• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never gotten a Legendary for a different jav than I was using, luckily. Also luckily, I like all of them except Ranger for now, so I don't mind switching it up.

However, I generally think it's a bad practice. I hated it in Destiny 1--at least in Anthem, a separate javelin isn't a new playthrough. I've just never understood game mechanics that force you to play a way that you don\t want to or don't enjoy. Another shitty incarnation of this spirit is the Assignments in the Battlefield games.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Same here, I got a Colossus legendary while using my Storm :(
I also got a Colossus legendary on my storm yesterday evening, not the first for the wrong class since the patch. When it happened a 2nd time and it was the same component (Reinforced Hull), I checked reddit. Found a few threads on the subject, one saying playing Storm, got Colossus component and a later edit said it was a known bug (but I can't find any actual evidence of that). One of the replies said a Colossus got a Storm component, too. Maybe I should have played more Colossus if I wanted to strive for a pointlessly higher power level for my Storm :/

I knew you could drop lower tier stuff for the other classes, and at lower levels that's fine and a little boost for when you go try them out. But it's a bit painful when they've nerfed almost every source of the rarest drops, so I can't just go and do whatever I fancy with the reassurance that I'm just as likely to be lucky... and it seems most of the class-specific legendaries drop for another since 1.3. Not that it bothers me too much right now, I got almost 20 legendaries so far and got kinda burned out smashing HoR over and over just for a rare chance of a good drop and don't feel the urge to play for a bit, at least not until they revisit loot and add in some worthwhile new content not just trivial freeplay nonsense. One thing I haven't got is any ranger-specific legendary, zfg on that one lol.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I also got a Colossus legendary on my storm yesterday evening, not the first for the wrong class since the patch. When it happened a 2nd time and it was the same component (Reinforced Hull), I checked reddit. Found a few threads on the subject, one saying playing Storm, got Colossus component and a later edit said it was a known bug (but I can't find any actual evidence of that). One of the replies said a Colossus got a Storm component, too. Maybe I should have played more Colossus if I wanted to strive for a pointlessly higher power level for my Storm :/

It's a bug to get several in a row for a different javelin, not to get any for another jevelin. That's intended.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...g_notes_from_103_update/eibonbu/?context=1000

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Any good boss killing Storm builds out there?

My Chaotic Rime + Pocket Infinity (or whatever that lightning attack is called) is good for both killing mobs in GM1 and GM2 but I hit a wall as soon as we get to the Stronghold bosses. Chaotic Rime no longer freezes bosses and the lightning attack takes forever to recharge and only does around 20k damage with all my elemental and gear damage perks. Which i guess isnt bad considering the fact that its almost quadrupaling the base damage which is around 4.7k but still.

I found that Glacier Spear is a lot of damage to a Boss' crit spot. It recharges pretty fast too, but it's a detonator, not a primer. which means i need to swap my Pocket Infinity. But i dont know what to replace it with.

I am also running two elemental storm components (one epic, one masterwork) that increase elemental damage by 35% and reduce physical damage by 35% which means my weapons do shit damage to bosses. i find that its better to run two of those than waste a slot on a Ice, Fire or Lightning component that only gives 5% extra damage.

I'm done playing for now, but a general good vs trash and good vs bosses build that I used was: Stasis Chain and Venomous Blaze. I also used a decently rolled Wyvern Blitz for boss, turret and those big yellow colossus type's weak points. Either that or the Avenging Herald. I also wouldn't bother with the component that lowers weapon damage at all if you can help it. It's not worth the minuscule gains you get for elemental damage. With the way the bonuses stack in this game, each additional bonus to a certain type has diminishing returns. So that 35% bonus elemental damage on top of everything else is only going to add maybe 10% at best, while the -35% physical damage hurts a lot.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, I tried it yesterday afternoon (EDT) and got nothing after 20 nodes with ~300 harvest. Guess I'll try again later. Also random side note, having an SSD in my ps4 pro is a godsend for this game. Shaves so much time off FT and forge loads

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
thanks, I tried it yesterday afternoon (EDT) and got nothing after 20 nodes with ~300 harvest. Guess I'll try again later. Also random side note, having an SSD in my ps4 pro is a godsend for this game. Shaves so much time off FT and forge loads

GM3, right? There's definitely a correlation between masterwork embers and luck, and GM3 naturally boosts luck.

