Anthem |OT| GaaS Effect

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Reddit is like that because they straight up abandoned communication. You can argue a lot of what started first, but since the loot fiasco Bioware stopped responding (Worse, they said that they want to implement tweeks in the incoming MONTHS for the loot situation) and then the Reddit became really negative. I dont think they even responded to the component bug yet.
Bollocks. They said they weren't happy with loot and anyone expecting them to be able to come up with a plan of any worth within a week or so is an idiot. They don't reply for a few days, including a weekend, and it's the end of the world and justifies the meltdowns there? Hardly.

They'll respond when they have something to say. It's really naive to expect them to be able to do loot 2.0 at the drop of a hat. They said it'll take time.

Only time will tell, but I believe this game will have its plug pulled in six months, with only a skeleton crew assigned to fixes.
lol, you wish. TD2 servers must be down or something if you're that stuck for something to do you feel the need to drop back here and tell us how shit you still think a game you don't even play is and how you really think BioWare went about making it and once again how you believe EA are going to bin it in 6 months. If that were remotely even on the cards they wouldn't have been recording new dialogue with the VAs last week - that's for content far down the line.

The biggest problem with the game right now is there should be real progression in loot from GM1 to GM2 and then GM3, but there is not. Its the same loot, just maybe with higher percentage percentages for MW and legendaries from kills.

But each of these levels should have been treated just like you were when transitioning from hard to GM1- Where you might get some rare MW weapons from hard, and then you start wading into GM1 which was hard as nails, until you started getting the MW components which drop more frequently there. You should be playing this until you get at least a full MW loadout with some decent inscriptions, and then you move into GM2 where you will be weak until you started getting some higher power level items that only start dropping with any frequency there. Then repeat the same for MW3.

Plus, they need to completely redefine the whole normal to uncommon, rare, Epic, Masterwork, Legendary progression too for all items. It sucks when you play now and get these purple items in GM1 and automatically know they are pretty much trash and don't even want to grab thembecause they aren't masterworks or legendaries, and won't do anything useful for your build since only the masterworks boost your health to a survivable level for the difficulty.

It should be that even white and green drops in GM2 give armor/shield boosts/base damage increase, that would potentially rival the Epic or masterwork items earned in GM1. (they would just have less inscriptions, due to their lower normal/common status, but still could be worthwhile initially as they would allow you to actually survive with their basic armor/shield/damage stats).

I mean this is how things work in Diablo 3- the legendary weapon you might have luckily gotten in level 10 would be a useless peashooter next to a normal level 30 weapon. It just makes basic sense when dealing with loot progression in these games.
It's been a while since I played Diablo 3 so I'd have to refresh my memory on how that worked, but I'd much rather see something where items all drop around the same level and have the rarities give extra buffs and perks like Borderlands did. Then everything drops at a level you're currently at, and everything is viable and potentially useful no matter what colour it is, and you keep grinding away to get your level up until a cap, then you go into certain activities that have a good boost to loot quality and drop at the currently max level for everything. Right now, pretty much everything that drops for me is shit and useless, I was just collecting legendaries for the sake of it, something to do and raise a little number a tiny bit higher, rather than get stuff that makes me better and able to do more stuff effectively.

It's like there's 2 loot systems fighting each other. One where items are capped at certain levels, and one that has rarities that give extra perks. But they mashed the two together in such a bizarre way that it's all soon pointless and looks really iffy going forwards without a major rethink. It's not a few little tweaks around the edges, the whole setup, and especially within the context of questionable difficulty scaling, is a big jumbled mess.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019

Welcome Freelancers! The world of Anthem is about to open its doors to everyone with the Early Access on Feb 15 (3pm UTC / Feb 14) and the Worldwide Launch on Feb 22. Datajoy was supposed to be making and posting this OT but due to some issues it was passed to me so the OT could be posted 24hrs before the launch of the early access. So I took up the challenge of creating all the graphics and text within a fairly short window of time. Some of you may notice me from the Discussion or Demo thread (with Cornbread78 ), I also created the Ability Damage Chart people may have seen floating around. Big shoutout to Guillaume Onyeaghala for all the feedback on earlier versions of this OT too, helped make it what it is.

I had a blast designing this OT so I hope it is useful and informative to everyone new to the game as well as those already well versed in all things Anthem, I’ll keep it up to date with information that we learn as time goes on.

