provided is definitely helpful. I was overlooking the aggro mechanics work because from my experience, using the taunt on the colossus lead to my death so I was much more in favor of using shield pulse on that guy. Same with bulwark point vs musterpoint, you make a very good argument for its practical uses!

I guess I was thinking that you wouldn't loose much from not using universal armor and shield components on the ranger because combined they give 1K armor + 1K shield total. On the other hand, each ranger component give you 500 armor and 500 shields so combining 2 ranger components would also give you 1K armor and 1K shields

However like you pointed out, this is more about the viability of the hover playstyle on a ranger at the GM level, and that is something I should definitely take into account if it is entirely reliant on masterwork component. My goal is to first make base builds that do not rely on masterwork (kinda like the no legendary builds in Diablo 3) since those give you a good understanding of how the characters work before you get to add masterwork synergies as another layer of complexity!

To further clarify... when I talk about the survivability of Epic vs MW, I'm not talking about the MW synergies or even the extra inscriptions. I'm talking about the pure stat difference afforded by the difference in the quality and level of the gear.

For example... an Epic 33 Ranger component offers somewhere in the neighborhood of 239 Armor and Shield. Epic 36 Ranger components about 509. I don't have a Ranger MW component yet but just look at the difference in the numbers between 33 and 36 within the same Epic quality. Now consider that 36 is the cap for Epic and MW starts at 45. It may or may not be capped there (too soon for me to tell) but regardless that's going to be a massive survivability difference purely due to raw stats.

So MW is going to not only afford different playstyles due to the unique qualities associated with the pieces but also just in the raw capabilities afforded from the stats.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Patch notes: https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/anthem-day-one-patch-notes

Here, for whoever can't access the link:
For those of you who have been playing the Early Access version of the game, we wanted to let you know that a Day 1 Patch is on its way. The patch will deployed before worldwide launch. On February 22, 2019, the game will include the following updates and our Live Service officially begins.

High level fixes

• Decreased loading times for older disk drives
  • Fixed many infinite loading screens
  • Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
  • A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
  • Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers
General Fixes and Improvements

• Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
  • The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
  • At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on "Recording Victories" or "Skipping All".
  • Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
  • During the mission "What Freelancers Do" dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
  • Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
  • Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
  • Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
  • Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
  • Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
  • The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
  • Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
  • Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
  • Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
  • Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
  • After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
  • Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
  • Corrected an issue during the Mission "Bad Deal" where outlaws won't spawn, blocking progress
  • The start of expedition screen has been improved
  • Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
  • Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
  • Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
  • Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
  • Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the "Finding Old Friends" mission while the cinematic is playing
  • Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
  • Increased the damage of the electric status effect
  • Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
  • The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
  • Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans
  • Fixed loading animations on Marksmen Rifles
  • Players can now access the Vault from the Forge
  • Swimming into jellyfish underwater no longer leaves a visual effect stuck on players.
  • Idle animations will no longer sync up over time in the Launch Bay
  • Haluk is no longer dual-wielding canes in the epilogue scene
  • Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players in the launch bay to have identical emotes and be unable to use them
  • Interceptor melee ability animations will no longer stretch out in certain situations
  • Corrected an issue where the default Ranger appearance doesn't preview in the forge in some situations
  • All animations now play as intended in the Forge
  • Players can now enter the Tomb of Gwanes while in a party
  • The default Javelin wear state has been changed from "Dirty" to "Old"
  • Sentinel Loyalty 2 text no longer incorrectly states that it will lead to a larger vault
  • Picking up ammo from the ground now properly gives you 30% of that ammo back into both the current magazine and the maximum spare ammo
  • Fixed a bug where some global (Javelin Icon) inscription bonuses were not being properly applied to the Javelin and other gear/weapons.
  • Fixed some issues that could cause the Armor Pip count on the UI to break and not display properly
Strongholds

• Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
  • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
  • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
  • Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
  • Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
  • The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
  • Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations
  • Implemented more safeguards to stop players from going AFK in Strongholds
Challenges

• Only Masterwork items can now be used to progress Masterwork challenges as intended
  • Corrected an issue where some Challenges track progress simultaneously instead of incrementally, as intended. (ex: Blast Missile I and then Blast Missile II instead of both incrementing at the same time
Gear and Weapons