I got about 100 embers last night in about 75 minutes time. Before 1.0.3, my rate was slightly better but that could be chalked up to RNG.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
GM3, right? There's definitely a correlation between masterwork embers and luck, and GM3 naturally boosts luck.

I got about 100 embers last night in about 75 minutes time. Before 1.0.3, my rate was slightly better but that could be chalked up to RNG.
Yeah in GM3. hmm i didnt have any luck on, just in my best harvest gear. maybe I should do a luck set instead

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First Legendary contract for my run this evening, got a not bad rolled Yvenia.

Also got a weird double ammo roll on a Blast Missile haha.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good way to get guns? I know Strongholds for gear, and Legendary Contracts for Components, but I need some Colossus weapons!

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So is there a definitive answer when luck stops being effective? I have a build that gives me +232% luck, is that overkill?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
do 'Agent Contracts' constantly repeat or do they have an end?...I've been doing the same type of Contracts for awhile now and after I finish them they don't show up under my 'Completed Quests'...I'm not talking about the Agent Quests but Agent Contracts...I've also started getting Legendary Contracts even though I'm not at Lvl 30...how can you tell if the Contract is a Legendary one before accepting it?

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
do 'Agent Contracts' constantly repeat or do they have an end?...I've been doing the same type of Contracts for awhile now and after I finish them they don't show up under my 'Completed Quests'...I'm not talking about the Agent Quests but Agent Contracts...I've also started getting Legendary Contracts even though I'm not at Lvl 30...how can you tell if the Contract is a Legendary one before accepting it?
Regular Contracts that you pick up from the three faction leaders never end. After finishing the faction Agent Missions (which it sounds like you've done) unlocks the ability to do a Legendary Contract per faction, per day. You have to pick up 1 regular contract each day for each faction before the Legendary Contract pops up. Where the regular contracts appear on the boards as yellow icons the Legendary Contracts appear as purple icons.
Once you complete your daily Legendaries head back to the boards and pick up the regular contracts. Do not finish them. When you log on the next day you will notice that your Legendaries are ready to be picked up right away. There is little reason to ever do the regular contracts again, the faction XP earned is paltry and rewards... lol.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Legendary Contracts will show up as purple not yellow. And I think they are all never ending.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Regular Contracts that you pick up from the three faction leaders never end. After finishing the faction Agent Missions (which it sounds like you've done) unlocks the ability to do a Legendary Contract per faction, per day. You have to pick up 1 regular contract each day for each faction before the Legendary Contract pops up. Where the regular contracts appear on the boards as yellow icons the Legendary Contracts appear as purple icons.
Once you complete your daily Legendaries head back to the boards and pick up the regular contracts. Do not finish them. When you log on the next day you will notice that your Legendaries are ready to be picked up right away. There is little reason to ever do the regular contracts again, the faction XP earned is paltry and rewards... lol.

good to know...thanks...I thought I read that you needed to be Lvl 30 to start receiving Legendary Contracts but I guess that's not true...so I don't need to complete 1 normal contract before the Legendary one pops up?...I just need to view the normal contract?

g23

Oct 27, 2017
So really. What is there to do after getting fully decked out in Masterwork gear? I feel like the grind for legendaries is just not worth it.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did the latest patch fix anything significant? Wasn't it suppose to drop yesterday?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So really. What is there to do after getting fully decked out in Masterwork gear? I feel like the grind for legendaries is just not worth it.
i am thinking about starting new classes. i have seen collosus completely wreck shit and interceptors deal insane DPS during my GM2 runs. Collosus especially makes GM2 a breeze.

also still tinkering with my main storm build. i think with the right recharge and dps i can be viable in GM2.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
good to know...thanks...I thought I read that you needed to be Lvl 30 to start receiving Legendary Contracts but I guess that's not true...so I don't need to complete 1 normal contract before the Legendary one pops up?...I just need to view the normal contract?
You may need to complete, not sure tbh.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

That's why I never complete normal contracts. I grabbed them the day I unlocked legendary contracts but never started them. This way I save myself the time of going through both contract spiels before accepting.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

yIDu8.jpg

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Bioware posted two big responses to some reddit threads/concerns.

The first was about the invisible walls in Strongholds: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...t_legendary_drop_locked/eihady9/?context=1000

Dear /u/Darthchrisshaw I just wanted to pop in here and apologize for a terrible player experience that I am directly responsible for. As the Stronghold lead the buck stops with me. I can offer explanations but at the end of the day, that doesn't change the experience.

