• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
And yeah, Aaryn Flynn fucked up with the engine choice. Frostbite has not been doing Bioware any favours. Heck, it's not just Bioware.
It's the way that it isn't designed for open world games that caused the most trouble. You can tell the way it streams the assets and sometimes even hangs in the middle of an area to load the next part not to mention frequent load screens is because that was the infrastructure that worked in Battlefield and they've struggled to work around that to RPG-ify it.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Load into mission, took so long everyone else has moved on. Load to catch up but it took so long, they finished the first objective and moved on. Load to catch up.

This game will die if they dont fix the damn load times

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah when he said that I was like "ohhh, so that's why there's probably no remaster."

However he did say, there's a lot of things in ME1 he wishes they had fixed and he would totally work on a remake or remaster if he could.
Nice. I mean, It's not a Panzer Dragoon Saga-level disaster I suppose, and the game could certainly use some sprucing up, but yeah.

More on topic: How flexible is Frostbite? I don't know a ton about it other than it can produce very pretty games (like Anthem,) but I know nothing about it beyond that.

How much wiggle room does Bioware have to address issues with the game?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
here were many members predicting how this one will end in the demo thread, many people were like "i don´t wanna hear that, it is a demo, it will be much better when the full version arrives!"

instead of believing people who are playing for over 30 years they opted to believing in castles in the sky, there is too much wrong on a technical and gamedesign level with the game to be a competent product and this was already on display in the demo. so, maybe learn the lesson and next time when there are many skeptical voices don´t believe that there will be a 180 on release.
what? I ENJOYED the demo, i was just hoping it'd be more. They deliberately opted to change thing from the demo as far as loot drops and progression for the sake of extending the life of the title.

This has nothing to do with having over 30 years of experience, were you playing Mario Bros on the NES and telling others 'don't believe the demo will improve it, trust me!" lmao. This was just pure optimism from someone who has played Bioware titles for a long time. It's the same optimism that got me with Bungie and Destiny, since I have been playing Bungie for so long.

If they had kept progression and loot drops similar to the demo I wouldn't even care that much.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Regardless of tedium or actual grindy-ness, I think it's a very, very poor introduction to free play as the mode, as it currently stands, seems pretty bad.

To each there own, I though having u play competitive pvp at low lvl in destiny 2 was harsh. I didnt play any of the free play in the demo so was fun for me just to have the freedom and fly around/explore.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Damn, that's tragic.

And yeah, Aaryn Flynn fucked up with the engine choice. Frostbite has not been doing Bioware any favours. Heck, it's not just Bioware.

I believe so, since they've been open about what is and isn't coming on Feb 22.
Aaryn Flynn said it was his decision as general manager, or he just took the blame to avoid putting that on someone else, but assuming he wasn't lying he's now gone and in the future BioWare might be able to consider other engines. Particularly it would make too much sense to me to port Mass Effect 2 or 3 over to UE4 and build a new game from that in the future.

The reason I leave out ME1 is that I follow a former BioWare dev who told me they lost the source code.

Huh? Every Studio at EA is mandated to use Frostbite for the AAA franchises. The only reason Respawn doesn't is they basically say F U to EA about that, and get away with it because...Apex Legends :). Aaryn didn't choose it, he was toeing the company line.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
what? I ENJOYED the demo, i was just hoping it'd be more. They deliberately opted to change thing from the demo as far as loot drops and progression for the sake of extending the life of the title.

This has nothing to do with having over 30 years of experience, were you playing Mario Bros on the NES and telling others 'don't believe the demo will improve it, trust me!" lmao. This was just pure optimism from someone who has played Bioware titles for a long time. It's the same optimism that got me with Bungie and Destiny, since I have been playing Bungie for so long.

If they had kept progression and loot drops similar to the demo I wouldn't even care that much.

well, Mario Bros was a competent product that spoke for itself and there were no demos back in the days

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I mean, It's not a Panzer Dragoon Saga-level disaster I suppose, and the game could certainly use some sprucing up, but yeah.