FreelancERA Discord
For those looking for a link to the FreelancERA Discord, reply to this thread and you should see it below:
[Hidden content]

Story Spoilers
If you want to discuss the story of Anthem in this OT, please use the spoiler tags. Other game mechanics and loot can be shared and discussed openly, but story content should be discussed in spoiler tags.
[SPOILER="Anthem Story Spoiler"]You suit up in Javelin's[/SPOILER]

Which will turn into:
You suit up in Javelins.
OT Title
The title for this OT was chosen by the community via a poll in the pre-launch discussion thread as I felt it was a more fair option than me just picking one. The winning title 'GaaS Effect' was originally posted by panda-zebra - Congrats :)

Updates
I'll try to keep this OT updated if any information in it becomes outdated or if anything needs to be added after the game is updated and we get content drops. We're expecting the first content drop for Anthem in March, which is due to bring a new Stronghold, Rewards, Guilds, Missions and various Quality of Life updates too.

No matter if you're jumping into Anthem during the PC Early Access or 10 hour trial on PC and Xbox, or waiting for the worldwide launch on the 22nd February... I hope to see you all in the world of Anthem and safe flying out there everyone!

Countdown to Worldwide Launch:[/SIZE][/B]
[US]

[UK]

If anyone wants to see some of the more active devs, who answer questions often and such; Lead Producer Ben Irving, Executive Producer Mark Darrah & Lead Producer Mike Gamble. They have been very transparent during the development of Anthem, during its Demo’s and in the run up to launch.

For discord?

Oct 31, 2017
Bollocks. They said they weren't happy with loot and anyone expecting them to be able to come up with a plan of any worth within a week or so is an idiot. They don't reply for a few days, including a weekend, and it's the end of the world and justifies the meltdowns there? Hardly.

They'll respond when they have something to say. It's really naive to expect them to be able to do loot 2.0 at the drop of a hat. They said it'll take time.

lol, you wish. TD2 servers must be down or something if you're that stuck for something to do you feel the need to drop back here and tell us how shit you still think a game you don't even play is and how you really think BioWare went about making it and once again how you believe EA are going to bin it in 6 months. If that were remotely even on the cards they wouldn't have been recording new dialogue with the VAs last week - that's for content far down the line.

It's been a while since I played Diablo 3 so I'd have to refresh my memory on how that worked, but I'd much rather see something where items all drop around the same level and have the rarities give extra buffs and perks like Borderlands did. Then everything drops at a level you're currently at, and everything is viable and potentially useful no matter what colour it is, and you keep grinding away to get your level up until a cap, then you go into certain activities that have a good boost to loot quality and drop at the currently max level for everything. Right now, pretty much everything that drops for me is shit and useless, I was just collecting legendaries for the sake of it, something to do and raise a little number a tiny bit higher, rather than get stuff that makes me better and able to do more stuff effectively.
The higher difficulties were basically increase xp gain, item drop chance and gold drop amount. And enemies had higher damage and hp. They did a few reasons to play higher, just with certain drops only on high settings and also the rift stuff they added basically gave people endless reasons to keep pushing.

Anthem needs rifts.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
i guess the sh*tshow starts at endgame. Because i just hit lvl 28....and im still having a blast with this game
Its gonna be a shame if i hit 30....and start turning sour on this game too. Kinda makes me want to put off hitting 30 as long as possible lol.

Oct 25, 2017
i guess the sh*tshow starts at endgame. Because i just hit lvl 28....and im still having a blast with this game
Its gonna be a shame if i hit 30....and start turning sour on this game too. Kinda makes me want to put off hitting 30 as long as possible lol.
I'm in the same boat at the moment.

That said, from what I've read and seen, I feel like Anthem could benefit from adding a D3 style "blood shard" currency you get from rifts. Something to allow slow and steady progress. Because I think people get mad that they get nothing for their time.

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely liked the game more before I hit 30. There was more mission variety and the loot I was getting was actually an improvement over what I had. Then you finish the game and hit 30, and you repeat the same strongholds and contracts over and over for diminishing returns on loot.

Oct 25, 2017
Whats division got to do with anything regarding Anthem's current state? And also, mind your tone. I am not calling anyone an idiot in this thread or any post, and you shouldnt as well, even "hypotethical" people. And yes, they should have come up with a PLAN for a LIVE GAME in a week or so. This is not a single player game. It should have those things from the start, not hopefully months from now. Loot 2.0 implies there is loot 1.0, which is barely the case in the game.

And also, I played about 50 hours of Anthem. So yeah, I can go in this thread and reply every 2 posts as long as I want to, so stop backseat modding.