What I really want to do is come in here and explain what we are doing about this so you don't continue to suffer these situations in the Strongholds.
  1. We've disabled every "backtracking" fog wall in the Temple of Scar and Heart of Rage. So as of the next patch, forgive me for not having the exact dates as I'm at home, it should be the next scheduled patch in March. Internally it's called 1.0.4. So once that patch lands you should never run into this situation again in either of those strongholds. (This is different from forward-blocking fog walls which are necessary, those remain in place.) I'm not currently aware of any back-tracking issues in Tyrant Mine, but please call me on it if I'm missing an issue.
  2. Going forward we won't be using these types of setups unless they are for some reason mission critical to the mission. I've yet to see a mission-critical backtracking fog wall so my expectation is that you'll almost never run into this again. And if you do it's likely a bug.
  3. We will continue to strip these out of the existing content as we move forward with continued bug fixing and quality of life improvements. I can't offer specific timelines for when we'll have a complete pass on the game at this time.
  4. Until the patch lands, if you end up in this situation bring up your map and hold down LS (Left Stick) on the controller or Y on your keyboard, this will respawn you and should put you on the correct side of the fog wall. I have yet to see this fail to respawn you in the correct location.
Again I want to reinforce none of this is an excuse and I truly do apologize that we weren't able to correct this prior to launch or until now. I can only promise we will do better by you and the community in the future and try to win your trust back.

Big response from the community manager for a huge list of complaints: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._bioware_whats_going_on/eih2azb/?context=1000

First, I want to thank you for writing this up. I appreciate the honesty of how you (and others) feel about the current state of things. I also want to say that I can't talk about everything, simply because it is not my area of expertise, or because I don't have the information you're looking for. I stand by our statement of being transparent though and will continue to do so here and on other channels.

Now, I want to address some of your points that I can:

Communication -
Pre-game release vs Post game release –

To start, things used to be a lot friendlier here for dev team members who normally don't talk on social channels or forums. They could answer questions, give information and know that they aren't going to have people getting upset at them. Why would a dev team member take time away from working on the next update to post when they know it's likely to be met with hostile replies, or they get flamed because can't answer other questions that players are asking? I don't mind posting here when things aren't so nice, but that's because it's my job. For the devs it isn't their job, and I'd like to ask that people remember that when replying to them. When some people say "be nice or the devs will stop posting" it's 100% true. Be respectful and constructive with your feedback and more team members will likely reply.

Aggravating the community by acknowledging trivial things over major issues –

I have been acknowledging issues that aren't the major ones you mentioned, but that's because I can quickly check in on those and work with the team to see how fast we can get them fixed. I also report major issues, but until I get word back on them there is nothing else I can say. Issues like the Masterwork Embers not dropping I can quickly bring to the attention of the team and we can get fixed. I think it's better that I address the things I can as quickly as I can instead of nothing at all. Also, I try to avoid saying "thanks for the feedback, I'll share with the team" too many times in reply to posts 😊

Loot though? All I can do is point out what studio leadership shares on channels. They are very aware of all the conversation going on around loot and when they have more details to share, they will.

Now for the EA Help Tweet about Quickplay. The reason we asked for this information is to help us track down the remaining issues players are experiencing in Quickplay in one location, and to get more specifics on what they were doing when they encountered the issue. Having all of that information helps the team track down the bugs faster, which means they're more likely to be fixed in the next update, which means they can move on to other parts of the patch sooner (other bugs, content, etc.).

Being confidential about the patch notes –

I said this before, but nothing was hidden on purpose in the patch notes. The truth is patch notes come together late in the update process and I do everything I can to ensure they are accurate, but sometimes things slip by with all the moving pieces. I'd much rather put together patch notes even if they are missing a few things instead of doing generic ones that just say "various bug fixes and improvements". I'll work with the team to get this process better, but we still may miss something from time to time, especially if it is something that gets added to an update late in the process. We will never hide a nerf or change in the patch notes on purpose, even if it's something we know the community won't like. And if we do put in something that the community doesn't like we'll do our best to explain why that particular change was made.

Not Learning from previous mistakes –
I'm not going to comment on the first two points because I didn't work on Andromeda and I know how some players feel about EA, but I do want to talk about you addressing how we're handling feedback.

