Anthem |OT| GaaS Effect

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Total voters

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's even worse than that: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/b1bcbx/powerscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

There seems to be even more stupid design decision math going on behind that scenes that makes most loot literally useless. Unbelievable. I think this is worse than the level 1 defender post.

Ok, it's even worse than I thought. In term of game development, it's the generation defining debacle, hands down. Desinstalling this shit.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
It's killed all enthusiasm to play the game. Before I was taking the view, eh, I'm having a bit of fun and at least I can slowly improve my gear while farming coins for the future.

But now I'm just like, what is the point? This game is a long, long time away from being fixed and I have zero belief that now this has come out that the time and resources required will be given to Bioware so that they can do it.
I'm having a blast playing the game. But my enthusiasm is all but dead. There is going to be some patch that fucks EVERYTHING in the future. Ugh.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/anthem/news/update-031519

In the latest server-side update, we’ve made some notable changes to the loot drop rate in specific scenarios, which will take effect immediately in a server-side tuning update (you will not need to download anything.)

These changes include:

Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Titan, Epic Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Acid Ursix and Legendary Luminary Elder.

AegonSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Titan, Epic Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Acid Ursix and Legendary Luminary Elder.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I wonder if this is a desperation move from Bioware after that Reddit post about the scaling. Give people the more loot and reason to play GM2&3 they requested and hope it smooths over the scaling issue.

Spoiler: it won't. Who gives a shit about masterworks now?

Edit: A Bioware community rep responded to the scaling post saying it would be fixed in next patch. No details. Probably means they're just going to count empty slots in the average like I said earlier.

Last edited:

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
In the latest server-side update, we’ve made some notable changes to the loot drop rate in specific scenarios, which will take effect immediately in a server-side tuning update (you will not need to download anything.)

These changes include:

• Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
  • Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Titan, Epic Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Acid Ursix and Legendary Luminary Elder.

Spider-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I sold the game a few days ago and made $20 profit, enjoyed my time with it but the endgame simply doesn't have enough content and the loot is clearly a disaster due to poor drop rates and the fact that scaling is clearly an unmitigated disaster behind the scenes.

The gameplay systems of a Javelin are fantastic, but everything around that is just plain awful and after getting my Storm and Ranger to MW level and pulling teeth through GM2-3 I just didn't care anymore since there was just no rewarding feeling of doing the hardest content.

Not sure if today's patch will change that, but at this point I clearly don't care.

I would love to return once things get better, but for now I got 100+ hours of mostly enjoyment and ended up making money in the end.

Thanks Amazon Canada pre-order price error!

Spider-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome they say it'll be fixed soon, but I'll believe it when I see it.
It seems to me after reading that Reddit post and all the math involved that their behind the scenes scaling/damage/loot/health systems are all fundamentally broken.

I highly doubt we will see it all neatly fixed in one patch when the last patch was supposed to fix the level 1 defender issue and buff a lot of stuff. It seems to have just made things worse.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I sold the game a few days ago and made $20 profit, enjoyed my time with it but the endgame simply doesn't have enough content and the loot is clearly a disaster due to poor drop rates and the fact that scaling is clearly an unmitigated disaster behind the scenes.
Huh, just saw I'd get $30 for it at Best Buy. Hard to pass up considering whenever I return it'll likely be super cheap (and digital).

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I personally still really enjoy the game, although I don't play the game every single day due to work, and other games I might want to play. So personally I think it's really good despite all the silly bugs. I await eagerly for the new content coming for it.

panda-zebra

Oct 28, 2017
At least Heart of Rage SH on GM1 will be less likely to throw you in at the boss now. GM2 & GM3 HoR, with the buff to Titans and Furies, well that's the new endgame for now I'll bet. 2 chests, increased drop quality & 3 enemies that have a better chance of drops.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
This is disingenuous. The game is riddled with both ‘silly’ bugs, quite serious bugs and is fundamentally broken at worst or highly inept at best not to forget the lack of content.
It is fine to enjoy/have enjoyed playing Anthem but to call what is going on as“silly bugs” is giving BioWare a pass that they absolutely do not deserve.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
This is disingenuous. The game is riddled with both ‘silly’ bugs, quite serious bugs and is fundamentally broken at worst or highly inept at best not to forget the lack of content.
It is fine to enjoy/have enjoyed playing Anthem but to call what is going on as“silly bugs” is giving BioWare a pass that they absolutely do not deserve.
I mean...the worst bug was the PS4 shutting down one...everything else to me is silly. They've fixed the PS4 shutting down issue, which admittedly shouldn't of happen in the first place. Everything else is something that might test your patience, but so far it hasn't been that serious to me, but again I don't play every day.

Although when I do have long sessions I have a great time with my squad, I enjoyed the story, and I think the gameplay is extremely fun...so yeah I stand by my statement.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Edit: A Bioware community rep responded to the scaling post saying it would be fixed in next patch. No details. Probably means they're just going to count empty slots in the average like I said earlier.
Yep. A follow up post stated that's all it will do. Divide by the number of unlocked slots including empty ones.