Doing a few voice lines so they can remix the same stuff for more 50 contracts is not the same as "content." What will happen with this game is the same as battlefront 2. A skeleton crew just remixing the things that are already in the game for a year or two more before abandoning. Andromeda had the SAME "We will support it with DLC" and it was all canned in four months after the reception. They barely fixed the game until they washed their hands of it. And Andromeda was a far, far better game in critical reception than Anthem currently is.

Jan 2, 2018
Still liking the game but they need to add content. I'm just grinding the same stronghold over and over. And once i a while do freeplay.
but that is not going to keep me playing the game. I love the gameplay and corntole.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played since the weekend, and don't currently feel like going back; not until there's a better chance of getting loot that I don't already have, or loot that has useful stats for me. Or new content.

Oct 26, 2017
Whats division got to do with anything regarding Anthem's current state? And also, mind your tone. I am not calling anyone an idiot in this thread or any post, and you shouldnt as well, even "hypotethical" people. And yes, they should have come up with a PLAN for a LIVE GAME in a week or so. This is not a single player game. It should have those things from the start, not hopefully months from now. Loot 2.0 implies there is loot 1.0, which is barely the case in the game.

And also, I played about 50 hours of Anthem. So yeah, I can go in this thread and reply every 2 posts as long as I want to, so stop backseat modding.

Doing a few voice lines so they can remix the same stuff for more 50 contracts is not the same as "content." What will happen with this game is the same as battlefront 2. A skeleton crew just remixing the things that are already in the game for a year or two more before abandoning. Andromeda had the SAME "We will support it with DLC" and it was all canned in four months after the reception. They barely fixed the game until they washed their hands of it. And Andromeda was a far, far better game in critical reception than Anthem currently is.
Your point about the cutscenes is spot on. Why would they expect people to be excited for more CS of their mediocre half told story. 'content' people will watch once before they have to run what will most likely be 95% similar to something they've done dozens of times. I wonder if they will at least avoid the destiny trap and give you something new to shoot at.

Nov 8, 2017
UK
First couple of hours in GM1 after hitting 30 and decided to do the stronghold..

Couldn't resist poking fun as was so ridiculous after expecting this upped difficulty. On the whole finding it much easier than I was finding hard at 25-28.

Oct 27, 2017
First couple of hours in GM1 after hitting 30 and decided to do the stronghold..

Couldn't resist poking fun as was so ridiculous after expecting this upped difficulty. On the whole finding it easier than I was finding hard at 25-28.
Heeh, that's the "no bug" bug of the Tyrant mine lol. At least when that's happening your teammates may not screw up ah ah ah.

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Heeh, that's the "no bug" bug of the Tyrant mine lol. At least when that's happening your teammates may not screw up ah ah ah.
Ah that's it is it? Certainly explains why it was so quiet lol. Thanks

As a fresh-to-30 Storm with a handful of MW's to my name, any that are worth keeping an eye out for?

Oct 27, 2017
My cycle is:
  1. Go to reddit
  2. See posts about people getting legendaries
  3. Convince myself I, too, can get a legendary
  4. Play for an without getting anything useful
  5. Stop playing

Oct 26, 2017

Couldn't resist poking fun as was so ridiculous after expecting this upped difficulty. On the whole finding it much easier than I was finding hard at 25-28.
GM1 and Hard are barely any different now after the patch.

Nov 16, 2017
Can we just take a moment to laugh about how Reddit now thinks the #1 problem with Anthem is.....the analytics tool.
I think we've ran out of legit things to complain about.
I just ran across a thread where a guy is calling BW misleading because the Legendary ash titans he killed dropped epics, not legendaries.

Oct 28, 2017
My cycle is:
  1. Go to reddit
  2. See posts about people getting legendaries
  3. Convince myself I, too, can get a legendary
  4. Play for an without getting anything useful
  5. Stop playing
haha you know this, they make it seem so simple... set you luck to 0! set your luck to 276! switch javelins every run! never do the same activity twice in a row! RNG messes with people's heads.

And also, mind your tone... so stop backseat modding.
sound on...
chill, baby, chill.

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone can find anything in Anthem that works correctly/as it should/at all, please let us know...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._running_tests_it_seems_that_to_shields_does/

After keeping my armor and shield the same, then testing both those values at different power levels, It seems that your javelins power level is directly proportionate to how much damage your javelin can take. The lower your javelins power level the more hits you can take. So if our armor and shields were to stay the same, we would take more damage as we progress in power. Even though armor does still add a tiny tick for survivability of the shield. This may be linked to how on Storm, the health and shield bars always seem to be the same.