More on topic: How flexible is Frostbite? I don't know a ton about it other than it can produce very pretty games (like Anthem,) but I know nothing about it beyond that.

How much wiggle room does Bioware have to address issues with the game?

Apparently not flexible enough?

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018

Don't know why they have it like this, but loot drops more frequently and in much better quality in the end game. Masterworks drop pretty frequently and many people have multiple legendaries already. That being said, the game is extremely buggy and while it is nice for the devs to acknowledge that they were already aware of most of them and the patch on the 22nd should help with these problems, it is clear that they were rushed to release. When just a week is supposed to make such a big difference you know things aren't going right. I still have hope that this will be a solid game that continues to grow in the future, but I'm really afraid EA will pull the plug prematurely.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Encountered my first serious bug, friend got it too. We did the first stronghold on hard and beat it. Got loot but not credit in the cortex. He did it later on normal, same thing.

IDK, I like the core gameplay loop of mission—>forge—>base or loading bay. The enemies and missions are about what I expected and the stronghold was challenging and fun on hard, I can see myself replaying it a lot to help folks get through it or just for fun. Bums me out others aren't enjoying it as much judging by the thread. This game is going to be my go to multiplayer game for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so there is still a day one patch for the 22nd? Why would you let it out a week early and sour a lot of people on it? The same thing happened with BFV.

I'd like to make a thread one day about this, but I wonder if their early release tier schedule is actively hurting their sales numbers.

Just from using myself as an example, I'd buy this day 1 a few years ago.

But now with this week long time that people have been playing it, I've been reading more and more impressions, and it's been souring me on it.

Now I'm at the point where I might just get origin basic just to play it for 10 hours then peace out.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
How often does cosmetic armor drop? Like the stuff we got with the deluxe version, that changes your look. Or do you get this stuff only with micro transactions?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Huh? Every Studio at EA is mandated to use Frostbite for the AAA franchises. The only reason Respawn doesn't is they basically say F U to EA about that, and get away with it because...Apex Legends :). Aaryn didn't choose it, he was toeing the company line.
I've suspected the same, but he told Kotaku when they specifically asked him, and he said "I made that choice" and this is even after he had left.

That being said, this former BioWare guy I talked to said he thinks "they did him dirty". I dunno if he meant to say that "they" are EA or BioWare management but he says he thinks they made him take the blame for Andromeda.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It seems pretty clear to me that the open world being divided into smaller instances is due to Frostbite not handling well an open world. That's not something that can be just fixed with a patch. They may reduce the loading times, but loading screens being everywhere will probably be a problem that will plague the game through its lifespan.

Man Frostbite 3 really, really blows for the type of games Bioware makes. I really hope DICE/EA are working on Frostbite 4 right now and that they're designing it with open worlds in mind.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I've suspected the same, but he told Kotaku when they specifically asked him, and he said "I made that choice" and this is even after he had left.

That being said, this former BioWare guy I talked to said he thinks "they did him dirty". I dunno if he meant to say that "they" are EA or BioWare management but he says he thinks they made him take the blame for Andromeda.

I mean, it's no secret that Frostbyte is mandated across all properties, they've talked about it in earnings calls as part of their corporate strategy I thought?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It seems pretty clear to me that the open world being divided into smaller instances is due to Frostbite not handling well an open world. That's not something that can be just fixed with a patch. They may reduce the loading times, but loading screens being everywhere will probably be a problem that will plague the game through its lifespan.

Man Frostbite 3 really, really blows for the type of games Bioware makes. I really hope DICE/EA are working on Frostbite 4 right now and that they're designing it with open worlds in mind.

Or better yet, let Bioware use a different engine.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017

FB engine is good but it has a lot of shortcomings that needs to be adressed next gen. For example the LOD system is atrocious in frostbite games

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not having read all of this, is this game pretty much turning out to be another Destiny? Not a lot to do, repetitive and shallow, some fun with friends?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yea I think I'm done. Got to level 30/ilvl 400+, a couple of masterwork weapons, and switched over to Grandmaster and it's still rather lackluster. The mission design is awful and I just don't care enough to chase the loot because for the most part it's completely meh. Maybe I'll come back in a few months when there's more to do because just artificially increasing the difficulty doesn't do it for me and the loot isn't good enough to keep me interested. The shitty loading screens don't help either.