Spoke with the designer on this so I understand how it's being "fixed".

Instead of using how many items you actually have equipped, the calculation will be done by how many slots you have unlocked. This means at level 30, for example, your average power score will be divided by 11 even if you have empty weapon/gear/component slots.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A follow up post stated that's all it will do. Divide by the number of unlocked slots including empty ones.
... This should have been the obvious way to do it from the start. It's like they are having a single programmer come up with solutions and just patching them in without even being looked at once

Craiji

May 26, 2018
The Health bug is so bad, and I am pretty pissed there is no definitive timeline on a fix. I was carrying a friend who just started, and now we are both pretty useless now that he has the bug too. It is not only armor, but shields as well.

Anton Sugar

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wish there was an option to not join a current game. Frustrating to get matchmade into those when you want a full run.

Kalik

Nov 1, 2017
I did a few of those Legendary Contracts solo in Grandmaster 1...crazy difficult...enemies can kill you with 1 or 2 shots...they should give you some bonus or guaranteed Legendary drop for completing them solo

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
what's the health bug?
Sometimes you'll load into a mission and be incredibly fragile, as if you've hardly any shields/armour. Enemies that would normally only do minor damage to your shield are suddenly able to demolish you in a few shots. It was brought up in the last livestream as a UI only bug, but was later clarified via Twitter that it isn't just UI and does effect gameplay. It's not related to the bug that will sometimes show just a few segments of armour and sometimes a billion.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I did a few of those Legendary Contracts solo in Grandmaster 1...crazy difficult...enemies can kill you with 1 or 2 shots...they should give you some bonus or guaranteed Legendary drop for completing them solo
Your initial forays into GM will be rough, but with the components you get from those contracts it’ll become easier.

Kalik

Nov 1, 2017
Sometimes you'll load into a mission and be incredibly fragile, as if you've hardly any shields/armour. Enemies that would normally only do minor damage to your shield are suddenly able to demolish you in a few shots. It was brought up in the last livestream as a UI only bug, but was later clarified via Twitter that it isn't just UI and does effect gameplay. It's not related to the bug that will sometimes show just a few segments of armour and sometimes a billion.
so it only effects certain missions/strongholds?...it's not a universal bug that is in effect all the time?

Your initial forays into GM will be rough, but with the components you get from those contracts it’ll become easier.
yeah that's what I'm hoping...I also think they are meant to be played with a group...I can't imagine Grandmaster 3 will ever be manageable solo no matter how good your gear is...the way enemies track you with weapon fire and surround you can be brutal

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
so it only effects certain missions/strongholds?...it's not a universal bug that is in effect all the time?
I don't know much about the conditions it can appear under, other than sometimes you'll load a mission and have paper for armour, but it won't permanently effect your Javelin and doesn't seem to be tied to particular missions. You just have to cross your fingers every time you load an activity.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
Anyone else getting MW Components for javelins you aren't playing as when doing Legendary Contracts and Strongholds? It wasn't happening, but the last 2 night it's like every other one I do.

Craiji

May 26, 2018
I don't know much about the conditions it can appear under, other than sometimes you'll load a mission and have paper for armour, but it won't permanently effect your Javelin and doesn't seem to be tied to particular missions. You just have to cross your fingers every time you load an activity.
I wish it was that random for me, it has persisted for a couple of days and well over 20 expeditions on my side.

Raide

Oct 31, 2017
I never really noticed that selecting different difficulties makes a different sound for each one haha.

Serial Killa

Mar 9, 2019
I would like to actually be able to play a mission or stronghold or contract. Turned the game off earlier out of frustration. One and a half hours and only managed one stronghold. The rest of the time spent in loading screens, load into tarsis, back to loading screen, back to title screen, load into stronghold, back to loading screen, load into tarsis, back to loading screen, lost connection, no pilot data, rinse and repeat. Even get taken back to Xbox home page sometimes.

Never have I ever had a game this broken, never have I had server or connection issues other than the odd disconnect. It’s very annoying as I just want to play for a few hours, which at this point is nearly impossible.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done. I still played everyday to do all the legendary contracts after the Division 2 came out cause I wanted that 300% damage buff on shield component on the Collosus. Not only did I not get the component I want, I only got about 4 garbage duplicates MWs with bad rolls drop randomly while doing it.

I'm just tired. I'm barely even enjoying myself. I'm just double jumping and bashing my way through the enemies cause I feel like that is the most efficient. Not even using my skills and weapons. It's sad. This game broke me.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Well, I just got a legendary from the first and only GM 2 legendary contract I've done since the loot increase patch so I guess that's nice? No time for further testing today.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I just had a survey about Anthem in my email inbox. It was mainly about how the game met your expectations and how you'd like to see it improve. Check your inbox if you want to fill it out too

Edit: Whoops, I see Pickman already posted about it

Kalik

Nov 1, 2017
when playing as Storm some of the inscriptions talk about gear damage...is gear damage referring to the Blast and Focus seals?...so what is the difference between gear damage versus elemental damage?...Storm's gear abilities are all elemental