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the new universal masterwork components. Trying to get the masterwork component of the class I'm playing as got even worse...sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
So Heart of Rage is the hardest Stronghold, right? Because those Furies can eat my dick.

E: Just the Furies I guess. The rest seems manageable. But what's with the shitty Monitor loot? And no chest...? What's the incentive to stick around after the Furies?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
So Heart of Rage is the hardest Stronghold, right? Because those Furies can eat my dick.

E: Just the Furies I guess. The rest seems manageable. But what's with the shitty Monitor loot? And no chest...? What's the incentive to stick around after the Furies?
Monitor definitely drops loot. Are you doing the story mission or stronghold version of Heart of Rage?

Oct 28, 2017
Stronghold. Compared to the Titan the Furies, it didn't seem worth the time. It's a slow and gated fight.
The same reasoning applies to the other strongholds too. They could have done so much more to incentivize repeating/finishing dungeons. Like unique armor sets or a couple guaranteed masterwork (although scar armor sets have been datamined).

Oct 25, 2017
The same reasoning applies to the other strongholds too. They could have done so much more to incentivize repeating/finishing dungeons. Like unique armor sets or a couple guaranteed masterwork (although scar armor sets have been datamined).
So it's a known criticism? Maybe they'll fix it. Or introduce a penalty timer for quitting or something.

Oct 27, 2017
None of the javelins have MW support gear yet.
thats....a weird decision. with div2 coming out tonight this game is getting put on the back burner for a while. itll be interesting to see how this game turns out a few months from now. i still think the gameplay loop and combat is second to none, its just the supporting systems need to get ironed out along with more content. will definitely be coming back.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just take a moment to laugh about how Reddit now thinks the #1 problem with Anthem is.....the analytics tool.
that post actually make sense to me though i dont see where reddit says its the number 1 problem with the game. they are all about the loot now.

as a baseball fan, i think analytics have turned the game into this bastardized soulless version of baseball that fails to take into account the feel of the game. it was shocking to see JD Martinez not even make the final three for MVP voting because his WAR was too low. anyone who has seen the redsox play knows how he made everyone around him better and how clutch he was.

you see the same thing with the yankees. their front office and analytics guys basically call the game. their GM was on talking about how teams who hit home runs win the world series after Stanton struck out swinging like a fool. these numbers guys dont take into account the tension, the stress, and skill that goes into sports. they lose the human element.

if this guy is right about the devs looking at numbers to make decisions and as a destiny player, i know how much devs care about pouring over data for MONTHS before they make a minor change, then we need them to stop looking. sometimes just fucking listen to the fanbase and increase the drop rates.

they already have random rolls. just do it. these games are about min/maxing. the loot chase is fun because of the min/maxing. i dont know any destiny players who quit playing when they got the Gjallahorn. they played more because they finally got it after a year of playing. i bet this game was designed by psychologists just like Destiny who have studied addicts and know exactly how to keep people coming back for more. but games are not drugs. and 99% of the people dont play the same game for a 1000 hours every year.

Oct 30, 2017
I've hit the point now where there's become far less incentive to play. I've been addicted to this game all the way through, but now at level 30 and playing GM1 all I get is purple 38's. They're all the same.... I get a few masterwork every time I play but so far it's been machine pistols and heavy pistols with a few components. I use a Ranger with AR and shotgun. The lack of cosmetics makes me not care about altering my javelins and I'm not sure what else I can do to keep it interesting. I'll be keeping the game for sure because I want to see how it unfolds with future content.

I'm not entirely sure how loot should work but it seems so strange. Early loot is so pointless, you pretty much start getting blue and avoid everything else. By the time you get blue unlocks you're already trying to get purple gear. And by the time you get purple unlocks you've moved on to masterwork. I have endless embers for loot I'll never craft because its pointless. For almost the entire game you can ignore half the loot. Hoping they add a way to trade 100 green embers for mastwork embers or something. The whole purpose of this game is to get oranges and yellow loot and then what? Just get better stats? Why even have a purple drop at GM2 or higher? Should just all be all orange and yellow gear, embers and cosmetics at that point.

Oct 30, 2017
If anyone can find anything in Anthem that works correctly/as it should/at all, please let us know...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._running_tests_it_seems_that_to_shields_does/
It's even worse than that: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...rscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

There seems to be even more stupid design decision math going on behind that scenes that makes most loot literally useless. Unbelievable. I think this is worse than the level 1 defender post.

Oct 25, 2017