At least I only paid $15 for it through Origin Premier or I'd be kicking myself in the ass right now. If you're on the fence about this and don't have access to Origin Premier then I'd say spend your money elsewhere.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I posted this exact issue in the preformance thread. This happens almost everywhere. Even when I'm on missions Ill see the other players shooting at things that havent loaded yet into my game. It was suggested installing it on an ssd but I dont see how that would be the problem. Gonna give it a shot though.
Same problem here at times.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not having read all of this, is this game pretty much turning out to be another Destiny? Not a lot to do, repetitive and shallow, some fun with friends?

Destiny's problems were strictly content related and content can always come to a game eventually and make it good like Forsaken did. Anthem's problems go way beyond just content. Anthem needs the Realm Reborn treatment.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Anthem needs the Realm Reborn treatment.
WOOOuyI.gif

Yoshi-P to the rescue!

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
Game breaking bug, can't progress past a story mission 3 attempts same thing. I enter the princess zhim cutscene, when I come out my javelin has no weapons or gear, I can fly around but no abilities then it kicks me to tarsis and the game crashes. Guess I hope for the 22nd.

Oct 30, 2017
That PC Gamer review in progress pretty much encapsulates my view of the game. Gorgeous with fun gameplay bogged down by a lackluster story, uninteresting characters, poor AI, and boring mission designed. It seems like Destiny 1 all over again. And I am not in the mood to wait 2 additional years for Bioware to get it right with the eventual expansions.

Bioware is RIP as far as I'm concerned.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Aaryn Flynn said it was his decision as general manager, or he just took the blame to avoid putting that on someone else, but assuming he wasn't lying he's now gone and in the future BioWare might be able to consider other engines. Particularly it would make too much sense to me to port Mass Effect 2 or 3 over to UE4 and build a new game from that in the future.

The reason I leave out ME1 is that I follow a former BioWare dev who told me they lost the source code.

I don't remember him every saying that, but I wouldn't believe him. The decision for Frostbite to be the De Facto EA engine comes straight from the top, they literally mention it as a core pillar of EA's business strategy in their annual reports.

Well, the more realistic reason is because they weren't bought by EA until after many of their games were in development on their internal engines.

Jan 4, 2018
Man, I'm having fun but the load times and the frequency of them is making me think I should wait until the Day One patch to see if they improve. I regularly load into a mission after everyone has moved on, and immediately start with a warning that I need to catch up, which I don't because I'm playing as a Colossus. Then I get hit with another loading screen to be warped to my teammates. The amount of loading versus actually playing that I do in a mission is at best 50/50.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There is no logical argument for not having match making in destiny raids or any other game for that matter. Allow people to party up who want to and allow others to use match-making, best of both worlds.

No because they will have to dumb the content down so matchmade groups can conceivably finish them. Look at what happed to wow raids in the matchmade version. Every fight became a roflstomp tank and spank.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
The loading screens are a pain in the ass. This kills the game for me. That and the clunky UI and useless main hub.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I don't remember him every saying that, but I wouldn't believe him. The decision for Frostbite to be the De Facto EA engine comes straight from the top, they literally mention it as a core pillar of EA's business strategy in their annual reports.

Well, the more realistic reason is because they weren't bought by EA until after many of their games were in development on their internal engines.
True but I'll eat my hat if you see any Respawn gamed on Frostbitr in the future 😬

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
something tells me they can't just "fix" the load times. it's inherent to how the game is designed. I don't recall other Frostbite games having these types of load time issues

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This game is a mess, on PC atleast. It just took me around 20 minutes to get from the main menu to actually playing the game. Then once I did finally start playing, I died from a bunch of enemies that hadny popped in yet. Yea I dicked around for maybe 5 minutes in the Forge, but still, these load times are insane. Then once it does finally load, you still have to wait for enemies and objects to fully pop in.