• After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
  • Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
  • Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
  • Players can no longer salvage equipped items
  • Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they aren't intended for
  • Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
  • The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip
  • Suit-wide specific weapon ammo bonuses coming from infusions are now correctly applied
  • A Network Error Message no longer appears when opening an item chest in the second tutorial
  • Colossus shoulder gear will now share the appearance of the rest of the javelin as intended
  • Deadeye has increased spare ammo 10 -> 20
  • Cloudburst has had increased damage 16.3 -> 21
  • Torrent has had increased damage 22.2 -> 28.6
  • Lightning Strike's pre-visualization will now accurately depict that the explosion snaps to the ground.
  • (Ranger) Inferno Grenade base damage 130 -> 175
  • (Interceptor) Cryo Glaive base damage 20 -> 50
  • (Storm) Living Flame base damage 50 -> 60
  • (Storm) Glacial Beam base damage 150 -> 120
  • (Storm) Arc Burst secondary damage 100 -> 150
  • (Ranger) Pulse Blast base damage 225 -> 300, and now deals extra damage to Shields (previously did extra damage to Armored).
  • (Ranger) Blast Missile now properly scales up in damage as the item level increases
  • (Interceptor) Melee attacks now have some minor resistance penetration
  • Large Area of Effect abilities will better register multi-kill activities for challenges and medals
  • Spark Dash functionality has been significantly improved when the target enemy is at a different height (above/below) the Interceptor.
  • Several gear pieces that had missing primer or detonator icons have been fixed.
    • Interceptor
      • Tempest Strike - Detonator Icon
      • Spark Dash - Detonator Icon
      • Venom Spray - Primer Icon
      • Detonating Strike - Primer Icon
    • Colossus
      • Lightning Coil - Detonator Icon
      • Shock Coil - Primer Icon
      • Flamethrower - Primer Icon
  • Several improvements have been made to ensure gear use on PC prioritizes turning the Javelin towards the reticle when used rather than casting in front of the Javelin's current direction.
Javelins

• The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
  • The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed the Storm's ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
  • The Colossus exo can now shield and revive at the same time
  • Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component
  • Ranger melee now has a cooldown when striking in the air
  • The Target Beacon ability now correctly seeks targets
  • Spark Dash and Venom Spray now target based on player cursor instead of character facing. This should also improve the travel path of Spark Dash.
  • The Colossus will no longer be knocked out of the sky in some situations when the attack was blocked by their shield
Combos + Status Effects

• Combo indicator icons above creatures now are correctly removed when detonated.
  • When a Storm detonates an electric status effect the chained electric effect now correctly deals damage.
  • Combo damage now penetrates resistances
Crafting

• Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork
  • A number of javelin components that had different icons for their recipes and the actual items are now the same
  • The Battle Cry gear recipe now has the correct description
  • Fixed Spark Beam gear having the wrong description when being crafted
  • Crafting recipes are now sorted alphabetically
  • The items in the crafting store are now sorted by type to be clearer
Controls

• Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made
UI

• Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
  • The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
  • Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
  • Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
  • Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
  • The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
  • An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
  • The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
  • A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a player's vault is at the cap of 250 items
  • On the "Repair the Strider" step of "A Cry for Help" the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
  • Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
  • Corrected a user interface issue where a player's ultimate would show as available when it isn't
  • Toggling the HDR option now properly prompts the Apply Changes button
  • Player banners should now display correctly
  • Camera shake slider has been added to settings menu
  • Players may now track 10 challenges instead of 5
  • An option to adjust screen boundaries on consoles has been added
  • Changing a player banner through the banner menu now properly saves the selection
  • Health, cooldowns, and key bindings now light up on supported keyboards
  • Players will now receive more clear messaging when a squad is disbanded or are kicked from a squad
  • Squad leaders will no longer always show as ready
  • The icon for players in a downed state will no longer appear in cutscenes
  • Cypher Annotations will now appear for more than one player if they are looking at it simultaneously
  • Removed mentions of respawning on the player UI when they die in a restricted respawn area
  • The Player Banner now updates immediately when updated from the squad screen
  • Fixed a number of situations where a combo will trigger but no combo floating text appears
  • Pressing esc to pass a notification screen no longer opens up the in-game menu
  • Quick chat messages will no longer appear from an ignored player
  • Removed a message from the mailbox which incorrectly stated that messages will be removed after 3 days
  • A number of inscription icons have been updated to properly reflect whether they are Javelin specific or not
  • Corrected an issue where players could not change loadout names on PC
  • Players no longer need to exit and re-enter the forge for loadout names to update
  • The on-screen VOIP indicator which shows a player speaking will no longer be active if that player is muted

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Most of the guns aren't putting out anywhere near that DPS. Apparently the two highest DPS guns in the game might be Endless Siege and Herald (I have the Herald and I don't think the total DPS is comparable to that) and it still took almost a solid minute of him hitting the crit points. Most of the guns, even MW, are useless in comparison.
Guns are basic attacks. Not sure what you're expecting here. The video I posted shows an awesome weapon, but they guy is still just sitting there doing basic attacks instead of using his powers.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Some of those fixes I saw incorporated 6 weeks ago from EA game changers footage. Its crazy that they were holding onto some of them for so long. I guess they wanted to have one comprehensive drop. Should have never had an early access launch.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Combos do a burst of damage except stuff like the Ranger laser that is continuous. It's the same as Diablo and every other ARPG.
The burst damage isn't remotely high enough compared to something like that. I think I'm doing maybe 5-8k with a charged up fireball and by the time I could charge up said fireball, that machinegun would have done at minimum 10k of damage.
Combos result in far higher burst DPS, generally. So that Autocannon would be about sustained dps between bursts.
Exactly. Look at how much downtime that autocannon had.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The burst damage isn't remotely high enough compared to something like that. I think I'm doing maybe 5-8k with a charged up fireball and by the time I could charge up said fireball, that machinegun would have done at minimum 10k of damage.

You have MW gear slotted for your combos?