For feedback, we've made a large number of changes based on what players have told us. Not wanting to run to the Forge every time to launch an expedition? We added the ability to launch anywhere in Fort Tarsis, that was because of player feedback. Wanted to visually see loot drop from bosses in Strongholds? Added because of player feedback. If you are talking about feedback on loot in general (and I'm pretty sure you are) I've already said that the team is discussing and that more will be likely be shared in the coming days. I know everyone wants to know when, but I don't have that answer. We do not ignore any feedback from players, sometimes it just takes a bit longer as things need to be discussed for a longer time. We don't want to say something we can't do or give incorrect information. Like Chad Robertson said in a Tweet, we aren't happy with where loot is either, so know that it's high on our priority list.

Discarding Feedback –
Honestly, reading this stings a bit because I never discard feedback. I love this community and am very thankful for everything that has been brought up such as feedback, bug reports, funny posts (༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ Summon the loot update ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ) and everything in between. I'm open to feedback on what you'd like to see the community team do to make you feel welcomed and appreciated. We do our livestreams, blog posts (like the inscriptions write up), patch notes, helping out with issues when we have the info and more. I am always listening and willing to make changes so please, let us know.

Lack of Content –
I'm not going to go into this too much as it's areas that I don't have control over, or I don't have the exact info on how the team is addressing. Know that I relay the feedback from the community to the team on ALL of these issues. The team is aware, and they are doing a lot of work to address these concerns.

Turning a good game bad –
All I'll say on this is that Anthem is here to stay. Do we have a lot of work to do to fix parts of the game? Yes, and the team is committed to making improvements and releasing new content.

Conclusion –
Again, I want to thank this community for everything. The team is listening to all of your feedback for Anthem on how you'd like to see the game improve, or how you'd like to see us engage with the community differently. I know that players want to see updates faster, but these things can take time to make sure they are done right. We're very appreciative of this community and look forward to the days, weeks, months and years ahead. Strong Alone, Stronger Together.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
are there like NO masterwork support gears for rangers or what? ive had the same epic one for a LONG time.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

The first was about the invisible walls in Strongholds: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...t_legendary_drop_locked/eihady9/?context=1000

Big response from the community manager for a huge list of complaints: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._bioware_whats_going_on/eih2azb/?context=1000

I hope they continue to release communications like this. I know it takes a lot of time, but these direct responses help me feel a lot more confident in the game's future.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I got 2 masterwork drops on Tyrant mine and the game crashed when we killed the boss.

I'm tired, frustrated and disappointed.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a solid reason why any gear shouldn't have a primer or a detonator on it?

I can only really speak for Colossus stuff, but none of them that lack a prime/detonate is anywhere near strong enough on its own to make up for it.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I got 2 masterwork drops on Tyrant mine and the game crashed when we killed the boss.

I'm tired, frustrated and disappointed.

It sucks, but at least you should have the MW items next time you get to the end expedition screen.

Can't seem to get weapon mw drops tonight, nothing but abilities and components

Guns have been really low on drops lately. I've been trying to get the MW versions of the Colossus guns, and it's been real slow.

Hopefully they get it sorted out soon.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Look, I'll repeat again the same thing I said previously, take it from me, as a player who brought into Rainbow Six Siege in he beginning, at this point no form of feedback, from unconstructive statements to essays on the loot will solve the problems like lack of content and reworking systems. They will take months of work, of Dev time, and the result is your not gonna see instant change. On Reddit particularly, I see a ton of responses regarding the player population fading away, pleas for Bioware to do something but the simple fact is that this content needs time to be made and nothing can be done to change the game here and now.

If you can't play the game anymore cause you finished the content, drop it. If your frustrated, drop it, if your spending your days waiting for new stuff, just walk away. Check in every so often on Reddit if you want, but don't spend your time focusing on the game in the hopes things will change immediately. There are plenty of games to enjoy and the best thing about GaaS is that you have maybe 50/50 Anthem will be supported long term. If your feeling ripped off, I can't smoothe that than to warn you about preordering and buying new games. If it makes you feel better, I brought Andromeda at full price....on one hand I sympathize with criticism about the game, on the other, alot of people need to walk away and accept the current situation as is.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't seem to get weapon mw drops tonight, nothing but abilities and components
what difficulty are you playing on?

On GM2, i got two legendaries. one weapon and one component. i played three contracts and three strongholds. got around 20-25 masterworks. one stronghold dropped 7 masterworks, one dropped five. out of of those 20-25, i would say 5 were weapons.

I was able to do GM2 pretty easily today. there were some games where no one could do any damage and i had to quit out, but in some games we pretty much breeze through it.

i know reddit wants them to open the floodgates but i think 4-7 masterworks per stronghold isnt that bad. of course i had my luck up very high but oddly enough, i only got 4 masterworks when my luck was 140, and 7 when my luck was only 50.

i think what they should do is guarantee a legendary from the GM2 boss. it will keep players coming back for more. and maybe slightly increase the chance of enemies dropping MW in GM2. right now, most of my MWs come from chests despite high luck.

I truly believe that they want people to go to GM3 and no one is doing it. everyone is upset over the loot cave nerf. its bizarre tbh. i am a destiny player and we grinded for weeks just to do the raid and then another few weeks to do that hard raid. the BEST loot was in the hard mode raid. The Vex Mythlocast, the Fatebringer, the legendary helmet that you needed to get to level 30. i dont know why the anthem community is so apprehensive about not wanting to try out harder difficulties. yes, GM2 was grindy in the beginning but after some experimentation and research i found a build that lets me survive and deal massive damage.

im not saying loot shouldnt be fixed. there needs to be more of it. but i think GM2 is where its at and i just dont see people here and on reddit playing on GM2 regularly.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

This is good.

It sucks that... well, the game can suck so much. Cause Bio's communication can be top notch when they're willing to do it, but I wouldn't wade into a toxic cesspool either. Trouble is, the toxicity can be somewhat justified here.

Oct 30, 2017
Look, I'll repeat again the same thing I said previously, take it from me, as a player who brought into Rainbow Six Siege in he beginning, at this point no form of feedback, from unconstructive statements to essays on the loot will solve the problems like lack of content and reworking systems. They will take months of work, of Dev time, and the result is your not gonna see instant change. On Reddit particularly, I see a ton of responses regarding the player population fading away, pleas for Bioware to do something but the simple fact is that this content needs time to be made and nothing can be done to change the game here and now.

If you can't play the game anymore cause you finished the content, drop it. If your frustrated, drop it, if your spending your days waiting for new stuff, just walk away. Check in every so often on Reddit if you want, but don't spend your time focusing on the game in the hopes things will change immediately. There are plenty of games to enjoy and the best thing about GaaS is that you have maybe 50/50 Anthem will be supported long term. If your feeling ripped off, I can't smoothe that than to warn you about preordering and buying new games. If it makes you feel better, I brought Andromeda at full price....on one hand I sympathize with criticism about the game, on the other, alot of people need to walk away and accept the current situation as is.

I agree and I think it's well said. I've enjoyed the game a lot and now at the post game stuff. besides jumping in here and there to get some MW loot, I'll probably play other games until a new update. I think it's best for a lot of people to just come back to this instead of getting frustrated. If they don't support it, it doesn't matter, if they do then you'll have new stuff to come back to.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
what's the difference between doing a Stronghold in Public matchmaking versus doing a QuickPlay Stronghold?...aren't they both the same thing?...I know you get more XP/bonuses with Quickplay but what's the difference in terms of matchmaking?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Masterwork universal components suck when you're gearing up a new class to get over the initial squishyness moving into GM1. Used to be you'd be set after a few LC's but no more! Apologies to all of the people who matched with me last night and either had to spend too much time reviving my ass or because I spent too much time out of the fight. :(

Is there a good way to get guns? I know Strongholds for gear, and Legendary Contracts for Components, but I need some Colossus weapons!
There's a small pool of MW items that drop in hard that include 8 weapons (9 if you're playing colossus) so that's a decent way to get a few, and as an added bonus you can get through the content nice and quick. Once you have all of those though it's GM1+ and pray to RNGesus.

what's the difference between doing a Stronghold in Public matchmaking versus doing a QuickPlay Stronghold?...aren't they both the same thing?...I know you get more XP/bonuses with Quickplay but what's the difference in terms of matchmaking?
The point of QP is to backfill missions that are short, so in that mode you have a chance to drop in after the start (and possibly/probably) with a bugged mission. If you select it just from the SH menu it *should* start you from the beginning. So until QP gets more stable I wouldn't do it unless you a) could use the XP (pointless at the moment once you're max level) or b) you need them for the Challenge of Valor.

Trouble is, the toxicity can be somewhat justified here.
I'm going to assume your wording here isn't the best, but as far as I'm concerned toxicity can NEVER be justified. Of course people can be (and are) justifiably disgruntled with their experience and are welcome to share feedback on it, but there's never an excuse to cross the line into toxic behaviour.

Last edited: